PDA

View Full Version : I think my baby has mange.

JessicaLynn
05-25-2010, 08:30 PM
Wolfie,my youngest Grey, is just shy of 3 months old (based on pictures, descriptions, and previous experience). I found him at about 4wks, cold and FULL of fleas. I spent hours picking off fleas, then I gave him a Dawn bath. For a while he was slightly itchy with no other signs. Lately I've noticed he's been losing a bit of hair under his hind legs, and yesterday I found crusty ears. I have no pictures right now, but his ears look like early versions of photos shown here. I ordered Ivermectin from Chris because I figured I might as well have it. He's roughly 335g right now. As I'm sure you all know, the solution is 1%.

Is this safe? I've read about liver toxicity, but I'm not able to get Advantage from any local vets. I've also read that this solution can be administered orally and topically instead of being injected. I'm hoping someone can guide me on what to do from here...

Thank you!

prncsbabs1
05-25-2010, 08:43 PM
Hi,

OK, I have used the injectable kind (1%) and gave it orally.

I did successfully treat a squirrel with Ivermectin last Summer.

There are Pros and Cons with this medication....be very careful with the dosage. I had good results with it twice. So here is what I used for my yard baby (with the guidance from my Vet), others might disagree but it worked for me.

1% strength
.01cc given once a week for three weeks. I crushed cherrios put the drop of meds in the crumbs and rolled it in peanut butter....the squirrel loved it and I saw a dramic improvement with in a day or two. Again be very careful with the dosage if you use this...it is a tiny amount but a very strong medication.

Good Luck

JessicaLynn
05-25-2010, 08:55 PM
Hey, I read your thread just a little while ago :D
So you went with once a week? I know my sister's bunnies had 2 injections, but they were spread out by 2wks. I'm just afraid because he's so small!

Thanks for such a quick response! As it's so late right now, and he's already cranky because I woke him up to weigh him :nono , I'll wait until morning. Hopefully I can get a dosage by weight, but I've yet to see that anywhere. I PM'd Jackie in Tampa because I've seen her a lot on here. As long as the dosage is ok for him, I'll do it.

But here's another question. I have another male that's over a year old. He's always loved Henry's blocks, and this dude is like a super squirrel (not fat, just big!). I'm hoping he's fine, but in case he does have to be treated, the dosage would HAVE to be different, right? Maybe I'm just worrying too much- it's been known to happen...

Thanks for the help!!! And the luck ;)

prncsbabs1
05-25-2010, 08:56 PM
Can you get it to a vet, they can do a skin scraping to confirm.

JessicaLynn
05-25-2010, 09:03 PM
The only vet around here that's willing is one that I have had problems with in the past (years ago, with a dog, but I still don't really trust him). If I have to I will go to him. I'll give this a day, tops. If I'm still worried then I'll get him in before the week is up. He doesn't seem to be itching at all anymore, but his ears are definitely crusty. I'm ready to go find a microscope and scrape myself! Ok, not myself, but scrape him myself:shakehead