PDA

View Full Version : sick squirrels

srichko53
05-31-2010, 03:47 PM
Can someone tell me what might be causing some squirrels where i live to have lumps around their eyes and they scratch them to the point they bleed. these squirrels all look like they have some type of disease , its only around their eyes and i have watched one till it has now lost its eye. the lumps look black at the beginng then they become bare.

Jackie in Tampa
05-31-2010, 03:50 PM
ugh...
mange will attack the ears first....crusty and then the face...
can you post a pic?
I have seen plenty of skeeters too...double ugh...
I certainly hope you are not seeing pox...:shakehead

where are you in florida?

Jackie in Tampa
05-31-2010, 03:58 PM
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=165
this is a link to the pox forum...
and you have found the mange forum...
do any of these pics resemble what you are seeing?

Jackie in Tampa
06-03-2010, 07:37 AM
were you able to get better pics?
I still want to help you with this...
Let us know how your wilds are!
We do have some tips that can help them without trapping.

I will email you the pox facts sheet we put together during some of the epidemics I was involved in hands on and thru the web. It is not a scientific study, but it did help the sqs that we treated.

Stress is a common factor, so keeping fresh water and a stressless environment is key....
echinechia in the drinking water will boost their immune systems and that makes a difference.
If you are able to get the meds needed to treat, we can help with dosage.
Acyclovir is a common/affordable antiviral used for human herpes and chicken pox...I recommend the pediatric/childrens oral elixir, 200mg strenghth.
We also used Baytril as a sq safe Anti Biotic...
let me know if you think you are dealing with pox.
If you have studied and it is Bot fly, leave it alone, this is a reoccurring risk in our area and does not effect the health of the sq, just nasty.

Abcesses happen this time of year, as the sqs are fighting to win the love of the girls, it's mating season...and these guys are fighters.
Usually they can handle abcesses on their own.
More pics would help determine which of these you are dealing with.
Good luck...come back here and let us know!:wave123