PDA

View Full Version : Chuck needs some more help ! Please !

Pages : [1] 2 3

Squirrely Steve
04-28-2010, 06:58 PM
Hello :wave123

I just walked in the door and got Chuck out of his cage and he looks like were his poop comes out the whole area is all puffed up like the size of a half golf ball. I put him the garage so I could type this.I took some pictures before he went out but got to up load. He is moving around ok.
Is he conspited or backed up ?
I am very Scraed so I jumped on here trying to stay calm.
Should I put a warm wash cloth there ?
I am going to work on the pictures
Please Help me and my buddy chuck.
I cant lose him.
Thank you

Squirrely Steve

Nancy in New York
04-28-2010, 07:03 PM
Hello :wave123

I just walked in the door and got Chuck out of his cage and he looks like were his poop comes out the whole area is all puffed up like the size of a half golf ball. I put him the garage so I could type this.I took some pictures before he went out but got to up load. He is moving around ok.
Is he conspited or backed up ?
I am very Scraed so I jumped on here trying to stay calm.
Should I put a warm wash cloth there ?
I am going to work on the pictures
Please Help me and my buddy chuck.
I cant lose him.
Thank you

Squirrely Steve

Steve does that area seem tender to the touch? Has he eaten anything different lately. Have you noticed if he has been going to the bathroom...I am going to pm some others to help...stay calm and get the pictures up, that will help us...:grouphug

Nancy in New York
04-28-2010, 07:05 PM
Also...if you have some Rescue Remedy when you examine him that may help...don't worry about answering anyone now, get the photos up. If someone asks something important...then you can stop with the photos and answer...

Squirrely Steve
04-28-2010, 07:11 PM
Steve does that area seem tender to the touch? Has he eaten anything different lately. Have you noticed if he has been going to the bathroom...I am going to pm some others to help...stay calm and get the pictures up, that will help us...:grouphug

Hi Nancy :grouphug

I will have to go get him.
Its is white fur around the area
I been gone all day
I seen him at lunch time.
I got a bad picture I will put up and go get him.
God I am Scared for him.
His Opening looks closed
Thanks for helping us Nancy :grouphug

Squirrely Steve
04-28-2010, 07:13 PM
Also...if you have some Rescue Remedy when you examine him that may help...don't worry about answering anyone now, get the photos up. If someone asks something important...then you can stop with the photos and answer...

Hi Nancy
I am going to get Chuck need better pictures
Rescue Remedy was on Chucks get List
Be back doing some checking
getting Chuck

Nancy in New York
04-28-2010, 07:15 PM
OK Steve you get Chuck and we will see what we can do for this little one...

CritterMom
04-28-2010, 07:16 PM
No more morels. They may be fine but they are new and he has eaten them recently. Is it his testicles or anus?

Squirrely Steve
04-28-2010, 07:22 PM
No more morels. They may be fine but they are new and he has eaten them recently. Is it his testicles or anus?

Hi Critter Mom:grouphug

Yes no more morels

Its not possiable to get a good picture he keeps fighting me. To hard to hold camara and chuck and shot right now
I felt the area it is swollen and under his anus
you can feel poop in there like small jelly beans
he didnt like it
His is still very active Chucky a good sign
I left him in the garage

CritterMom
04-28-2010, 07:31 PM
OK, don't stress him by trying to get a pic. I wonder if morels have constipating effects. It sounds as though Chuck himself is not in distress other than your manhandling him.

First, both of you need to calm down a bit. Do you have any canned pumpkin by any chance? That will get their bowels moving. Try to push liquids, fruit and veggies tonight and hold off on the squirrel blocks. If you have any non-citrus fruit juice, you could cut it 50/50 with water and syringe feed some to him. You want to keep him somewhere that you can see if he poops...

Squirrely Steve
04-28-2010, 07:31 PM
Sheri helped me get some pictures getting them uploaded right now.
Chuck is running around in the house now
Dang its swollen
Maybe male gland thing or poop block up ?

Nancy in New York
04-28-2010, 07:32 PM
Hi Critter Mom:grouphug

Yes no more morels

Its not possiable to get a good picture he keeps fighting me. To hard to hold camara and chuck and shot right now
I felt the area it is swollen and under his anus
you can feel poop in there like small jelly beans
he didnt like it
His is still very active Chucky a good sign
I left him in the garage

I think this is going to be hard without rr. If you can fill up a basin with warm water, I think I would try soaking him a little but if you touch that area, I wonder if he is going to get more annoyed? I think I would try soaking it in warm and massaging his belly...make sure you dry him off really well, we don't want him gettting a chill...

Squirrely Steve
04-28-2010, 07:36 PM
OK, don't stress him by trying to get a pic. I wonder if morels have constipating effects. It sounds as though Chuck himself is not in distress other than your manhandling him.

First, both of you need to calm down a bit. Do you have any canned pumpkin by any chance? That will get their bowels moving. Try to push liquids, fruit and veggies tonight and hold off on the squirrel blocks. If you have any non-citrus fruit juice, you could cut it 50/50 with water and syringe feed some to him. You want to keep him somewhere that you can see if he poops...

I have been having the other effect with the morels in the last couple of Days
going like crazy but I am not Chucky.
Trying to calm down its hard
No can pumpkins
I will push liquids and get him where I can watch the poops.
working on pictures

Squirrely Steve
04-28-2010, 07:38 PM
I think this is going to be hard without rr. If you can fill up a basin with warm water, I think I would try soaking him a little but if you touch that area, I wonder if he is going to get more annoyed? I think I would try soaking it in warm and massaging his belly...make sure you dry him off really well, we don't want him gettting a chill...

Would a warm wet wash cloth be ok he doesnt like to get wet

CritterMom
04-28-2010, 07:43 PM
I would rather have both of you calm than have pics right now. If this is a constipation thing it would be nice if you could get him - if not soaking in a basin of warm water, at least calm enough that you could keep a warm, wet cloth on there for a while, and maybe give him a tummy rub. I want to know he's pooping.

I know it's hard, but ya gotta chill - he will mirror your emotions and we need him to calm down (though his activity means he feels okay, which is good).

Squirrely Steve
04-28-2010, 07:45 PM
ok anoughter shot at the pictures

Squirrely Steve
04-28-2010, 07:48 PM
I would rather have both of you calm than have pics right now. If this is a constipation thing it would be nice if you could get him - if not soaking in a basin of warm water, at least calm enough that you could keep a warm, wet cloth on there for a while, and maybe give him a tummy rub. I want to know he's pooping.

I know it's hard, but ya gotta chill - he will mirror your emotions and we need him to calm down (though his activity means he feels okay, which is good).

Ok I will
Thank you

Nancy in New York
04-28-2010, 07:50 PM
crittermom check you pm

JLM27
04-28-2010, 07:50 PM
Steve, your not talking about his testicles are you? He's in season right now, from the looks of them.

CritterMom
04-28-2010, 07:55 PM
No, it's kind of hard to tell but his anal area is all swollen - behind the testicles.

Steve, get Chucky quieted down and get him on that warm wet cloth for a while, then try to work gently at the area with the cloth. If it has swollen shut you need to very gently by rubbing with the cloth open it up and see if you can work the poops out. Please don't panic - if he doesn;t want to cooperate, give him a bit and try again.

Squirrely Steve
04-28-2010, 08:01 PM
Steve, your not talking about his testicles are you? He's in season right now, from the looks of them.

Hi JLM27:grouphug
Nope its is his poop area for sure
Thanks

Squirrely Steve
04-28-2010, 08:04 PM
No, it's kind of hard to tell but his anal area is all swollen - behind the testicles.

Steve, get Chucky quieted down and get him on that warm wet cloth for a while, then try to work gently at the area with the cloth. If it has swollen shut you need to very gently by rubbing with the cloth open it up and see if you can work the poops out. Please don't panic - if he doesn;t want to cooperate, give him a bit and try again.

Yep its swollen you can feel the poop in there
I warm his poop area up with a warm wet wash cloth and been rubbing got about 4-5 min's in and now he is doing a little running
giving him and me a break going to try some more in about 5 min
Thanks

Squirrely Steve
04-28-2010, 08:14 PM
We got one poop to come out
looks halfway normal
dang there is a lot of poop in him
gave him a break
will try some more

CritterMom
04-28-2010, 08:19 PM
Steve, this might take a while, but it sounds like a good sign. If it wasn't for the swelling, I would figure that once the first came out it would "unblock" things, but since he is swollen I think you should keep soaking and working the area (gently) and see if you can empty the little guy out. Don't forget to give him some juice/water or even a little sugar water (to make it interesting enough to drink). Take your time.

Squirrely Steve
04-28-2010, 08:34 PM
Dang not my kind of night
Rubbing my Squirrels butt
Praying for poop
no more poop yet
He just did the one.
must be a bunch in him
can tell it hurts him some
he drink 3 sringes of plain water
I dont think we have any fruit juice
I am looking

Squirrely Steve
04-28-2010, 08:37 PM
Steve, this might take a while, but it sounds like a good sign. If it wasn't for the swelling, I would figure that once the first came out it would "unblock" things, but since he is swollen I think you should keep soaking and working the area (gently) and see if you can empty the little guy out. Don't forget to give him some juice/water or even a little sugar water (to make it interesting enough to drink). Take your time.

I will Critter Mom
I give him 5 min breaks then try again
Dang its getting close to sun going down chuck will want to go to bed.
He still sleeps above the fridge at least
Thanks so much for being here for us :grouphug

CritterMom
04-28-2010, 08:45 PM
OK, water is good.

Take your time. He got one poop out which tells us that his anus isn't completely swollen shut, so that is good. Soak, soak soak, and instead of rubbing the anus, which is getting sore, stroke his tummy (he will probably like this), stroking down toward the anus. Let him have some chow - fruits or veggies if he's interested. Then soak and stroke. You had something better to do on a Wednesday night?

Steve, I don't know that this is the problem, but since you can feel the poops in there I think emptying him is a good idea.

Squirrely Steve
04-28-2010, 08:47 PM
Dang he just went into his night nest
only one poop
three sringes of water
dang not enough
should I keep after him and get him back out ?

scoobysnack
04-28-2010, 08:48 PM
Hi Steve I have a message for you from a friend..

From PBluejay:

Did a little research for you, Steve. Unless I'm wrong (which I very well may be), I don't think what you're feeling is poop unless he's somehow herniated himself on both sides of the abdominal wall. Rodents have what's called "sebaceous glands" (oil secreting for scent marking), and they can get stopped up and filled with what's called "sebum" (a fatty secretion). According to one source, in rodents "At the end of the rectum a zone between the skin and the glandular mucous membrane contains numerous sebaceous glands, which could be called anal glands." And another source states. "Sebaceous adenomas [benign tumors] such as fibrosarcomas are locally invasive and may be difficult to remove. Sebaceous adenomas can become quite large and are filled with caseous [cheese-like] sebum, which should not be confused with pus."

Again, I may be totally off the mark here, but it's a possibility.

Squirrely Steve
04-28-2010, 08:57 PM
OK, water is good.

Take your time. He got one poop out which tells us that his anus isn't completely swollen shut, so that is good. Soak, soak soak, and instead of rubbing the anus, which is getting sore, stroke his tummy (he will probably like this), stroking down toward the anus. Let him have some chow - fruits or veggies if he's interested. Then soak and stroke. You had something better to do on a Wednesday night?

Steve, I don't know that this is the problem, but since you can feel the poops in there I think emptying him is a good idea.

Dang he went to bed.
Do they have glands that swell up there ?
I will stroke on his belly if I can get him up.
Dang he ate a big pecan before he went to bed he had stashed by his night dog bone nest box.
I had a list of things better and more fun.
But Chuck takes the top Now
Dang he always does

stosh2010
04-28-2010, 08:59 PM
Just a quick note to tell you Rama and I are Praying Chuck feels better real soon.

Stosh >>> Keeper of the KING

scoobysnack
04-28-2010, 09:01 PM
Just an observation from the horse world that might or might not apply here. An impacted horse won't eat. If he's eating happily, I doubt he's overly constipated or stopped up.

Yes from what Jack sent, that gland IS there. Or at least that's how I'm reading it.

CritterMom
04-28-2010, 09:04 PM
Let him rest a little while we ponder this.

Am I correct that this appeared between lunch today and now? Seems pretty fast for a sebaceous tumor I think.

Since emptying him of poop won't hurt him, you may also want to rub some mineral oil or some of the emu oil I sent you into the anal area. If he IS stopped up, it may lube things up a bit. I think I would at least do that - work some oil into the anal area - and give him another syringe or two of some sugar water.

Don't worry about the pecan!

Squirrely Steve
04-28-2010, 09:05 PM

From PBluejay:

Did a little research for you, Steve. Unless I'm wrong (which I very well may be), I don't think what you're feeling is poop unless he's somehow herniated himself on both sides of the abdominal wall. Rodents have what's called "sebaceous glands" (oil secreting for scent marking), and they can get stopped up and filled with what's called "sebum" (a fatty secretion). According to one source, in rodents "At the end of the rectum a zone between the skin and the glandular mucous membrane contains numerous sebaceous glands, which could be called anal glands." And another source states. "Sebaceous adenomas [benign tumors] such as fibrosarcomas are locally invasive and may be difficult to remove. Sebaceous adenomas can become quite large and are filled with caseous [cheese-like] sebum, which should not be confused with pus."

Hi scoobysnack :grouphug and PBluejay: :grouphug
Many Hugs thanks so much :grouphug :grouphug
Thanks so much for helping :bowdown :bowdown
Seems like overnight he swelled up or afternoon. ?
would these come on fast ?
any sugestions what to do ?
He went to bed should I get him up and keep working his belly and watch him ?

scoobysnack
04-28-2010, 09:09 PM
I just don't know Steve. My Chihuahua swelled up terribly in his anal glands one time. It seemed like it happened in minutes.

Maybe not a tumor, that was only one source. Could just be impacted with sebum. I would think that could seem fairly sudden.

Squirrely Steve
04-28-2010, 09:09 PM
Let him rest a little while we ponder this.

Am I correct that this appeared between lunch today and now? Seems pretty fast for a sebaceous tumor I think.

Since emptying him of poop won't hurt him, you may also want to rub some mineral oil or some of the emu oil I sent you into the anal area. If he IS stopped up, it may lube things up a bit. I think I would at least do that - work some oil into the anal area - and give him another syringe or two of some sugar water.

Don't worry about the pecan!

Yes Since lunch time
I will let him rest for a little bit and find some oil and be back
thanks so much :grouphug

4skwerlz
04-28-2010, 09:18 PM
Rats don't have anal glands.

Only carnivores have them.

scoobysnack
04-28-2010, 09:23 PM
I didn't say the rat had anal glands I said my chihuahua did. If you read the post I sent from PBJ you will see what we are talking about. I'm not going to repost it when you can read it just a few posts up.

I was comparing the two not saying they are the same. My point being if there is a blockage inflammation can occur very fast. Besides who is talking about rats? Chuck is a squirrel.

4skwerlz
04-28-2010, 09:31 PM
I see the swelling. If Chuck is still eating, drinking, and acting fine, and in the absence of fever--or swelling, heat, redness or pain in the area--this is likely an allergic reaction of some kind, though in a strange area to be sure. Morels....don't feed those any more! Have a rehabber dose some Benedryl for Chuck and see how he is in the morning. Agree this is unlikely to be a poop backup, as feces would accumulate in the lower belly area and feel like a hard mass.

CritterMom
04-28-2010, 09:31 PM
If it IS the sebaceous glands, can they be expressed?

I am still sticking with this:

Chuck recently ate a fair quantity of morels, wild mushrooms that Steve collected (you can see on his regular gray squirrel forum thread). By recently I mean yesterday I think. They are very seasonal and are NOT on his normal diet.

By Steve's own admission, the morels he ate made him a bit more, um, *regular* than usual.

A few bouts with nasty diarrhea would cause swelling, and normally forming poops after the diarrhea would have difficulty getting out past the swelling. Hence the oil.

What am I missing?

scoobysnack
04-28-2010, 09:37 PM
If this is a simple inflammation then COLD compresses are what you want. New inflammation cold compresses, old injuries hot. If you are using anything warm I would stop doing that. I also wouldn't be rubbing him or using water on him. That will irritate him even more.

I totally missed the part about the morels. Entirely possible this is simply inflammation due to him being itchy from feces on his rectum.

CritterMom
04-28-2010, 09:49 PM
The morels part is on Chuck's regular thread. I stalk Chuck, so I am always up on what he's doing!

Oil the boy up and let him get a little sleep. I will check the thread later, but Steve, you have my number - use it if you need to, 'kay? I have missed sleep for more stupid reasons than you can imagine - Chuck is one of the best reasons I know.

I will be looking for an upate in the AM. Lets hope for poop and reduced swelling.

Squirrely Steve
04-28-2010, 10:02 PM
The morels part is on Chuck's regular thread. I stalk Chuck, so I am always up on what he's doing!

Oil the boy up and let him get a little sleep. I will check the thread later, but Steve, you have my number - use it if you need to, 'kay? I have missed sleep for more stupid reasons than you can imagine - Chuck is one of the best reasons I know.

I will be looking for an upate in the AM. Lets hope for poop and reduced swelling.

Hi Critter Mom
I agree I think it is somethings from the morels
I will call if we need some help. :thankyou
I have a question I dont have any minerail oil out here can I use oilve oil or peto base or should I look for something else ?
Sorry guys I got a bad head ack running with part of brain.
Trying to shake it and get oil on Chuck and crash

Squirrely Steve

scoobysnack
04-28-2010, 10:05 PM
If it's a skin irritation I can't see oil making it better.

Squirrely Steve
04-28-2010, 10:07 PM
Just a quick note to tell you Rama and I are Praying Chuck feels better real soon.

Aww... Thanks guys :grouphug

Squirrely Steve and Chuck

Squirrely Steve
04-28-2010, 10:11 PM
If it's a skin irritation I can't see oil making it better.

Hi scoobysnack

The oil should help him poop some.
I swear I can feel little poops in there and it kind of looks like his opening is not working right ?

Squirrely Steve
04-28-2010, 10:18 PM
If this is a simple inflammation then COLD compresses are what you want. New inflammation cold compresses, old injuries hot. If you are using anything warm I would stop doing that. I also wouldn't be rubbing him or using water on him. That will irritate him even more.

I totally missed the part about the morels. Entirely possible this is simply inflammation due to him being itchy from feces on his rectum.

Hi Scooby snack

Makes sence
He has been having skin and different things around the area
sorry guys I feel behind
I am going to put a little oil on him just around the opening and let him rest

Squirrely Steve and Chucky

Squirrely Steve
04-28-2010, 10:23 PM
If it IS the sebaceous glands, can they be expressed?

I am still sticking with this:

Chuck recently ate a fair quantity of morels, wild mushrooms that Steve collected (you can see on his regular gray squirrel forum thread). By recently I mean yesterday I think. They are very seasonal and are NOT on his normal diet.

By Steve's own admission, the morels he ate made him a bit more, um, *regular* than usual.

A few bouts with nasty diarrhea would cause swelling, and normally forming poops after the diarrhea would have difficulty getting out past the swelling. Hence the oil.

What am I missing?

Hi Critter Mom
I agree :thumbsup

Squirrely Steve
04-28-2010, 10:26 PM
Hey Squirrel Friends

Do you think olive oil is ok to use instead of minerial oil or a peto jelly ok ?

Thanks

Squirrely Steve

Squirrely Steve
04-28-2010, 10:41 PM
We are going to use some Emu Oil
Thanks everyone for all your help today :grouphug
Means so much to me :grouphug
Thanks

Tum Tum
04-29-2010, 12:41 AM
Good luck to you, i know how much he means to you, im sure he will be okay, but ill be sending out prayers just in case.

SquirrelNut
04-29-2010, 05:45 AM
Steve and Chuck, we sure hope this morning will be a better one for you!! Nos and I are sending our prayers and love to both of you!

Please get better FAST, dear Chuck!:Love_Icon

stosh2010
04-29-2010, 06:48 AM
Steve, It's 5:45 Costa Rican time, and I am just hoping Both you & Chuck had a good night sleep.
Praying today Chuck returns to his "REGULAR" happy self.

FallensMommie
04-29-2010, 07:22 AM

From PBluejay:

I think PBJ is probably correct....it was my first thought due to knowing somebody that dealt with it with their squirrel. Their squirrel had to go under for some surgery. Dr. Emerson did the surgery.

CritterMom
04-29-2010, 07:39 AM
We have a no vet problem here.

I have a question regarding this. Steve has palpated the area multiple times in the process of what he was doing last night, and he can clearly feel individual formed poops inside - at least he can feel what feels like poop sized jelly beans in there, and was able to actually "retrieve" one of them last night. So is what he is feeling NOT poop (and the one he got last night just a coincidence) but sebaceous tumors?

Regardless of the outcome of this, I sure would like to help Steve do the research to find him some way to get vet help for Chuck - if he doesn't need it this time, he may eventually.

scoobysnack
04-29-2010, 07:42 AM
I think this board needs a section where vets in illegal states are hunted down and listed for emergencies like this.

It's not necessarily a "tumor" I think there is a hang up on that word. It can just be a "clogging" of the glands. It "can" be a tumor but doesn't have to be. It's two different circumstances from what I read in Jack's information.

He could be right or he could be wrong. It was just another suggestion. Something else to think about. Another avenue to explore.

SquirrelNut
04-29-2010, 07:47 AM
i agree about the vets. of course, some of the vets might NOT want to be listed for obvious reasons. if anyone in or near san francisco needs one, i have a wonderful one. she volunteers for a wildlife group, also.

Squirrely Steve
04-29-2010, 07:49 AM
Good Morning Friends :grouphug

Thanks so much for being here for us. :grouphug

Thanks FallensMommie :grouphug
I am very worried he might have this :thinking
he got up this morning and is still swollen about 3/4"/19mm dia and sticks out quite a bit 3/8" to 1/2"
I held him and a poop came out but it is a flat the size is normal but flat.
it least poop is coming out but this cant be good.
I gave Chuck his breakfest and 2 sringes of water
I did chores and went to work.
We are out of a lot of food in the house so I am going to get some food at noon when I go home to help him what ever you guys tell me.:grouphug

Thanks Tum Tum and SquirrelNut and Stosh :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Thanks all for every ones help :grouphug

I am trying to stay Calm :sanp3
but having trouble :shakehead

Squirrly Steve and Chucky

Nancy in New York
04-29-2010, 07:52 AM
Good Morning Friends :grouphug

Thanks so much for being here for us. :grouphug

Thanks FallensMommie :grouphug
I am very worried he might have this :thinking
he got up this morning and is still swollen about 3/4"/19mm dia and sticks out quite a bit 3/8" to 1/2"
I held him and a poop came out but it is a flat the size is normal but flat.
it least poop is coming out but this cant be good.
I gave Chuck his breakfest and 2 sringes of water
I did chores and went to work.
We are out of a lot of food in the house so I am going to get some food at noon when I go home to help him what ever you guys tell me.:grouphug

Thanks Tum Tum and SquirrelNut and Stosh :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Thanks all for every ones help :grouphug

I am trying to stay Calm :sanp3
but having trouble :shakehead

Squirrly Steve and Chucky

Rescue Remedy...:grouphug

CritterMom
04-29-2010, 07:53 AM
Yeah, the problem is that in many cases, they are treating these animals at the risk of their licenses. So willingly listing that would be problematic to say the least.

What would be nice is a list of rehabbers who are willing to extend their "umbrella" to make vet care available through them. All of these are gray areas, unfortunately, depending on individual state laws, etc.

Squirrely Steve
04-29-2010, 07:56 AM
Rescue Remedy...:grouphug

Do I spray it on my Feet ?
:jump :jump

virgo062
04-29-2010, 07:58 AM

:rotfl

scoobysnack
04-29-2010, 08:02 AM
Yeah, the problem is that in many cases, they are treating these animals at the risk of their licenses. So willingly listing that would be problematic to say the least.

What would be nice is a list of rehabbers who are willing to extend their "umbrella" to make vet care available through them. All of these are gray areas, unfortunately, depending on individual state laws, etc.

Willing to extend without pushing to take possession of the squirrel. When I had Scooby as a baby and then was handed more babies, the rehabbers I contacted to take the new babies were very very pushy about trying to get Scooby from me. It made me very uncomfortable.

If the vet care could be extended without the feeling that the squirrel was going to be "taken" that would be wonderful.

CritterMom
04-29-2010, 08:04 AM
Steve, do get the rescue remedy at lunch, okay - it will make things a lot easier. Regular kind, not the "for sleep" or "for pets" type. The spray bottle is easier (looks like a breath spray) but the bottle with the eyedropper is good, too.

Also, get some canned pumpkin - not pie filling, straight canned pumpkin. Tastes yummy and makes them poop. Even if the swelling is from the sebaceous gland, and is not caused by him straining to poop or even having had some bouts of diarrhea that caused the swelling and has him plugged up now, something has the boy plugged.

Were you able to find any indication that Chuck had diarrhea yesterday? Depending on his cage, that may be hard to find...

How is Chuck acting - normal Chuck? Eating, drinking, playing?

Squirrely Steve
04-29-2010, 08:05 AM
Hi Critter Mom :grouphug
Hi Scoobysnack :grouphug
Hi SquirrelNut :grouphug

I have no vet help here :grouphug
I will do whatever I can and whatever you say :thumbsup
I can do a lot :thinking
Thanks so much for helping :grouphug

Thanks all :grouphug

SquirrelNut
04-29-2010, 08:07 AM
it is too bad it is like this when it comes to helping a living critter! i currently have three vets who would treat my nos!

i wonder how many vets would treat a squirrel if you were discreet about it?

steve, do you have any vets that you know well and could ask them?

CritterMom
04-29-2010, 08:19 AM

Knucklehead! Rub it on your ears!!!

For people, under the tongue is fastest.

Squirrely Steve
04-29-2010, 08:21 AM
Steve, do get the rescue remedy at lunch, okay - it will make things a lot easier. Regular kind, not the "for sleep" or "for pets" type. The spray bottle is easier (looks like a breath spray) but the bottle with the eyedropper is good, too.

Also, get some canned pumpkin - not pie filling, straight canned pumpkin. Tastes yummy and makes them poop. Even if the swelling is from the sebaceous gland, and is not caused by him straining to poop or even having had some bouts of diarrhea that caused the swelling and has him plugged up now, something has the boy plugged.

Were you able to find any indication that Chuck had diarrhea yesterday? Depending on his cage, that may be hard to find...

How is Chuck acting - normal Chuck? Eating, drinking, playing?

Hi Critter Mom

I am going to get the rescue remedy at lunch time I am going to look up and call petco,farm fleet, and we have some animal hospital places that might have it. is it hard to find ? I may need a Picture or a link I was going to order from 4sq
I will get some canned pumpkin good idea Thank You.
Not sure if he had diarrhera yesterday sheri said he slept most of the day.
Today...
Eating ok he ate a nut and ran for breakfest
He ran around a little not much playing to much, but a stressed out steve is not much fun
I seen him scoot on his butt this morning and rember I took a video about a week ago him doing that I am going to look for in awhile.
did not get any new pictures will try later after getting poop food.
I have been very busy the last week or so I may have missed a slow swollen
but dang I play and I am with him every day think I would of seen that. :dono

Squirrely Steve
04-29-2010, 08:24 AM
Knucklehead! Rub it on your ears!!!

For people, under the tongue is fastest.

I am going to try some soon as I get it in the parking lot
Ears and under tongue

4skwerlz
04-29-2010, 08:31 AM
I spoke with a rehabber who has seen this exact thing in one of her squirrels. It was a cluster of poops backed up due to eating something unusual or constipating. You will need to gently press around the anus to express the poops. A little oil can help stretch the rectum.

Hope this helps.

Squirrely Steve
04-29-2010, 08:33 AM
it is too bad it is like this when it comes to helping a living critter! i currently have three vets who would treat my nos!

i wonder how many vets would treat a squirrel if you were discreet about it?

steve, do you have any vets that you know well and could ask them?

Hi Squirrel Nut

I have tried some of the places around here and got no help :shakehead
I have call half way up wisconsin looking for a vet to help with Chuck when I first got him and had no luck.
So affaid of getting him taken from me. :shakehead
I have one vet that has a picture of a squirrel on his wall of animals he must of took care of ,he is one card I may have :dono

Squirrely Steve
04-29-2010, 08:39 AM
I spoke with a rehabber who has seen this exact thing in one of her squirrels. It was a cluster of poops backed up due to eating something unusual or constipating. You will need to gently press around the anus to express the poops. A little oil can help stretch the rectum.

Hope this helps.

Hi 4skwerlz :grouphug

Good news.. sounds like chuck I swear I can feel and see little poops threw his skin. :thinking
I we get some good poop food and R&R and do some more gently pushing at lunch time today.
I put some Emu Oil around the area this morning before he went in his cage.
Dang how much danger is Chuck in ?
Should I be doing this more right now ?

Thanks Helps a Lot :grouphug

CritterMom
04-29-2010, 08:47 AM
Hi Critter Mom

I am going to get the rescue remedy at lunch time I am going to look up and call petco,farm fleet, and we have some animal hospital places that might have it. is it hard to find ? I may need a Picture or a link I was going to order from 4sq
I will get some canned pumpkin good idea Thank You.
Not sure if he had diarrhera yesterday sheri said he slept most of the day.
Today...
Eating ok he ate a nut and ran for breakfest
He ran around a little not much playing to much, but a stressed out steve is not much fun
I seen him scoot on his butt this morning and rember I took a video about a week ago him doing that I am going to look for in awhile.
did not get any new pictures will try later after getting poop food.
I have been very busy the last week or so I may have missed a slow swollen
but dang I play and I am with him every day think I would of seen that. :dono

Steve, Rescue Remedy is easy to find. Health food stores have it, most grocery stores that have a natural foods and drugs section has it, I have even found it at drug stores. Here is a link so you see what it looks like:http://www.rescueremedy.com/ It is meant for humans so you don't need to go to the critter stores to get it.

SquirrelNut
04-29-2010, 08:49 AM
do they have squirrel enemas? lol :shakehead

Squirrely Steve
04-29-2010, 08:49 AM
Steve, have you tried giving him canned pumpkin or squash? That usually gets things moving. Another one is coconut, but may be hard to get in your neck of the woods.

Hi Island Rehabber

No not yet ... going shopping at noon today or maybe earlier. :multi
Chuck loves acron squarsh I have a cooked half in the fridge I forgot about :thinking
we have some coconuts here I will get one :thumbsup

SquirrelNut
04-29-2010, 08:51 AM
i was giving my kitty that just passed away "pumpkin" for severe constipation. it worked wonderful, and he loved it!

Squirrely Steve
04-29-2010, 08:53 AM
Steve, Rescue Remedy is easy to find. Health food stores have it, most grocery stores that have a natural foods and drugs section has it, I have even found it at drug stores. Here is a link so you see what it looks like:http://www.rescueremedy.com/ It is meant for humans so you don't need to go to the critter stores to get it.

Thanks Critter Mom :grouphug

I love pictures, I can find things better :thumbsup

Going there and Checking out :)

Squirrely Steve
04-29-2010, 08:56 AM
i was giving my kitty that just passed away "pumpkin" for severe constipation. it worked wonderful, and he loved it!

Awww... Squirrel Nut :grouphug
so sorry about your Kitty passing away :grouphug

Squirrely Steve
04-29-2010, 08:57 AM
do they have squirrel enemas? lol :shakehead

I have been wonder that :sanp3

4skwerlz
04-29-2010, 09:07 AM
I believe you need to get those poops out ASAP; then no problem, not serious. But the longer the poops remain, the drier and more compacted they will become. Can then require a vet to remove them.

Ask our rehabbers if you could use a baby enema on Chuck.

I can give you a phone number to call if you need to be talked through this. PM me if you want it, okay?

Squirrely Steve
04-29-2010, 09:16 AM
I believe you need to get those poops out ASAP; then no problem, not serious. But the longer the poops remain, the drier and more compacted they will become. Can then require a vet to remove them.

I can give you a phone number to call if you need to be talked through this. PM me if you want it, okay?

Hi 4skwerlz

I will get things wrapped up here at work they will have to do with out me.
Chuck rules over all.
He is like my Kid or Best friend :Love_Icon
I will try the poop food and some oil first but may need some help Thanks :grouphug

CritterMom
04-29-2010, 09:23 AM
OK, so at lunch, if you can, give him some canned pumpkin. If you have time, spritz the bottoms of his feet with the Rescue Remedy. I do the rear feet - they are bigger and have those nice pads, and I am always afraid I will accedently spritz in the eyes when I do the front ones since they have to have their noses in everything. If you get the dropper type, Put a drop on each foot. The give him a few minutes. Mister P loves having his stomach massaged - he will squat over my hand to do it. This may be something you wind up doing by feel more than by tipping him upside down and looking at what you are doing. You need to work those poops out - and adding a drop of oil to help might not be a bad idea.

If Chuck gets all worked up at lunch because he gets to come out and play with you, it may be a better idea to give him his pumpkin at lunch and do the poop business when you get home and have time, and when his energy level is at a little lower ebb. Maybe the pumpkin will have already done the work for you!

In any rate, don't worry about too much RR - you might need to use it a couple times to get him to cooperate and not fight you on this.

You are a poop miner, Steve.

CritterMom
04-29-2010, 09:24 AM

:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup Thanks, 4s

Squirrely Steve
04-29-2010, 09:30 AM
OK, so at lunch, if you can, give him some canned pumpkin. If you have time, spritz the bottoms of his feet with the Rescue Remedy. I do the rear feet - they are bigger and have those nice pads, and I am always afraid I will accedently spritz in the eyes when I do the front ones since they have to have their noses in everything. If you get the dropper type, Put a drop on each foot. The give him a few minutes. Mister P loves having his stomach massaged - he will squat over my hand to do it. This may be something you wind up doing by feel more than by tipping him upside down and looking at what you are doing. You need to work those poops out - and adding a drop of oil to help might not be a bad idea.

If Chuck gets all worked up at lunch because he gets to come out and play with you, it may be a better idea to give him his pumpkin at lunch and do the poop business when you get home and have time, and when his energy level is at a little lower ebb. Maybe the pumpkin will have already done the work for you!

In any rate, don't worry about too much RR - you might need to use it a couple times to get him to cooperate and not fight you on this.

You are a poop miner, Steve.

Hi Critter Mom

A Very Very Good Plan I will follow it just like you say :thumbsup
Thanks so Much :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Poop miner Steve :rotfl

4skwerlz
04-29-2010, 09:49 AM
I spoke with Jackie in Tampa again. She was going to be away from her computer this morning, which is why I was transmitting info from her. She is now back and will help if you need it. She has had this problem several times with her older male squirrel Rocky. No need for me any more. You and Jackie and Crittermom can handle.

Good luck with the poop mining!

Jackie in Tampa
04-29-2010, 09:55 AM

You are a poop miner, Steve.:thumbsup

CritterMom
04-29-2010, 09:57 AM
Steve, lets abandon the enema idea for the time being - that is a last resort. If the canned pumpkin doesn't work, you can add a drop of mineral oil to something he is eating. It is a good laxative and dirt cheap - you can get a bottle for a buck or two tops - look in the laxative aisle at the grocery or drug store. Just a drop.

Squirrely Steve
04-29-2010, 10:03 AM
I spoke with Jackie in Tampa again. She was going to be away from her computer this morning, which is why I was transmitting info from her. She is now back and will help if you need it. She has had this problem several times with her older male squirrel Rocky. No need for me any more. You and Jackie and Crittermom can handle.

Good luck with the poop mining!

Thanks so much 4skwerlz :grouphug

Squirrely Steve
04-29-2010, 10:05 AM
:thumbsup

Hi Jackie :grouphug
at least the other Chuck got better :thumbsup
It would be bad to have two Chucks Checked in at the same time :crazy

4skwerlz
04-29-2010, 10:05 AM
Jackie and Crittermom, I found this online about colonic impaction in cats. Seems like a good article (with drawings too). Just in case it helps. Good luck.

http://www.hillsvet.com/media/USARG/generalContent/Vet/Clinical/ClientMaterials/ClientInfoSeries/Digestive/en/constipationColonicImpaction_en.pdf

Squirrely Steve
04-29-2010, 10:10 AM
Steve, lets abandon the enema idea for the time being - that is a last resort. If the canned pumpkin doesn't work, you can add a drop of mineral oil to something he is eating. It is a good laxative and dirt cheap - you can get a bottle for a buck or two tops - look in the laxative aisle at the grocery or drug store. Just a drop.

Hi Critter Mom

Yep thats a good idea ...last resort:thumbsup
Should I check out fuilds for enema before I call it a day and head home?
its only 10 min from town if I got to come back, walmart is open all night
I will get some mineral oil at noon.
but am probley coming back darn work so busy but we will see how chuck is at noon. :thinking
Thanks so much :grouphug

Squirrely Steve
04-29-2010, 10:11 AM
Jackie and Crittermom, I found this online about colonic impaction in cats. Seems like a good article (with drawings too). Just in case it helps. Good luck.

http://www.hillsvet.com/media/USARG/generalContent/Vet/Clinical/ClientMaterials/ClientInfoSeries/Digestive/en/constipationColonicImpaction_en.pdf

You guys are the best :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

FallensMommie
04-29-2010, 10:19 AM
My friend could massage feces out of her squirrel too but due to the swelling etc. the squirrel was having a hard time going on his own so he was backing up...he would go a little on his own but not a lot. The Dr. on the first visit before the surgery noted that the sebaceous adenomas were swollen and were filled with caseous [cheese-like] sebum....as PBJ noted.

Squirrely Steve
04-29-2010, 10:47 AM
My friend could massage feces out of her squirrel too but due to the swelling etc. the squirrel was having a hard time going on his own so he was backing up...he would go a little on his own but not a lot. The Dr. on the first visit before the surgery noted that the sebaceous adenomas were swollen and were filled with caseous [cheese-like] sebum....as PBJ noted.

Hi Fallens Mommie

Dang he is swollen pretty good hopefully it will go down when the poop comes out. If it doesnt after the poop comes out then his sebaceous adenomas are the problem ? :sanp3
Praying Not :grouphug

Squirrely Steve
04-29-2010, 10:55 AM
One more thing that is going threw the house dont know if it will have a effect or a problem to Chuck.
I like to give you guys as much information as I can think of :thinking
I think we have a UT or a bladder invefection or something going threw the house .Sheri has something for a couple of days and sick in bed today too.
I have been having some syntomes but I thought it was from the morel mushrooms ?
Can chuck catch different things from us and show up in gland area's :thinking

Jackie in Tampa
04-29-2010, 11:06 AM
take a typical dried poop and drop it in a puddle of water...
it becomes slippery again!:thumbsup
Earlier I mentioned mineral oil to leigh...dab some on his hiney too...
and if needed dab some warm water, with your finger on his bumm and get the impacts wet and slippery again..
poor chuck has the bad butt blues!:shakehead

I totally agree about the pumpkin...and the mineral oil and gentle attempt to remove with a mineral oil doused q-tip, but go slow and easy...
I am so lucky, my Rockster is so trusting and will let me do anything...he is an older guy and I just associated this issue with something he ate.!?!
It has happened a few times over the years and all was ok in the end, yet he was uncomfortable. And like you, I worry. His happiness is my motivation everyday!:Love_Icon
WEaken some apple juice for him to lap up today and remember hydration is key always!
Hope this is the problem and you can help.:tilt

CritterMom
04-29-2010, 11:16 AM
One more thing that is going threw the house dont know if it will have a effect or a problem to Chuck.
I like to give you guys as much information as I can think of :thinking
I think we have a UT or a bladder invefection or something going threw the house .Sheri has something for a couple of days and sick in bed today too.
I have been having some syntomes but I thought it was from the morel mushrooms ?
Can chuck catch different things from us and show up in gland area's :thinking

There aren't TOO many things that will jump from human to animals, but it is good information to have.

The sebaceous adenomas...well, first you need to relieve Chuck of the poop he's got backed up, and get him pooping regular with the pumpkin/coconut, extra water, mineral oil, etc. Once he is "moving the groceries" again, then you will have to observe and see if the swelling starts to go down. I am hoping with all I have that he is swollen from pushing and from butt dragging because of the backed up poop, and once it is gone and he isn't having to force, that the swelling will subside.

luvs squirrels
04-29-2010, 11:23 AM
Sorry to hear Chuck is having problem. Praying he'll be back to normal soon.

:grouphug

Squirrely Steve
04-29-2010, 03:30 PM
Hello we made it back.:thumbsup
It took three stores to find the right poop food and supplies :shakehead
But we got most of the stuff could not find the coconut.
Chuck is pretty swollen I put the minerial oil on him and some in his food.
He would not even try the can pumpkin.
he did some running around and I put the the R & R on his feet twice.
I tried the R & R works pretty good but kind of made my ears itch. :rotfl
It did quite him down a little.
I tried to work gentey on his belly and poop area he let me some, but no poop.
the opening looks open.
dang he is swollen I will try to get some pictures in awhile .
I cleaned out his cage and put the new poop food in and put some more oil on chuck and put him in his cage to let some of the oil work and to give him and me a break. I am to worried to go back to work so I am staying here with Chuck. :grouphug
I am kind of out of it my kid is sick :shakehead
Going to have some lunch and be back :wave123

Squirrely Steve
04-29-2010, 03:32 PM
and one picture does this stuff look ok ?

Squirrely Steve
04-29-2010, 03:34 PM
Sorry to hear Chuck is having problem. Praying he'll be back to normal soon.

:grouphug

Thanks Jera :grouphug
I will be praying for your mom too.:grouphug

SquirrelNut
04-29-2010, 03:36 PM
awww, steve you are SUCH a wonderful squirrel papa!:Love_Icon

Squirrely Steve
04-29-2010, 03:37 PM
There aren't TOO many things that will jump from human to animals, but it is good information to have.

The sebaceous adenomas...well, first you need to relieve Chuck of the poop he's got backed up, and get him pooping regular with the pumpkin/coconut, extra water, mineral oil, etc. Once he is "moving the groceries" again, then you will have to observe and see if the swelling starts to go down. I am hoping with all I have that he is swollen from pushing and from butt dragging because of the backed up poop, and once it is gone and he isn't having to force, that the swelling will subside.

Hi Critter Mom
Good news and plan Thanks :grouphug

Squirrely Steve
04-29-2010, 03:39 PM
awww, steve you are SUCH a wonderful squirrel papa!:Love_Icon

Thanks Squirrel Nut your a wonderful Squirrel Mom :grouphug

Nancy in New York
04-29-2010, 03:41 PM
Please try to get a clearer picture of the anal area. I know it's difficult but maybe with the RR Chuck will cooperate more...:) Maybe if you don't zoom in so much...I would just like to see clear. Do you normally see any poop around when Chuck is out of the cage? I know I do with my little guy and I know that if I didn't see it I would know immediately.:rotfl

Squirrely Steve
04-29-2010, 03:59 PM
Please try to get a clearer picture of the anal area. I know it's difficult but maybe with the RR Chuck will cooperate more...:) Maybe if you don't zoom in so much...I would just like to see clear. Do you normally see any poop around when Chuck is out of the cage? I know I do with my little guy and I know that if I didn't see it I would know immediately.:rotfl

Hi Nancy

I will ,I will shoot a bunch and I will get sheri help.
I am going to let him sack out for a little bit and rest and I will get him up and Try again. He took 1-1/2 sringes a the Pediatric Electolyte.
Yes he leave his mark all over gets me in trouble.:rotfl
I will do some watching here in about one hour. :thumbsup

Nancy in New York
04-29-2010, 04:06 PM
Hi Nancy

I will ,I will shoot a bunch and I will get sheri help.
I am going to let him sack out for a little bit and rest and I will get him up and Try again. He took 1-1/2 sringes a the Pediatric Electolyte.
Yes he leave his mark all over gets me in trouble.:rotfl
I will do some watching here in about one hour. :thumbsup

Yes...just be really aware of it when he comes out see if you see anything. I have very light floors so it is really easy to see on mine...:rotfl

CritterMom
04-29-2010, 04:12 PM
Steve if you can't get him to eat the pumpkin (I wonder if you chopped up some pecan and mixed it into the pumpkin if he would try it) then put a drop of mineral oil on something he WILL eat.

stosh2010
04-29-2010, 04:15 PM
I have no technical advice for you....
But...I want you to know that DOZENS of Squirrel families are PRAYING and HOPING for Chuck to return to normal....
YOU ARE LOVED----from all over the GLOBE

Stosh & RamaMama & Rama Rota

Pointy Tale
04-29-2010, 06:18 PM
Squirrely Steve and Chuck—
My prayers are with you and Chuck, so sorry didn’t see this sooner.

If PBluejay2 is right, then based on personal human hands—on experience with Sebaceous glands, warm soaks with wash cloth would help to ease the discomfort and help it to drain, but if it drains and there is an opening then it is better to heal from the inside out not the outside in…otherwise it would fill up again. Or was he referring to an impacted anal glad that dogs get in which case they push the yukkies out and give AB’s. and Hi PBJ—thanks for being there for Chuck!

CritterMom—yes sebaceous glands can be expressed. Best way is first with warm soaks and then the “Cottage cheese” like material starts to come out.
----

If you need anything, let me know, otherwise.

Prayers and hugs to you all.

CritterMom
04-29-2010, 06:39 PM
Steve if you can't get him to eat the pumpkin (I wonder if you chopped up some pecan and mixed it into the pumpkin if he would try it) then put a drop of mineral oil on something he WILL eat.

Steve, I have refined my information on this. Give Chuck .1cc of mineral oil. One time only - one dose. If he will eat pecans with it on there, great, if not, squirt it down his little throat with a syringe.

Also, if you finely chop some pecans and mix them into the canned pumpkin with a little molasses or Karo or maple syrup even to sweeten it a little Chuck might change his mind about it. If he doesn't I will - it sounds tasty.

I am getting you a good description of how to go about actually seperating Chuck from the poop. Bear with me, okay?

CritterMom
04-29-2010, 07:30 PM
OK, you might not want to read this one at the dinner table.

Hopefully, you have given Chuck .1cc of mineral oil by mouth. Keep it on hand - you need it for the other end.

I would give Chuck a couple spritzes of RR, let him do his thing for a bit, then a couple more, another few minutes, and then start. I also think you should use some yourself!

Do you still have the heating pad from when he was sick before? Get it warmed up and toss a t-shirt or something over it. I would try doing this where he is comfortable anyway - the sofa, your lap, whatever. Heat the pad up and lay it where you are going to work and let him sit on it. then start reaching under him and rubbing his tummy. Do that for a while, stroking down toward his anus and slowly work your way down there. You can use your finger to apply some mineral oil to his anus and use enough so you can try to work it into his anus. You are trying to lube the way, so you have to use enough to do that.

Once you get some oil worked in there well, give him a little break for some lovin and maybe another shot of RR.

The best description I can give is milking a cow (or squeezing a zit!!) You run your fingers down the udder of the cow to the teat, then apply a little pressure at the point where the teat meets the udder and push the milk down and out. This is the same idea - gentler, but the same idea. I would do it by feel so he can remain upright and sitting on his belly rather than on his back. Roll your fingers a little - you want to get them under the poop ball and push it out from below. The mineral oil should help. If you don't succeed right away, let him pancake on your heating pad for a bit and try again. Keep using the RR to keep him calm, and use enough mineral oil on his anus to lubricate this.

CritterMom
04-29-2010, 07:41 PM
Steve, I have refined my information on this. Give Chuck 1cc of mineral oil. One time only - one dose. If he will eat pecans with it on there, great, if not, squirt it down his little throat with a syringe.

Also, if you finely chop some pecans and mix them into the canned pumpkin with a little molasses or Karo or maple syrup even to sweeten it a little Chuck might change his mind about it. If he doesn't I will - it sounds tasty.

I am getting you a good description of how to go about actually seperating Chuck from the poop. Bear with me, okay?

CRAP!!!!!

.1 cc. Not an entire 1cc syringe. Oh God..

.1cc. It is a few drops of oil

CritterMom
04-29-2010, 07:50 PM
It is in another post a couple up from that one, too. Thank you IR. Do you have anything for the terror-induced projectile vomiting I just gave myself??

Good Gawd. Is there a complete freaking idiot smiley?

stosh2010
04-29-2010, 08:33 PM
Steve....

Haven't heard any NEWS or updates on Chuck since 3 PM today ?????

Hoping for a POOP Report....

mpetys
04-29-2010, 08:41 PM
I have been following Chuck's ordeal and just wanted to let you know that MonkeyButt and I are sending our best wishes for you and Chuck. Wow! What an amazing community. I am just an observer of this ordeal but nevertheless, I am grateful to all who are helping Steve and Chuck.

Michele in Tampa

Squirrely Steve
04-29-2010, 09:35 PM
Hi Squirrel Friends :grouphug

Sorry we just made it back :sanp3
I had my hands full with Chuck
well the last part of the day.
I put chuck in his cage just after 4:00 this afternoon I let him sleep his afternoon nap till 6:00 . I did some needed quick farm chores and kept checking on chuck. he slept good. When he got up at 6:00 he had lots of energy.
did lots of running and a little playing ate a chirstmas light set plugged in live,chewed on cupboards ect.. I can tell he doesnt feel good. I gave him about 3 sringes of water and some more oil I put some in his water and on his food. and some R & R .he ate some of the poop stuff but not much ,I took many pictures and got a hand full good ones.
I should of got on but I just trailed after chuck all after noon trying the light rubs and trying to get poop out. Dang No Poop. But I think the swelling is going down.
He just Crashed in his box by me in the kitchen at 9:00. I am going threw all everyones posts thank you so much sorry we didnt get on thought I better stay on top of chuck as much as can. I am going to get him up here in about a 1/2 hour and give some more oil and rub down and any other thing anybody suggests or posts Thanks all so much for all the help and ideas :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Here is some pictures hope these help

stosh2010
04-29-2010, 10:00 PM
Hi Steve & CHUCK,
The new photos are very clear, I hope they assist the rehabbers with their diagnosis of Chuck's problem.
Glad he is following his routine and taking his nap.
Again, wishing Chuck a speedy recovery and HAPPY, HEALTHY days.

Squirrely Steve
04-29-2010, 10:25 PM
Hi Steve & CHUCK,
The new photos are very clear, I hope they assist the rehabbers with their diagnosis of Chuck's problem.
Glad he is following his routine and taking his nap.
Again, wishing Chuck a speedy recovery and HAPPY, HEALTHY days.

Hi Stosh & RamaMama & Rama Rota

Thanks yes I hope the pictures help :thumbsup
I think his swelling is going down
I wish I could see more Poop.
Thanks so much for the well wishes :grouphug

Squirrely Steve
04-29-2010, 10:29 PM
I have been following Chuck's ordeal and just wanted to let you know that MonkeyButt and I are sending our best wishes for you and Chuck. Wow! What an amazing community. I am just an observer of this ordeal but nevertheless, I am grateful to all who are helping Steve and Chuck.

Michele in Tampa

Hi Michele in Tampa and Monkey Butt
I love this place TSB we are getting such great help :grouphug

Squirrely Steve
04-29-2010, 10:33 PM
OK, you might not want to read this one at the dinner table.

Hopefully, you have given Chuck .1cc of mineral oil by mouth. Keep it on hand - you need it for the other end.

I would give Chuck a couple spritzes of RR, let him do his thing for a bit, then a couple more, another few minutes, and then start. I also think you should use some yourself!

Do you still have the heating pad from when he was sick before? Get it warmed up and toss a t-shirt or something over it. I would try doing this where he is comfortable anyway - the sofa, your lap, whatever. Heat the pad up and lay it where you are going to work and let him sit on it. then start reaching under him and rubbing his tummy. Do that for a while, stroking down toward his anus and slowly work your way down there. You can use your finger to apply some mineral oil to his anus and use enough so you can try to work it into his anus. You are trying to lube the way, so you have to use enough to do that.

Once you get some oil worked in there well, give him a little break for some lovin and maybe another shot of RR.

The best description I can give is milking a cow (or squeezing a zit!!) You run your fingers down the udder of the cow to the teat, then apply a little pressure at the point where the teat meets the udder and push the milk down and out. This is the same idea - gentler, but the same idea. I would do it by feel so he can remain upright and sitting on his belly rather than on his back. Roll your fingers a little - you want to get them under the poop ball and push it out from below. The mineral oil should help. If you don't succeed right away, let him pancake on your heating pad for a bit and try again. Keep using the RR to keep him calm, and use enough mineral oil on his anus to lubricate this.

Hi CritterMom :grouphug
Dang I missed this taking care of Chuck or chasing the Chuck this afternoon I am printing this out and following such great information :grouphug :bowdown
Thank you so Much :grouphug

VigilanteBruce
04-29-2010, 10:37 PM
Bruce says "C'mon Chucky Poop just Poop You can do it". :eek:

Squirrely Steve
04-29-2010, 10:45 PM
Hi Squirrel Friends

I tried to get Chuck up he pokes his head out but wont come out I think he smells the oil .I offered water but dont want any. Dang guess we hope and pray for Poop in AM :dono

Dang the house sinks bad a skunk just sprayed outside and of course all the windows are open dogs keep barking glad there inside maybe why Chuck is hiding? :thinking

Squirrely Steve
04-29-2010, 10:48 PM
Bruce says "C'mon Chucky Poop just Poop You can do it". :eek:

Hi Bruce
Thanks I like that
"C'mon Chucky Poop just Poop You can do it". :eek:

Squirrely Steve
04-29-2010, 10:54 PM
Squirrely Steve and Chuck—
My prayers are with you and Chuck, so sorry didn’t see this sooner.

If PBluejay2 is right, then based on personal human hands—on experience with Sebaceous glands, warm soaks with wash cloth would help to ease the discomfort and help it to drain, but if it drains and there is an opening then it is better to heal from the inside out not the outside in…otherwise it would fill up again. Or was he referring to an impacted anal glad that dogs get in which case they push the yukkies out and give AB’s. and Hi PBJ—thanks for being there for Chuck!

CritterMom—yes sebaceous glands can be expressed. Best way is first with warm soaks and then the “Cottage cheese” like material starts to come out.
----

If you need anything, let me know, otherwise.

Prayers and hugs to you all.

Hi Pointy Tale
Very good information thank you so much :grouphug
I am praying its a poop problem but got to be ready if its not.
dang still very scared of losing Chuck

Squirrely Steve
04-29-2010, 11:20 PM
Hi Squirrel Friends

Does his swelling look ok ?
Pictures ok. ?
Dang sorry for getting on late :sanp3
I think chuck is down for the night tried again he wont get up just pokes hes head out :sanp3
Will work on him in the AM

CritterMom
04-30-2010, 04:15 AM
Steve, have you given him the .1 cc mineral oil by mouth yet? Please do this if you haven't. It is a laxative and should help. He hasn't pooped on his own at all?

SquirrelNut
04-30-2010, 04:56 AM
I hope Chuck wakes up already to RELEASE lots of poops!!!!! Poor guy must be so very uncomfortable!!!

You are receiving such great advice from so many members on the SB!!!

Just sending loving thoughts from Nos and I!:Love_Icon

CritterMom
04-30-2010, 06:47 AM
Steve, a couple things. Chuck only needs to take the .1cc of mineral oil orally one time.

You want to try to get some of the same mineral oil up INSIDE him in the same place you can feel the poop. How you get it into the opening...and it only would need to just break the opening a little I think - I dunno...syringe? Maybe if you massage enough with your finger you can just work it up there??:dono Chuck requests you use a different syringe than the one for his water.:D

You need to push, push, push fluids on him. Mix up some sweetened water - use a little molasses, maple syrup, Karo syrup - even sugar - to get it slightly sweet. Give him as much as you can by syringe in the morning and at lunch and when you get home. Keep the mix in the fridge, but warm it to formula temp to feed to him. ALSO: Put the same mixture in his water bottle and make sure he knows it is in there - hold him up and let it dribble into his mouth. MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE YOU WASH THE BOTTLE AND CHANGE THE MIX AT LUNCH. It should be okay for a few hours in the AM and then the new stuff for a few in the PM, bacteria wise. He needs hydration, hydration, hydration.

If you can dress up the pumpkin so that he likes it with some nuts and a little sweet stuff (heat that, too, Steve - they really like warmed food) give him some of that. Otherwise, veggies, his blocks - what he normally eats. Hold on the avocado for now - I guess it can be a little binding. :dono

Um, I have also been advised that sometimes stroking his, um, pee pee will stimulate them to poo. I'll leave you two alone for that.

4skwerlz
04-30-2010, 06:57 AM
Hey guys,
My understanding from reading some veterinary books online, is that once the poop builds up to this extent, the colon becomes so distended that it cannot function....cannot contract and push the poop out. This is called "megacolon." In other words, Chuck may not be able to poop this mass out himself. The vet books say that if a laxative doesn't work right away, manual extraction is the only option.

I also want to emphasize that at this point, this is a serious condition. I don't want to scare you but that poop has to come out now.

Of course, all of this is dependent on this being fecal compaction, as Steve said he could feel them, and not some other kind of condition.

Hope you don't mind me passing along this info.

CritterMom
04-30-2010, 07:30 AM
Yes, I agree. That is why I want to make sure he has some mineral oil INSIDE so it can moisten the impaction and hopefully help with the removal. I don't think it would take too long - 15 minutes - half an hour? Especially if Steve can "work" the area manually a bit. But yes, if he hasn't pooped by this morning, Steve needs to do whatever necessary, including cocooning Chuck in a big wad of fleece to restrain him, to get it out. After dosing him with the RR.

4skwerlz
04-30-2010, 07:33 AM
Yes, I agree. That is why I want to make sure he has some mineral oil INSIDE so it can moisten the impaction and hopefully help with the removal. I don't think it would take too long - 15 minutes - half an hour? Especially if Steve can "work" the area manually a bit. But yes, if he hasn't pooped by this morning, Steve needs to do whatever necessary, including cocooning Chuck in a big wad of fleece to restrain him, to get it out.

Yes. The colon can become permanently damaged by being distended so long. The only problem with enemas is that it will cause the poop to expand even more. Also, a violent laxative could put more stress on the colon, which is already stretched past capacity.

Manual extraction. Any vet available????

Squirrely Steve
04-30-2010, 08:10 AM
Steve, have you given him the .1 cc mineral oil by mouth yet? Please do this if you haven't. It is a laxative and should help. He hasn't pooped on his own at all?

Hi Critter Mom

yes gave it to him last night I was worried so I got him back up and gave him some.:thumbsup

A long night chuck went back to bed but I smelled wood burning somewhere in the house and we didnt have any fires so had to look everywhere and didnt find anything chuck chew a wire set last night was worried he did more damage. a shunk sprayed and made the dogs bark all night and had to do lots of chores this morning and state taxes before chuck got up.
He got up at 5:30 am he looks good.. did two poops when I worked on him.
he is still swollen but pooping :wott
I did a poop dance. :multi
I made him so more poop type food but no more oil and he played some I seen him drag his butt once. I put him in his cage and came to work.

I am behind here at work some going to catch up and try to stay up with you guys :sanp3
so sorry for falling behind very hard to get on the comp. sometimes at home
I dont know how you guys do it ? . when chuck is up he eats my keyboard and gets into things causing trouble so I will play with him.

Thanks so Much for helping us :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Squirrely Steve
04-30-2010, 08:14 AM
I hope Chuck wakes up already to RELEASE lots of poops!!!!! Poor guy must be so very uncomfortable!!!

You are receiving such great advice from so many members on the SB!!!

Just sending loving thoughts from Nos and I!:Love_Icon

Hi Squirrel Nut and Nos

Thanks he is starting to go. :thumbsup
I seen two poops come out this morning yaaa !!!
Yes getting the best Advice ever :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

4skwerlz
04-30-2010, 08:17 AM
Praying for more poops!

Ooops! That sounds weird.

Momma Squirrel
04-30-2010, 08:21 AM
OH that is such great news, :thumbsup I sure hope things clear up quickly for Chuck. You are doing great Steve :bowdown I know it is very hard to see your baby not feeling well but you are hanging in there and getting great guidance :grouphug

virgo062
04-30-2010, 08:21 AM
Here's a thought...I made the mistake ONCE of giving knothead raisen bran flakes. He pooped and pooped then he pooped some more

Squirrely Steve
04-30-2010, 08:30 AM
Steve, a couple things. Chuck only needs to take the .1cc of mineral oil orally one time.

You want to try to get some of the same mineral oil up INSIDE him in the same place you can feel the poop. How you get it into the opening...and it only would need to just break the opening a little I think - I dunno...syringe? Maybe if you massage enough with your finger you can just work it up there??:dono Chuck requests you use a different syringe than the one for his water.:D

You need to push, push, push fluids on him. Mix up some sweetened water - use a little molasses, maple syrup, Karo syrup - even sugar - to get it slightly sweet. Give him as much as you can by syringe in the morning and at lunch and when you get home. Keep the mix in the fridge, but warm it to formula temp to feed to him. ALSO: Put the same mixture in his water bottle and make sure he knows it is in there - hold him up and let it dribble into his mouth. MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE YOU WASH THE BOTTLE AND CHANGE THE MIX AT LUNCH. It should be okay for a few hours in the AM and then the new stuff for a few in the PM, bacteria wise. He needs hydration, hydration, hydration.

If you can dress up the pumpkin so that he likes it with some nuts and a little sweet stuff (heat that, too, Steve - they really like warmed food) give him some of that. Otherwise, veggies, his blocks - what he normally eats. Hold on the avocado for now - I guess it can be a little binding. :dono

Um, I have also been advised that sometimes stroking his, um, pee pee will stimulate them to poo. I'll leave you two alone for that.

Hi Critter Mom

I didnt give him any more will wait till you tell me more.
He is drinking good.
I gave him some sringes of water last night and he loves to drink out of them like a baby, and I changed his water this morning with no supplements .I will mix up some sugar type water with some honey or maple syrup.
and I will change his bottle at noon and wash it good I will do a good cage cleaning tonight.
I will make him a pumpkin nut mix at noon and hold the avocado.
I gave him a good bunch of wild green this morning too.
I am making a list for noon time.
I'll rember the pee stroking if he gets not pooping again :sanp3
I hope and pray his swelling goes down so worried his glands are the problem , we will keep him pooping and pray and hope probley takes some time with all the action. worried he is scooting on it :sanp3
Dang still kind of out of it today.. so much going on I am trying
Head a Spinning :shakehead
Thanks so Much Critter Mom :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

CritterMom
04-30-2010, 08:34 AM
OK, that is great! He needs high fiber foods and LOTS OF WATER for at least the next few days. Please try my sugar water idea, okay? Another alternative would be water with juice other than citrus in it. If it tastes good, he will drink more on his own, but you need to keep pushing the fluids on him big time. The pumpkin is high fiber AND moist so that is why it is so good, but most veggies have fiber... I just think he might like it sweetened with nuts and heated...

Cherry juice is wonderful. If you have a health food place, or if the local grocery has a natural foods section, buy a bottle. It is very rich, so cut it lots with water, and don't use it exclusively = a bit at a time, but I bet he will love it (you too) and it will really get the baggage moving.

Squirrely Steve
04-30-2010, 08:38 AM
Praying for more poops!

Ooops! That sounds weird.

Good Morning 4skwerlz
Thanks I think I got him going :thumbsup
Thanks so much for all the great advice and helping
:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Squirrely Steve
04-30-2010, 08:45 AM
OK, that is great! He needs high fiber foods and LOTS OF WATER for at least the next few days. Please try my sugar water idea, okay? Another alternative would be water with juice other than citrus in it. If it tastes good, he will drink more on his own, but you need to keep pushing the fluids on him big time. The pumpkin is high fiber AND moist so that is why it is so good, but most veggies have fiber... I just think he might like it sweetened with nuts and heated...

Cherry juice is wonderful. If you have a health food place, or if the local grocery has a natural foods section, buy a bottle. It is very rich, so cut it lots with water, and don't use it exclusively = a bit at a time, but I bet he will love it (you too) and it will really get the baggage moving.

Good Morning Critter Mom

I will lots of fiber food :thumbsup
and I will do the sugar water and get some cherry juice later tonight I will make him some nut mix with the pumpkin at noon Dang he wont even taste the pumpkin I got him a good organic $ 3.50 a can stuff maybe with nuts and some sweeter added.
Do you guys want to see any poop pictures ?
it looks normal.
Hold off on oils ? right ?
Swelling takes a couple days to go down ?
Thanks so much Critter Mom :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Squirrely Steve
04-30-2010, 08:50 AM
OH that is such great news, :thumbsup I sure hope things clear up quickly for Chuck. You are doing great Steve :bowdown I know it is very hard to see your baby not feeling well but you are hanging in there and getting great guidance :grouphug

Good Morning Momma Squirrel

Yes Thanks :grouphug
Thanks I am trying to stay up with posting :)
Yes very hard to see my baby not feeling well :sanp3
Yes getting the best in the world guidance :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Squirrely Steve
04-30-2010, 08:52 AM
Here's a thought...I made the mistake ONCE of giving knothead raisen bran flakes. He pooped and pooped then he pooped some more

Hi virgo062

I will Check out :thumbsup

CritterMom
04-30-2010, 08:55 AM
Good Morning Critter Mom

I will lots of fiber food :thumbsup
and I will do the sugar water and get some cherry juice later tonight I will make him some nut mix with the pumpkin at noon Dang he wont even taste the pumpkin I got him a good organic $ 3.50 a can stuff maybe with nuts and some sweeter added.
Do you guys want to see any poop pictures ?
it looks normal.
Hold off on oils ? right ?
Swelling takes a couple days to go down ?
Thanks so much Critter Mom :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

No more oil ORALLY. Let's see what happens with the high fiber and fluids. If you can massage a little of the oil into his anal area it might help lube things, but if he is pooping normally, then yes, keep an eye and watch that the swelling goes down. YAY POOP!

Squirrely Steve
04-30-2010, 09:05 AM
No more oil ORALLY. Let's see what happens with the high fiber and fluids. If you can massage a little of the oil into his anal area it might help lube things, but if he is pooping normally, then yes, keep an eye and watch that the swelling goes down. YAY POOP!

I will do a little massage with oil at noon around his anal area :thumbsup
I will watch the swelling I hope and pray it goes down :grouphug
Thanks so much for all the help and being here for us :grouphug

Yes Poop :wahoo :wott

CritterMom
04-30-2010, 11:08 AM
Yeah, it will take a while for the swelling to go down - and the oil he took orally also takes a little time to work - he just got it last night, remember. I think that with him pooping now and with the high fiber food/pushing fluids/and rubbing a little oil **down there** to grease things up a bit, you don't need to try to manually remove anything now. Just watch and make sure the boy keeps pooping.

VigilanteBruce
04-30-2010, 11:25 AM
poop, poop, poop yea Chucky poop is good!:multi

Squirrely Steve
04-30-2010, 11:43 AM
Yeah, it will take a while for the swelling to go down - and the oil he took orally also takes a little time to work - he just got it last night, remember. I think that with him pooping now and with the high fiber food/pushing fluids/and rubbing a little oil **down there** to grease things up a bit, you don't need to try to manually remove anything now. Just watch and make sure the boy keeps pooping.

Hi Critter Mom

Checking in before I head home for lunch and work/play with Chuck.
Trying to do a better job today staying in touch :thumbsup
Sounds like a great plan.. will follow thanks so much. :grouphug
I will do a update soon as I get back from lunch :multi

Squirrely Steve
04-30-2010, 11:45 AM
poop, poop, poop yea Chucky poop is good!:multi

Hi Bruce
Its Working Yaaa!!! :thumbsup
Poop Poop Chucky poop :multi

stosh2010
04-30-2010, 12:22 PM
Poop News .....IS ..... Good News :poop :poop :poop :poop :poop
:wave :wave :wave

Chuck....keep up the good "MOVEMENT"

Stosh & Rama Rota

SquirrelNut
04-30-2010, 12:46 PM
Chuck needs to keep pooping LOTS more but at least it is a START!:wahoo

Squirrely Steve
04-30-2010, 01:29 PM
Poop News .....IS ..... Good News :poop :poop :poop :poop :poop
:wave :wave :wave

Chuck....keep up the good "MOVEMENT"

Stosh & Rama Rota

Hi Stosh and Rama Rota

I love the poop Line up Thanks :thankyou
Chuck needs it ..whet home for lunch and let him out of cage No Poops while we were there he is still a swollen and didnt eat anything looks like.
Sheri said she almost called me he stayed in his nest all morning and only just poked his head out.
Come on Chuck Poop ... Poop..:multi
Thanks Stosh and Rama :grouphug

Squirrely Steve
04-30-2010, 01:34 PM
Chuck needs to keep pooping LOTS more but at least it is a START!:wahoo

Hi Squirrel Nut

Yes lots more, dang I am getting worried again or more worried :shakehead
But he did some this morning :tilt

Squirrely Steve
04-30-2010, 01:51 PM
Hi Friends

Chuck didnt look very good at lunch time.
He didnt eat anything this morning usually its mostly all gone by noon and I
usually give him some Lunch.
I washed out his water bottle good.and mixed up some honey and a tiny pinch of brown sugar and put back in cage.
He was out for a 1/2 hour a did about 5min's of hugging and a little running.
I put some oil on his butt and did a little butt rub but no poop.
He is getting mad at me about the oil he doesnt like it at all.
I mixed some ground almonds and a little brown sugar with his pumpkin and squarsh and gave him a walnut to get him in his cage he was cracking it when I left.
He is still swollen looking.
in the pictures from last night can you guys tell that he is swollen ?
This isint normal right ?
suppose to be flat there or just a little bump. ?
Dang we are getting tornato warnings here looks bad all black hope power stays on . dang there goes the sirens :sanp3
Be Back Thanks :grouphug

CritterMom
04-30-2010, 02:48 PM
Good grief. I hope you guys are okay! Please post and let us know. I am looking into Chuck. Hang in there.

Nancy in New York
04-30-2010, 02:53 PM
OMG Steve I hope that you are alright...sending prayers for you and the family....:grouphug

Squirrely Steve
04-30-2010, 02:55 PM
Hi Friends

We got power back and still here. :sanp3
Bad Storm I dont think there was a tornato in it.
Dang while the storm was going on I looked out and two of my guys were loading a steel truck with 20 foot angle bars lightening going all around :sanp3
I yelled at them to get there butts in before they get fried :nono

Back to Chuck....
Should I go back to the heating pad and oil massages tonight ?
Going shopping before heading home any ideas to put on Chucks list ?
I got - Cherry juice
-Coconut
on the list so far

Squirrely Steve
04-30-2010, 02:57 PM
Thanks Nancy and Critter Mom :grouphug

Nancy in New York
04-30-2010, 03:01 PM
Thanks Nancy and Critter Mom :grouphug

Gees...I'm sure praying for you and that little boy of yours. We need to get him going...have you noticed any poops in his cage or on the floor? You have some crazy workers there with those beams....Glad there wasn't a tornado...:grouphug

CritterMom
04-30-2010, 03:08 PM
Steve, stop rubbing his bottom - I don't think it is doing much and it is making him mad!

Watermelon has lots of moisture plus lots of fiber and most squirresl love it. Skip apples and banana - they can be binding. The cherry juice should help. This may take a little time.

If he is still not pooping much tonight you can give him another .1cc of mineral oil, but lets see what the day and the cherry juice bring first.

Squirrely Steve
04-30-2010, 03:29 PM
Gees...I'm sure praying for you and that little boy of yours. We need to get him going...have you noticed any poops in his cage or on the floor? You have some crazy workers there with those beams....Glad there wasn't a tornado...:grouphug

Hi Nancy

I almost ran out there but I knew better and my black cloud is at full stormness :shakehead
seems like everything is wrong or going bad hard to focus with a kid in the hospital :sanp3
Yes glad no tornado the skys are still black but it stopped raining and is all quite no wind dang that dont sound good either cant wait to be home hugging Chuck :grouphug

Squirrely Steve
04-30-2010, 03:50 PM
Steve, stop rubbing his bottom - I don't think it is doing much and it is making him mad!

Watermelon has lots of moisture plus lots of fiber and most squirresl love it. Skip apples and banana - they can be binding. The cherry juice should help. This may take a little time.

If he is still not pooping much tonight you can give him another .1cc of mineral oil, but lets see what the day and the cherry juice bring first.

Hi Critter Mom

Yes he is getting that evil eye bite look :sanp3
I think I ruined my sringe water way giving by putting oil in it he would not touch nothing out of that any more. :shakehead
No more apples and bananas :thumbsup
I will add water melon to his list sounds good I will have to have some :thumbsup
If he is not pooping much tonight I am going to call you and put Chuck on the phone .....dang he better poop :jump
Praying the Cherry Juice works or some of the poop food I gave him at lunch time :grouphug

stosh2010
04-30-2010, 03:58 PM
We are praying to St. Bonaventure for Little Chuck.

__________________________________________________ __________________

Saint Bonaventure of Bagnoregio

Also known as

Seraphic Doctor of the Church
the Devout Doctor

Healed from a childhood disease through the prayers of Saint Francis of Assisi.

Patron Saint of cures for intestinal problems

__________________________________________________ ______________

Hoping for a resolution to Chuck's Distress....

Stosh & Ramamama & Rama Rota

Squirrely Steve
04-30-2010, 04:04 PM
We are praying to St. Bonaventure for Little Chuck.

__________________________________________________ __________________

Saint Bonaventure of Bagnoregio

Also known as

Seraphic Doctor of the Church
the Devout Doctor

Healed from a childhood disease through the prayers of Saint Francis of Assisi.

Patron Saint of cures for intestinal problems

__________________________________________________ ______________

Hoping for a resolution to Chuck's Distress....

Stosh & Ramamama & Rama Rota

Hi Stosh & Rama mama & Rama Rota

Thank you so much guys :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Squirrely Steve
04-30-2010, 04:28 PM
Hi Friends

Getting ready to go shopping I got Chuck a list. :thumbsup
Thanks for the ideas :grouphug
When I get home every day I usually let Chuck run till morning he sleeps in his box above the cupboards and he is in his cage during the day and he gets a 1/2 run at lunch time. :wahoo
This is good for him to run and make him poop ? right ?
I will be back later tonight with up dates or if things dont look alright and I think Chuck needs any help Ill be right back :)
Thanks so much for all the help and advise and just being here for me and Chuck :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug
There is no way I could of done this myself I would of been digging dirt by now.:shakehead
Off to the store we go :wahoo

CritterMom
04-30-2010, 05:16 PM
You better post with updates either way!!:poke :poke :poke

TinyPaws
04-30-2010, 05:57 PM
I just read what's going on..I haven't been on too much lately...

Come on Chuck, POOP!!! I am praying for him...

Have you tried a warm bath on his bottom? Don't know if it's recommended, but thought I'd bring it up....:grouphug

Squirrely Steve
04-30-2010, 09:57 PM
You better post with updates either way!!:poke :poke :poke

Hi Critter Mom

Wow we have had some bad storms here lots of rain and wind. :sanp3
I didnt get home till 7:00 pm did a bunch of grocery shopping.
We were out of everything.
I got chuck his water mellon and a coconut and the black cherry and some strawberrys and a few more treats.:thumbsup
He loved the strawberrys he ate two ...hope they were ok ?
He doesnt like the cherry juice I will put some sugar or honey in it.
but he ate some watermelon. :thumbsup
He is still pretty swollen I huged him for 5 min's then he zoomed off he has been running and eatting good. Still dont see any poop after him. but the night went so quick getting home late putting stuff away.
and he was very active running around jumping chaseing cats chucky self :rotfl
He is still up eating in his dog bone box in the kicthen.
Cant belive he is letting me type :)
should I give him some more oil ?
Work on him some a tummy or butt rub ?
or just let him rest and check him out good in the AM ?
Here is some pictures

Squirrely Steve
04-30-2010, 10:02 PM
I just read what's going on..I haven't been on too much lately...

Come on Chuck, POOP!!! I am praying for him...

Have you tried a warm bath on his bottom? Don't know if it's recommended, but thought I'd bring it up....:grouphug

Hi Tiny Paws

Yes Come on Chuck, POOP!!!
He doesnt like water very well but he lets me put a warm wash cloth on him.
Not sure if I should now with the swelling :thinking
A good idea Thanks

muffinsquirrel
04-30-2010, 11:18 PM
Could you use an eyedropper to get some mineral oil into his anus to help get the poop started? This is a QUESTION, not a SUGGESTION! Please give an opinion, rehabbers.

muffinsquirrel

CritterMom
05-01-2010, 02:31 AM
Well, he sure looks peppy! Good with the watermelon, give him all he will eat. If no poops in the AM, give him another dose of the ORAL mineral oil.

Little bugger - maybe dilute the juice some more and sweeten it? That cherry juice will help him poo for sure...

Mrs Skul
05-01-2010, 02:37 AM
:wave123 Hi Squirrly Steve,
I have a X Small Enema Tub. The Vet prescribed it for my old dog Max, a while back. (never been used!!) :D I am not sure what is in it. :thinking May be mineral oil. If any of the L. Rehabbers out there, think that is the way to go. Just PM me, let me know where to mail it. I have been reading and praying for Chuck. I sure hope the watermelon does the trick.:D

:grouphug Hope you feel better soon Chuck.:grouphug

CritterMom
05-01-2010, 06:12 AM
Steve, I just had a flash of brilliance (if I do say so myself!):sanp3

If Chuck doesn't like the cherry juice, I bet he would like watermelon... Boo's mom made him watermelon juice all the time - it was his favorite. Throw some in a blender or something - I bet Sheri has all kinds of cooking gadgets - and give him that straight for a few servings. Then cut it 50/50 with water and start using that as his hydration fluid. If you are off work today, go in and give Chuck some as often as you can and he is willing to take. He likes the watermelon - you might even be able to sneak a little cherry in there when he isn't looking, and you will be both hydrating him and introducing the fiber he needs to get things moving.

How was his behavior last night? He looks bright eyed and ready to play in his pics.

SquirrelNut
05-01-2010, 06:31 AM
Critter Mom that sounds like a great idea! Only thing, I am wondering? In humans, watermelon acts as a diuretic. If it pulls off fluid, it could reinforce the constipation? Hey, I could be ALL wrong but was wondering! Again, I am NO Rehabber. It could act totally different in squirrels!

Steve, I am becoming worried that Chuck isn't improving faster? Although, you have the BEST here on the Board! I know they are giving you the Best Advice! I sure wish there was a Vet that would see him but that is just beating a horse to death on that subject! I wish you could fly him on a plane to SF to be treated! Wonder how you would sneak him on board?:rotfl LOL

Any State around you that sees squirrels? No, local Rehabbers I assume or that would have been done already?

I know how much you love Chuck and don't want anything bad happening to him!

Just off to bed so just wanted to say hello to the two of you and sending POSITIVE thoughts and energy your way!

:Love_Icon

Squirrely Steve
05-01-2010, 06:34 AM
Steve, I just had a flash of brilliance (if I do say so myself!):sanp3

If Chuck doesn't like the cherry juice, I bet he would like watermelon... Boo's mom made him watermelon juice all the time - it was his favorite. Throw some in a blender or something - I bet Sheri has all kinds of cooking gadgets - and give him that straight for a few servings. Then cut it 50/50 with water and start using that as his hydration fluid. If you are off work today, go in and give Chuck some as often as you can and he is willing to take. He likes the watermelon - you might even be able to sneak a little cherry in there when he isn't looking, and you will be both hydrating him and introducing the fiber he needs to get things moving.

How was his behavior last night? He looks bright eyed and ready to play in his pics.

Good Morning Critter Mom

Yes a flash of brilliance a very good idea , I bought a whole miny water mellon we have a blender , I will blend some up :thumbsup
I will mix it 50/50 with water and start using that as his hydration fluid.
He was liking the water melon last night. :multi :thankyou
I am off work today but got to do a couple of moving loads moving my mom out of her house this morning . Any time I am by Chuck I will push the water mellon juice mix.
I checked on him a couple of times last night he only took some water drinks . He did a lot of running last night 3 floors old farm house.
This morning he got up at 5:30 and as been running all around .I havent seen any poops yet but I am following and watching did a little butt rub around the opening it is swollen still but the opening looks like it is open like.
I did a skin pull on his fur looks good snapped down. I think he is ok. just got to see some poops would make me feel a lot better.
I get Chucks breakfest ready and blend some mellon.
I be in a out but will keep up dating every chance I get. Sometimes its hard so much action going on sometimes. at least the sun is sinning today :thumbsup
Thanks so much for all the help and ideas :grouphug

SquirrelNut
05-01-2010, 06:40 AM
just reading a bunch about how Karo Syrup is given for constipation in squirrels, also. i think someone already mentioned this to you? too tired to read through ALL the thread!

anyway, good night from San Francisco!

Squirrely Steve
05-01-2010, 06:48 AM
Critter Mom that sounds like a great idea! Only thing, I am wondering? In humans, watermelon acts as a diuretic. If it pulls off fluid, it could reinforce the constipation? Hey, I could be ALL wrong but was wondering! Again, I am NO Rehabber. It could act totally different in squirrels!

Steve, I am becoming worried that Chuck isn't improving faster? Although, you have the BEST here on the Board! I know they are giving you the Best Advice! I sure wish there was a Vet that would see him but that is just beating a horse to death on that subject! I wish you could fly him on a plane to SF to be treated! Wonder how you would sneak him on board?:rotfl LOL

Any State around you that sees squirrels? No, local Rehabbers I assume or that would have been done already?

Just off to bed so just wanted to say hello to the two of you and sending POSITIVE thoughts and energy your way!

Good morning Squirrel Nut

Thanks squirrel nut I will check out I hope water mellon is ok for him he is loving it :thumbsup
Yes I am very worried too. But I think it will take awhile before the swelling goes down I pray and Hope :grouphug
We are working on a vet looking all around just in case he gets any worse.
but he is doing lots of running a playing and eating so I think we are on the right Track. yes We have the best helping us out so greatfull and happy :bowdown
That would be cool to take chuck on a plane ride to SF I wish we could :thumbsup
Thanks so much for the help and ideas and positive thoughts and energy :grouphug

Squirrely Steve
05-01-2010, 06:50 AM
just reading a bunch about how Karo Syrup is given for constipation in squirrels, also. i think someone already mentioned this to you? too tired to read through ALL the thread!

anyway, good night from San Francisco!

I forgot about that I will try some Thanks :thankyou
Have a good night/and day :grouphug

CritterMom
05-01-2010, 06:55 AM

Well, I dunno. The watermelon was recommended to me by a really reliable source. It will only be, I hope, for the one day, too. I'm also hoping that the juice makes the water taste good enough for Chuck to really want to drink lots.

SquirrelNut
05-01-2010, 07:02 AM
then i would GO for it! more fluids will definitely be consumed if he likes the watermelon flavor!

mugzeezma
05-01-2010, 08:26 PM
I know you are all thinking this is constipation but wouldn't it have been cleared by now? If indeed it was constipation wouldn't the blockage be felt through the abdominal wall and not be showing at the anus?
The hair loss and texture of his coat is strange too. Like he has too much fluffy undercoat.
Could this be hormonal?
Thyroid maybe?

4skwerlz
05-01-2010, 08:44 PM
I know you are all thinking this is constipation but wouldn't it have been cleared by now? If indeed it was constipation wouldn't the blockage be felt through the abdominal wall and not be showing at the anus?

That's what I thought at first too, but reading about megacolon I learned that the feces can collect near the anal opening and cause the colon to become very enlarged. Steve said he could feel the poops under the skin.

Obviously this is more than simple constipation. Have your rehabber friend google "megacolon" and see what he thinks.

Gina
05-01-2010, 08:47 PM
Been following Chuck's poop progress, was hoping he was a pooping machine by now.:poop :poop :poop

This is not advise - just a thought - maybe some of the experts out there will know if harmful. What about some good ole Preparation H for the swelling?? Not trying to say he has ROIDS:carzy2 , but hey, if it helps the swelling maybe the poops will come out easier.

mugzeezma
05-01-2010, 08:52 PM
That's what I thought at first too, but reading about megacolon I learned that the feces can collect near the anal opening and cause the colon to become very enlarged. Steve said he could feel the poops under the skin.

Obviously this is more than simple constipation. Have your rehabber friend google "megacolon" and see what he thinks.
Which one you talkin 'bout 4????:D
I'll do a google on the megacolon too

momma2boo
05-01-2010, 08:52 PM
Well, I dunno. The watermelon was recommended to me by a really reliable source. It will only be, I hope, for the one day, too. I'm also hoping that the juice makes the water taste good enough for Chuck to really want to drink lots.

I believe the reason watermelon is a diuretic is because is contains soooo much water that it does in fact make you pee. But then again, so does water if you drink enough of it. :dono

I know that when I couldn't get anything in Boo I juiced watermelon for him and he eagerly and readily drank it. Personally I would recommend it. Especially if a little cherry juice can be snuck into it. IMO.

4skwerlz
05-01-2010, 09:07 PM
Which one you talkin 'bout 4????:D
I'll do a google on the megacolon too

Assumed you have a vet or rehabber you're consulting.:dono Don't know that I've seen this type of problem in a squirrel yet on TSB so it's fairly puzzling....

4skwerlz
05-01-2010, 09:14 PM
I believe the reason watermelon is a diuretic is because is contains soooo much water that it does in fact make you pee. But then again, so does water if you drink enough of it. :dono

Yep. Watermelon is a great rehydration fluid. If it makes you pee it's because it floods the body with fluid. Watery fruits in general are good for rehydration as they contain natural electrolytes.

Squirrely Steve
05-01-2010, 09:54 PM
Hi Squirrel Friends :wave123

We have Poop yaaa :wott :)
I oiled his butt up real good before I went and did moving and chores and got back this afternoon let chuck out and he did some good pooping :)
I made some water mellon juice and gave him some too he liked a lot . He drink water and ate a strawberry and a couple nuts he had stashed I picked him some dandalion greens and plankten and some helicopers and he ate good. :thumbsup

It looks like his swelling is going down more its still swelled pretty good.
I did a tummy massage and a couple of butt massages and the one he likes best is a kind of hard scatch around the base of the tail and lower back and hips his eyes roll back :)

Here is some pictures :)

Thanks so much for all the advise and help everyone :grouphug :grouphug

Squirrely Steve
05-01-2010, 09:57 PM
Yep. Watermelon is a great rehydration fluid. If it makes you pee it's because it floods the body with fluid. Watery fruits in general are good for rehydration as they contain natural electrolytes.

Hi 4skwerlz
I think Watermelon is working good on Chuck

Squirrely Steve
05-01-2010, 09:59 PM

I know that when I couldn't get anything in Boo I juiced watermelon for him and he eagerly and readily drank it. Personally I would recommend it. Especially if a little cherry juice can be snuck into it. IMO.

Hi momma2boo

Yes Chuck is liking it :thumbsup
I got to try sneaking in the cherry juice tommorow :thumbsup

4skwerlz
05-01-2010, 10:03 PM
Good news! :thumbsup But we need a lot more poops.....

Squirrely Steve
05-01-2010, 10:05 PM
The hair loss and texture of his coat is strange too. Like he has too much fluffy undercoat.
Could this be hormonal?
Thyroid maybe?

Hi mugzeezma
Hey how the other Chuck doing ?
I havent had no time to wander from here :crazy
you are doing such a great job with him :grouphug
Yes this are some of my big worrys :sanp3
I think he is the runt of the litter he is so small barely over a pound.
I lost his brother and sister very young chuck is almost 3 in july
Can that gland make is size different and some of these problems come up ?

Squirrely Steve
05-01-2010, 10:12 PM
Good news! :thumbsup But we need a lot more poops.....

Hi 4skwerlz
Yes a lot more :thumbsup
He is still doing a lot of extra sleeping ?
is that his body resting and repairing ?
I think he is coming out of it pooping and eating and playing
I think we all ate some bad morels it was a bad stomac and lower area this week for me and sheri and Chuck . :sanp3
Chuck always had a weird hair lose down there thur these years :thinking

mugzeezma
05-01-2010, 10:14 PM
How's the swelling Steve? Is he pooping???

Squirrely Steve
05-01-2010, 10:17 PM
:wave123 Hi Squirrly Steve,
I have a X Small Enema Tub. The Vet prescribed it for my old dog Max, a while back. (never been used!!) :D I am not sure what is in it. :thinking May be mineral oil. If any of the L. Rehabbers out there, think that is the way to go. Just PM me, let me know where to mail it. I have been reading and praying for Chuck. I sure hope the watermelon does the trick.:D

:grouphug Hope you feel better soon Chuck.:grouphug

Hi Mrs Skul

I think we got him going :thumbsup
Thanks so much for offering the Enema :grouphug
If he needs it I will get right with you Thanks :grouphug
I think the water mellon is working

Squirrely Steve
05-01-2010, 10:21 PM
How's the swelling Steve? Is he pooping???

Hi mugzeezma

Chuck still has quite of bit of swelling :dono
His Butt opening looks better more open :thumbsup
I seen him poop in about three places
he is wiping his but every where too. :thinking

Squirrely Steve
05-01-2010, 10:27 PM
Been following Chuck's poop progress, was hoping he was a pooping machine by now.:poop :poop :poop

This is not advise - just a thought - maybe some of the experts out there will know if harmful. What about some good ole Preparation H for the swelling?? Not trying to say he has ROIDS:carzy2 , but hey, if it helps the swelling maybe the poops will come out easier.

Hi Gina
Thanks he is a his way I hope and Pray :grouphug
Preparation H sounds like a good idea :thinking
Let me know what you think everyone :dono
maybe pretty powerfull but could do a little?
Thanks so Much :grouphug

Mrs Skul
05-01-2010, 10:30 PM
:Flag Hi Squirrely Steve
:poop I have been waiting for this.:poop
:thinking Can you take Chuck to a vet and have his Thyroid Checked?
If the Thyroid is messed up It can defiantly make a deferents in how a squirrel grows. Also if he has a growth in his intestine/ Colon. :shakehead That will make him swell, and not wont to pooh!:D I had a dog that did the same thing, one time. His bottom looked just like Chucks butt did. Good luck. :thumbsup Hope thing work out for you and Chuck.:flash3

Squirrely Steve
05-01-2010, 10:42 PM
:Flag Hi Squirrely Steve
:poop I have been waiting for this.:poop
:thinking Can you take Chuck to a vet and have his Thyroid Checked?
If the Thyroid is messed up It can defiantly make a deferents in how a squirrel grows. Also if he has a growth in his intestine/ Colon. :shakehead That will make him swell, and not wont to pooh!:D I had a dog that did the same thing, one time. His bottom looked just like Chucks butt did. Good luck. :thumbsup Hope thing work out for you and Chuck.:flash3

Hi Mrs Skul

Thanks I have I was so happy when he did those 6 poops in the window :)
No Vet yet maybe some day we will find one
Live in a area were having squirrels is thought to be crazy :sanp3
We get all our help and advise here :grouphug
So Greatfull :bowdown :thankyou
I am going to do some studing on thyroid and the gland that is swollen on Chuck :thinking
Thanks so much for the help and information :grouphug

CritterMom
05-02-2010, 03:08 AM
Steve, I think this is what hapened:

Chuck is in season now - has been for a bit, and it has been a doozy, probably because he is getting older. I think the issue with his testicles earlier this year is related to that too. He is partially molted out but still has a lot of heavy undercoat it looks like, too, adding to his spikey appearance.

I understand that males can get a bit swollen up down there in season as they get older, but it normally doesn't interfere with pooping.

But I thin you guys got some "false morels." I know you collect a lot of these, Steve, but is that possible? They ook very much like the real deal and cause stomach upset... Even if you didn't, it was a lot of unusual food nobody was used to all at once. If Chuck had one morel, it was like me having a hundred of them!! I bet he had a bout or two of diarrhea that you didn't see, and that resolved itself, but the soft residue of it stuck inside and glued Chuck shut. Straining to poop made the swelling worse.

Keep an eye out for more poops and keep pushing liquids on him for another few days - the watermelon juice is great if he likes it.

Yay poop!!

stosh2010
05-02-2010, 06:41 AM
What a wonderful way to start a Sunday...with a fresh trail of CHUCKY Poops... :poop :poop :poop :poop :poop :poop

I hope you find LOTS & LOTS of "Wonderful POOP " Next we are all hoping to see Chuck's swelling go down ---FAST.

So much advice given on the Board... {hope it doesn't get confusing.} Everyone is pulling for Little Chuck.

Give Chuck a couple of Good Luck Scritchens....from Rama Tota

He's been very worried about his Good Friend Chuck.

Stosh >>> keeper of the ( Concerned ) KING

Nancy in New York
05-02-2010, 07:31 AM
I just love getting on and seeing POOP!!!!:rotfl :rotfl
I would keep doing what you've been doing...those look a little hard so there must be lots more in there...come on Chuck we want MORE:D

VigilanteBruce
05-02-2010, 11:21 AM
Ah Nothing like a Good Poop To let all know Everything is well in the world:alright.gif

mpetys
05-02-2010, 03:05 PM
I saw the mention of Preparation H and while I don't know one way or the other if this would help Chuck or any squirrel (if it is safe), it reminded me of an incident with one of my hens.

Forgive me for not knowing the right words, but one day one of our hens was walking around with her inside hanging out. Where the eggs come out. Part of that tube area was on the outside of her body. Quite nasty as it was swollen and dirty from dragging on the ground. Had all kinds of dirt, grass etc stuck to her. I panicked but went online to some of my chicken groups and was told that this does happen occasionally to some hens. I was instructed to put rubber gloves on and using warm water, to clean her and then dry her completely. Wow! That was a lot of fun. Actually, she was calm and seemed to understand that I was helping her. Then to use either Preparation H or HONEY and spread that on the area sticking out and when done, to push it back in. Sometimes it would not stay in but would have to try again in 1/2 hour. Of course, we would have to separate her and put her in a cage by herself. This procedure may have to be repeated several times during the week until the swelling went down.

With this hen, she would be back to normal in a couple of days. It has happened to her twice.

Honey was recommended because it was a natural product, has antibacterial and antiseptic properties and reduces swelling like Preparation H.

Since the two incidents with this hen, my husband and I have become beekeepers!

Michele in Tampa

CritterMom
05-02-2010, 07:03 PM
Honey, as well as propylis and even the bee venom have some amazing properties that most people don't know about (though I probably don't need to tell you!)

Steve, you better be so busy cleaning up squirrel poops that it has prevented you from LETTING US KNOW HOW CHUCK IS...

stosh2010
05-02-2010, 08:34 PM
Hello Squirrely Steve,

Sure do hope to hear from you SOON tinfoil ; this is hard on the nerves not hearing how Chuck is doing.:poke :poke :poke
Hope you both are alright and you are just busy - or maybe your Internet is down due to a storm.:dono
Please know that you both, especially Chuck, are in our thoughts and Prayers.

Be Well, Be Safe, Breathe Deep Into Peace
RamaMama, Stosh (DaddyO) & Rama Rota

Squirrely Steve
05-02-2010, 08:50 PM
Hello Squirrely Steve,

Sure do hope to hear from you SOON tinfoil ; this is hard on the nerves not hearing how Chuck is doing.:poke :poke :poke
Hope you both are alright and you are just busy - or maybe your Internet is down due to a storm.:dono
Please know that you both, especially Chuck, are in our thoughts and Prayers.

Be Well, Be Safe, Breathe Deep Into Peace
RamaMama, Stosh (DaddyO) & Rama Rota

Hi Rama Mama and Stosh and Rama Rota

Chuck is doing good :thumbsup
He is still pooping :thumbsup
but the swelling is still there :shakehead
Sorry guys a very busy day on the farm just sat down.
Chuck is still up he slept a lot today we had some bad storms he hid in his Milk Dog Bone Box and pulled the lid close I could hear him in there munching on nuts dont know how he could see :jump :jump
Thanks sorry to have you worring :grouphug

Mrs Skul
05-02-2010, 09:03 PM
:Flag Be Safe Squirrely Steve, and Chucky! :grouphug
:( Storms scare me to Chucky. :Cry :raining Rain Is OK, But TORNADOES :yuck and T-Storms :Cry .
I pray for the sun to Shine :shine and Chuck to POOH. :poop :poop :D

Squirrely Steve
05-02-2010, 09:11 PM
Steve, I think this is what hapened:

Chuck is in season now - has been for a bit, and it has been a doozy, probably because he is getting older. I think the issue with his testicles earlier this year is related to that too. He is partially molted out but still has a lot of heavy undercoat it looks like, too, adding to his spikey appearance.

I understand that males can get a bit swollen up down there in season as they get older, but it normally doesn't interfere with pooping.

But I thin you guys got some "false morels." I know you collect a lot of these, Steve, but is that possible? They ook very much like the real deal and cause stomach upset... Even if you didn't, it was a lot of unusual food nobody was used to all at once. If Chuck had one morel, it was like me having a hundred of them!! I bet he had a bout or two of diarrhea that you didn't see, and that resolved itself, but the soft residue of it stuck inside and glued Chuck shut. Straining to poop made the swelling worse.

Keep an eye out for more poops and keep pushing liquids on him for another few days - the watermelon juice is great if he likes it.

Yay poop!!

Hi Critter Mom

Yes I think he just got done with the male season. :crazy
and he is doing a molt we had a very bad winter it got down 20 below and lower sometimes he grew a thick coat. he is kind of spikey from the oil and new hair growing in he looks like a punk rocker :rotfl

Yes this sounds like what happened :thumbsup
I have ate some bad shrooms before and I think we must of got another bad batchor a falsh one. we have a mix of a black Morels here that has sometimes has a type of toxic in it but it uselly not a problem unless you drink alcohol. we must of got some strong ones.? Dang we havent went mushrooming since that day last monday :sanp3
I dont want to go no more....Well maybe next year :thinking

Yes I belive thats would happened to Chuck :thumbsup
He pooped pretty good today :thumbsup
He did good the watermelon juice too. :thumbsup
Ate one strawberry and lots of greens :D
I put a little more oil on him today and he was mad for 2 hours :sanp3

Squirrely Steve
05-02-2010, 09:15 PM
:Flag Be Safe Squirrely Steve, and Chucky! :grouphug
:( Storms scare me to Chucky. :Cry :raining Rain Is OK, But TORNADOES :yuck and T-Storms :Cry .
I pray for the sun to Shine :shine and Chuck to POOH. :poop :poop :D

Hi Mrs Skul

Chuck looks so cute peeking out are the storms done yet :)
Thanks for the prayers :grouphug

Squirrely Steve
05-02-2010, 09:24 PM
I saw the mention of Preparation H and while I don't know one way or the other if this would help Chuck or any squirrel (if it is safe), it reminded me of an incident with one of my hens.

Forgive me for not knowing the right words, but one day one of our hens was walking around with her inside hanging out. Where the eggs come out. Part of that tube area was on the outside of her body. Quite nasty as it was swollen and dirty from dragging on the ground. Had all kinds of dirt, grass etc stuck to her. I panicked but went online to some of my chicken groups and was told that this does happen occasionally to some hens. I was instructed to put rubber gloves on and using warm water, to clean her and then dry her completely. Wow! That was a lot of fun. Actually, she was calm and seemed to understand that I was helping her. Then to use either Preparation H or HONEY and spread that on the area sticking out and when done, to push it back in. Sometimes it would not stay in but would have to try again in 1/2 hour. Of course, we would have to separate her and put her in a cage by herself. This procedure may have to be repeated several times during the week until the swelling went down.

With this hen, she would be back to normal in a couple of days. It has happened to her twice.

Honey was recommended because it was a natural product, has antibacterial and antiseptic properties and reduces swelling like Preparation H.

Since the two incidents with this hen, my husband and I have become beekeepers!

Michele in Tampa

Hi Michele in Tampa
Thanks so much for sharing your story about the hen :grouphug
Very amasing and Great Information :thinking :thumbsup
Thank you very much :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug
I always wanted to try beekeeping I got some of the beekeeping supplys but no time :)
Now if Chuck gets mad for two hours from putting oil on his butt ....
how mad will he get if I put some Honey on his butt ? :jump :jump

Squirrely Steve
05-02-2010, 09:33 PM
Honey, as well as propylis and even the bee venom have some amazing properties that most people don't know about (though I probably don't need to tell you!)

Steve, you better be so busy cleaning up squirrel poops that it has prevented you from LETTING US KNOW HOW CHUCK IS...

Hi Critter Mom

Should I try a dab of honey or some Pep. H ?
He is pooping but still swelled.

Wuuuuuu... I am worn out.... I work harder at home than at work. :rotfl

Squirrely Steve
05-02-2010, 09:36 PM
Ah Nothing like a Good Poop To let all know Everything is well in the world:alright.gif

Hi Bruce

Yes :)

Squirrely Steve
05-02-2010, 09:40 PM
I just love getting on and seeing POOP!!!!:rotfl :rotfl
I would keep doing what you've been doing...those look a little hard so there must be lots more in there...come on Chuck we want MORE:D

Hi Nancy

I am So Happy :)
Chucks pooping :wott
I oiled him again and did just like yesterday and some massages :thumbsup
Do the same tommorow ?
Yes lots of Poops :jump

Squirrely Steve
05-02-2010, 09:50 PM
What a wonderful way to start a Sunday...with a fresh trail of CHUCKY Poops... :poop :poop :poop :poop :poop :poop

I hope you find LOTS & LOTS of "Wonderful POOP " Next we are all hoping to see Chuck's swelling go down ---FAST.

So much advice given on the Board... {hope it doesn't get confusing.} Everyone is pulling for Little Chuck.

Give Chuck a couple of Good Luck Scritchens....from Rama Tota

He's been very worried about his Good Friend Chuck.

Stosh >>> keeper of the ( Concerned ) KING

Hi Stosh and Rama Mama and Rama

Thanks we are so happy Chuck is pooping :)
Yes hope and pray his swelling goes down soon :grouphug
We are getting Great Advise and help here at TSB :grouphug
Love the ideas ..no not confusing just greatful :grouphug
Such a great place everyone thinking and helping and caring :grouphug
Chuck says tell Rama he will be ok and ready to play very soon :thumbsup
and Chuck and Me say thankyou :grouphug

Squirrely Steve
05-02-2010, 10:01 PM
Hi Squirrel Friends

Chuck just crashed back in his Milk Dog Bone box. :tilt
I think he is pooping regular but not all sure :dono
I Had so much going on today moving and fixing broken things it was hard to watch him all the time. he slept during the storms for part of the day.
I am going to do like I have been doing for the last three days poop food, and Massages and some oil on his butt and maybe some honey on his butt.
Here is a few pictures from today :)
Chuck looks a little greasey from the oil :sanp3

Thanks for all the information and advise and help and prayers for Chuck :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

luvs squirrels
05-02-2010, 10:13 PM
:wave123 Stopping in to check on Chuck

Not too many places you can come in and get excited about pictures of poop. :jump

CritterMom
05-03-2010, 02:43 AM
Oh, good poop news!

Steve, instead of oil on his rear end, why don't you put a little neosporin on it. It is oily so it will help with the lube, and the antiseptic might help things back there. PLEASE don't use Preparation H and I am afraid that the honey will just make him lick it nonstop, which could be a problem.

Keep pushing the fluids - he can have all his regular foods (though I would still hold on banana, apple and avocado just for a bit longer) but add the watermelon in and keep syringe feeding it to him when you are home.

Once he's pooping normally, you need to give the aeea a while to go down.

Is Chuck's milkbone box tornado proof?

Jackie in Tampa
05-03-2010, 06:14 AM
just getting back after a sabbatical...so must catch up on the Bad Butt Blues...
Steve if you think I can help, let me know via PM.
Rocky has been thru this also...ugh!
DO NOT USE PREPERATION H...that's gonna shrink everything, drawing his skin tight...:nono
keep it soft and pliable until all poops are passed...
oil up his bum, and oil up some q=tips.... wait 30 minutes and get those poops outta there...mineral oil, emu oil...wesson oil...
they will cause serious bacterial issues if left any longer.
Add a few drops of water to bum area so dried poops become slippery again and get them out...go slow and give Chuck something wonderfully bad for him to eat while you are removing them and some Rescue Remedy may help too!:alright.gif
ok...going to read this thread and see where you guys are at this point:grouphug

EDIT!!!!!!!oh yeah...do you still have the ABs I sent?
get him on that immediately!

Squirrely Steve
05-03-2010, 09:07 AM
:wave123 Stopping in to check on Chuck

Not too many places you can come in and get excited about pictures of poop. :jump

Hi Luvs

Thats Funny :rotfl
Yes We are so Happy :)
Chuck is pooping everywhere this morning :wahoo

4skwerlz
05-03-2010, 09:23 AM
Oh thank goodness!:thumbsup Been so worried all weekend....please let us know when his butt returns to normal.

CritterMom
05-03-2010, 09:34 AM
POOP, GLORIOUS POOP!!!!

And nice and moist looking now, too. Yay! Poop, Chuck, poop!!

Keep up with the watermelon - he likes it, so there is no reason he can't have it regularly anyway. Yay Chuck!

luvs squirrels
05-03-2010, 09:52 AM
:wahoo :multi :multi :wahoo :multi :multi :wahoo

Jackie in Tampa
05-03-2010, 10:17 AM
:alright.gif great news...poops...:alright.gif
wow, I went and read thread...lots of great advise and info...
watermelon is always a favorite here too!
so glad he is pottying!...these little guys can age/scare us huh?

Nancy in New York
05-03-2010, 10:20 AM
:goodpost :poop :poop :poop :poop :poop :goodpost

mugzeezma
05-03-2010, 11:02 AM
So good to hear Chuck's back to being a pooping machine :D
How is the swelling? Has it gone down any yet? I wonder which came first. Did the swelling cause him to back up or did the constipation cause him to swell up?. Which came first the chicken or the egg?
I'm hoping and praying that all of you are through with this ordeal.

Little Chucky is doing great Steve. Thank you for asking. I still can't believe the turn around he made. When I first brought him home he was so limp I thought he had died.
Chucky is now a maniac squirrel and becoming a fat little piggy. Last night after i gave him his cocktail he got really silly and started attacking my comforter. Mugzi was watching from the bookshelf and hopped onto my shoulder. Next thing I knew there were two squirrels play fighting my hands right next to each other.

One thing led to another and off they went leaping around my bedroom on a merry chase. Chucky still is not sure of Mugzi who is a much bigger and way too friendly squirrel. He ran into his nestbox to hide. I kept playing with Mugzi and Chucky just could not stand being left out so he would come back and race around again. It was hilarious.

Squirrely Steve
05-03-2010, 01:50 PM
Oh, good poop news!

Steve, instead of oil on his rear end, why don't you put a little neosporin on it. It is oily so it will help with the lube, and the antiseptic might help things back there. PLEASE don't use Preparation H and I am afraid that the honey will just make him lick it nonstop, which could be a problem.

Keep pushing the fluids - he can have all his regular foods (though I would still hold on banana, apple and avocado just for a bit longer) but add the watermelon in and keep syringe feeding it to him when you are home.

Once he's pooping normally, you need to give the aeea a while to go down.

Is Chuck's milkbone box tornado proof?

Hi Critter Mom

Made it back crazy people world :shakehead
Chuck is Pooping good today all over :thumbsup
And he is in a very good mood. lots of playing :wahoo
His rear dryed up the oil went into his skin he is still swollen some.
I missed taking pictures at noon and didnt get the neosporin on him.
He was in such a great mood, I will put some on when I get home from work
He would not go back in his cage very easy when he is mad.
he was so loveable at noon he is back to the bee buzzing :D
I am pushing the fluids lots of water and watermellon and cherry juice got little bowls and cups around .I am changing them ever day.
I Had to forget the syringe feeding he got very mad when I gave him a mouth full of oil :sanp3
I will hold off on the Preparation H and honey I think the swelling is going a little down. Hope to get some pictures tonight :dono
Little Chuck was so cute peaking out of his milk bone box yesterday :)
Thats Funny Is Chuck's milk bone box tornado proof?:rotfl
Thanks for a the Help and Advise :grouphug

VigilanteBruce
05-03-2010, 02:00 PM
We are so happy Chucky is doing better, Though I have to say this has by far been the most interesting read about POOP even with POOP pictures and all ! Only squirrel lovers could be this devoted...Bruce and Treemjs

Squirrely Steve
05-03-2010, 02:11 PM
just getting back after a sabbatical...so must catch up on the Bad Butt Blues...
Steve if you think I can help, let me know via PM.
Rocky has been thru this also...ugh!
DO NOT USE PREPERATION H...that's gonna shrink everything, drawing his skin tight...:nono
keep it soft and pliable until all poops are passed...
oil up his bum, and oil up some q=tips.... wait 30 minutes and get those poops outta there...mineral oil, emu oil...wesson oil...
they will cause serious bacterial issues if left any longer.
Add a few drops of water to bum area so dried poops become slippery again and get them out...go slow and give Chuck something wonderfully bad for him to eat while you are removing them and some Rescue Remedy may help too!:alright.gif
ok...going to read this thread and see where you guys are at this point:grouphug

EDIT!!!!!!!oh yeah...do you still have the ABs I sent?
get him on that immediately!

Hi Jackie

Go to any cool place for your sabbatical :tilt
Chuck Bad butt Blues :rotfl
I think we got him thur the bad part he is pooping good now. :thumbsup
I will get with if we think we need some help.. poor rocky thanks :thankyou
Yes no prep H for now :thumbsup
We have been using Rescue Remedy and Minerial Oil its working very good :thumbsup
I think I got all the bad jammed poops out and he is going on his own now :)
We used all of the med's in Chucks last visit to the hospital :sanp3
Thanks for all the help and advise :grouphug

Squirrely Steve
05-03-2010, 02:14 PM
Oh thank goodness!:thumbsup Been so worried all weekend....please let us know when his butt returns to normal.

Hi 4skwerlz

Thanks sorry to take so long in posting updates :grouphug
Yes will get some new pictures tonight :thumbsup

Squirrely Steve
05-03-2010, 02:17 PM
POOP, GLORIOUS POOP!!!!

And nice and moist looking now, too. Yay! Poop, Chuck, poop!!

Keep up with the watermelon - he likes it, so there is no reason he can't have it regularly anyway. Yay Chuck!

Hi Critter Mom

Yes nice big moist poops :wott
All over the place :rotfl
Yes keeping the same foods a going :thumbsup

Squirrely Steve
05-03-2010, 02:19 PM
:wahoo :multi :multi :wahoo :multi :multi :wahoo

Thanks Luvs :grouphug
Tell Samantha The helicopters are falling we have been picking them up :wott

Squirrely Steve
05-03-2010, 02:24 PM
:alright.gif great news...poops...:alright.gif
wow, I went and read thread...lots of great advise and info...
watermelon is always a favorite here too!
so glad he is pottying!...these little guys can age/scare us huh?

Hi Jackie

Yes good news :thumbsup
Thanks for going threw and reading chucks thread :thankyou
Yes Great Advise and Help and such Caring People :grouphug
Yes watermelon is working good :thumbsup
Yes so glad :)
Yes they can really Scare us :grouphug

Squirrely Steve
05-03-2010, 02:25 PM

Hi Nancy

we are so happy :)

Squirrely Steve
05-03-2010, 02:43 PM
So good to hear Chuck's back to being a pooping machine :D
How is the swelling? Has it gone down any yet? I wonder which came first. Did the swelling cause him to back up or did the constipation cause him to swell up?. Which came first the chicken or the egg?
I'm hoping and praying that all of you are through with this ordeal.

Little Chucky is doing great Steve. Thank you for asking. I still can't believe the turn around he made. When I first brought him home he was so limp I thought he had died.
Chucky is now a maniac squirrel and becoming a fat little piggy. Last night after i gave him his cocktail he got really silly and started attacking my comforter. Mugzi was watching from the bookshelf and hopped onto my shoulder. Next thing I knew there were two squirrels play fighting my hands right next to each other.

One thing led to another and off they went leaping around my bedroom on a merry chase. Chucky still is not sure of Mugzi who is a much bigger and way too friendly squirrel. He ran into his nestbox to hide. I kept playing with Mugzi and Chucky just could not stand being left out so he would come back and race around again. It was hilarious.

Hi mugzeezma

yes Chuck is a pooping machine :rotfl
His swelling has gone down a little and his opening looks better :thumbsup
Not Sure was doing a bunch of things lost track before I knew it Chuck was all swelled up and not pooping .He was so swelled the poops were pushing out totally flat like paper flat:sanp3
Thanks for the advise and help and hopes and prayers :grouphug

Thats good news I have been worried :thumbsup
Thanks for sharing your story about your Chuck and Mugzi :grouphug
Awww...... they sound so fun together :wahoo :thankyou
I have been praying for him :grouphug
Hard to visit with my Chuck in the hospital :crazy

Squirrely Steve
05-03-2010, 02:55 PM
We are so happy Chucky is doing better, Though I have to say this has by far been the most interesting read about POOP even with POOP pictures and all ! Only squirrel lovers could be this devoted...Bruce and Treemjs

Hi Bruce and Tree

Yes only squirrel lovers could be this devoted :grouphug
Hope they don't take me away in one of those white jackets with no openings
Taking pictures of PooP :tilt

Momma Squirrel
05-03-2010, 03:09 PM
That is just wonderful news, I am so happy for you both, I am not sure which is more relieved you or Chuck :tilt

OK this is twice he has scared us all, no more scares :nono :Love_Icon

SquirrelNut
05-03-2010, 04:05 PM
Can you imagine when a random person would just be reading on the Squirrel Board and all at once come across these posts about OILING up your Squirrel's Butt? LOL :shakehead

Of course, if it was in my neck of the woods where I live; it would probably just be a normal day in the life of some people!;)

Squerly
05-03-2010, 04:16 PM
Can you imagine when a random person would just be reading on the Squirrel Board and all at once come across these posts about OILING up your Squirrel's Butt? LOL :shakehead

And your point is??? :thinking

Squirrely Steve
05-03-2010, 04:18 PM
That is just wonderful news, I am so happy for you both, I am not sure which is more relieved you or Chuck :tilt

OK this is twice he has scared us all, no more scares :nono :Love_Icon

Hi Momma Squirrel

Yes wonderful news :thumbsup
A very happy Chuck and A very happy Squirrely Steve :) :)
This is number three :sanp3
The bad Flu or bact. Infection :sanp3
Then he ate a couple of Ibuprofen :sanp3
Now this Adventure :sanp3
Yes no more Scares Chucky :nono

Squirrely Steve
05-03-2010, 04:23 PM

Of course, if it was in my neck of the woods where I live; it would probably just be a normal day in the life of some people!;)

Hi Squirrel Nut and Nos

Thats Funny :jump :jump
I tried telling some of the people at work here today about Oiling up Chuck and giving him a butt massage to get him to Poop :sanp3
They say I am nuts and losing it :rotfl

SquirrelNut
05-03-2010, 04:27 PM
well, it shows that we will do about anything for our critters that we love so much! you live on a farm; and your experiences are a many i am sure!

i remember my father staying up all night in the barn with many an animal assiting them in their birth!

chuck is extremely fortunate to have you!!!!

stosh2010
05-03-2010, 04:33 PM
Steve and CHUCK....
Looks like the HARD WORK finally paid off in " BROWN Gold"

Now all CHUCK needs is for his swelling to recede..Soon, I hope.

Squirrely Steve
05-03-2010, 04:38 PM
well, it shows that we will do about anything for our critters that we love so much! you live on a farm; and your experiences are a many i am sure!

i remember my father staying up all night in the barn with many an animal assiting them in their birth!

chuck is extremely fortunate to have you!!!!

Hi Squirrel Nut

Yes when you love them you will do about anything to help them. :grouphug
I am so glad I didnt have to do the little enenma for Chuck :sanp3
but I would have no problem :grouphug
Anything for my Chucky :grouphug
I have stayed up many of nights being with a animal so it doesnt die alone in this world or helping them stay alive :grouphug :grouphug
Thanks I am so fortunate to have Chuck :Love_Icon
Nos is very fortunate to have you :grouphug

tomcics
05-03-2010, 04:40 PM
Great news on Chuck's health improvement & movement. :thankyou

Squirrely Steve
05-03-2010, 04:44 PM
Steve and CHUCK....
Looks like the HARD WORK finally paid off in " BROWN Gold"

Now all CHUCK needs is for his swelling to recede..Soon, I hope.

Hi Stosh and Rama Mama and Rama Rota

Thats a very funny picture Thanks :jump :jump
Love it :Love_Icon
I am picking it up everywhere :sanp3
Its working :thumbsup
Yes now the swelling got to go down . :multi

Squirrely Steve
05-03-2010, 04:49 PM
Great news on Chuck's health improvement & movement. :thankyou

Hi Tomcics

We cant wait to be playing at the Grey Squirrel room/place again :multi
Tell the gang Hi and we will be back soon. :wave123

Squirrely Steve
05-03-2010, 04:59 PM
Hi Friends

Getting ready to head for home. :multi
Cant wait to play Squirrel hide and Seek with Chuck :thumbsup
I Hope and Pray Chucks swelling is getting smaller :grouphug
Tonights mission is to get the best pictures we can of Chucks swelling with something by him so everyone can see what I see. :thinking
I will be back after Chuck goes to bed about 8:30 to 9:00 pm.
He keeps trying to get my keyboard he likes to pull the buttons out and watch me put them back :rotfl
Thanks everyone for all the help and advise and prayers and being here for us threw this rough time .
Many Thanks :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

stosh2010
05-03-2010, 05:07 PM
Steve,

Maybe you are lucky we are spread out all over the globe....
If we were all close by----you'd be cooking dinner for 135 people every night. :multi :multi :multi :multi

__________________________________________________ _______

Gina
05-03-2010, 06:19 PM
Never thought I would be so happy to see pictures of POOP
:banana
GO CHUCKY:alright.gif GO CHUCKY:alright.gif YOU CAN POOP NOW:poop YOU CAN POOP NOW:poop

Squirrely Steve
05-03-2010, 09:05 PM
Steve,

Maybe you are lucky we are spread out all over the globe....
If we were all close by----you'd be cooking dinner for 135 people every night. :multi :multi :multi :multi

__________________________________________________ _______

Hi Stosh

That would be cool :thumbsup
I would love to :)
I promise no Morel Mushrooms :rotfl