PDA

View Full Version : broken???

pia
10-27-2006, 02:36 AM
knøttet seem to have problems with hes left front foot.. he dont like to stand on it, and he holds it close to hes body, like he is protecting it, and he licks it all the time. can it be broken? what can i do? no vets in norway want to see hem...

Somebody's Mother
10-27-2006, 04:12 AM
pia i don't know what to tell you. but look carefully. maybe he picked up a sticker or a little piece of glass. licking sounds like some sort of irritation. i will be praying for knottet. good luck!
i would suggest taking him to another country but that would surely land you in jail. not good. do you have any friends that are people doctors. maybe they could have a look.

pia
10-27-2006, 04:30 AM
the leg was like that when i found hem, probably from falling from hes nest, and i was sure it would be better, but now i am not so sure.. i can speak with my kids doctor, maybe she can take an x-ray of the foot. i looked at it today, and knøttet did not like it. it seems like 3 of hes fingers dont "work" at all... do you think it can heal by itself? and can he survive outdoors? i wish we had vets that care here too....

Somebody's Mother
10-27-2006, 04:37 AM
i doubt he could survive outdoors if the foot isn't fixed so he can run properly. outdoors they are prey to cats and other animals. has the foot gotten any worse since you found him? it isn't getting infected or anything?

pia
10-27-2006, 04:51 AM
no, it is the same, cant see any sign of infecsion, and no woonds. i have emailed every vet in my city, begging for help, waiting to hear from them..
if it is not broken, it should be better now, right? to morrow it is 2 weeks since i got hem..

Luv2Spare
10-27-2006, 04:56 AM
Pia, I sent my friend "Gro" in Oslo a message to call me today when she wakes up (your time) and she can help you!!

My email address is sunybluz123@hotmail.com

I will email you her phone number and maybe you 2 can connect somehow.

Chris

Somebody's Mother
10-27-2006, 04:58 AM
is it swollen? maybe it was just a bad sprain or a bad bruise. sometimes they can take awhile to heal too.
do you have dead squirrels on the roads? i hate to suggest this but i don't want the authorities to come and take knottet and euthanise him. a member of this board once recommended getting a roadkill squirrel and putting it in a baggy in your freezer and then if the authorities come and demand your squirrel you give them the roadkill one and say you are sorry he already died.
it's a lie but i don't think it is bad to lie to save a life.

Somebody's Mother
10-27-2006, 04:59 AM
Pia, I sent my friend "Gro" in Oslo a message to call me today when she wakes up (your time) and she can help you!!

My email address is sunybluz123@hotmail.com

I will email you her phone number and maybe you 2 can connect somehow.

Chris

you're cool luv2spare! i wish i could do more but i can't and i know no one in norway.

Luv2Spare
10-27-2006, 05:00 AM
It's 34F in Oslo right now and your baby is what, 5 weeks old? I would keep him inside and hang in there, we'll try to get you a vet today or monday hopefully.

Luv2Spare
10-27-2006, 05:10 AM
Yeah, what are the odds of that happening twice?? lol

pia
10-27-2006, 05:19 AM
Thank you all:) roadkill? i haven seen any dead squirrels on the road in my hole life, but i guess it happens sometimes. i intend to keep hem inside until the spring comes, so it is plenty of time. it is not swollen, it just doesnt work so well..

Mrs. Jack
10-27-2006, 05:57 AM
And people say the internet is evil. pfffft. This is cool x1000. Pia, I hope Luv2spare's friend can meet with you, good luck with the foot, let us know!

pia
10-27-2006, 05:59 AM
thank you:) i realy hope i am overreacting...

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
10-27-2006, 06:35 AM
pia the baby should not be released anytime soon.
He has much growing to do, you are doing a great job in giving him the chance he needs. These wonderful things people do to help animals is just great. I think someday you will all be rewarded over & over.

Somebody's Mother
10-27-2006, 06:37 AM
pia the baby should not be released anytime soon.
He has much growing to do, you are doing a great job in giving him the chance he needs. These wonderful things people do to help animals is just great. I think someday you will all be rewarded over & over.

i think i was already rewarded. i had the privelage of sharing in karen's life.

pia
10-27-2006, 06:51 AM
:) i am rewarded too:) he make me feel alive:)

Secret Squirrel
10-27-2006, 11:12 AM
Hi Pia,
I don't know how big your cage is, but it's better to keep him in a small container with smooth sides. A medium size rubbermade tote with a lid is very good to use in cases like his. Cut several small holes in the top for ventilation. Some totes are almost clear so they can still see you.
His hand will heal faster with limited usage....so keep him calm and quiet ( if that's possiable for a roudy squirrel!!!! LOL )
It's going to take time for his foot to heal... several weeks to a month...or more.
Keep lots of calcium in his diet......good luck.

pia
10-27-2006, 11:18 AM
thank you, i will try that:)

GhosTS
10-27-2006, 11:49 AM
Pia, I hope the baby will get better soon.And :thumbsup to Luv2Spare.:alright.gif .Like SS said, keep him calm.And give him calcium.What do you feed him with.( Other than his formula.His eyes are opened as I remember, so he will eat some solids )

pia
10-27-2006, 12:00 PM
:) he eat sunflower seeds, fruit, vegs, and more.( do mot know the name)

susanw
10-27-2006, 01:32 PM
Pia, does he use the foot to hold food when he is eating? He may be licking it because it hurts.

pia
10-27-2006, 01:45 PM
he rty not to ues it , but he seem to force hemself to use it when eating. i tryed to look closer at it an hour ago, and he started to scream:(

Somebody's Mother
10-27-2006, 02:02 PM
pia, he has been okay but favoring the foot for two weeks. if there has been no sign of infection and he is not feverish or lethargic i think that one scenario is that he may have to be a pet the rest of his life. and he will always limp or favor the foot.
any word on a vet or someone to check him? i am hoping to hear some good news there.

ps i signed on my msn this morning and a girl i know in sweden started chatting to me. haven't talked to her in years.

pia
10-27-2006, 02:19 PM
what does "favor" means? the foot was like that from i got hem, but the rest of hem seems to be just fine. If he dont get better when spring comes, I`ll tace care of hem as long as i have to, but i hope he one day can be free. have not heard from anyone that will see hem yet...

Somebody's Mother
10-27-2006, 02:36 PM
he is in good hands with you. try not to worry too much over the weekend. favor would mean is it the one he chooses to try and not use.
love, warmth, food and caring will take knottet a long way. :thumbsup

pia
10-27-2006, 02:49 PM
ok:-) thank`s:-)

Gabe
10-27-2006, 03:38 PM
Their bones are so small that if it were broken it would already be healing. If it is already healing he shouldn't be feeling so much pain.
Could he have something wrapped around one of his toes that is causing pain? such as a long human hair or a piece of thread?
I think it is a good sign that he is trying to use it. Just watch it carefully for redness and swelling, otherwise llisten to everyone else and don't worry too much over the weekend.

pia
10-27-2006, 03:46 PM
hi:) nothing on hes foot. i`ll try not to worry:) thank you:)

Mrs. Jack
10-27-2006, 04:35 PM
I broke my big toe last July and it took a long time for me to stop saying "ow"... So lets hope that it is just healing and aching like healing sometimes does.. I've had two of my wild's show up with pronounced limps and kept an eye on them, neither got worse and now they both walk fine. So hopefully in time he will be doing much better.. if it gets worse, we can intensify the search for someone to help you.

pia
10-27-2006, 04:39 PM
i bet that was painfull.. i hope so too:) this is another broken foot patient i had 5 monhs ago, he is free and happy now:)

Mrs. Jack
10-27-2006, 04:44 PM
:thumbsup That's great! I'll show my son, he loves the pigeons.

pia
10-27-2006, 04:49 PM
:) i found hem in the mall, some securityguards tryed to catch hem and take hem out.
i did see he had a broken foot, so i took hem home. i had hem about 4 months, and when hes foot was fine , i let hem out. he still visit me sometimes:)

Luv2Spare
10-27-2006, 10:55 PM
Pia, I have not forgotten you. I have sent an email to OSLO and I think she is in northern Norway where her mother lives. I will go across the street in the morning (it is almost midnight here now) and have her husband call her on her cell phone.

Can you send a close up picture of his foot? Is he still protecting it? Paying it alot of attention??

Chris

pia
10-28-2006, 01:42 AM
hi:) i will take a photo as soon as he is awake:) early morning here:)

pia
10-28-2006, 05:04 AM
I tryed to take photo, but he will not let me get close to hes foot...
he just pull it back and yell at me..
it looks better when he walks now, but he often stops to wash it.
when he try to climb, i can see he struggels.
BUT, he is a fighter, and I am sure time will heal hes leg:)

Mrs. Jack
10-28-2006, 07:33 AM
Maybe it's not the foot, but a toe or a nail? If he keeps washing it, that's what it makes me think.. anyway, he is adorable. :)

pia
10-28-2006, 07:39 AM
well, he has 3 useless fingers on that foot...

Mrs. Jack
10-28-2006, 07:41 AM
Oh my. Pia, when he eats, what does he do? Does he eat just using his mouth, or does he try to pick up stuff to hold?

pia
10-28-2006, 08:30 AM
he can hold some, but often it falls down. the fingers seem to be stuck in "normal" position", but ha cant bend them... i have some troubble finding the rigth english words, hope you understand what i mean..

Mrs. Jack
10-28-2006, 08:49 AM
yes, I understand :) Your english is great, don't worry.

It's good that he's trying to use them, I think that's a positive sign.

pia
10-28-2006, 09:10 AM
:) hope so:)

Somebody's Mother
10-28-2006, 12:26 PM
i think knottet has taken on your personality. and i think he will probably be fine in time. if you can keep him from running and trying to jump and climb it might help. he is very adoreable. :tilt

pia
10-28-2006, 12:34 PM
:) yes, he is a very loved baby:) i will do my best:)

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
10-28-2006, 12:38 PM
he is sweet can he eat vegtables yet he needs lots of callcium to help heal.

pia
10-28-2006, 01:32 PM
yes, he eat whatever i give hem:)

Somebody's Mother
10-28-2006, 01:41 PM
hi! had to go pick up a bacon cheeseburger for my son.
while i was out i was thinking about the little one. i remember i dislocated my little finger about three years ago. it hurt like hades and i wouldn't move it unless absolutely necessary because i was in so much pain. i don't know if squirrels can dislocate their toes or not. but if you had wanted to look at my finger when it was dislocated i would have bit you. :D

pia
10-28-2006, 03:34 PM
:)

Luv2Spare
10-31-2006, 06:39 PM
Pia, how is your little sweetie doing? Were you able to contact Gro?

Chris

pia
11-01-2006, 01:07 AM
hi:) after i did put hem in a smaller cage, and i got hem to rest more, hes foot seems to be better:wahoo
i guess hthe foot needs some more rest, then it will be fine:)

i called Gro, but she was not home. i will try again today, because if she knows about someone that can and will look at hem anyway that would be great:crazy

Buddy'sMom
11-01-2006, 06:42 AM
Glad to hear his foot seems better -- hard to get a squirrel to "rest" I guess. Rest certainly is not natural for them. The smaller cage is good. At least he can't run and jump.

pia
11-01-2006, 07:09 AM
yes, it is hard, and he dont like it, but it is the best for hem:)

GhosTS
11-01-2006, 10:07 AM
Dont worry pea, he will get over it.He will understand that its for his good.You are doing a great job.

pia
11-01-2006, 10:09 AM
:) guess so:)

Somebody's Mother
11-01-2006, 10:14 AM
you are doing a great job pia!! so much love for the little one.:thumbsup

pia
11-01-2006, 10:24 AM
:) i just do what everyone ells would do:) he gives me so mutch love and happyness back:)

pia
11-01-2006, 10:28 AM
does anyone know how to make a homepage? i would like to start squirrel-rehab here in norway, but i have to let people know about it..
i have talked to the autorotyes and they dont have any rules about it, so i can do what i want:)

Somebody's Mother
11-01-2006, 02:34 PM
does anyone know how to make a homepage? i would like to start squirrel-rehab here in norway, but i have to let people know about it..
i have talked to the autorotyes and they dont have any rules about it, so i can do what i want:)

http://www.forumer.com/

try there. they have free webhosting. hope that helps. off to get my kid and take him to the eye doctor! bye!

pia
11-01-2006, 02:58 PM

Somebody's Mother
11-01-2006, 03:54 PM
my son also suggested you set up a myspace page for your rehabbing. you could then put your link in your sig or display it wherever you want.

pia
11-02-2006, 01:35 AM
:) i feel i have to do something for all the poor squirrels in norway, since noone else care. i will do my best to help, and mayby i can find someone else that will help me vere i live:)

pia
11-02-2006, 04:32 AM
I HAVE FOUND A VET:jump

Squerly
11-02-2006, 04:42 AM
I HAVE FOUND A VET:jump
That's great Pia, how did you do it?

pia
11-02-2006, 04:59 AM
well, we have a animal-organisation for housepets here, and today i found a lady that wanted to help. she knows a vet that help people in my situation(but noone knows), and she will take x-ray and look at hem:) i learned to day that we only can help wildlife for 2weeks, and that people like me can go to jail for helping animals!!!!
so happy that not all norvegian vets hate wildlife:) knøttet will get help:jump

Gabe
11-02-2006, 06:31 AM
That's wonderful Pia

thumper
11-02-2006, 06:50 AM
:thumbsup I'm glad for ya,:smiley_pirate thumper

pia
11-02-2006, 06:55 AM
:) i dont care if they will put me in jail, i am now making my one website about squirrels anyway:) and i intend to move to a more squirrelfriendly place in town, so i can keep on helping animals. hopefully one day the roles will change:)

Somebody's Mother
11-02-2006, 07:48 AM
pia you are a wonderful person. rest assured you have the people on this board to help you with anything you don't know.
i am certainly glad you joined. it is nice to talk to someone from another country. it makes the world a better place to know that there are other people out there that will care for the small animals of the world.

pia
11-02-2006, 07:50 AM

Secret Squirrel
11-02-2006, 08:13 AM
Hi Pia.....fight the good fight girlfriend......one person can make a difference.......all it takes is one person to get the ball rolling.....Good luck and God bless!!!:grouphug

pia
11-02-2006, 08:47 AM
I promise to do my best:)

Luv2Spare
11-02-2006, 10:05 AM
I'll take up some bail $$ for you just incase!! HAHAHAHAHHA

Keep us posted on the x-ray results. I feel like I know your little munchkin personally.

PS..send more pics!!!

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
11-02-2006, 10:09 AM
:jump :wott I am sooo happy for you.

pia
11-02-2006, 10:29 AM
LOL:) I will do that:)