PDA

View Full Version : Hello from South Florida

rugby's_mom
05-16-2010, 07:55 PM
Hi everyone! I recently adopted a baby squirrel who fell from his nest. I have had him for almost 2 months now and we are just starting to wean him. His name is Rugby and he is quite a sweet little guy.
I currently have many pets - enough to start my own petting zoo (lol) - but Rugby has definitely stolen my heart. I am planning on keeping him "domesticated" since he is getting along so well with people and my dogs.
I'm glad I found a place where I can talk with others who share their lives with squirrels. :)

virgo062
05-16-2010, 08:12 PM
:Welcome My goodness you do have a zoo:crazy I bet your life is...HECTIC but awesome:Welcome

Ronda
05-16-2010, 09:48 PM
Welcome! Do you have pics of your baby?

Jackie in Tampa
05-17-2010, 07:58 AM
:Welcome :wave123 WElcome to TSB!
eeekkkk! I hate having to be a thorn in the side....BUT!....
Squirrels are wild animals, and although I am not against having them as pets...they are wild animals...
at any given time, they wild up...we do not have any part of that decsion!
Once they start biting and getting sqly!
They will need to be released...a soft rel;ease is best for sqs raised in captivity, and with your little sweetie being exposed to other domesticated pets, they will be imprinted and not fear them...that makes release diffecult for their safe future.
Most finders think that since they are so sweet as babies and hand raised they will always stay that way! NOT!!!!!!
They are Gods creatures and are meant to be wild...something that cannot be changed if they pick that for their lifestyle!
I promise...you cannot change their destiny...please stop the interaction between them and your other pets! for their future.
I hate being the nay sayer...but it is the truth!
We worry about their safety in captivity also, being with bigger pets...
anything can happen!
EEEK! :peace
On another note!
:thankyou Thank you for rescueing and raising Rugby!:bowdown
Glad you have found TSB...:Love_Icon
:wave123
{please don't hate me!}

Alcippe
05-17-2010, 08:16 AM
:Welcome
Thanks for rescuing Rugby and becoming owned by a squirrel. :D I am fairly wet behind the ears in raising squirrels myself and I can say that Jackie is right. These little fluff butts will let you know when they are ready for release and start to "wild" up. There are some squirrels that will remain pets, but those are the exception and not the rule, sadly enough. :(. So it is important that he doesn't get used to your friendly pets, b/c he will think all dogs are his friends when they are not.

Good luck with him, you have come to the most awesome place full of squirrelly(and nutty) people, ;) Who are full of knowledge, wisdom, and love for these precious beings.

Momma Squirrel
05-17-2010, 08:46 AM
:wave123 Rugby and Mom, we need pics of Rugby and of ALL your animals :poke :D

Sounds like a truly wonderful place to live :thumbsup

Pointy Tale
05-17-2010, 08:49 AM
http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac99/PointyTale/Smileys/hi1.gif :Welcome to The Squirrel Board!!!!

mpetys
05-17-2010, 12:53 PM
Hi rugby's_mom,

You have come to a great place filled with great, caring people. I have a 4 month old male named MonkeyButt. I have had him since he was 2 weeks old. You will get great advice and fellowship here.

You and I are in a somewhat similar situation. I am planning on keeping my MonkeyButt. I wasn't planning on it at first. I originally had 4 babies. I did not know about The Squirrel Board at that time. I was feeding them Ebsilac formula as a friend had advised me to as that is what she had used years ago. My four were constantly dehydrated. I found a local rehabber on the internet and asked for her advice. That is when I found out about the Fox Valley formula for squirrels. I ordered some to be shipped overnite as my squirrels were dying. One died that night. By the time it arrived the next day, two more had died. The last squirrel was struggling between staying hydrated on Pedialyte and then bloating on the Ebsilac. Once he was on the Fox Valley, he recovered and thrived.

I found this board and reached out to Jackie in Tampa for advice as she was in Tampa like me. She was very kind to me via emails and telephone calls, and really helped give me confidence that I could pull my little one through. At this time I was planning on releasing him. She gave me the same advice about keeping him away from my cats and dogs. I did that at first, but as I was spending so much time with him (he was all alone now ), and his eyes weren't open yet, it was very easy to start bringing him in the living room for feedings, pooping, peeing, cuddling etc. After his eyes opened, I didn't even think about stopping. By this time, I pretty much had decided that I wanted to keep him forever.

I have learned so much about squirrels during this time. I go back and read the complete threads about different squirrels, different ailments, the success stories, the sad ones. It opened my eyes to what Jackie said in her comments to you (and before, to me). That is, just because this is what I want, does not mean it is what will be best for my MonkeyButt. It does not mean that this is what will make MonkeyButt a happy squirrel as he grows and matures. I have realized, and will be honest and admit, that while my little guy was in desperate need for caregiving, that I was really just fulfilling my needs when I allowed a situation to develop that would make it unadvisable for MonkeyButt to be realeased due to the fact that he is pretty much unafraid of the cats and dogs.

So this is where I stand now. I am still selfish . . . and I hope and pray that MonkeyButt will always want to be with us and be happy being an indoor squirrel instead of an outdoor wild squirrel which was, and still is, his birthright. But, I do understand that in the upcoming months, as he matures, he may become very unhappy, he may "wild up" and want, no, demand his freedom. If and when that happens, then I will seek out advice from Jackie and others here on the board for the best way to do that for MonkeyButt. Oh, it would break my heart if that day ever came. It seems so impossible now as he is just a sweetheart that seems like he is so happy with us.

Okay, back to Rugby. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to tell a life story here but I we seem to be in a similar situation. I just wanted to make sure you knew that your dear little Rugby may change, just like my MonkeyButt may, and to just be prepared. Can't wait to see pictures of your little guy. Bet he is super handsome. How old do you think he is now? Would love to see pictures and hear more about him. I have learned so much just by observing MonkeyButt in his little antics.

Michele in Tampa

Ultra Peepi
05-17-2010, 08:53 PM
:Welcome hi

Alcippe
05-18-2010, 01:18 PM
Hi rugby's_mom,

You have come to a great place filled with great, caring people. I have a 4 month old male named MonkeyButt. I have had him since he was 2 weeks old. You will get great advice and fellowship here.

You and I are in a somewhat similar situation. I am planning on keeping my MonkeyButt. I wasn't planning on it at first. I originally had 4 babies. I did not know about The Squirrel Board at that time. I was feeding them Ebsilac formula as a friend had advised me to as that is what she had used years ago. My four were constantly dehydrated. I found a local rehabber on the internet and asked for her advice. That is when I found out about the Fox Valley formula for squirrels. I ordered some to be shipped overnite as my squirrels were dying. One died that night. By the time it arrived the next day, two more had died. The last squirrel was struggling between staying hydrated on Pedialyte and then bloating on the Ebsilac. Once he was on the Fox Valley, he recovered and thrived.

I found this board and reached out to Jackie in Tampa for advice as she was in Tampa like me. She was very kind to me via emails and telephone calls, and really helped give me confidence that I could pull my little one through. At this time I was planning on releasing him. She gave me the same advice about keeping him away from my cats and dogs. I did that at first, but as I was spending so much time with him (he was all alone now ), and his eyes weren't open yet, it was very easy to start bringing him in the living room for feedings, pooping, peeing, cuddling etc. After his eyes opened, I didn't even think about stopping. By this time, I pretty much had decided that I wanted to keep him forever.

I have learned so much about squirrels during this time. I go back and read the complete threads about different squirrels, different ailments, the success stories, the sad ones. It opened my eyes to what Jackie said in her comments to you (and before, to me). That is, just because this is what I want, does not mean it is what will be best for my MonkeyButt. It does not mean that this is what will make MonkeyButt a happy squirrel as he grows and matures. I have realized, and will be honest and admit, that while my little guy was in desperate need for caregiving, that I was really just fulfilling my needs when I allowed a situation to develop that would make it unadvisable for MonkeyButt to be realeased due to the fact that he is pretty much unafraid of the cats and dogs.

So this is where I stand now. I am still selfish . . . and I hope and pray that MonkeyButt will always want to be with us and be happy being an indoor squirrel instead of an outdoor wild squirrel which was, and still is, his birthright. But, I do understand that in the upcoming months, as he matures, he may become very unhappy, he may "wild up" and want, no, demand his freedom. If and when that happens, then I will seek out advice from Jackie and others here on the board for the best way to do that for MonkeyButt. Oh, it would break my heart if that day ever came. It seems so impossible now as he is just a sweetheart that seems like he is so happy with us.

Okay, back to Rugby. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to tell a life story here but I we seem to be in a similar situation. I just wanted to make sure you knew that your dear little Rugby may change, just like my MonkeyButt may, and to just be prepared. Can't wait to see pictures of your little guy. Bet he is super handsome. How old do you think he is now? Would love to see pictures and hear more about him. I have learned so much just by observing MonkeyButt in his little antics.

Michele in Tampa

:goodpost

Great example! :wott

With my first 2, Laverne and Shirley (they came together) I had thoughts of wanting to keep them forever. When they went through that "I love you and want to snuggle with you forever" stage. I almost couldn't understand how people could ever let their babies go...THEN came the rebellous stage, that is when I KNEW why people let their babies go...LOL :rotfl It was still hard to let them go, but it did my heart good to see them so happy and free!
I think Edith (my 3rd) would have been content with being either a house squirrel or atleast an indoor/outdoor squirrel. I will never know :shakehead
My current baby will certainly be a wild squirrel. She is much more squirrelly than Edith ever was and reminds me more of L and V.

It is so amazing how their personalities can vary! I wish you much luck with MonkeyButt. :D

virgo062
05-18-2010, 01:28 PM
Hi rugby's_mom,

Michele in Tampa

Right on Sista.......

mpetys
05-18-2010, 01:32 PM

Great example! :wott

With my first 2, Laverne and Shirley (they came together) I had thoughts of wanting to keep them forever. When they went through that "I love you and want to snuggle with you forever" stage. I almost couldn't understand how people could ever let their babies go...THEN came the rebellous stage, that is when I KNEW why people let their babies go...LOL :rotfl It was still hard to let them go, but it did my heart good to see them so happy and free!
I think Edith (my 3rd) would have been content with being either a house squirrel or atleast an indoor/outdoor squirrel. I will never know :shakehead
My current baby will certainly be a wild squirrel. She is much more squirrelly than Edith ever was and reminds me more of L and V.

It is so amazing how their personalities can vary! I wish you much luck with MonkeyButt. :D

I just love that this board makes me feel safe and comfortable enough to be really honest with what I am going through with MonkeyButt and my desire to keep him forever! At the same time, while I am not an expert by any means, it also allows me to offer advice to someone in my same situation. To help prepare them for the possible reality that our little babies may not want to stay.

amylou
05-20-2010, 10:13 AM
:Welcome to TSB! And high five for taking such good care of Rugby!! I can definitely understand how you have easily fell in love with him and want to keep him, but like Michele & Jackie told you most of the time they are going to change once they are out of the baby stage. I don't have any experience with a grey myself, but just "see" that happen from the all the ones that share their stories on the board.
Like everyone else has said we would LOVE to see some pictures of the little guy!! I hope everything turns out for the best for Rugby and yourself!!:thumbsup