PDA

View Full Version : How does one become a re-habber?

SciurusLover
05-31-2010, 01:19 PM
I'm not sure if this is in the right section...and I usually make really long posts, but, I think that's pretty much it- I'm curious to know how one becomes a rehabber... I've volunteered at my "local" WRC for a few years now..But I'm afraid to ask them, so I'm wondering if you guys could help me.

Thanks. :)

Jackie in Tampa
05-31-2010, 01:31 PM
IF YOU WERE HERE IN FLA AND VOLUNTEERED FOR YEARS at a wildlife center... you probably would not have to take the test...
you are probbly closer than you know...so ask!:thumbsup

Jackie in Tampa
05-31-2010, 01:32 PM
PM Squirrels Rule and Bunnies too, she is licensed in Ohio...:thumbsup

SciurusLover
05-31-2010, 03:53 PM
Hehe, ok. Thanks. :)

mugzeezma
05-31-2010, 04:05 PM
I would look into the Ohio DNR for permits and licensing. There should be a button for rehab I will see what i can find. that's where I went to get the paperwork for Illinois.

mugzeezma
05-31-2010, 04:11 PM
I would look into the Ohio DNR for permits and licensing. There should be a button for rehab I will see what i can find. That's where I went to get the paperwork for Illinois.
I did a quick google and found this

Dang that was too easy:tilt

http://www.owra.org/involved

mugzeezma
05-31-2010, 04:18 PM
I did a quick google and found this

Dang that was too easy:tilt

http://www.owra.org/involved
found this too

Carolyn Caldwell,
Program Admin Wildlife Mgmt & Research Division of Wildlife
2045 Morse Rd, Bldg
Columbus, OH 43229-6693
614-254-6330
carolyn.caldwell@dnr.state.oh.us

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
05-31-2010, 04:59 PM
I messaged you back with lots of info. :thumbsup

You aren't by any chance in Northeast Ohio are you? We could REALLY REALLY use more cottontail rehabbers. I could put you under my permit and get you unlimited babies if you were in Northeast Ohio :D

Jackie in Tampa
05-31-2010, 05:01 PM
I messaged you back with lots of info. :thumbsup

You aren't by any chance in Northeast Ohio are you? We could REALLY REALLY use more cottontail rehabbers. I could put you under my permit and get you unlimited babies if you were in Northeast Ohio :D
yeah...what she said!!!!!:alright.gif

SciurusLover
06-01-2010, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the info everyone! :)

Sweet! Because YES, I AM in north-east Ohio. ^_^ I'm in Geauga county- you?

Although, I do have a possibly important question... I am under 18- do they not allow people under 18 to get or use a permit? (Because it seems to be with everything else...) ...And also, where I volunteer- I'm considered a junior volunteer, and junior volunteers aren't allowed to feed any baby animals other than birds. :/ And I was wondering if this was because of that? Or just...in general they don't trust our expertise..? (I suppose I wouldn't trust myself either without any training- it did seem difficult to get the feeding tube through their little throats when they don't want them. =/ heh..)

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
06-01-2010, 03:43 PM
Wow, I might know you, lol. I am thinking you volunteer at the same center I volunteer at, I will PM you to check. If so, they aren't the greatest, as you may already have noticed. You really should talk to someone about your desire to help orphaned babies though, because there is a babysitter program at the center where I volunteer (I am in Lake County) and they DESPERATELY NEED baby bunny rehabbers. They euthanize all eyes closed bunnies that come in unless someone takes them home, and currently I am the ONLY one taking babies home. I can't take them all, not even close, so if you could take even just 1 or 2 bunnies at a time, you would be saving lives. There is a lot to learn about bunnies before you just jump right in with eyes closed babies, though, but it is definetely something that would be a big help and I would be willing to teach you (I wouldn't trust what they tell you at the center because they do not raise bunnies that come in very young and are pretty much clueless about how to care for them).

I know for a fact that people under 18 can take babies home from the center where I volunteer, which has to be the place you volunteer unless you drive over an hour to get to where you volunteer, because I started taking babies home when I was 17 and there was another volunteer that started when she was 12 and she was AWESOME with the bunnies (she is in college now). So, unless they changed the rules, you can take babies and they are looking for more people. As for why they won't let you in the nursery to care for mammal babies, I do not know, they always have in the past. There are all kinds of new rules this year, but I would think you could still sign up in the nursery and do everything, perhaps with supervision, but you should be able to.

I will PM you.

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
06-01-2010, 03:44 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention, you do have to be 18 or older to get a permit of your own though. You can be a subpermittee if you are under 18 though and if you are willing to learn, I would put you under my permit if the center won't put you under theirs.

SciurusLover
06-01-2010, 11:22 PM
Yeah...Hah.
Oh my. :shakehead Then I will be happy to learn. :)

Interesting. Ok, thanks. :)

squillgurl
07-06-2010, 04:04 PM
Does anyone know where or how or with whom to get started in OK? This is something I would love to do to. I wanted to be a nurse for years, but for one reason or another wasn't able to go to school. Now that it is possible, I have decided that I like animals MUCH better than I like people ;). They are much more appreciative and easy to deal with, and in mose cases don't give alot of lip! Maybe teeth, but no lip and I'd rather deal with teeth and claws any day, lol. I like people too, just not the abuse!

island rehabber
07-06-2010, 04:16 PM
This site has LOTS of great Oklahoma info. I would call the closest ones to you and ask about the process in OK. Lord knows we need more rehabbers everywhere, so good luck!! :thumbsup

http://www.southeasternoutdoors.com/wildlife/rehabilitators/oklahoma-rehabilitators.html