PDA

View Full Version : What are symptoms of female in heat?

Kelly Brady
06-01-2010, 08:47 PM
My seven month old girl (Paco) is acting jittery and grumpy and I am wondering if it is her in heat. So many questions...Is there any way to know for sure?
She is inspecting that area quite often today. The genitals look normal. Under her white fur, the area around genitals may be slightly pink. She is also rubbing her little self along any thing she can, ie: rubbing her heiny along everything. She has never ever bitten hard but is a long time pincher with teeth. She is doing a lot of that today bordering on the hard side. Seems out of sorts.

Do they visibly bleed?

Her best friend is a one year old male, Peanut, he does not seem bothered at all. I figured a female in heat would make him crazy.

She is pooping just fine, She may be wilding up which would be so nice for her even though it would break my heart she will be soft released if so.

I think I read where heat lasts only one day but can't find the thread that said that. Any input would be wonderful, Thanks so much.

squirrely pearly
06-01-2010, 10:23 PM
hey Kelly, I had Pearly for a yr and half, and they go in heat 2 xs a year, in Feb and end of may(which is now) 1 day is all it last..like 8 hours. Thats what I've read. but they also say they can show symptoms of heat for 5 days. Since pearly took off I have read anything and everything on the subject!! I remember back in Feb she acted just like you described, all in a few days..when she p p'd it was pink, and she was mean for a couple of days.
I thought she was done with me! lol but it didn't last. So I have thought since..that she was in heat back then. I'm sure thats all it is..if she was outside right now, she'd have 5-10 males chasing her around for a day..8 hours. I witnessed that myself in the trees while looking for Pearly. 1 female out on the tip of a small branch, cornered while 1 male protected her and warded off the other males. there were like 5 males jumping around up there.(worried me to pieces that Pearly was going through that) then the next day, silence..not a squirrel in sight. Then I saw that happen with differnt squirrels every other day or so, even up until last thursday.
Not sure when males mature to notice heat in regards to your little fella not paying any attention to it.
Hope everything is ok with Paco but sure it's nothing to worry about.:Love_Icon

Kelly Brady
06-02-2010, 10:06 AM
Thanks squirrelypearly,

It was your thread I think that I read about the heat info. When you are so tight on time it is hard to remember where to locate a thread you read. Your info really helps. I am reminded by my husband that even if Paco is wilding up she is really not releasable. I think she has some developmental issues. She got loose outside once and doesn't even climb trees well. She is savey in the outdoor cage but she goes to jump to you and misses and has other real issues. She was found by some folks walking and she was laying in a wet puddle and crying and soooo cold. She was nearly starved to death. She just isn't like any of the other squirrels I have released. I so strive to have them be in the trees as a squirrel should but really feel in my belly she is not going to do well. As my husband puts it, "she is just not right in the head"
:dono
I bet you are right and your info helped. She rubs her booty on my jeans and then my male comes behind her and checks that area out all day yesturday. come to think of it their has been a huge number of squirrels around the outdoor cage the past few days. Oh my little girl is a woman.:rotfl
She just looks like she is wired and does nothing but bite, not hard but constantly pinching and pushing it to where it hurts. I guess we all get grumpy at that time. I'd bite during "that time" too if it were acceptable. Ha

squirrely pearly
06-02-2010, 03:25 PM
haha@ on biting yourself during that time..I think some around me would definately say I do bite!
I have this secret wish that I'd kept Pearly instead of releasing her..but then I know she would never have gotten to be in the trees..it's more for my benefit than hers that I wish that. I just want to know she's alive and ok.
I have come to accept that she is just wild now! I still have my pangs of missing her so much, she was my little sunshine!
Pearly I didn't think I was going to be able to release either because of her misaligned teeth, but over time she got over all that.

Seems like you might have yourself a little pet squirrely! and it sounds like she's just fine there with you, (except for the heat thing)..I'm sure the biting will get over with soon. Pearly went through that stage and then out of it again. It was winter when she did it, and I didn't want to start her outside in the cold though I wish I'd put her release cage out there in the winter so she would know how to handle it better. But I guess she'll figure it out.
If not I'll have a few nest boxes in the trees for her, and the other little females I've come to know out there since her departure into the wild world.

take care..I'd love to hear your stories with Paco as you go along, so keep us posted!

Kelly Brady
06-02-2010, 07:57 PM
haha@ on biting yourself during that time..I think some around me would definately say I do bite!
I have this secret wish that I'd kept Pearly instead of releasing her..but then I know she would never have gotten to be in the trees..it's more for my benefit than hers that I wish that. I just want to know she's alive and ok.
I have come to accept that she is just wild now! I still have my pangs of missing her so much, she was my little sunshine!
Pearly I didn't think I was going to be able to release either because of her misaligned teeth, but over time she got over all that.

Seems like you might have yourself a little pet squirrely! and it sounds like she's just fine there with you, (except for the heat thing)..I'm sure the biting will get over with soon. Pearly went through that stage and then out of it again. It was winter when she did it, and I didn't want to start her outside in the cold though I wish I'd put her release cage out there in the winter so she would know how to handle it better. But I guess she'll figure it out.
If not I'll have a few nest boxes in the trees for her, and the other little females I've come to know out there since her departure into the wild world.

take care..I'd love to hear your stories with Paco as you go along, so keep us posted!

Oh squirrely P, I secretly want to keep all of them too with all of my heart, but you have it right. We have to look out for them. I will really work on Paco to help her to try to hit the trees. It is like my human kids, I could really try to keep them dependent on Mom and could probably do it, but my goal is to set them free to live their life independently. My 23 year old has moved to georgia and hit the trees so to speak herself. She is doing so well but you talk about hurt, watching her loaded up to move away with a fiance took a huge hunk of my heart with her. We just have to pat ourselves on the back and say "a job well done":shakehead
I feel it in my heart when you say you miss your baby Pearly. Hey, I have an idea, since you have done this now and are experienced, why don't you put the word out and help another little baby munchkin. That is what I keep doing. I am in a legal state though and can't recall if you are or not. But word travels fast and I had 5 this winter. I helped a large pet store here locally and they had alot of babies and only three people to take them, so put all of your love and talent into some more. So many need help.:bowdown
I will keep you posted on Paco and you be sure to notify me immediatly of a pearly sighting ok?

mommahammie
04-06-2012, 01:38 PM
Hey I really need someone's help I have a female squirrel named Hammie & shes almost a yr old. All this a.m. she's been making weird noises & staying to herself in her bed shes not being mean shes her normal self but the noise wont stop & it looks like she has the hiccups the noises sound horrible to me will someone please help me.... Shes even making the noises while shes laying down she lets me hold her & all but the noises wont stop & her tail is fluffed out & shaking its so weird the noises are all the time now what do i do it sounds like a really bad cough with the weird noise... Everything else is normal about her just the loud & horrible noises with the tail shaking what do i do i feel so bad for her cuz she does look sick.... Please help

Kelly Brady
04-06-2012, 01:50 PM
Hi Mommahammie,

You may want to start your own thread in an emergency section but not sure this noise sounds like a squirrel in heat to me.
Is Hammie sleeping an extra amount of time?
Also very important. What is Hammies diet in as much detail as you can give us?
I would like to see you start a new thread in Life threatening section to address Hammie only and rehabbers see those threads much more quickley and help you as soon as possible to find out what is going on with your precious Hammie.

Scooterzmom
04-06-2012, 02:41 PM
Hey I really need someone's help I have a female squirrel named Hammie & shes almost a yr old. All this a.m. she's been making weird noises & staying to herself in her bed shes not being mean shes her normal self but the noise wont stop & it looks like she has the hiccups the noises sound horrible to me will someone please help me.... Shes even making the noises while shes laying down she lets me hold her & all but the noises wont stop & her tail is fluffed out & shaking its so weird the noises are all the time now what do i do it sounds like a really bad cough with the weird noise... Everything else is normal about her just the loud & horrible noises with the tail shaking what do i do i feel so bad for her cuz she does look sick.... Please help

mommahammie: POST IN EMERGENCY - LIFE THREATENING so as to get attention quicker! I'll send a PM now to someone, but do post in Emergency so others can all see it.

lilidukes
04-06-2012, 03:01 PM
mommahammie this is not being in heat.....sounds like she is chocking on something. Many very good squirrel vets in your area. I would get her to one asap!!!

island rehabber
04-06-2012, 03:19 PM
Hold on everybody: THIS SOUNDS LIKE A VERY FREAKED-OUT SQUIRREL TO ME. She is doing the "alarm reaction". Whine/barking sound, fluffed tail, cannot be stopped or consoled.

What has changed today in her environment? Is there a dog barking, a leaf blower, somebody using power tools? Are you playing osme kind of music or using a new appliance? Is there a kid playing a loud video game? All these things will send a squirrel into the "Alarm Mode" and they can't be talked out of it...it must run its course.

Could this be what you're seeing? You can fast forward to .50....

VIDEO:
http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee475/islandrehabber/th_DSCN1154.jpg (http://s1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee475/islandrehabber/?action=view&current=DSCN1154.mp4)

mommahammie
04-06-2012, 08:06 PM
Hey i really dont know how to use this comp. to well esp. this squirrel board thing so if you could please email me your replys im sorry i hate comp. sometimes lol my email is tiffanyrudd123@gmail.com But we dont have her on any special foods we feed her like we have been doing our 4yr old squirrel peanut (male) but we feed them anything & everything peacans fruits crackers chips nuts leafs etc. we have been doing this since shes been born shes almost a yr now but the noise sounds like she barking & her tail is fluffed & i think something freaked her out like scared she made one of these noises before but not this long & the other noise is new too shes not eating that much & she kinda acts like she has teh hiccups but if someone could email me back cuz i dont know how to use this board too much i get confused lol hope i get something back soon

Scooterzmom
04-06-2012, 08:21 PM
You have to keep checking back here as well as your email mommieh. First of all, your little fuzzers need a big change in diet. What you describe they have been getting is much too low in the nutrients they absolutely need (calcium, vitamin d, etc). Without these important nutrients they can and will develop MBD (metabolic bone diesease) which is very painful and can lead to death very quickly.

I don't know if maybe your little one might be in pain and may be panicking out of that, or what exactly it is but... I would start the emergency MBD treatment for sure, because she will have to go on a high calcium diet to compensate for the lack of it until now.

in order to go check different threads on the forum, look at the top on the left - below the big main title THE SQUIRREL BOARD, and in blue there click on the blue link that says The squirrel board, then go to the link you feel is most appropriate.

Scooterzmom
04-06-2012, 08:28 PM
As I said, I'm not sure if it's MBD or not, but just so you'd know how to proceed if others more expert than I am tell you to do it, here is what you'd need to know:

This is important... some squirrels can coast for quite awhile on the wrong diet, but eventually it does catch up with them. So your squirrels BOTH will need some changes in their diets. I know you mean well and I'm not attacking you for it, we all mean well for them and many of us had to learn the hard way that the wrong nutrition can be fatal :( The changes in their regular diet is just prevention for the good of your little ones.

If the rehabbers tell you to administer the MB treatment, here it is (got it from the sticky in the nutrition thread/forum:
Emergency Treatment for MBD

Get calcium into the squirrel IMMEDIATELY, not later, not tomorrow, NOW.
Delaying treatment can cause death or permanent paralysis.

You will need:
Tums, rolaids, or calcium supplement (any kind)
a syringe or spoon
Crush one pill and add a little water or fruit juice to make a paste. Use the syringe or spoon to force-feed the mixture, a little at a time, until it is all gone.

After you give the initial dose of calcium, give 100 mg calcium every 4 hours. If symptoms return or do not improve, try dosing more often: every 3 hours. Severe cases may need 50 mg calcium every 2 hours.

Your squirrel's symptoms should improve within a few hours; within 1-3 days your squirrel should be alert, active, and eating, with no seizures or paralysis. You should be giving 500-600 mg calcium per day. Keep track of how many doses you give so you can adjust the dosage if needed. You should work with TSB members to do this.

Important!

Any kind of calcium pill is okay for the initial dose. But you must use PLAIN calcium carbonate (without Vit D) from then on.

Many small doses of calcium throughout the day/night are best to keep blood calcium levels as steady as possible.

If symptoms worsen or return, give an emergency dose of 100 mg calcium, then consult with TSB members or a rehabber or veterinarian to adjust the dosing schedule. Relapses are very serious and often fatal.

White feces or a white film on dried urine may mean the dosage can be reduced, as this indicates not all of the calcium is being absorbed. It may also mean you need to give smaller doses more often.

The acute symptoms (weakness, lethargy, seizures, paralysis) will usually improve within a few hours, but this does not mean the squirrel is cured. It will take many months to rebuild the calcium in the bones. (See the "Long-Term Treatment for MBD" below.)

More Tips

MBD causes brittle bones that break easily. You should pad the bottom of your squirrel's cage and keep him away from high places, where he might jump and break a bone.

Heat is very soothing for a squirrel with MBD. A heating pad turned to low and placed so they cannot chew the pad or cord, or a rice buddy (a sock filled with dry rice/beans and microwaved for about 20 seconds) will work. Squirrels with hind-end paralysis may benefit from gentle massage of the legs and hips.

Long-Term Treatment for MBD

The next step to curing MBD is to fix the diet.

1. Remove ALL seeds, nuts, corn, and treats, including stashes.

2. Follow the Healthy Diet For Pet Squirrels, which can be found here: http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=32046 and on the Henry’s Healthy Pets website (http://www.henryspets.com/pages/Healthy-Diet.html). Your squirrel MUST eat rodent blocks or squirrel blocks every day (either 2 Henry's Healthy Squirrel Blocks per day, or a small handful of commercial rodent block per day). If you choose to feed commercial rodent blocks, which are extremely hard, you should crush them up with peanut butter, yogurt, fruit juice, avocado, baby food, etc., to make them easier to chew and improve the taste.

3. You will need to continue giving extra calcium every day for many weeks. You can use a syringe or spoon, or you can mix the calcium with a small amount of peanut butter, crushed nuts, yogurt, baby food, or any food the squirrel likes. An easy way to dose the calcium is to mix 500 mg of calcium powder with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter or other tasty food and roll it into 5 little balls; each ball will contain 100 mg calcium.

Calcium Dosage:

Continue to give 500-600 mg calcium per day for 1 week. Then try reducing the total daily amount by 50 mg. If the squirrel remains stable for 1 week, reduce the daily amount by another 50 mg. Continue this weekly reduction until the squirrel is only getting around 100 mg of extra calcium per day. Continue this for at least another 2 weeks. If at any time symptoms return, give an emergency 100 mg dose, then go back to a higher dosage for 1-2 weeks.

The treatment for each squirrel may be slightly different and you should work with a rehabber or TSB members to tailor the treatment to your squirrel's needs. Depending on the age of the squirrel, severity of disease, and other factors, your squirrel may need extra calcium for many months, perhaps for life.

Important Information
The MBD treatment is a "standardized" treatment that will get most cases on the road to recovery. But every case is different and the treatment should be customized to each squirrel. Severe cases sometimes need more aggressive treatment. There is a limit to how much calcium the body can absorb at one time, so lower doses of calcium given more often is the key with severe cases.

What is MBD?
Calcium is a very important nutrient. It strengthen the bones, but also plays a vital role in all body functions. Every cell in the body contains water plus small amounts of dissolved minerals such as calcium, sodium, magnesium, and potassium. These minerals allow the cells to transmit small electrical signals. Without this cell-to-cell communication, the organs can't function: your heart can't beat, your nerves can't transmit impulses; in fact, you would die.

When there isn't enough calcium in the diet, the body will dissolve the calcium from the bones and use that instead. This eventually causes the bones to become depleted of calcium. Eventually the bones become so depleted, there isn't enough calcium left to maintain sufficient calcium in the cellular fluids, and the organs can't function properly. This is what causes the symptoms of MBD: loss of appetite, lethargy, muscle pain, paralysis, seizures, and eventually death. Humans don't get this type of severe MBD, partly because our calcium requirement is lower and our bones are much bigger, allowing us to store more calcium.

By giving high doses of calcium orally, you are artificially maintaining your squirrel's blood calcium levels because his bones no longer contain enough calcium to maintain his calcium levels normally.

Once the emergency calcium is given, your squirrel's blood calcium levels should normalize fairly quickly. He should "bounce back" and act normal or almost normal. If you are still seeing symptoms such as seizures, loss of appetite, lethargy, or paralysis, the calcium levels may still be too low. This means the body will try to pull the remaining calcium from the bones, which means the MBD is actually getting worse. So stabilizing blood calcium levels is critical. The next step to actually curing the MBD is rebuilding bone. This is the part that takes a long time.

Stabilizing the blood calcium levels can and must be done quickly. In severe cases, calcium may be needed more often throughout the day and night, as often as every 2 hours.

mommahammie
04-06-2012, 08:55 PM
well its been bout one good hr & she hasnt made any noises like she was doing she eatting now & still running around like crazy my dad & I just think something scared her but we dont know what but we cant do anything about it cuz we jsut dont know what did excatly scare her but we are going to change both of their feeding habbits like yall gave me instructions so thanks alot & i really appreciate yall giving me the advice & tips on my squirrels thanks so much & again if yall would like to keep in contact just email me tiffanyrudd123@gmail.com cuz i probably wont be back on here thanks again for all the support & i hope yall email me & we can stay in touch thanks again :)