PDA

View Full Version : New here!!! Hi everyone, from me and My buddie Lucky!

LuckyIsHisName
05-23-2010, 08:59 PM
Hi everyone, Me and my girlfriend have a Squirrel named Lucky! He the best and we found this place when we found a Young adult in our yard on the ground lost and confused. It looked like he was have a seizure or something and a female calling and talking to him in the tree above. It seemed like he fell out of the tree and hit his head, but that's not common and didn't know what to do with him. So we wrapped him in a shirt and tried to keep him warm and comfort him the best we could. He was foaming from the mouth a little and pulsing. Erratic breathing, very weak, short blast of energy, lost in his mind and wasn't afraid of us, so their was something very wrong. No place was open to take him and my girlfriend found this place on the web. But by the time we could get Reg. , the little guy past away and didnt make it.
I would love to know what happened to him, he didnt seem to have any broken bones, and he didnt want to take water out of an eyedropper.
He was out in the yard for a while, before we found him, his mother(I think) was calling for him and crying the way they cry. It was sad!! So we did what we could but that wasn't good enough, He died in our arms! VERY SAD THING! As soon as we buried him we went inside and played with Lucky and made sure we made him as happy as we could and that mad us feel better. It really sucks when you cant talk to them and ask whats hurting, what can we do for them. Its not a good thing to watch and see a little guy shake and go thru coblation and don't know what to do.
So I Just wanted to say Hi to everyone and tell you all that I'm happy that we found you all. Maybe next time we might be able to help more.
If any one has seen what I explained before, I would like to know what might have happened to this little guy. He looked about 8 months old and wasn't that small to just fall, but you never know.
Thanks in advance:D
Charlie and Jackie

Ronda
05-23-2010, 11:18 PM
Hello and welcome, while i can't give you any thoughts on what happened to your rescued squirrel...it is good to know he was safe and warm when he passed.Hopefully someone here with more experience can give you some ideas. We would love to read more about Lucky and see pics of course.

LuckyIsHisName
05-24-2010, 06:33 AM
Hello and welcome, while i can't give you any thoughts on what happened to your rescued squirrel...it is good to know he was safe and warm when he passed.Hopefully someone here with more experience can give you some ideas. We would love to read more about Lucky and see pics of course.
Thank you for your response. I have been reading a little more on this site and I'm so excited and happy my girlfriend found this place. Maybe that was the little guys place on this earth and cause his death has made me look into this web site and I found out that their is so much to learn. Also i have found so many more people that love these little fur balls. My girlfriend was the one that started to feed them in the back yard and now its a full time job. We spend about 30.00 week on peanuts and have one for a pet now. After seeing the squirrel die yesterday, I know now that my little guy wont be leaving me at all. Some people have told me that you have to let them go after they get a year or two cause the get to crazy for the cage. So I built a 5ft x 5ft x 5ft cage so he wouldn't out grow it quick and take him out when we can.
So thanks again for talking and I'm gonna keep writing to see if any one can help. I think he fell now that i have looked around and watched his mother and his brother or sister. It looks like they have to jump from house to tree and their is cement under that jump and would mess one up bad if they don't make it like I think happened to the one that died. But I also have seen a message and they talk about Parasite's, maybe that's it or MBD (What ever that is, I have to look it up). So I will be reading and investigating the death, hopefully I get peace and find out cause its gonna kill me until I find out.
Sorry about writing so long, I have so much to tell and learn!!!!

lilbitsquirrely
05-24-2010, 01:25 PM
:Welcome Your squirrel could have had a seizure,from heat exhaustion, or it could have had(MBD) Metabolic bone disease,or it is possible another squirrel,knocked it out of the tree or it could have miscalculated a jump.So many different things can cause what you have described,and I'm sorry for you,but we here think that, just being willing to try says allot for you both,and knowing he did not die alone should be of some comfort to.Squirrels don't as a rule get rabies.That is according to my vet,she said when a Squirrel is attacked it usually is killed.
My main concern is the diet you are feeding Lucky,please check out the section on nutrition and this will insure that Lucky has a long happy future. Again I'm sorry I could not be of further assistance but their are allot of experts here on TSB that will probably be able to tell you more. :Welcome :thumbsup :thankyou

Pockets
05-24-2010, 01:44 PM
:Welcome Hello there...I have to tell you that you have found the BEST place to find out anything about squirrels. The people on this site are so caring, loving and really just want to help with ANY issue that you might have. I have met a bunch of people that I wish I lived closer to so I could see them face to face. This is a GREAT SITE so enjoy reading all kinds of stories happy and sad. And you'll meet great friends. :jump
Lori

Ultra Peepi
05-24-2010, 04:49 PM
:Welcome hi! you'll love it here! sorry the wild squirrel didn't make it but you tried and that means a lot!:grouphug

tyrose
05-24-2010, 10:31 PM
Welcome! Any question you could ever think of about squirrels can be answered here. Before I found this board I thought i was the only wackadoodle who loved fuzzybutts! You MUST post pics of Lucky... it it the unspoken rule here!:rotfl We love pics!!!!! As for the wild you helped to gently cross over, sounds like a jump failure. If he was a wild, and I am not an expert... but it is my undestanding that it is not common for wilds to get MBD. They should get all they need from nature.

LuckyIsHisName
05-25-2010, 06:18 AM
WoW I'm so Glad you all replied to my listing. It means alot to me and I'm working over time reading and calling people to lean about these little guys. I'm going to be a 'Go to Person' for people like myself just starting out. I'm working on learning everything I can and its so much fun. I never liked to read much, but I cant stop. I have a 8Th grade education(I'm sure my spelling shows) But that isnt stopping me and it's my goal to lean everything I have to for my little friend. I had one person tell me to give him up to a rehabber, but that's not going to happen. Instead of telling me what to do, maybe he should give me some important things to do instead of wasting my time and his and not giving me any of the info or experience he has. That would be more helpful at this point. I have had this little guy since he has been 4 weeks and went thru hell feeding him and getting him the calcium and vitamins he needs and spending the time with him, it wasn't easy and i have grown very close. I didnt know the short term MBD, I only know it as the full words. So that's why I dint know what that means, but I did and I have gave him tums in his water first day then Calcium pills crushed up once every couple days. Now I'm looking for a weekly diet for him if any one has a good one. I can feed him what people have listed, I was looking for a diet that some one has used before and worked good, that's what I want.
So I'm thanking everyone in advance for all the help you can give, even if I already know what your telling me, its gratefully appreciated and I will listen to each and every one of you.
Thanks
PICS are on the way!!!:thankyou :thumbsup

:jump Thanks for Everything and thank God for you all!!!!

tyrose
05-25-2010, 07:27 AM
Have you checked out the nutrition thread ? It will tell you all the good stuff as well as the bad and the absolutely NOT! I am always cruising around here, reading and learning everyday......

wheezer
05-25-2010, 09:32 AM
:Welcome

I guess you know by now that your wild buddy did not die of MBD. Wild squirrels get plenty of sunshine and natural diet. It sounds like he fell and suffered both head and internal injuries:(
I am happy he died in loving hands:grouphug

Here is good info on what to feed him:
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16093

I don't recommend feeding wild squirrels peanuts. They are not the best for them and that prevents them from eating better more natural foods.
You could still feed them treats of perhaps a few pecans:)

I wasn't sure if your large cage was outside or in your house. Or if you were planning on releasing him:dono If outside, it sounds like he is a good candidate for a soft release and a "born free" life:thumbsup
Keep reading here, you will learn so much:flash3

mpetys
05-25-2010, 09:53 AM
:Welcome How old is your Lucky? I have a four month old grey squirrel and I love hearing about (and seeing pictures!) of others that have squirrels. I came to this board a couple of months ago when I found myself with a baby to take care of. I am so glad your girlfriend found this site. It is filled with the kindest people who are so eager to help others, give advice and answer questions. I have learned so much here that I know will only help my MonkeyButt. The most important thing is the issue of squirrel nutrition and the importance of calcium in their diet.

We have a member here who has developed a line of food (blocks) for squirrels that meets their nutritional needs along with fresh veggies and natural outdoor foods. Her blocks are called Henry's Healthy Blocks or as they are known on the board HHB's! Her website is www.henryspets.com. She also provides the recipe if you would like to make them yourself. Here is the link to the recipe which is on this board:
http://www.thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21233

On her website she sells some of the ingredients including a vitamin pack. I have not made the blocks myself, although I have purchased all the ingredients. It has just been easier for me to order them already made!

You will be amazed at how much you will be learning here. Can't wait to see pictures of Lucky!

Michele in Tampa

LuckyIsHisName
05-27-2010, 06:14 AM
My little Fuzzybutt is 4 months going on 5 this week! He is at the age were he is starting to get into everything we put in his home. He loves to built is own home in his cage. They are so smart and how they know how to do all this from just being a squirrel. This animal has been the best thing for me. He is the best and theirs nothing like hanging out with him and watching him play with his things in his cage. He makes the coolest sounds and does all kinds of tricks and shows off. He makes sure your watching him and loves to hang out in his hammock we have for him. I never thought he would use the thing, my girl ordered it off line and he loves it. He will lay in it and watch the dogs in the room as they play, he just watches and thinks, what the hell are those things!!:thinking But I will add some pics as soon as I get them on the computer.
Thanks for all the help and info! Quick question, I have 1200mg soft gel capsules of calcium, I cut them open and put it on his food. One pill a day and he maybe get half of it in his system. Do you think that's too much or to little? My HHB's squirrel blocks will be here today so i don't think I will need to give him the calcium any more since the blocks will have all the Vitamins he needs.
But I will be giving him the Veggies and nuts for treats and to change up his intake of food every now and then. I don't want him to get that fat, I could use any ideas of exercise things he can do in his cage if you have any, he has a BIG cage for toys and items and I'm adding a 2ND part to it soon. So if any thing you can think of would be grate, let me know.
Charlie, Jackie and fuzzybutt Lucky!:wahoo mjs :multi

tyrose
05-27-2010, 07:13 AM
What about sunlight? Where is Lucky's cage? Natural sunlight is a really important component in a healthy boy.

BTW.... still waiting on pics!!!!!!!

LuckyIsHisName
05-28-2010, 06:31 AM
He is right in front of a window, he has a hammock right in the middle of his cage and he just lays in it like a little fuzzybutt on Vacation!! Also I have a tree limb and he lays on that all stretched out, like the ones out side. So he has plenty of sun light. Also I have HHB's blocks now, he don't care to much for them but I have only given them to him and making him eat them. Its says 2 blocks a day and veggies and fruits with a little nuts or treats a day.
So it calcium and vits all the way in his diet, he hides all his food now all over the place, its funny as hell when he tries to cover it with nothing, he is so dam cute and funny.
I was just watching some ladies little fuzzybutt named Whezzer, on You tube and it made a tear or two come down the side of my face. He was so cute and I know she misses him so bad. Do you know the member? If you don't, look her up, Whezzer and look for her you tube video, its a tear jerker.
But thanks for the sun light idea, any more????????
Please let me know, how about what you feed your little guy???
Thanks
Charlie:jump :osnap :thankyou

wheezer
05-28-2010, 08:56 AM
It sounds like that is a lot of calcium. I would rather keep up the high calcium foods like collard greens (check the healthy squirrel diet http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16093 )
get him to eat the HHB by crushing them and adding almond butter (just a little:) ) Here are some pointers for picky eaters: http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17557

There is a lot of different opinions on lighting and sunshine through windows.
Seems they don't get what is needed through windows so a cage outside is the best source of vit D. Again I believe that if they eat a healthy diet, the sun isn't as critical (4S would be the best one to know for sure:thumbsup )
This thread may be of some help too! http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22944&highlight=calcium

Hope this helps:grouphug

(Thanks for watching the video about Wheezer, sorry it made you cry...I still do too:tilt )
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16093

lilbitsquirrely
05-28-2010, 12:34 PM
:wave123 :thumbsup Just keep up the good work I think you are doing pretty darn good by Lucky,especially since you didn't even know this board existed until recently.You seem to be real interested in making sure he lives a long and happy life.Good for you I'm proud of you,your girlfriend and Lucky.:wahoo :jump :grouphug

LuckyIsHisName
05-28-2010, 07:23 PM
Thank you all for giving us such positive feedback we really appreciate it!!!! Lucky is doing great, getting bigger by the day, the only issue we're having is the hhb squirrel blocks we got him, he's not eating them..how can we make sure he eats them? anybody have any ideas how to get him to eat them?:thinking .............

lilbitsquirrely
05-28-2010, 11:12 PM
:D Try this recipe Just use the HHb blocks in place of the Forti Diet Rodent Blocks.Let me know if you have any luck,getting Lucky to eat them..http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22321:wave123