PDA

View Full Version : Releasing Otis?

Joelle
06-01-2010, 12:57 PM
So Otis is a little over 3 months old, and still eating formula (from a dish) twice daily. Additionally he gets endless amounts of rodent block, and a good amount of veggies and occasionally fruits and nuts as well! A week ago we moved his cage outside onto my patio, so that he could start getting used to the sounds of the outdoors. Today was the first day that I let him out to explore the outside a bit, and it didn't last past 20 minutes because my neighbors' landscapers came and the lawnmowers scared him back into his nesting box. He was very excited to run around, but didn't get off the porch! I imagine it'll take a bit more time until he's comfortable enough to make it over to the trees. At this point he only gets handled by myself and my boyfriend, though living with my mother she occasionally feeds him a treat or two through the bars. I had a friend the other day who went near the cage and OH BOY was there a stink to be made by Otis! (I was very proud of him but I didn't want her to know!) I'm glad that he's not getting to fond of other people, which will probably make his release less dangerous for him, and the neighbors. However, this is my first release, and I love him dearly, so I have a couple of questions and I'm looking for any advice!

Now my questions are
1) I thought at 12 weeks they started to refuse formula.. He's more around 13-14 weeks old at this point, is it unusual for him to continue eating? (I read someone still has a 6 month old who likes it!)
2) I've been letting him run a bit outside, but I'm afraid to let him out on days when I only have an hour or two to spend with him, for fear that he may not come home when I need to leave. Is it okay to just leave his cage open in that event? So if he returns home late he can let himself into his nesting box?
3) Any other suggestions for making Otis' release as easy as possible for him?
4) I live in a suburban area, any additional precautions (cars, dogs, opposums) that I should know about?

Jackie in Tampa
06-01-2010, 01:47 PM
Please keep otis outside a bit longer in his release cage...he really needs to be under a tree where other sqs are visible...and he needs to be older...their momma is very close by when you see babies, and she is the teacher...
We cannot do that natural instinct with them, so it takes longer for them to catch on. They need to bark when the wilds bark, and flick their tails to alert danger. They need to hear the night noises.
Do not interact with him anymore near or after dark.
He needs to learn to stay in his nest box...

the cage...is there a small door that nothing but a sq can get in...?
If not, when the time comes open his big door and put hardware cloth over entire opening and cut out a sq sized hole...the hard ware cloth needs to be very secure where a coon cannot get it off...I personally prefer two small entrance holes. The higher the better.
Never put a cage on the ground...they do not like being low, they feel vunerable, and they are.
do you have trees?
He will need an independant nest box hung high in a tree.

Native food must be added to his diet daily... a bucket of dirt also.
His cage needs at least half the roof covered...
never put release cage in direct sun.
If you have dogs/cats...I advise you to let someone else do your release as Otis needs to be wilded up so he is terrified of dogs/cats...imprinting is very hard to reverse and his release should be done by a pro.

If he is used to water bottle, also add a bowl of water.

Let me give you a really big tip...when you open that door and let him play around outside...you have released him...and if he so chooses to run...he's gone...and he is too young and has not been outside long enough.
How big is his cage?
It needs to be big enough that for the next three weeks or so he gets enough excersize to stay in tip top shape...he needs to be agile and ready.
Please read other posts on releases...
although I have done many, I am not a rehabber and think you should get others advise.
Keep feeding him formula too...keep him strong and healthy...
Others will disagree with his age being too young, but I stand with my advise...I put cages outside when they are 5 months old and they stay 3-4 weeks, until I see them acting like the wilds!
They need to know what rain is...what hawks sound like, what fences have dogs behind them...
the life of a city sq is never easy...nor for a counrty sq either...
Hope this helps and others come and post their version of release also..Good luck Sweet Otis.:Love_Icon
Thank you for caring and loving him...I know you want whats best.:grouphug

CritterMom
06-01-2010, 01:55 PM
My plan for a release cage has a small door within the door with a 3" opening that will act as the release opening. 3" is plenty for a squirrel to get in and out through - this is the same size hole that is on the nest boxes - but too small for most predators to get through. You don't want your squirrel to return to a wide open cage where a predator can trap it inside the cage and kill it, or drag it out of the nest box. A 3" opening excludes almost everything.

Joelle
06-01-2010, 02:06 PM
Thank you for all of that info! It's supposed to be stormy for the next few days, so I was planning on keeping him under the awning a bit longer.. this way he gets used to the storms slowly. His current cage is about 5x4x2 1/2.. a big ferret cage. Not as big as I would have liked (a normal rehab size), but it does give him a bit of room to exercise, and he has plenty of branches. I HAVE noticed him already starting to become a little more wild, as far as tail flicking, and chattering... I wasn't sure if people let them out and get acclimated slowly, though you raised a great point that he may end up disappearing and then I wouldn't be able to further assist him. I plan to continue to leave rodent block, veggies and fruits out for him this summer, and through out the winter, to assist him (if he wants!). The small door is a great idea! We don't have many raccoons in the area, but it'd be good to keep out anything as far as cats or oppossums if the need arises. I'll definitely be adding some dirt to the cage to give him some more experience with burying. I know he is a bit young, but I also want him to get a head start with gathering for the fall and winter, and I'm afraid if he doesn't get released past July it may be difficult. I'll have to keep a close eye on him to see how he's coming along. Thank you again for your advice! :thankyou

virgo062
06-01-2010, 02:09 PM
Jackie has pretty much covered everything...The only thing I can add is age is not a factor in my house the Squirrels will tell you when it's time for release. They will also wean themselves so if he is still nursing I would not suggest letting him out to play because a big mean squirrel could scare him off and he would sit terrified in a big scary tree. Let him have the formula for as long as he wants it...Let nature take over and it will work out best for everyone.

Fireweed
06-01-2010, 02:17 PM
Wow. I so appreciate this thread. Great help, so far. :thumbsup

I have a couple questions, too. Hope you don't mind Otis. :)

Would two 3" 'release doors' be better than one or will it just invite more visitors? I keep thinking another squirrel will get in and there will be some fight that my little one can't get out of if there is only one entry/exit... Yes, I'm paranoid. :D

And for the nestbox: Are the two story ones better or worse? And those balconies and extra holes and porches and things...worth it? :dono

Jackie in Tampa
06-01-2010, 02:21 PM
here are a few examples in my release cages...
not a good pic taker, nor do I have the bestess's release cages...but they are study and maintained and have been used many times safely to get precious babies to the trees.
Hope this helps.
The door in the door works well.

MInd you...these cages are now just hang outs...and the kids have their freddom, so there is no grenery and goodies...
if I dare say they are empty, someone will want me to do their releases{this happened this year already and I had over 30 to do myself}. so ......I can loan these cages if needed, but I cannot afford to release for anyone else, I do not have income!
If a hefty donation is made, I may consider. Hard to feed my own, sorry.

Jackie in Tampa
06-01-2010, 02:41 PM
Wow. I so appreciate this thread. Great help, so far. :thumbsup

I have a couple questions, too. Hope you don't mind Otis. :)

Would two 3" 'release doors' be better than one or will it just invite more visitors? I keep thinking another squirrel will get in and there will be some fight that my little one can't get out of if there is only one entry/exit... Yes, I'm paranoid. :D

And for the nestbox: Are the two story ones better or worse? And those balconies and extra holes and porches and things...worth it? :donoMy cages have two 3inch doors for that exact reason,
and as long as the nest box is deep enough where a coon arm cannot reach the bottom ,it's a good nest box...fancy is always sweeeet!:D
I build mine from scrap plywood, no two are the same, none are pretty, but the ones in the trees are built to with stand hurricane winds...None say HILTON!

Fireweed
06-01-2010, 03:33 PM
Thanks, Jackie! :thumbsup

Jackie in Tampa
06-01-2010, 03:51 PM
if I dare say they are empty, someone will want me to do their releases{this happened this year already and I had over 30 to do myself}. so ......I can loan these cages if needed, but I cannot afford to release for anyone else, I do not have income!
If a hefty donation is made, I may consider. Hard to feed my own, sorry.
just want to clarafy this...
:peace This did not mean Brenna and Tessa...as they are my girls too!:Love_Icon :Love_Icon
or Olivia and Elliot, or any TSB sq that I have released for that matter.

I currently have a older meaner than a pole cat sq here that bit the poop outta me yesterday, he needed alot of time here....
I took him in as another local'ish rehabber did not have room and suggested me...
He was left by his family like I was supposed to feed him , like it was my job..:shakehead
His mom visits in her new car and talks about her horses...you would think she would have realized by now that nuts and such aren't cheap and there is no mola tree in my back yard....:hissyfit

:peace I felt I needed to clarify that before I hurt anyones feelings!
besides all my TSB friends always drop off their kids with goodie bags!:bowdown

I have been hassled in the past when we were needy, by a troll and his side kick!:shakehead and I ain't ever asking for help again!:thumbsup
I simply cannot afford to take in sqs anymore!:shakehead

sorry to thread jack!:tilt
:poke now back to our regular release question thread:D

squirrely pearly
06-01-2010, 06:36 PM
2 holes I think are best because it gives them another escape if another squirrel comes in. My girl Pearly started in her release cage with a nest box up top..the cage was 8 foot tall. she stayed in there for about 2 weeks..then the other squirrels learned the entrances and she moved out..to another nest box I had placed high in the tree. She stayed there for another 2 weeks..one day I knew she was in there napping while I was outside and I saw another squirrel poke its head in (her nest boxes both had 2 stories with 2 exits also and a hole in the middle to move to the other level. 1 exit up top, 1 exit on the bottom floor. she went out of the back exit when that happened. she only stayed in there another few days. Where she is living right now I don't know..but I think she moved in with a fella:nono
I think the boys come back for visits more than the girls..because the girls get preggers and have to prepare.

I would definately be careful letting Otis out for play as Virgo said..they can be gone in a second, especially I imagine so young as your boy..and be stuck up in a tree for the night. Or get run off by a older squirrel..I've learned the hard way..they don't come back to you so easy once the wild sets in..and it can set in fast!!::thinking :Love_Icon
good luck! sounds like you are off to a good start