PDA

View Full Version : Release Cage/Weather issues

Buddy'sMom
10-27-2006, 11:33 AM
The weather is NOT cooperating here!! Looking for some guidance as to which way to err (subjecting him to bad weather or waiting too long).

Buddy is 14 wks, raised as only-squirrel. Based on age and calendar, we had planned to put him out in release cage LAST weekend, for about 2 weeks. Unusually cold (low-mid 30s at night), windy (20-30+), rainy weather, so we have waited. (release cage is in garage, chilly, but out of wind, rain; he has spent the nights and part of days there, so I think that's been a good temperature transition; part of days in smaller cage in the sun)

We thought the weather would break Sat. morning, but now they are predicting 30+ winds through Sunday (temps better: 55/sunny day, 44 at night), warmer and sunny after that (unless they change their minds). It doesn't usually stay this cold for so long in Oct-Nov here, so we are due for some nice Fall weather.

So is it better to wait yet another few days? Or to get him out there ASAP?

[FYI: He can crack any nut; has shown considerable nest-building activity for many weeks; seems aggressive enough to be independent (bit me AGAIN) (although he loves to play with B'sDad and can't undestand why we don't take him out of the cage so much anymore). Shortcoming is he's not so big on independently picking up food to eat (vs. hand-fed), but he's been a bit better on that lately. Sorry so long and rambly -- can anyone tell this release-part has ratcheted the stress and worry level to untold heights???

Appreciate any guidance, suggestions. :thankyou

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
10-27-2006, 11:46 AM
I know your stress just take one day at a time, have you had a nesting box in his cage? If so you could probably hang that in the tree & his home is ready?
If not maybe he can find a hole in a tree..
You would be surprised at how adaptable these little ones are! Good luck.
I'll let someone else with more expierance answer, these are just my thoughts.

Buddy'sMom
10-27-2006, 02:15 PM
Thanks, rnlsmom.

Release cage has nestbox that he has been sleeping in (to our great relief!). Plan is, once he leaves the cage, to re-locate that nestbox into "his" maple tree and show him where it is, stash nuts inside. Then put a second nestbox (w/some of his blankies) into the release cage in case he comes back there to sleep and/or wants to use it during winter. Given the lateness of release, we are trying to give him options. We know there is an empty nest in the maple (which he fell out of) and do not think any squirrels live in that tree (one passes thru the yard but doesn't seem to stay).

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
10-27-2006, 02:19 PM
Sounds like a plan BM!:thumbsup
Once they get out there its like they knew all along what to do just keep an eye out for cats!

Gabe
10-27-2006, 03:43 PM
I feel your pain too. I have six squirrels dying to get outside of their release cage, but we have rain and cold weather. I keep hoping for a few good days and they keep predicting them, but they're just not happening.
I have 3 waiting for the release cage, then four more. One of the trio bit me six times yesterday. He had always been friendly, just wrapped his little body around my wrist and started biting. Had to wear welding gloves to feed him today, don't know how I'm going to clean that cage. He really needs to go. Good luck, I would wait for a break in the weather.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
10-27-2006, 05:25 PM
Aww poor little guys they dont understand, you have to feel bad for them.
They want to get their life started.

Buddy'sMom
10-28-2006, 10:47 AM
Wow, Gabe, I guess you certainly are literally "feeling the pain!" I'll stop feeling sorry for myself now - You've got it much worse. (Is this a full time job for you? HOW can you manage that many??) Same thing tho, Buddy was always friendly. Bit me this time (I think) because he saw his formula but there was a slight delay in starting to feed him (at least, that's the only conceivable provocation we could figure out). Maybe it's just an age thing. Still gentle and playful with his Dad, tho.

I think we now have the weather break. Won't reach you for a while yet, unfortunately, but our skies have cleared and it's in the balmy upper 60s! Will be windy today, tomorrow but sunny, not too cold and the way we will position the release cage is somewhat sheltered from the prevailing wind. Winds predicted to drop by Sunday afternoon, before it gets chilly again, briefly. So we are going to put his release cage outside today and hope for the best. If it turns worse than predicted, my husband can get him and put him in the garage in the smaller cage.

BTW - he seems to really like the roomier release cage, is playing with his dangly-sock, digging in the dirt and (Ta Da!) picking up pieces of food! Was already munching on sweet potato when I came out this am (a first!!). There is hope for this spoiled little guy.

Gabe
10-28-2006, 10:58 AM
Great weather report. I do hope it moves my way.
It is a full time job, no pay though. I've had 50 squirrels this fall. The one that bit me used to be someone's pet, and does not hide from me like the others do when I open the door. He has lost his fear of humans. They are greatly traumatized when they are raised as singletons, then meet squirrels. They believe they are human. The humans that raise and love them don't understand what they put them through when they no longer want them, but that is a whole new thread I'd like to start for advice on single raised squirrels.

Buddy'sMom
10-28-2006, 11:04 AM
Advice on single-raised squirrels (or even advice not to) would be good to have aviable on the Board. Wish we had some a couple of months ago.

Gabe
10-28-2006, 05:44 PM
Mr. Administrator.... where are you??? Come in, come in,

Can we have a thread on advice for single raised squirrels, especially regarding releasing imprinted squirrels.

I would love to know how they make out, if they make it, if they become problems, seems so many people on this board release singletons they should have some good input.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
10-28-2006, 06:43 PM
I notice when there is wind there is almost no squirrel activity around here, they hate it.
When I had my 3 squirrels then down to just Prestonm for the first couple days he minded it but they would come play with him, then they broke it off slowly. He adapted well.
Then he started running across the roof staring at where brother & sister were. I swear they have means of communication that we arent aware of!
Buddy will do just fine, you watch..just be prepared once he goes its gonna hurt but get those nuts ready so he knows mom has the goodies for when he comes to visit. In fact put up a feeder for him now while hes still there & show him then will know where his food is if he retuens & you arent home. Thats just something I think is a good idea near his nest box.

island rehabber
10-28-2006, 07:19 PM
The weather in these parts has been awfully frustrating. Thursday we moved both cages containing my 5 fuzzers to the outside terrace. They enjoyed one calm night outdoors in balmy 55 degree weather, then all hell broke loose. Yesterday afternoon it started pouring buckets and 40-mph winds were predicted for last night. This time the weathermen got it right -- it howled all night and all morning today until about noon. Luckily we had taken the squirrels back in and they weren't stuck out there -- it would have been like being stuck inside a washing machine for them! Now I have to wait a few more days until this wind stops...I wanted to release them next weekend but they need more time outdoors first. They are so bored with their cages, their toys, everything. The wind was so bad that 12 boats broke loose and wedged themselves right under our bridge. :frustratedx

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
10-28-2006, 07:38 PM
same thing here IR I hope my babies are still warm & dry as they ditched their nesting box?

Buddy'sMom
10-28-2006, 08:11 PM
Window of opportunity slammed shut. We didn't have time to get the release cage outside before the wind started howling again. He had a little outside time in the sun, but now back in the garage. Even there, once the wind got bad, he went down into his nestbox. Maybe tomorrow night. Wind advisory supposed to end about 5. Right now we are having 40mph.

r-n-l, funny you mentioned about a feeder. B'sDad built him a fliptop nut box this morning and we put it in his release cage so he would "learn" how to use it (ha!). Took a few minutes (he wanted to stand on it instead of push the lid up). First time was accidental, I think. Then he would get a nut, nibble then go bury in the dirt and race back to the box for another one! Very, very cute. (we only put a few nuts in, but he did have a bit of a treat)

skwerls_R_soft
10-28-2006, 09:20 PM
Mr. Administrator.... where are you??? Come in, come in,

Can we have a thread on advice for single raised squirrels, especially regarding releasing imprinted squirrels.

I would love to know how they make out, if they make it, if they become problems, seems so many people on this board release singletons they should have some good input.

This is a topic that I have been searching for on this board.

My current squirrel has been raised alone. As a baby, he came to us sometime the week that his eyes opened. He and a sibling were found stumbling into the back door of a florist, owned by my friend's mom. They shoo-ed them out but the little squirrels kept coming inside. The sibling died a few days later because the person feeding them was giving them half-and-half. By the time I got the remaining squirrel he was nearly dead. Needless to say, it took alot of care and attention to get him healthy. He is about 5 months old now and, despite infrequent handling and being kept in a huge cage in the woods very far from our house, he is still as friendly as can be. he has NO fear of cats or dogs or other humans...although he is a bit freaked by kids (so am I so I cannot blame him!) in the rare event that one is present.

Years ago, the very first squirrel I release promptly went over to the neighbor's house and scurried up onto the shoulder of a little nephew (Auntie Mo...Look I tamed a squirrel!)...and this was NOT a tame squirrel.:eek:
I though we did everything right, but could not have predicted that.
We have an outdoor cat that is the Devil himself and have no doubts that he'd eat that squirrel in a heartbeat if he were let loose. We also have 3 indoor cats that woul do the same if the squirrel had free reign of the house.

My dilema is deciding what to do with this tame little squirrel. I am preparing to winter this squirrel over and hope that he "gets wild" next spring.

Suggestions?

Gabe
10-29-2006, 07:19 AM
Here is what has happened to me... I kept a single squirrel longer hoping he would wild up. He did. But he still thought he was human. He would not let anyone in my house because he thought it was "his" territory and would run up their legs, bite them in the forehead and run back down. He was such a whrilwind that the poor visitor didn't even know what hit him until it was too late. Needless to say, he had to be locked up when someone came to visit. That was not always easy. I just couldn't catch him when he had to be caught. When he was outside he owned the yard, and attacked from above.
I like the idea of pairing up states so we can put singletons together. It won't be easy on the person giving up the squirrel, but we need to remember to do what is best for them.
This happened many years ago before I was a rehabber, now that I have my license I am able to trade animals with other rehabbers. But all the poor folk that don't have a license and love squirrels need a way to help these little guys out.

Momma Squirrel
10-29-2006, 07:54 AM
Sorry guys Mr. Administrator, Squerly, is on the track with Squerly 2, another type of squirrel but this one has 4 rubber feet instead of 4 furry feet. I am sure when he gets done playing he will be glad to set up something for single raised squirrels. If he doesn't see this thread I will bring it to his attention.

Gabe
10-29-2006, 03:30 PM
Thanks Mommasquirrel looking forward to his return