PDA

View Full Version : Fleece Hammock?

Buddy'sMom
10-26-2006, 06:38 PM
Anyone have experience - pro/con - with a FLEECE hammock?

Buddy had a nylon one that he liked to lay on. I bought a fleece one for his release cage, thinking it would be cozier and not so cold to lay on. My husband thought he saw Buddy's foot maybe catch slightly when he left the hammock this morning. If fleece might be too fuzzy, we can switch back to the nylon one. Any thoughts? (It's not a deep pile, just fuzzy)

Thanks!

Mrs. Jack
10-26-2006, 07:36 PM
hmm. Buddy'sMom, I hear fleece specifically recommended because it's not catchy, so I'm not sure what to tell you.. I suppose any fabric could catch if his nail was to poke all the way through, but fleece doesn't have any snaggies really..

nutnbutlove
10-26-2006, 10:47 PM
Tink has a fleece one and I haven't seen any issues...when she rips all around her cage she always jumps and clings to the bottom of it but I haven't seen any issues with her nails catching.

The only problem I have had with her hammock is that she likes to chew the plastic clips that attach it and I have had to rig it to reconnect it to the cage.

Critter_Queen
10-27-2006, 08:51 AM
Fleece is fine. Just watch for snags like you would any other material. As soon as it's chewed through, shredding, etc, change it out.

Mine love fleece...no matter what shape it comes in. :)

Buddy'sMom
10-27-2006, 09:02 AM
Thanks, All! We'll leave it in and watch. May not get eough use at this point for wear to be a problem.

FYI - Someone else had suggested fake fur for nesting material. We bought some (a nice squirrely gray!) and have given him several pieces. He loves it. Brought some pieces into nest. Wrestles with other pieces (cut them sort of squirrel-size) -- couldn't figure our how they got spread out across the cage until I saw him tumbling around with them :D .

Secret Squirrel
10-27-2006, 10:59 AM
It's so cute to see them wrestling with toys......I put small stuffed animals in with my past squirrels. They pull out the eyes and then I just sew them up so the stuffing stays put during the wash cycle. :thumbsup