PDA

View Full Version : my red baby.

pia
10-23-2006, 02:06 PM
in norway we only have one type of squirrels: red squirrel. one week ago i found 2babyes, mom was shot by a hunter. one baby died after few hours. the other is about 4weeks old now, and doing great:-) it is winter here now, so i have to keep him inside, and wait for the spring and sun. he is a happy baby, talking alot and loves to cuttle:-) do you know anything about red ones? i realy want to learn more about them, so if you do, please contakt me!!!!

Momma Squirrel
10-23-2006, 02:18 PM
:Welcome Pia, we don't have anyone from Norway on the board, glad to have you. We do have several from around the globe but you are the first from Norway. We would love to see some pictures of your new baby and your area. Thank you for being there for the little, sorry to hear about mom and the other baby. Do you have a name yet for the little one??

pia
10-23-2006, 02:25 PM
hello:-) he"s name is "knøttet", (tiny).
i do not have a digitalcamera yet, but soon i hope:-)
in norway vet"s dont care to help squirrels, and there is not any rehab here, so i am on my own..

Momma Squirrel
10-23-2006, 03:13 PM
We will help out as much as we can if you have any problems or questions. There are some very smart people on this board and us that may not have all the answers will certainly help in the holding your hand area.

GhosTS
10-23-2006, 09:08 PM
There are many people here who work with reds.You can get a load of information from them.How old is knøttet.what are you feeding him with.You should know, most of the problems with squirrels comes from wrong diet.tell us more about the baby.And get that digital camera soon.:D .

Alaskan Squirrel Cam
10-23-2006, 09:19 PM
:Welcome

I've nothing but reds here in Alaska. I've raised one or two, lost one of two, and I'm not sure I'm the best for giving advice. Nonetheless, I'm willing to help with any questions you may have that I can answer.

bob

http://www.thesquirrelcam.com

Dancingsquirrel
10-23-2006, 10:18 PM
Welcome Pia! Thank you for rescuing little knøttet, and I wish you good luck in raising him. :thumbsup
:Welcome

pia
10-24-2006, 02:10 AM
:-) he is about 4weeks old. i feed hem with babycat milk, but he also eat food from the petstore. he seems to be just fine:-) it is just one problem: if he falls, break a leg, ore get sick, ore something- i can not get help here in norway....... the vets will only put hem to sleep, they do not want to help squirrels... not even with antibiotics and other medicin..
i hope he stays healthy.

Somebody's Mother
10-24-2006, 04:14 AM
hi pia! i am interested in hearing all about your baby. i never knew there were so many different kinds. good luck taking care of him.
i had a grey squirrel for awhile and in the state i live in it is illegal to own them. but i was lucky and had a vet that didn't care and there are several great rehabbers in this state and in the state to the north of mine.
hope we can help you and knottet. :Welcome
btw my name is debbie but most people just call me somebody's mother. haha!

pia
10-24-2006, 05:14 AM
hi:-) in norway there is no rules about squirrels, and nobody have them as pets. i am glad that we don`t look at them as pets, then they can all be free, but it is too bad that nobody takes care of those who needs it.. the vets do not want to help, because they belive that other animals will get sick if they ar near.. i tried search internett here in norway, but there is no info about squirrels here. i do not understand it, because we have squirrels all over our country. i have 2 kids, so i take knottet with me to the school and kindergarden so the kids there can learn about wildlife. they love it:-) now it is cold here, so all norwegian squirrels stay in their nests. i cant let him out before april, then the snow is hopefully gone...

Squirrelly
10-24-2006, 06:19 AM
Hello Pia and :Welcome to The Squirrel Board! It sure is nice to have a new member from overseas in Norway!

As I'm just a squirrel lover and NOT a rehabber, I hope someone will jump in quickly to advise about the KITTEN'S MILK that you are giving your baby. I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm assuming that a squirrel is a squirrel, even across the ocean.

Thank you for caring, Pia, and I wish you the very best with your precious little one.

island rehabber
10-24-2006, 08:54 AM
....As I'm just a squirrel lover and NOT a rehabber, I hope someone will jump in quickly to advise about the KITTEN'S MILK that you are giving your baby.

hi Pia! Yes, as a licensed rehabber I feel I must suggest to you that you switch your baby's formula to PUPPY milk, instead of kitten. The formula for puppies is much closer to a squirrel mamma's milk, and is much better for the growing baby squirrel. The best way to switch formulas is to first mix a little bit of the puppy formula into the kitten milk you're already feeding the squirrel. Then the next day mix more puppy formula and less kitten milk -- then the next day the same thing until he is taking all puppy formula. Don't try to switch him all at once, it may upset his digestive system. Good luck and keep up the good work :thumbsup

pia
10-24-2006, 08:56 AM
the kittenmilk is actually goat milk. is that dangerous? hes stumack seems to be fine, no problems there. does anyone know?

island rehabber
10-24-2006, 08:59 AM
the kittenmilk is actually goat milk. is that dangerous? hes stumack seems to be fine, no problems there. does anyone know?

I have heard of rehabbers using goat's milk with some success, so it may be OK if you can't get the puppy formula. If you can, I would still go with the puppy milk. :)

pia
10-24-2006, 09:05 AM
thank you:-) i`ll go to the petshop tomorrow and see if they have that:-)

GhosTS
10-24-2006, 09:17 AM
Oh its good that IR reached you first.I replied about the milk on your other thread.How long was he on this milk formula.

pia
10-24-2006, 09:31 AM
i will get that then:-)

pia
10-24-2006, 11:09 AM
i got the formula now:-)

island rehabber
10-24-2006, 02:33 PM
Good work, Pia -- if you've gotten the puppy formula now, and it's in powder form, you should give your squirrel a mixture of one part powder to two parts very very warm water, and feed him with no larger than a 3cc syringe. At his age, a 1cc syringe is preferable. If you can get a nipple attachment that is also the best way to feed without risking aspiration. There is a lot of info on this board about feeding techniques, etc. so I won't repeat myself.

thumper
10-24-2006, 07:44 PM
Pia, I've never seen anyone type with an accent before.please dont stop! for sure one of the cutest things I've ever seen........:smiley_pirate thumper

pia
10-25-2006, 01:41 AM
thank you:-) feels good knowing i give hem the food that is best for hem:-)
accent? oh, i hope you understand what i type. i guess it is easy to see that i come from another country:-) doing my best:-)

Somebody's Mother
10-25-2006, 03:59 AM
you do wonderful speaking english. i am sure i couldn't do anywhere near as good speaking norwegian. bet you have a lovely accent.

pia
10-25-2006, 04:53 AM
thank you:-) but i like speaking it better than typing it:-) typing it is more differcult:-)

Momma Squirrel
10-25-2006, 07:45 AM
You are doing a great job, we have no problem understanding what you type. Keep it up. Actually you do better than most that live here :crazy

island rehabber
10-25-2006, 08:18 AM
You are doing a great job, we have no problem understanding what you type. Keep it up. Actually you do better than most that live here :crazy

It's so true. I have to go back and edit my posts all the time... so ashamed, since I was an English major!!!

pia
10-25-2006, 08:31 AM
stop it, you make me blush:-)

pia
10-25-2006, 01:36 PM
feeding hem with puppymilk seems to go great, and he likes it:)

Momma Squirrel
10-25-2006, 02:15 PM
What a precious face, you just can't help but love 'em thanks for the picture.

island rehabber
10-25-2006, 05:27 PM
Oh my God he is so cute, he looks like a little stuffed toy squirrel!! :Love_Icon

pia
10-25-2006, 05:29 PM
:) he is my cute baby:)

Somebody's Mother
10-27-2006, 02:08 PM
he favors the foot that is away from the camera? just wondering because in the last pic it looks like it might be a bit different.

pia
10-27-2006, 02:13 PM
he has problems with the foot that is close to the camera, hes left foot..

Gabe
10-27-2006, 03:46 PM
The foot looks good. He sure is cute

pia
10-27-2006, 03:48 PM
:) i know:)

squirrelfriend
10-28-2006, 06:10 PM
Pia, I have been reading your thread for the last couple of days. He sure is cute. Is is foot better now?