PDA

View Full Version : I have a stupid question - what is a soft release?

Annya26
05-29-2010, 07:54 PM
Just as the title says, what does the term "soft release" actually entail? Is there a "hard release"? :dono

Also, I have a baby that I want to release and my neighbourhood is not suitable (not even remotely, right beside a huge highway, backing onto a busy road and over run with cats, including my own unfortunately talented little hunter) then would a wildlife sanctuary where people go to feed the animals and do nature walks be a suitable release spot?

(Probably a silly question, but I am starting to plan my little girlies inevitable release and just want to make sure I have as much info as possible!)

Anne
05-29-2010, 08:16 PM
A soft release is when you place your baby in an outside cage for several weeks where she can hear the new outside noises and sights, smells and wild foods. You would feed her as usual but with limited contact,Then after a while you open the cage door and allow her to come and go at will, until she is comfortable to leave. This is usually in your own yard, or the yard of someone you know.
Hard release is where you just take her some where and set her loose. Hard release is what it sounds like--hard! She will really be unprepared and frightened-all alone.
As you can see, I don't like or believe in hard releases!!!!!!!

NO QUESTION IS STUPID!!!!!!!

Jackie in Tampa
05-29-2010, 08:20 PM
Hello:wave123
a soft release is when your sq and his preditor safe cage are placed in a safe shadey, near a tree area. The sq remains there at night and is still fed by humans, but with less contact. The sq is also provided a wooden nest box to feel protected and secure.
He is there to learn the night noises and the day time activities of other sqs...once he hears other wilds, his instincts will kick in and he will start to bark when the wilds do. Tail will twitch and alert.
He is there to acclimate to climate and needs the native flora that will be his life support and nutrition once he is free. I always offer some dirt, whether it's in a tub or the ground itself, so they can practice burying nuts!
A soft release depends on the sq...they usually are ready 3-4 weeks. This cage needs to be large enough so their muscles stay tone and ready for the trees. I offer a bowl as well as their water bottle...

Hard release...
open the door and let them go...
others will pen the sq inside the nest box and take it up a tree and then let them go...
it makes being a sq hard...they do not recognize danger and cannot defend themselves as well...
Sqs should have acclimation time before being released!:Love_Icon

If you cannot release your sq where you are, try asking the local rehabbers if they have room in there release cages...a donation of supplies and/or sq food will usually get your foot in the door...:thumbsup
I have never met a rehabber that was funded other than by donations.
Good luck, hope this helps!

Most will help out if they have space...

edit: anne types faster!

island rehabber
05-29-2010, 08:22 PM
Soft release is basically the only acceptable way to release a squirrel, and it involves moving the squirrel gradually from indoor cage to outdoors, to allow time for her to acclimate herself to the rain, wind, and sounds of nature. First she would be out for just the day, then after a few days to all night as well, then after a week or two you would open the enclosure and let the squirrel come and go at will until it is ready to build a nest and live in the trees. The alternative to this is taking the squirrel in its own nest box or a similar box you've filled with familiar bedding, etc., and tacking that box up in the trees. The squirrel is then "in the wild" but still has her own nest to come back to. Because squirrels are nest-builders and in fact often build more than one, they MUST have a nest box or cage to return to at night when they first go outside. With this method, you also MUST supplement the squirrel with foods from home because it will not know the area and not know how to find food.

"Hard Release" would be taking the squirrel to the middle of the woods, opening its carrier or cage and letting it go. No nest box, no cage to return to, no supplemental feeding. BAD IDEA, and never recommended for squirrels. You can do this, I believe, with bunnies and raccoons but never should do it with squirrels. :nono

Hope this helps! :)

island rehabber
05-29-2010, 08:23 PM
ah jeez, the Florida girls beat me to it. Yeah, what they said! :thumbsup :goodpost

Annya26
05-30-2010, 05:05 PM
Thank you so much for your responses! So it is sounding like the conservation area may have to be a LAST resort (with a nestbox and me driving out to put food in it every day)... Does anyone know of any rehabbers in Ontario? (Preferably the Toronto area, but I will drive further if it means giving her the best chance!)