PDA

View Full Version : hi from thailand

podgey
05-15-2010, 07:54 PM

hi we are living in phuket, this is our baby we call hovis. pretty sure he is some sort of chipmunk he is much bigger now than in the photo here. have you seen one like this before his underbelly is red, everywhere else is brown.

i have never seen him store food in his cheeks yet is this because he is a baby still?

thx paul

hope the picture works :)

podgey
05-15-2010, 08:01 PM

anyone know what he is hi tail is very long and starting to get bushy.. he loves to eat fruit/tomatoes anything really. sorry about the huge pictures i wont do it again

prncsbabs1
05-15-2010, 08:33 PM
I THINK he is a Mountain Red Bellied Squirrel. Check out the link below.

http://www.ecologyasia.com/verts/mammals/mtn_red-bellied_squirrel.htm

TinyPaws
05-15-2010, 09:16 PM
Hi :wave123 Welcome to TSB...Your baby is very beautiful...

stosh2010
05-15-2010, 09:49 PM
Wonderful Little Squirrel you have there.
How long have you been taking care of him?
My little KING is Rama Rota ( it means Broken Branch in Spanish ) ( in Non- Life threatening Thread) He likes cucumbers too, but I have to cut them up into slices...
Does the name HOVIS have a special meaning to you?

More photos please....
################################################## ##########################################

Stosh >>> Keeper of the KING ( of Costa Rica )

podgey
05-15-2010, 09:50 PM
Wowo you guys know your stuff! thanks very much now i know what he is :thankyou

one little problem i have with him is he has developed a white blad patch under his chin looks was looking a little sore now its not as bad but still bald.. hope it gets better. he is so friendly and we mostly ignore the TV and just watch him haha . We build a 7 foot high cage x 1.5 foot wide in the living room .. he loves it~!

podgey
05-15-2010, 09:51 PM
Hovis is the name of a brand of brown bread back home hehe so called him that :)

Which forum should i post on mainly the chipmunks or squirrel? not sure!

prncsbabs1
05-15-2010, 09:58 PM
Hi....he is a squirrel so you can post him under the Squirrel area. I like the name Hovis...cute. :)

He is adorable. If you look under the Squirrel Nutrition there is a section of Healthy Squirrel Diet for Pet Squirrels....it has alot of helpful information. They need a good diet; it is very informative.

The spot under his chin...does he rub it on anything??? Keep it clean, you can put a little neosporin or vaseline on it to help it heal.

Good Luck with him...keep the pictures coming.

:Welcome to The Squirrel Board!!

podgey
05-15-2010, 10:06 PM
iv got him when he was a baby now hes about 6 weeks. Yes when he eats something wet he will rub his face along the wood maybe to dry it out.. update pictures coming soon thx guys !

4skwerlz
05-15-2010, 10:18 PM
If the formula gets on his face or chin, it will cause bald patches. So after he eats, be sure to wash his face with a warm wet cloth to get all the formula off. He's adorable!

Ronda
05-16-2010, 12:27 AM
what a cute squirrel...welcome to TSB, i hope we get to see lots of pics and learn alot about your Hovis, i love seeing all these squirrels that are unusual for me

podgey
05-17-2010, 10:03 AM
took a few more pics, you can see the white bits on his face.. had a bit of a job gettin him to keep still! we dont feed him formula just normal food veg fruit and stuff.. he is so friendly but likes to urinate on my head sometimes haha.

podgey
05-17-2010, 10:06 AM
im sorry dont know how im screwing these pics up theyre huge. i cropped them to be smaller. :(

island rehabber
05-17-2010, 10:07 AM
podgey, all baby squirrels need formula until at least the 8th week of life -- most will keep taking it until 10-12 weeks old. I'm worried that your little guy is not getting the calcium he needs, that he would have gotten from his mamma's milk. Can you buy milk replacers where you live -- like "puppy milk" for example? Or is goat's milk available, because that would be excellent to give him in addition to the fruits & nuts.

Momma Squirrel
05-17-2010, 10:23 AM
:Welcome to you both, Hovis is just so adorable :Love_Icon

You have come to the right nut house to get all the info and help you need to help your little one grow strong, healthy and happy :crazy

podgey
05-17-2010, 10:23 AM
ok il go look for some tomorrow thx for the advice, wish i knew this earlier

island rehabber
05-17-2010, 10:27 AM
that's ok -- better late than never :). You'll also need a 1cc or a 3cc syringe to feed him with. If you use goat's milk, here is Jackie in Tampa's Goat's Milk Recipe for baby squirrels:

Jackie's Goat Milk Recipe
1 cup goats milk
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup dannon all natural vanilla yogurt

IF you can get these ingredients where you are, that recipe would be the best for him. If not, let us know what is available and we can check the ingredients for you to see which one is best. :thumbsup

gs1
05-17-2010, 10:46 AM
hi: :Welcome he is adorable!!!!

how are you regarding the unrest in thailand or I hope it is not in your area...or maybe it's not safe for you to speak about it on the open internet... ok ...sorry i asked... but i hope it will be safer for you all soon... the people of Thailand ... and the squirrels, animals etc...

hugs..stay safe...

keep in touch ....

love to the adorable... hovis!!!

(ps: now you are in very good company for hovis !!! there is so much to learn ... don't be intimidated ...we all had to start in the same area and are all learning more...)

:Welcome

podgey
05-17-2010, 10:51 AM
Thanks your all so helpful and knowledgeable!

Yes Thailand is a country with big problems, this has been going on for a while now and has definately come to a head. luckily we are in the south so its ok here but still very saddening, and frustrating to watch on the tv..

thanks again all:thumbsup

tomcics
05-17-2010, 10:59 AM
:Welcome Podgey, Hovis is one very beautiful little squirrel, love the colors. Hope you can have a bright future, look forward to new pictures and posts.

Anne
05-17-2010, 11:37 AM
:Welcome To the Board:D Hovis is adorable, and what a long tail!!!! Looking forward to more pictures and watching him grow. Keep safe.

Ultra Peepi
05-17-2010, 08:58 PM
:Welcome hi! that is a cute little hovis! you are in a great place with good people who can help you raise this little one.:thumbsup

muffinsquirrel
05-17-2010, 11:14 PM
S&S Exotics in Houston TX - http://www.sandsexoticanimals.com - has a pair of them for sale. They don't come cheap - $900 for the pair, I believe. I think they have had them for several months, but am not sure. S&S handles a lot of different exotics....the ones I have seen are not exactly what I would call tame - at least their flyers aren't. And if you'll notice in the photo of the squirrels, they have on a heavy glove to handle it.

muffinsquirrel

podgey
05-18-2010, 09:21 AM
wow i paid 400 baht about 13 dollars :)

lilbitsquirrely
05-18-2010, 10:11 AM
:Welcome I just found this post. I love your pictures of your baby.He is gorgeous.I hope you have a great time raising and loving him,they are all so enjoyable.:jump Remember nutrition is the way to a healthy, happy,and long lasting life together.:grouphug :wave123 :wahoo

amylou
05-20-2010, 10:24 AM
:Welcome what a cutie pie baby you have! Thanks for sharing the pictures! I'm not real sure what the bald patches could be from, but I'm sure one of our awesome rehab folks can let you know!:thumbsup
More pictures, more pictures!!!:D

podgey
05-22-2010, 07:38 AM
hi again thx for the nice comments! just an update on the bald patches. i noticed today that they arnt actually bald patches, its more like the fur and skin has turned a silver/white colour.. also on near his feet where the fur starts to come in, is starting to go white/silver a little bit too but the fur on his face is a little better and looks like its going brown again.

.. il try to get some close up photos.. if i can get him to keep still lol.. anyway he is quite happy and is very active .. he likes to snooze in his little sleeping bag at noon. :)

he doesnt really like to be kept hold of but hes not bothered if you stroke him.. Its so funjny when he is trying to make his own nest if the material is too big to get in the hole he makes this really cute noise , he also makes a noise when im playing with him :)

just a quicky i cant find the goats milk anywhere here. what would happen if i cave him noormal full fat cows milk? he likes a little bit of natural yougurt off my finger. so if i could replace the goats milk with normal thet would be ok for the recipie? thanks guys

prncsbabs1
05-22-2010, 02:24 PM
NO. Please do not feed your squirrel COWS MILK.

It will make him sick and die; it does not have the proper nutrition for a squirrel...they will get diarrea and get sick and die. I believe Fox Valley will ship out of the US.

But again...PLEASE DO NOT GIVE COW'S MILK to your squirrel.

This is from the internet:

"Any professional rehabilitator will tell you that recipe is completely inadequate! It doesn't make any sense - "whole" cow's milk sold in the grocery store isn't whole - it has had the cream scraped off the top and is only 4% fat. It's not even sufficient to raise a cow! Squirrel milk can be as high as 62% fat, so using a 4% fat milk will starve the baby to death. All pasteurized milk has already been heated to destroy bacteria and enzymes are required to digest food."

Below is a link to compare goats milk vs. cow:

http://altmedangel.com/milkcomp.htm

Jackie (Jackie in Tampa) has graciously offered her temporary replacement formula recipe.
Jackie's Goat Milk Recipe
1 cup goats milk
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup dannon all natural vanilla yogurt

podgey
05-22-2010, 08:24 PM
alright glad i checked on here first thankyou!

prncsbabs1
05-22-2010, 08:37 PM
Here is the link to Fox valley

http://foxvalleynutrition.com/main/home.asp

stosh2010
05-22-2010, 08:54 PM
Here are a few of your photos---reduced in size--as you had requested.He is ONE Beautiful Squirrel

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Stosh >>> Keeper of the KING