PDA

View Full Version : Hello from New York!

Oxymandias
05-03-2010, 04:50 PM
Hello everyone. My "name" is Oxymandias, and I live in upstate New York (so not the city). I'm 17 and usually have a cynical take on things, though I'm really an optimist at heart. I don't own or take care of any squirrels, but I do watch the critters when they're in my backyard. I'm pretty sure that several gray squirrels and a red squirrel (how long do they live, because I've seen that squirrel for most of my life, off and on, and I'm wondering if it's the same one or a different one?). I like wildlife and taking walks in the woods (depending on how large the wildlife is, hopefully not in combination) or in my hometown (lots of trees:crazy). It's always fun when I spot a snake or a chipmunk. Oddly enough, I don't usually see squirrels in the woods.
I joined this board because it looked like an interesting and a friendly place, and hopefully I could get a different perspective on animals that many people consider pests :shakehead . And because my knowledge of squirrels and biology doesn't extend far beyond high school science class and I would like to know more.
I hope to enjoy this board in the future.:rotfl

SkweeksMom
05-03-2010, 05:22 PM
Welcome Oxymandias from up-state NY. You live in a place I have always wanted to see.

This board is an amazing place, in my mind kind of magical. There are people here that have hearts beyond description that would do just about anything to help an innocent creature. :Love_Icon :Love_Icon

I have always loved animals but TSB has taught me that working as a group and helping one creature at a time can have a huge impact, on the animal, the people involved and in the world.

Jackie in Tampa
05-03-2010, 05:34 PM
:Welcome :wave123

prncsbabs1
05-03-2010, 06:19 PM
:Welcome
From Long Island, NY :squirrel1

ChipmunkLuver
05-03-2010, 07:35 PM
Welcome from Upstate NY as well (outside the ADK park)!
I got excited at seeing your location =D

They are so fun to watch indeed. I hope you include tales (pics?) of your backyard friends. Squirrels are always up to some mischief..

Have you ever seen any flying squirrels around your neck of the wide woods? Apparently we have them around (upstate) here, but I've never noticed one though maybe another native has a different perspective XP

SquirrelLove
05-03-2010, 08:17 PM
:Welcome :squirrel1 :squirrel1 :squirrel1 :thumbsup5 :fireworks
Welcome, I hope you enjoy it here! We are all a little "nuts" here!
Joanne in Jax FL

lilbitsquirrely
05-03-2010, 08:29 PM
:wave123 Hello from Pensacola Florida.I hope you learn as much as I have so far and much more ,and have lots of fun.:wahoo The people here are fabulous and this site is one of the greatest.:jump :Welcome

Ultra Peepi
05-04-2010, 08:10 AM
:Welcome hi! you picked a great place to learn. :D

stosh2010
05-04-2010, 08:45 AM
Buenos dias ! --------from Costa Rica. I was born in NYC and raised on Long Island, and have spent the last two years in Central America.

Glad to hear your interest in wildlife in your area. LOTS of great advice and info here...everyone SHARES on TSB. :Welcome :Welcome :Welcome

When you have the time ...check out my Rama Rota's ( the KING of COSTA RICA )thread on Non-Life Threatening. He is a Variagated Tri color--a little different than most. And Rama is a HOOT ! :multi :multi :multi :multi :multi

Need PHOTOS !!!!!!!!!!

Stosh >>> Keeper of the KING

Oxymandias
05-04-2010, 09:40 AM
Thank you everyone! Nice to be here.
I have never seen a flying squirrel, sorry :( That would be really cool, though. When do you look for them (night, day morning, etc.)?

ChipmunkLuver
05-04-2010, 03:44 PM
They are nocturnal so at night.

I didn't believe they were native here at first since I'd never seen one :crazy

island rehabber
05-04-2010, 04:05 PM
:WelcomeOxymandias from down here in da Bronx. :D
There are definitely flying squirrels as far south as upper Westchester County, so go out late at night and sit quietly below the tallest tree you can find.....watch for flyers! They are truly magical little creatures.
Do you have black squirrels near you? Parts of NY state, like my area, have lots of them and others have never seen one. :dono

ShesASquirrelyGirl
05-04-2010, 06:03 PM
Welcome!! :Welcome

Oxymandias
05-04-2010, 07:20 PM
To Island Rehabber: I don't think we have any black squirrels (or at least I've never seen one). So far as I know, only chipmunks, gray and red squirrels, and maybe a few rabbits.
Looking for flying squirrels sounds like fun, but do they avoid human areas?

Ronda
05-05-2010, 06:13 AM
Welcome! .. looking forward to hearing about your squirrely observations - do you get pics of the squirrels in your area?

stosh2010
05-05-2010, 07:28 AM
My Mom & sister and brother live in the Albany area and we have family further up-state in the Sagandaga Lake area. .
I don't know the breeds of squirrels there, because up until Rama Rota made my home HIS KINGDOM...I guess I considered all squirrels the same.... :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead

Lo Siento---TSB ---( I'm Sorry )

Stosh >>> Keeper of the KING

Oxymandias
05-07-2010, 05:59 AM
To Ronda: I've never tried taking pictures (they usually run away the instant you get close enough to them to get a good picture). Maybe with a camera with a good zoom function...:dono

Chickenlegs
05-07-2010, 09:33 AM
Welcome from Virginia. If you love wildlife, you came to the right place. The critters in your backyard will open your eyes to realio-trulio magic and the folks here are the caretakers of that magic. Listen and learn Padawan!

TinyPaws
05-07-2010, 08:16 PM
:wave123 Hi :Welcome to our family..I am sure you will learn all you want about squirrels and other animals here on TSB...Glad you're here..

MeccaBeesSquirrels
05-07-2010, 10:10 PM
Hello everyone. My "name" is Oxymandias, and I live in upstate New York (so not the city). I'm 17 and usually have a cynical take on things, though I'm really an optimist at heart. I don't own or take care of any squirrels, but I do watch the critters when they're in my backyard. I'm pretty sure that several gray squirrels and a red squirrel (how long do they live, because I've seen that squirrel for most of my life, off and on, and I'm wondering if it's the same one or a different one?). I like wildlife and taking walks in the woods (depending on how large the wildlife is, hopefully not in combination) or in my hometown (lots of trees:crazy). It's always fun when I spot a snake or a chipmunk. Oddly enough, I don't usually see squirrels in the woods.
I joined this board because it looked like an interesting and a friendly place, and hopefully I could get a different perspective on animals that many people consider pests :shakehead . And because my knowledge of squirrels and biology doesn't extend far beyond high school science class and I would like to know more.
I hope to enjoy this board in the future.:rotfl

HEY HEY HEY:wave123
got a question for you?
i'm also from upstate new york :D (so not the city either)
what part of upstate do you live in?
i live in the finger lakes now, but am originally from the adirondacks.
maybe we've passed eachother before! :crazy

amylou
05-12-2010, 04:29 PM
:Welcome Wonderful to have another New Yorker join us! Hope you can share some pictures soon!

my Twiggy
05-14-2010, 12:19 AM
:Welcome You have come to a wonderful place full of caring people who are always ready to try and help out. I am in KY but some of my Mom's cousins and aunts and uncles are from NY, around and in Buffalo. (well my Mom was born in Buffalo, but hey moved when she was ten.) :Welcome