PDA

View Full Version : hello

Roky's mom
05-06-2010, 05:12 PM
hello i just joined tsb and thought i would say hi to every one also i have what i believe to be a 5 to 6 week old squirrel which we named roky :flash3 also would like to know is there a milk to feed him right now we are feeding him goats milk because the formula made him have diarrhea and when should i start regular food

Gina
05-06-2010, 05:26 PM
:Welcome Please see the nutrition section for Jackie's homemade Goats milk recipe. It is temporary until you can order some Fox Valley Formula. One of our members has a website you can order everything you need. Is cheaper then going to petco or walmart and is squirrel safe. :thankyou for saving and raising a baby squirrel. You have come to the right spot!!

Someone should be on soon to walk you through raising your new baby. They will want:

1) Picture (more the merrier) we love to "meet" the new one's
2) How long you have had him
3) What exactly you have been feeding him, how much/often
4) Pee/poop habits

Jackie in Tampa
05-06-2010, 05:32 PM
:Welcome :wave123
Welcome to TSB!
We recommend FoxValley Formula for Squirrels!:thumbsup
www.foxvalleynutrition.com (http://www.foxvalleynutrition.com)
Are you adding heavy creama nd yogurt to your Goats milk?
We recommend using a 1cc syringe with out the needle...for feeding!I will post a link to the ABCs of Baby sqs...
you will see three articles highlighted in purple, they are written by rehabbers and full of valuable info...aging, sexing, cages, feeding instructions and schedules!
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21626

:poke Can you post a pic, we love baby sqs!:Love_Icon
Good Luck and If you need any help...you've found a great site!

amylou
05-06-2010, 05:35 PM
:Welcome Glad you found this website to help you out. Many many wonderful folk here with tons of info to help you out!
Welp was gonna post those same webs Jackie..you beat me to it!:thumbsup Good Luck with Roky and hope to see some pics soon!

Mrs Skul
05-06-2010, 06:11 PM
:wave123 Hi Roky's Mom Wolcome to The Squirrel Board.:Welcome Jakcie is one of our great Rehabbers. You can trust what she is saying. FoxVally is the best formula. Nick The owner will ship it out next day if you need it quick. Allot of Rehabbers have had troubles with Esblac and some others milk formula. The formula caused diarrhea. A lot of babies died because of this. This is why we recommend FoxVally. :thumbsup If you need any supply you can order it from Chriss
http://www.squirrelsandmore.com/
(877)717-7748
(860)749-1129
She carries nipples syringes H Pads and every thing you can ever need to raise a baby squirrel. We also have a member who makes some healthy Blocks for Squirrels. When they start eating some solids. She has started caring FoxVally, nipples, syringes, Heat Pads, and lots of other stuff.
Visit the Henry's Healthy Pets website: http://henryspets.com
This should get you started.

Mrs Skul
05-06-2010, 06:42 PM
:wave123 Roky's Mom It would be nice if you could start a thread for Roky. Introduce him. Tell his story how he found his way to you. We also love PICTURES.LOTS AND LOTS of Pictures. :D
Now for the questions!!:D Do you have a heat pad under half of the container? Have you ever raised a Baby Squirrel? How long have you had him? What kind of squirrel is he? Are you stimulating him to pee and pooh? :thumbsup Do you have a gram scale? This will help you keep track for his weight. Based on the weight, That will tell you how much you should be feeding. This will be helpful if you ever need help.
Then if he gets sick you can post in the emergency thread. We usually have some one on hear 24/ 7:D
If you have a question about something. :thinking If something just does not seam right. Post in the non life threating. We have a lot of Squirrel Lovers hear at TSB. :dono Their is also a lot of License Rehabbers, and Rehabbers that have been doing this for many, many years. We usually can come up with the answer.:D I hope this will help you a little. I know it can be over whelming at times. Just bare with us and help will be their!!! :thumbsup Well I think I might have covered some of the question we would need from you! Now is their any more question you might have for Us.:D I would like to Welcome you and Roky To The Squirrel Board. I hope you will be happy hear!:)

Roky's mom
05-06-2010, 09:28 PM
thank you for all for the information. i have had roky for almost 2 weeks, him and his brother feel out of a tree after a bad storm. his brother did not make it. i found them in the morning on the ground waited almost 3 hours to see if mom would come get them but had to rescue them from a cat. the cat did not get to harm them. gave them some warm pedalite and water. then evaporated. but the pet store told me to give him infant kitten formula. well that does not like him he has diarrhea. i believe he 5 to 6 weeks old eyes just opened. no heating pad but hot water bottles. using a what looks like a baby bottle and he likes it just fine. as soon as my camera is working will post pictures.i have never took care of a squirrel but have done kittens

Roky's mom
05-06-2010, 10:07 PM
as far as the goats milk no am not adding yogurt or cream should i be?

Mrs Skul
05-07-2010, 03:29 AM
as far as the goats milk no am not adding yogurt or cream should i be?
:wave123 Yes you should add heavy whipping cream. Also some Vanilla yogurt. Use the FULL FAT. DON"T USE FAT FREE.It Needs To Be Full Fat! The cream is for the added Fat. Yogurt is for the good bacteria the squirrel needs in the gut. This helps with digesting. It also helps stop Diarrhea. :D I am not sure how much you need to add to goats milk. If You PM Jackie in Tampa she will let you know! Have you ordered the FoxVally Yet? Is he peeing and poohing OK? How often are you feeding him? How much? Do you have a gram scale, you can weigh him? Thank you for taking care of this little one. If you need anything, Just yell. Christal

Jackie in Tampa
05-07-2010, 04:11 AM
In light of the recent problems rehabbers have been experiencing with Esbilac formula, it has been decided that the best alternative is Fox Valley 32/40.
http://foxvalleynutrition.com/prod/d...p?CID=1&PLID=1 (http://foxvalleynutrition.com/prod/details.asp?CID=1&PLID=1)
Nicholas P. Vlamis, President (Nick)
(800) 679-4666
If you call in your order and tell him you need it quickly he'll be happy to oblige. He can ship to you regular post 3-5 days and overnight. He's very nice and very easy to work with.
In the meantime you will need to feed your baby a home-made formula, but please for the sake of the baby, do not feed this for more than 4-7 days. It's a great temporary replacer milk but it lacks certain vitamins and minerals that the babies need to thrive. This recipe will ensure that your baby will be well nourished until your order from Fox Valley arrives.

Jackie (Jackie in Tampa) has graciously offered her temporary replacement formula recipe.
Jackie's Goat Milk Recipe
1 cup goats milk
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup dannon all natural vanilla yogurt

Mix well and keep in a covered plastic or glass container in the refrigerator. Replace after 48 hours.
Please note, this website has several links that still mention Esbilac and we need to keep these links active as they do contain excellent information so please keep in mind that Fox Valley is now the formula of choice for raising baby squirrels.

Jackie in Tampa
05-07-2010, 04:22 AM
Hello again...I had started a long post to you and lost it...rrr!:soapbox
Heat is sooo important , better to use a constant heat source, I just bought a heating pad without automatic shutoff at CVS drug store for $14 dollars...
Place the pad, set on low half under container so they can leave the heat if it gets too hot, sometimes you have to put a towel between the container and the pad! But we do not use towels for sqs ion the box/cage, they get their nails caught in it. Tshirts and fleece work best.
Also, you can make a rice buddy, fill a sock with dried rice or beans and tie off, heating in micro for 20-60 seconds...they love to snuggle to a warm psuedo sib!:Love_Icon

:poke We love pics!!!!

:nono Baby bottle type feeders are dangerous and not recommended...we use 1ccs syringes without the needle...holding the baby upright, never tilted back...go very slow.
Aspiration pnuemonia needs to be treated with anti biotics asap, sqs can die fast if not.
Dump the bottle and get syringes!:thumbsup
If you are near Tampa...I can share some supplies with you until you find them!
Private message me if needed!:wave123

Roky's mom
05-07-2010, 09:31 AM
i will start adding the whipping cream and yogurt today, also will order the foxvally formula also when should i start to give him solid foods. i also want to thank everyone for all the good information. roxanne:jump

TinyPaws
05-07-2010, 08:10 PM
Hi :Welcome to the TSB family..

Roky's mom
05-08-2010, 12:49 AM
thank you i tried to get a pic of roky but he would rather sleep, lol :D so i put this one for my pic

Roky's mom
05-08-2010, 02:58 PM
this may sound funny but i am having trouble trying to put a picture up here and can not can some one help with something so silly, roky is on the goats milk and doing better his diarrhea is stopping :D just was able to put in a order for his formula when would be a good time to start solid foods for him also what kind of toys are good for roky right now he has a hamster piece of wood to chew on the pet store said it was ok also does he need a salt block in the cage?

Jackie in Tampa
05-08-2010, 04:11 PM
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21626
hello again! I posted a link that will answer many common questions!:thumbsup
I have posted it again above!
Glad to hear the diarreha is clearing, sometimes diarrehha stems from parasites, it can also be from overfeeding...as welll as the formula type.

I am not good at the pic thing...but will post a link for that also!
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=81

A baby sq should be able to balance itself and curl it's tail before eating solids.
Always remove the skin from apples and grapes, babies can choke on the peeling.
First foods are usually rodent blocks...
Sorry I cannot offer more.
Hope you can get some pics posted! Love to see Roky:Love_Icon

Roky's mom
05-08-2010, 05:24 PM
here is roky

Ronda
05-09-2010, 12:08 AM
Welcome! you have an adorable baby--good luck with your new little one...squirrels are the best!

Jackie in Tampa
05-09-2010, 05:52 AM
Awe, Roky is so precious..:Love_Icon
:) he should be getting formula every 5-6 hours and guessing 5-8 ccs each feeding. He looks to be almost/about 6 weeks old.
I would not give solids yet with the exception of the rodent blocks...which he will use to teeth with.
Keep those pics coming!:thumbsup

Ultra Peepi
05-09-2010, 12:24 PM
:Welcome Hi! Thanks for saving Roky, he is a cute little guy! You're definitely in great company here on the Board!:D

Roky's mom
05-10-2010, 10:58 PM
right now he is getting about 6 to 8 cc every 6 hours roky will not eat rodent block but likes the dog food he got into.:crazy . we are waiting on are order for his henry blocks maybe he will like thous