PDA

View Full Version : Hi everyone! New and have a couple of questions

astra
05-21-2010, 06:32 PM
Hi everyone,

I am new to this board, but very excited about joining it because I love squirrels ( and animals in general). Due to my living conditions (city and renting), I cannot have a pet squirrel or rehabilitate anyone. But I hope, one day I will. I live on the 3rd floor of a house in a city and have a rather large balcony that is visited by 3 squirrels. They are grey, but the black variety. One of them is not fully black, but with noticeable brown in her fur. The other has some white/grayish spots on her back. And the third one is almost 100% black - this black one got very used to me, isn't afraid, doesn't run away, actually, comes up to my door to let me know she/he is here. The brownish one knows that I give nuts, but still runs away, and the one with white spots is the "wildest" - always runs away.
I have a few questions to the pros here:

1. I know that feeding wildlife is not recommended and I know why, but my feeding is not regular or abundant enough to make them forget their foraging skills.;-) I have been giving them almonds, chestnuts, grapes, apples. I know sunflower seeds/peanuts/corn are not good for them. What else is good for them?... Should I leave a container with water for them as well?... Or milk?....Will they eat veggies ( e.g. celery, carrots, broccoli etc)?

2. There is a pigeon that comes here, too. This one eats squirrels' almonds! Literally! This pigeon swallows them whole! I was so surprised to see that, I thought those nuts would get stuck in this throat. This pigeon eats all their nuts, while they are still working on one. So, I don't know how to get rid of him, how to make him not to come.He is very persistent and somewhat obsessed with these nuts, because I've had many pigeons come and go, but this one keeps coming back. In fact, he sits on the roof of the house next door, as soon as he sees squirrels, he flies here right away. I don't mind if he ate bread crumbs etc, but he eats these whole nuts! Any ideas how I could deal with this pigeon?

I am going to post some pics - for some reason, the size of pics comes out too large. So I have to reduce the size before uploading them.

Thank you all!

Astra

ChipmunkLuver
05-21-2010, 07:01 PM
Hello :Welcome
I'm more into the pets than the wilds so I don't know enough to answer any questions with any degree of seriousness. There are a ton of great, knowledgeable, wild experts around though, and someone will answer with more detail. I think that pigeon is quite a crazy story! I wonder why he likes almonds and can manage to eat them that way! :thinking

island rehabber
05-21-2010, 07:40 PM
Well hi fellow New Yorker, and welcome! Your black grey squirrels sound adorable. I am currently rehabbing 7, two of whom are black. One of the black girls is actually the dark sable brown you describe, with lighter flecks in her fur and an orangey tummy. The other is coal black. :)

You are giving your wilds a nice variety. Sorry about that darn pigeon...I don't know what you could do to deter him from stealing your squirrels' almonds! You might have to switch to a larger nut that he can't swallow...like walnuts or pecans? We have a member, 4skwerlz, who develops specialty foods for squirrels, and she makes a high-quality food called Wild Bites for outside squirrels...check out her site when you have a minute:
http://henryspets.com (http://henryspets.com/).

Glad you've found us! And if you can post any pix of your wild friends, we never get enough of pix around here! :D

astra
05-24-2010, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the welcome!

You must have already seen one pic - on Emergency board, unfortunately. It was she with the limping back leg. I am still not quite sure what to post on which board;-), but I guess, I need to start a thread other than 'introduction' to post pics.
I have found a way how to reduce photo size on my computer, so I have started reducing all the pics I have and will be posting them... But it was very sad looking at those pics while reducing them, because now my little friend is hurting and I am growing more and more concerned. Especially, because I am not even sure I will be able to trap her - with this injury her personality changed a bit - a bit more nervous and fearful now.

Thank you for the link, Island Rehabber, I will definitely check it out. As for this pigeon - it really baffles me. I will definitely try larger nut sizes, and, maybe, some of the shelled nuts. But this pigeon is something, indeed.

So, I guess I will post my pics on Grey Squirrel Forum because they are of the Grey variety.

So, see you there, I guess.

Astra

Ultra Peepi
05-24-2010, 04:52 PM
:Welcome hi Astra!