PDA

View Full Version : Questions regarding found squirrel

Tawnya
05-26-2010, 01:26 AM
Hi I am new here. I have a few questions regarding a squirrel I found. I found him in my alley all curled up and not moving. I dont know if he was knicked by a car or fell out of a tree. I think he was in shock as he didnt move for about 2 days. He had a sibling as the sibling was trying to get him to get up and kept running around us. I put the injured squirrel in a safe area close to where he was found. I read on another forum that if the mom doesnt come back by dark to bring him in and get warm. It has been 2 weeks and he is doing GREAT! (Unfortunately the same day I found this baby his sibling went into the yard next door with dogs and unfortunately he didnt make it). What I am wondering is how long should I keep him and take care of him? I am thinking he is about 10-12 weeks old now. I am feeding him all of the right things and he is growing. When I do let him go I am afraid he will go into the fence with the dogs. What do you do when you are getting ready to release them back in the wild? Is it humane to keep him as a pet? I have grown so attached to him I know it will be hard to let him go. But I know I have to take things in the best interest of the squirrel.... Any info you may have would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

rozdow
05-26-2010, 06:15 AM
Is he weaned? I've put my guys into a pedator-safe outdoor enclosure at around 12-13 weeks & keep them there for 2-3weeks to acclimate. Will yours be a "hard" or "soft" release?

rozdow
05-26-2010, 06:17 AM
If there are pedators in the neighborhood (dogs), I wounldn't risk a release there.

Most squirrels do not make good pets - esp. when they start to "wild up".