PDA

View Full Version : So happy...

AwNutz
05-21-2010, 07:22 PM
... to have found this board today!

I'll give the quick story and then I need some help.

Had a neighborhood cat bring Nutz into my yard about 5 years ago starting this journey. Cat was not biting or anything, just brought this little bald, eyes closed little guy into the yard and was laying next to him when I walked out. After a few squeaks he went quiet so I tried to flip him over with my shoe to see if he was alive and he clung to the shoe! We tried to call all over but as it was late afternoon and on a weekend couldn't get anyone to answer or help.

Five years later Nutz is still around but we need some pointers from the professionals. First off, he's never needed medical care and early on I realized he wouldn't be able to be released as he was obviously (to a novice) the runt.

I think his teeth are fine, he's able to eat anything I give him and can get into nuts just fine. I started searching the web because I was more worried about his... "boys". They seem big for his body and as he's started to slow down and become less active so I thought this might be an issue, from some other posts it seems like that may not be a problem. Is that true? My other big question is his nails, he gets them stuck in carpet, towels, t-shirts, basically anything. I know this hurts him so I gave him the soft cage bedding and some cut up sheets and it seems to have helped but I know if I could only trim his nails he would be much happier and would be able to run around a lot more. Is this a good assumption?

Other than that I know he needs more calcium but he doesn't like the standard options I can find at the pet store, what else should I try?

Anyway I hope to get some pointers to help Nutz live a little more comfortable, he's always been a spoiled little boy but I've got to do a little more!

Thanks in advance.

island rehabber
05-21-2010, 07:51 PM
Since his teeth are fine, try getting him to chew a cuttlebone (mine love 'em), a bone slice (available from squirrelsandmore.com) or even a seashell. This will give him extra calcium. See if you can get him interested in dark greens like chickory, kale, and escarole. They love "bitter", these crazy squirrels. The more bitter the better. Have you tried offering him different types of rodent block? There are commercial brands like Zupreem and also some that one of our members, 4skwerlz, makes herself called Henry's Healthy Blocks http://henryspets.com (http://henryspets.com/). She will also simply give you the recipe if you prefer to make your own. Congratulations on trying to improve your little boy's diet and we're glad you found us!

Squirrelis
05-21-2010, 08:28 PM
Sounds like Nutz has a happy home! I tried giving my Squirrelis the rodent blocks from Petco and now I have a full bag of uneaten rodents blocks--if only the dogs would like them-oh well. I ordered some squirrel blocks from Henry's Health Pets and just about got my fingers chewed off when I gave them to my squirrely--she loves them:wahoo
They smell very yummy even to a human-good luck!

ChipmunkLuver
05-21-2010, 09:36 PM
Glad to have you here =D

Nails can sometimes be a problem - I know it's a different species, but, my cat (bless her, RIP) stopped ripping up furniture and the next thing we knew her claws were growing too long. That did make walking more difficult until we went and had them cut - so your assumption seems rational to me.
Do you have any rocks in his cage? I give each of my chipmunks a corner of rocks in their cage. They love climbing on them and hiding snacks there but it also naturally wears down on their little toenails. You can also buy petstore items to wear away claws, like special bird perches. (Caution: If you do decide to add rocks and you keep your critter INDOORS, wash with bleach or heat in an oven first to kill any pests that may take a ride on it inside. You don't want to catch mites or fleas for an uncleaned item.)

Toenails, and teeth, grow during the entire lifetime so that they can always be replaced if something happens (which you'd need if you lived in the wild, right?). If you place a few items in the cage to wear them both down on a regular basis, I bet Nutz will be the happier for it. Cuttlebones, as Island Rehabber (Hi again!) mentioned, give calcium and also wear down teeth (hard textured food, uncracked/unshelled nuts, even toys to chew on like rope do too). You can try feeding some organic (not heavily process/sugar loaded) yogurt to him, mineral blocks, calcium supplements, or I've even heard of some people using deer antlers. Don't forget D on your calcium quest - you need D to absorb that calcium. There are lots of options out there and I'm sure you'll find the perfect one :thumbsup
My chippies will agree, Henry's Blocks are tasty!

Ronda
05-22-2010, 06:39 AM
Welcome! You are in the company of the best squirrel ppl in the world! There is lots of great advise and tips here. My baby grey ADORES Henry's Healthy Blocks, but they are not super hard, so i have a log and a granite rock and bones and cuttle bones for her teeth and nails. Since your squirrel seems to have problems with overgrown nails..i will be on the lookout for that issue. oh...and do you have pics?:D We love pics..just a little bit:D

AwNutz
05-22-2010, 09:36 AM
Thank you for the welcoming!

I have tried the cuttle bone, albeit that was a few years ago, and some of the store bought stuff, but the rock is a new one to me and that sounds great. I'll try that next.

I do have some pictures that I'll get up soon.

Thank you for the help!

Gina
05-22-2010, 01:46 PM
:wave123 Nutz sounds like a properly spoiled boy!! You have found the best place for advise on everything from nutrition to housing. You have already been given great advise - get (or bake) some HHB's.

Can't wait to see some pictures.:flash3

lilbitsquirrely
05-22-2010, 03:51 PM
:Welcome

Ultra Peepi
05-24-2010, 04:58 PM
:Welcome

Anne
05-24-2010, 10:32 PM
:Welcome :Welcome AwwNutz!:jump :jump
Your have just found the best squirrel information site in the world (IMHO) :D Everyone here loves all God's critters. All types of questions answered:thumbsup Glad to meet someone new--Now for those pictures!!!!:wave123 :poke