PDA

View Full Version : Tail Loss in Park Squirrels.

Katherine
04-27-2010, 06:39 AM
There is a park that my friend & I often visit in Manhattan. While I have not been there for a while, she told me of 7 squirrels that have lost part of their tails. They are friendly in this park & come up to you for food. She has seen blood at the tips of the tails. Their fur is otherwise fine. Any thoughts on what could be causing this?

mugzeezma
04-27-2010, 06:54 AM
There is a park that my friend & I often visit in Manhattan. While I have not been there for a while, she told me of 7 squirrels that have lost part of their tails. They are friendly in this park & come up to you for food. She has seen blood at the tips of the tails. Their fur is otherwise fine. Any thoughts on what could be causing this?
I'm assuming that there is a lot of human traffic going on, dogs, cats, etc.
A squirrel's tail is nothing more than a string of light bones covered by a light but muscular layer of flesh. If a squirrels tail gets caught the flesh will easily tear off leaving the bone behind which then dies and falls off. It doesn't grow back.
It's a good thing that tails separate easily. The squirrel can escape with his life.
Chances are something tried to catch these squirrels and all they got was tail.

lilbitsquirrely
04-27-2010, 08:08 AM
My African Grey parrot bit my lilbits tail:nono and sure enough, he lost about a half inch of it.So now that makes since,:dono I never knew that, and when It happened it worried me to death and the vet said there was not anything to do but watch him for any signs of infection.:) He was fine:Squirrel He learned to stay off Oscars cage and run fast when Oscar:eek:was on the loose.

Katherine
04-27-2010, 08:17 AM
I'm assuming that there is a lot of human traffic going on, dogs, cats, etc.
A squirrel's tail is nothing more than a string of light bones covered by a light but muscular layer of flesh. If a squirrels tail gets caught the flesh will easily tear off leaving the bone behind which then dies and falls off. It doesn't grow back.
It's a good thing that tails separate easily. The squirrel can escape with his life.
Chances are something tried to catch these squirrels and all they got was tail.
Thanks. I'm just wondering if this is being done by a human(s). It is high human, dog, cat area but I've been going to this park for decades & have never seen this occur. As mentioned, my friend who lives around there, goes daily.

Katherine
04-27-2010, 08:21 AM
My African Grey parrot bit my lilbits tail:nono and sure enough, he lost about a half inch of it.So now that makes since,:dono I never knew that, and when It happened it worried me to death and the vet said there was not anything to do but watch him for any signs of infection.:) He was fine:Squirrel He learned to stay off Oscars cage and run fast when Oscar:eek:was on the loose.
That's incredible about poor lilbits tail being bitten by your African Grey. My concern, as is my friend's, is that this is not being done by a crazy human. As mentioned in above post, there are many cats & dogs in the park, but she's seen so many now & has never happened before.

island rehabber
04-27-2010, 09:56 AM
KAtherine, snagging on something is also a typical way that squirrels lose part of their tails. If these squirrels all live in a particular area, there may be a well-travelled path they use -- through a fence, between two walls, even a particular tree cavity -- where something sharp or rough is snagging them. People have had rehab squirrels break off part of their tails by being caught going in and out of nest boxes.

Katherine
04-27-2010, 10:19 AM
KAtherine, snagging on something is also a typical way that squirrels lose part of their tails. If these squirrels all live in a particular area, there may be a well-travelled path they use -- through a fence, between two walls, even a particular tree cavity -- where something sharp or rough is snagging them. People have had rehab squirrels break off part of their tails by being caught going in and out of nest boxes.
IR. Yes, they are all in a specific area. No fence or wall, but tree cavity is a possibility.