PDA

View Full Version : Our family is looking to adopt or purchase a pair of squirrels

SquirrelRunner
04-25-2010, 12:08 PM
Does anyone know of any reputable squirrel breeders in Ohio, Indiana, Pennsylvania or West Virginia?

momma2boo
04-25-2010, 12:45 PM
Do you mean domesticated Flyers? Wild squirrels are not bred in captivity for resale purposes.

SquirrelRunner
04-25-2010, 12:52 PM
Sugar gliders would be our last resort as we'd prefer actual squirrels. I have heard of people rescuing them and raising them and sometimes hear they have been kept as domestic.

Anne
04-25-2010, 01:20 PM
It is extremely rare for rescued squirrels who have been raised by people to breed in captivity. It has been done. I had a pair produce a small (2) litter here. Momma, Daddy and babies were all released. Rumor says baby gray squirrels for sale have been robbed from their drays.(?)
That is something this board and it's members WILL NEVER condone!

SquirrelRunner
04-25-2010, 01:30 PM
I would never want to hear of squirrels being robbed from their nests. We would even like to rescue, raise and release if someone finds them and doesn't know what to do with them. If a few would happen to make great pets, we'd keep them but if they are too wild, they can go to our woods.

lizharrell1
04-25-2010, 01:32 PM
Gray squirrels, as a rule, DO NOT MAKE GOOD PETS. There are several people on this board that have squirrels that for various are UNABLE to be released back into the wild. Flyers, I understand DO make good pets and bond well with their humans.

gs1
04-25-2010, 01:43 PM
:Welcome squirrelrunner...

look around ... we've so many interesting squirrel threads here...

at most gray squirrels - as pets we've very few ... 1 in 100 makes a good pet ... in my opinion...

they're rare but they happen...same with reds ...etc...

so you are off to a good start... you're here!!! we love squirrels and squirrel lovers are always welcome...:D

give yourself some time to read as much as you can tolerate...

i guess you'd be looking at a non-releasable gray squirrel ... one that cannot be let wild because of medical reasons...

sometimes people do come with those kinds of squirrels and hope to find homes for them...

I think in ohio you are legally allowed to have squirrels as pets so that's 100% wonderful...

so now ... where to go from here???

gray - sometimes possible....

flyers - make wonderful pets and are squirrels but are nocturnal...

and gliders ...we've got quite a few here ... look at pappy's threads...

we've also got chipmunks...

and ground squirrels...

:Welcome :D (you'll have a degree in squirrelology when you're finished reading ... if that ever happens... i haven't gotten through 1/3 yet!!!:flash3 :wave123 )

gs1
04-25-2010, 01:45 PM
oh... the reason why grays don't make good pets is the 'call of the wild' people who raise them as babies say they're lovable one minute and crazy the next...

can take over a year but it happens....

and then because they've been imprinted on humans so badly it's even more dangerous to release them...

anyway... read on ...you'll see what i mean....:D

SquirrelLove
04-25-2010, 09:41 PM
Does anyone know of any reputable squirrel breeders in Ohio, Indiana, Pennsylvania or West Virginia?Don't forget that in most states it's illegal to own a squirrel. :nono You have to be a licensed rehabber or face terrible fines and the squirrel is usually put to sleep (Killed) if you're caught.

I have just released 4 squirrels. One of them was really getting wild. He bit my husband 14 times in less than 5 minutes when I went to Tampa for a week and my husband had to care for them. He comes back home at night, but I see less and less of him - he's "Wilding" up. And they LOVE it outside. Grays don't make good pets, they look out the window and seem to suffer so if they are not allowed to be "SQUIRRELS".
Joanne in Jax FL.:nono

psychotic feather
04-25-2010, 10:09 PM
Why don't you try doing research on owning a chipmunk?
They are a lot tamer than squirrels and never "wild up"

mugzeezma
04-25-2010, 10:32 PM
Don't forget that in most states it's illegal to own a squirrel. :nono You have to be a licensed rehabber or face terrible fines and the squirrel is usually put to sleep (Killed) if you're caught.

I have just released 4 squirrels. One of them was really getting wild. He bit my husband 14 times in less than 5 minutes when I went to Tampa for a week and my husband had to care for them. He comes back home at night, but I see less and less of him - he's "Wilding" up. And they LOVE it outside. Grays don't make good pets, they look out the window and seem to suffer so if they are not allowed to be "SQUIRRELS".
Joanne in Jax FL.:nono
Keeping any Tree squirrel in a cage is cruel. They are wickedly clever, very social and can bite THROUGH our hand if they want to. Strangers might never again be welcome in your home. They may attack them. If the animal can't have the run of your house forget it. Not my opinion, REALITY. I have 2 of them. Both are rescues. Ask about the damage to your house they can cause. Squirrelies need a lot of space, a lot of attention , they are picky , picky eaters, they cannot be litterbox trained, they are wild animals. You live by their rules, not the other way around.
I dearly love them but they are Hell on wheels!
You have to be a little off center to want this in your life:tilt
If anyone is bitten and cries rabies, guess what happens to your squirrel? It's euthanized. Ohio I believe is a state where it is illegal to "own" a tree squirrel. In that case no veterinarian will see your baby when it's sick, They WILL LOOSE THEIR LICENSE if you are not a licensed rehabber.
Squirrels are not hamsters. they live a long time...up to 20+ years.
Good luck finding someone to watch them when you are on vacation!
There are so many wonderful animals that people don't want. Just look at Craigslist sometime. You will find a hundred ferrets. Ferrets are domestics and are non stop kittens not unlike squirrels.
sorry to be harsh there is only one way to state the facts.
I didn't ask for a squirrel. He came to me in the hands of a little boy that didn't want him to die and neither did I.
He had nowhere to go.
That's my Mugzi

scoobysnack
04-25-2010, 10:44 PM
What Mugzi said and may I add that Rats are WONDERFUL pets. Very squirrel like in many ways but without the biting and illegal keeping.

Tree squirrels rule you world. You live on their terms. They are NEVER domestic. Domestication by definition takes centuries. Even sweet tree squirrels are unpredictable. Like living with a 1 pound tiger.

They don't "train", they don't discriminate about what they pee, poop or chew on. They will bite you, your family and friends. Think of it as owning a very manic parrot.

They also have pretty intense husbandry needs. Special dietary considerations, lighting needs and caging requirements. I believe as Mugzi does, that no tree squirrel should be caged for any length of time. My girl has an entire bedroom and I'm currently working on giving her run of my home.

I also now have rats and I have to tell you I adore them! They are sweet, smart, affectionate, much easier to keep, trainable and perfectly legal to own anywhere. You absolutely can find a vet for your pet rat.

Ultra Peepi
04-26-2010, 10:55 AM
Hi and welcome! :Welcome I would heed the wise advice given here about tree squirrels, as I had rescued a baby red a while back and it was quite an endeavor; Peepi is free now, thanks to a nature center in troy, oh. He consumed my life (it was torture giving him up as I love him and miss him terribly, but I know he is where he needs to be now so it's ok), he destroyed a LOT in the last house I was in and cleaning up the damage was time consuming and costly, and he did wild up in about a year and a half (which made it dangerous for the people, very sad and depressing for Peepi and forced a mad scramble to find a rehabber/center willing to over-winter him for a soft spring release)... it was a HUGE endeavor and one that is not to be taken lightly at all. If I were you, I would research more here and see if another critter won't fulfill your desires and be more suitable to living inside with the people; Peepi had fallen out of the neighbor's tree and he brought him to us... and I couldn't say no to helping him, but in retrospect he should have gone right to a good rehabber and not stayed for a year plus... hindsight, eh?:dono Goodluck to ya!

Secret Squirrel
04-26-2010, 12:08 PM
Welcome :Welcome Welcome....seems like you are looking for some squirrely lovins !!!! LOL!!!
As many members have shared thier ideas and opinions about squirrels as pets, I am sure you are feeling a bit discouraged.

Not that you won't make good parents, it just that squirrels require lots of time and space requirments and MONEY...they are not cheap to feed and require a vet with "wildlife" skills. Not all vets do wildlife, and exotic vets cost more than a domectic pet vet.:wallet :wallet :wallet

I suggest you find a rehabber close to that may need help with raising and rehabing babies. That way you get first hand experience and may decide to rehabe for yourself.....we need more rehabers in this world, with urban sprawl on the rise.
It's a win win situation to raise and release...you get to love up on them while they are small and cute. You get to give back to nature a wild free squirrel after it bites the bejezzus out of you...LOL!!!! J/K
Oh yeah...don't forget the sleepless nights zzz zzz zzz:rotfl

Best wishes and welcome again to TSB.

FallensMommie
04-26-2010, 03:45 PM
Welcome :Welcome I agree with all that has been said...I have many a damage items that I can account for :p ...one of the biggest payout was when Fallen peed on the TV....he has cost me more in money than all my other animals combined :poke He was released and had a accident that prevented a re-release for him, when he is out of his cage it is constant supervision. 99.99% of the rehab babies wild up, its a very rare squirrel that does decide to stay.

mugzeezma
04-27-2010, 05:55 AM
Good Morning,
i hope all of this has information has helped you understand the type of animals we are dealing with. There is a huge need for LICENSED rehabbers. I capitalized LICENSED because it is so important to go thru that process to learn about our wildlife and how we need to maintain the last vestiges of our indigenous populations in urban areas. It would be a wonderful thing for your entire family to learn about these animals in a way that enhances your relationship with common wildlife. Physically we do not own animals. They are separate from us. Our bonds are only emotional and not necessarily what's best for the animal. They are pieces of a very complex ecosystem.
If you are serious about sharing your life with squirrels than I would urge you to write or call Your states Department of Natural Resources or DNR or DCNR, Dept of Conservation and Nat Resources in some states. Ask about licensing for rehabilitation and what the qualifications are.
There are Wildlife centers that you and your family may be able to volunteer at in the meantime.
Best of luck to you