PDA

View Full Version : How do I find a vet to treat my squirrel?

RockyRocko
04-24-2010, 02:10 PM
I live on the Illinois/Iowa border. The closest rehabber listed is in Moline and her email address would not go through and the phone number is no longer in service???

Anyone know of a vet that I can contact for help?? Thanks for any help.

Momma Squirrel
04-24-2010, 02:17 PM
Do you need the vet NOW or is this just so you have one in case you need one??

What type of squirrel do you have?

If it is hurt or sick can you give us some info and maybe some of our rehabbers and experienced members can help until you find a vet locally.

Be prepared to answer lots of questions :D

Weight
Type
Problem
Diet
Where the squirrel came from

RockyRocko
04-24-2010, 03:15 PM
Hi, Woody is 10 mo old, a fox squirrel, do not know weight, but he is average in size. About 3 weeks ago I believe he was bitten by another squirrel. Since then an abess has appeared where he got bit. It is hard and about an inch wide and about 1/2 in buldging out. Still all fur covering it and he will let me touch it, but I think there is a little discomfort, not sure.

My neighbors found him last Aug and I have raised him since. Just started letting him outside about 4 weeks ago. He still comes back to the house and comes inside at night. Then off he goes in the morning. He still eats grapes, and watermelon, avacado, some corn on the cob, but the rest of his diet is what he finds outside. I have sunflower seeds and hazel nuts and peanuts out in feeders also.

Someone else replied and said it could be an abcess that needs to be drained and then antibiotics.

He is only my second one to raise and Roxy also still comes in the house.

I think the abcess looks like it is getting bigger so I want to find out what to do now so that nothing happens to him!!!! Thanks, if you need more info, I will get it to you asap.

Weight
Type
Problem
Diet
Where the squirrel came from

Momma Squirrel
04-24-2010, 05:16 PM
I'm going to move this to NON life threatening thread to get more attention.

Nancy in New York
04-24-2010, 05:21 PM
Is there any way that you can post a picture so that we can see what we are dealing with?:grouphug

island rehabber
04-24-2010, 05:24 PM
RockyRocko I just private messaged you (PM) with an excellent rehabber in Iowa who may be able to help.

A pic would be so helpful, as Nancy says. We need to see if it's a bot fly warble or an abcess....he does not need antibiotics if it's a bot fly but he will, if it's an abcess. I

RockyRocko
04-24-2010, 05:55 PM
Pictures of Woody

RockyRocko
04-24-2010, 06:02 PM
I hope I resized this right?

RockyRocko
04-24-2010, 06:03 PM
2 more pictures

RockyRocko
04-24-2010, 06:05 PM
I'm new at this picture stuff

RockyRocko
04-24-2010, 06:11 PM
I circled it

atlantasquirrelgirl
04-24-2010, 06:17 PM
That's not a bot fly. You need to have a vet or rehabber check it out.

mugzeezma
04-24-2010, 10:38 PM
Anyone who has worked with wildlife in Illinois will tell you that is almost impossible to get veterinary care without a license. They run the risk of losing their licenses.
Check this URL for Willowbrook Wildlife Center in Glen Ellyn

http://www.willowbrookwildlife.com/

Dial the main number and choose the first option, ...found an injured animal and ask whomever answers for the county by county rehabber list. It isn't the most up to date thing there is but it's a start!
If you feel making the drive east there Fox Valley Wildlife Center in Elburn
that is closer but still not close to you

http://www.foxvalleywildlife.org/

Willowbrook has an exceptional reputation and handles an extraordinary number of animals, over 8,000 right now.
The only problem is that all animals stay there and are later released on Forest Preserve property in DuPage county. Any animal that is heavily imprinted runs the risk of being euthanized if it does to sufficiently wild up.
Wish I could offer you better advice but I'm in the same situation.

mugzeezma
04-24-2010, 10:51 PM
i was wondering. Do you have a vet for any other animals. If you know what is needed as far as antibiotics maybe they could sell them to you?
Do you know for sure this is an abscess from where he was bitten?
Does it fell hot?

Jackie in Tampa
04-25-2010, 05:52 AM
usually with infections...the boo boo feels hot...
can you get a better pic?
could this be where he was shot by a BB?
I see a couple areas in his hair that look like there are other bumps...???
am I just seeing things?
what does the lump feel like?
if it is an abcess, he would need ABs...but I do not see enough to remark on it...
hoping someone can help:Love_Icon

RockyRocko
04-25-2010, 10:33 AM
The lump does not feel hot, it is very hard. When he first got hurt, I looked for a wound, but there was not a puncture wound, only a spot where the fur was stuck together in a small spot that looked to me like he got bit by another squirrel. No blood and he was very sore and grunting from pain.
I kept him inside for 3 days and he seemed to be back to normal running and jumping in his cage.

Then I had to go into the hospital and I let him go outside on his own for 4 days. When I got home, he came right down to see me when he heard me call for him and that is when I noticed the lump. It seems to have grown in the past week?

I have my vet for my dogs, but how do I know what medicine to get??? Or what it is for sure???

There are not any other unusual bumps besides the one. He came inside and slept last night and is now outside. He's still chasing the other squirrels and doesn't seem to be sick??

RockyRocko
04-25-2010, 11:35 AM
Well, Woody is back inside sleeping. I know he doesn't feel good???
I can touch the bump and it doesn't seem to hurt him, but I know he is uncomfortable and something isn't right???? I'm worried??? What can I do?

mugzeezma
04-25-2010, 11:47 AM
Well, Woody is back inside sleeping. I know he doesn't feel good???
I can touch the bump and it doesn't seem to hurt him, but I know he is uncomfortable and something isn't right???? I'm worried??? What can I do?

you say it's a hard lump? Is there a scab or anything?
when you palpate it does it feel solid or is there fluid in it?
Does it roll around with the skin or does it seem attached to his ribs?
I'm afraid this is kind of a waiting game. but can you measure it and see if it increases or decrease in size over time?
He may just absorb it.

As far as what to give him for it you need to know if it is for sure an abscess.

Some here will tell you what is best for that kind of thing. You can then ask your vet if he/she can give you something for it. You may want to take your dog in for an office visit....be sneaky.

philomycus
04-25-2010, 11:59 AM
If it is an abcess....and you're sure it is....

Get a sterile needle (or make one sterile by heating up over a candle, then let it cool off) and make a tiny, single pin prick. You can press around the wound gently to drain it. He really does need ab's, maybe we can mail you some if it's an abcess.

If it's not an abcess filled with fluid, you'll know it right away and I don't think any harm could come of the pin prick you made as long as you have a sertile needle.

I only suggest doing this if there is no way you can find anyone else to help you- and then ask lots of questions before you do it- .

I could pm you my number. In the meanitme, keep him indoors!

mugzeezma
04-25-2010, 12:11 PM
If it is an abcess....and you're sure it is....

Get a sterile needle (or make one sterile by heating up over a candle, then let it cool off) and make a tiny, single pin prick. You can press around the wound gently to drain it. He really does need ab's, maybe we can mail you some if it's an abcess.

If it's not an abcess filled with fluid, you'll know it right away and I don't think any harm could come of the pin prick you made as long as you have a sertile needle.

I only suggest doing this if there is no way you can find anyone else to help you- and then ask lots of questions before you do it- .

I could pm you my number. In the meanitme, keep him indoors!

Thanks Philo
Unfortunately bathroom surgery is what may be required in wonderful Illinois

EXAUST ALL OVER RESOURCES FIRST

if you have to do this make sure you have everything you need first including antibiotics

philomycus
04-25-2010, 01:00 PM
I know it's horrible when you're in an illegal state and truly need help.

I can send some ab's to you via express mail first thing in the morning.... as long as you pay for the shipping (sorry I'm broke :D). I think overnight is ~ $21

RockyRocko
04-25-2010, 05:35 PM
GREAT NEWS! THANKS TO YOU ALL AT THE SB, SOMEONE HAS CONTACTED ME AND CAN HELP ME WITH WOODY!!!
TOMORROW MORNING HE WILL GET SOME ATTENTION AND HOPEFULLY WE CAN FIGURE OUT WHAT THIS IS AND GET IT TAKEN CARE OF!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH TO ALL OF YOU WHO DO THE WONDERFUL THINGS YOU DO!!!! I WILL GIVE YOU AND UPDATE TOMORROW EVENING!!!:jump

island rehabber
04-25-2010, 06:06 PM
:wott :thumbsup

mugzeezma
04-25-2010, 06:19 PM
GREAT NEWS! THANKS TO YOU ALL AT THE SB, SOMEONE HAS CONTACTED ME AND CAN HELP ME WITH WOODY!!!
TOMORROW MORNING HE WILL GET SOME ATTENTION AND HOPEFULLY WE CAN FIGURE OUT WHAT THIS IS AND GET IT TAKEN CARE OF!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH TO ALL OF YOU WHO DO THE WONDERFUL THINGS YOU DO!!!! I WILL GIVE YOU AND UPDATE TOMORROW EVENING!!!:jump
Excellent I'll PM my # for you but I don't know how much I can do for you...

Mrs Skul
04-26-2010, 06:24 AM
:thumbsup :wott :wahoo :alright.gif Help is on it's way. Wonderful news. I am praying everything works out for you all. Keep us posted. Good luck.

mugzeezma
04-26-2010, 08:48 AM
Let me know how it goes ok J? You can call me...

RockyRocko
04-26-2010, 09:37 AM
Thanks again to everyone!! Carol said it is definately an abcess and she will take care of Woody today and he'll be home tonight!!! I'll keep you all updated!! :wahoo

Momma Squirrel
04-26-2010, 09:42 AM
GREAT NEWS :alright.gif :thumbsup

I just love it when things come together so quickly and all pulled together to make it happen :bowdown

RockyRocko
04-26-2010, 02:15 PM
Great News!!!
Woody's abcess is now taken care of!! Carol said it was green, yellow, cottage cheesy, yukky stuff that came out of his abcess!!!
She got it all drained and he's awake and doing fine!!! Will pick him up soon!!! I can't wait!!! Got the antibiotics too!! I am so thankful!!! 10 days of inside rest for my boy and then he should be good to run free again!!!

I so appreciate all of your help and knowledge. It is very inspiring to me to know that you all care so much!!! :thankyou

Momma Squirrel
04-26-2010, 02:33 PM
:wahoo :multi AWESOME NEWS

Did they say what caused the abcess??? Just curious in case it comes up again.

VigilanteBruce
04-26-2010, 02:34 PM
Wow Awsome news. GL Rocky Bruce and I are pulling for ya.:wahoo :wahoo

Mrs Skul
04-26-2010, 02:50 PM
Hi, Woody is 10 mo old, a fox squirrel, do not know weight, but he is average in size. About 3 weeks ago I believe he was bitten by another squirrel. Since then an abess has appeared where he got bit. It is hard and about an inch wide and about 1/2 in buldging out. Still all fur covering it and he will let me touch it, but I think there is a little discomfort, not sure.

:wave123 Hi Momma Squirrel Hear is what RockyRocko Said happened to Woody. Poor little baby.
:thumbsup I am so glad you got some help.:alright.gif That is the way to work to gather!!:flash3 Good news. What kind of Antibiotics did you get? Take care and give Woody a hug for me. :grouphug

RockyRocko
04-29-2010, 10:13 PM
Hi, I think I sent messages to those of you who helped, but just wanted to update for all.

The abcess was drained and he started on amoxiallin, he is eating normal, but he also seems to be sleeping alot. I talked to Carol and she said we may have to switch his meds. I will talk to her in the AM hopefully.

Thanks for everyone's help. Working on trying to fix Roxy's teeth now!!!

Mrs Skul
04-29-2010, 10:23 PM
:wave123 Hi all
:) I talked to Woody Mama earlier. She is worried. :shakehead He has been sleeping a lot!!
Should he be sleeping so much??? :thinking
He is on AB still. She had to open the abscess again. Today hardly anything came out. She is having trouble with one of her other squirrels, she released a while ago. She should be posting in the emergency soon.
I told her she needs to get some yogurt in Woody, because of the AB. Hear is the web site we discussed earlier.
:thumbsup Visit the Henry's Healthy Pets website: http://henryspets.com
She is trying to contact Carol. The Rehabber who helped her before. Then she will be posting. Need some input about Woody.
:thankyou Thank you TSB Christal
PS See if you can get him on BAYTRIL!!!

mugzeezma
04-29-2010, 10:49 PM
Hi, I think I sent messages to those of you who helped, but just wanted to update for all.

The abcess was drained and he started on amoxiallin, he is eating normal, but he also seems to be sleeping alot. I talked to Carol and she said we may have to switch his meds. I will talk to her in the AM hopefully.

Thanks for everyone's help. Working on trying to fix Roxy's teeth now!!!
Let him rest j. I'm sure that while the infection was slowing him down changing his lifestyle is causing stress too Just keep him comfy, fed and warm.
I'm glad the boy is doing well!:jump

RockyRocko
04-30-2010, 07:09 AM
Hi,
He's up early this morning eating, so I think he's going to be fine.
Trying to catch Roxy now, she has puss coming from her eye and I think it may be an overgrown tooth poking her mouth??? OMG..... everything all at once!!!! I'll let you know how things go, talked to Carol and I can take Roxy to her tomorrow morning if I don't find anyone in town who can look at her!!

Secret Squirrel
04-30-2010, 10:21 AM
Good news for Woody!!! :grouphug Now, just keep us updated with Miss Roxy...:flash3
When it rains it pours!!!:grouphug I am so glad you got the help you needed :thumbsup

RockyRocko
04-30-2010, 12:35 PM
:jump Yippee!!!
I found a rehabber in Clinton that trimmed Roxy's teeth!!! Come to find out it was her bottoms that were too long!!! I did manage to get bit, but I'll be fine as long as Roxy is GOOD!!!!

I guess she has a separate eye injury that is causing the infection. We did get it cleaned out and ointment put in it, also gave her antibiotics.

She's back with babies now. She had a temp of 106 though, so she isn't feeling good at all!!! Will keep progress posted.

Woody is much more active today, so things are all looking good!!!!!:D

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
04-30-2010, 01:00 PM
Woody is a handsome fellow!

RockyRocko
04-30-2010, 01:36 PM
Why Thank you:D He's definately feeling better today, even wrestled with me a little:D I love SQUIRRELS!!!:jump

Mrs Skul
05-03-2010, 07:56 PM
:wave123 Hi RR I just posted on a old thread. :dono Did not know there was 2 of them going at the same time. How is Woody? Has the abscess stopped draining yet? Praying for a speedy recovery. :grouphug