PDA

View Full Version : Born To Be Wild is officially a non-profit :)

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
04-18-2010, 12:31 PM
Looks like no one saw my other thread, so I will start a new one :D.

:jump:jump:jump:jump:jump
BORN TO BE WILD IS OFFICIALLY A NON-PROFIT :wahoo:jump:jump:jump:jump:jump

I am soooooooooooooooo excited to be official and am hoping that will help get people bringing animals to donate :).

If you would like to donate to help the creatures at Born To Be Wild (I currently have 14 baby fox squirrels, 3 pinkie flying squirrels, and 5 baby bunnies), there are instructions in my other thread: http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20701&highlight=non-profit

island rehabber
04-18-2010, 12:33 PM
:wahooCONGRATULATIONS! :wahoo
You did it, and it didn't seem like it took that long...or maybe it did seem like forever to you. :D

:thumbsup Anyway, Congrats!! :thumbsup

Jackie in Tampa
04-18-2010, 12:37 PM
sooo cool!:thumbsup
:bowdown

mugzeezma
04-18-2010, 01:20 PM
sooo cool!:thumbsup
:bowdown

This is a wonderful model for others!

EXCELLENT

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
04-18-2010, 04:49 PM
All in all it took about 4 and a half months, not too bad. Did seem like a LONG wait to hear back on the federal paperwork though. They say 90 days and I got it in 92 (I was really getting worried I had screwed it up). Not bad at all though.

Anne
04-18-2010, 06:58 PM
Hurray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:grouphug

prncsbabs1
04-18-2010, 07:11 PM
Congratulations!!! :jump

crazysquirrels
04-19-2010, 03:22 PM
Congrats. A job very well done.

Fireweed
04-19-2010, 04:34 PM
Awesome news!!!!! :thumbsup

Congratulations!!!

I'm so thrilled for you! It sure is exciting--and really, you are a remarkable person---and combining your skills/compassion/intelligence with this official title, Born To Be Wild is going to be an even better success! :bowdown

:wott

:wave:wave

Pointy Tale
04-20-2010, 11:54 AM
squirrelsrule&bunniestoo: :wave123 Congratulations and best wishes for success!

lookmomchickens
04-20-2010, 12:44 PM
:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

pappy1264
04-20-2010, 05:09 PM
Congrats! That is awesome!!!

TinyPaws
04-20-2010, 06:05 PM
That's really great news....what other types of animals will you take in?

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
04-21-2010, 05:47 AM
I take in squirrels, cottontails, opossums, groundhogs, bats, and songbirds. My permit also covers fox, beaver, weasels, etc. but chances are I won't get any of those. The only animals that I do not accept are raccoons, coyote, raptors, and fawns. I won't take in raptors because I am not a huge fan of the hawks and owls and there are tons of other rehabbers around that that is all they are willing to take in, so I will pass them along to someone who wants them :D . And I can't take in coons, coyotes, or fawns because they are illegal to rehab :(.

island rehabber
04-21-2010, 05:53 AM
I take in squirrels, cottontails, opossums, groundhogs, bats, and songbirds. My permit also covers fox, beaver, weasels, etc. but chances are I won't get any of those. The only animals that I do not accept are raccoons, coyote, raptors, and fawns. I won't take in raptors because I am not a huge fan of the hawks and owls and there are tons of other rehabbers around that that is all they are willing to take in, so I will pass them along to someone who wants them :D . And I can't take in coons, coyotes, or fawns because they are illegal to rehab :(.

It's so interesting how the laws vary from region to region. In NYC if you have an RVS permit you can take in fawns and coyotes, but not foxes, bats, or raccoons....guess it all depends where the clutches of rabies cases show up.

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
05-11-2010, 06:07 AM
I guess no one wants to donate to Born To Be Wild :(

island rehabber
05-11-2010, 06:28 AM
I think it's because you're in this forum, SR&B2....everything gets lost here, I'm afraid. The general membership must think it's "rehabbers only" or something.

But thanks for the reminder!! :thumbsup:D

crazysquirrels
05-11-2010, 08:52 AM
Elaborate on the word DONATE. Money? Animals?, stuff for the animals?

Alcippe
05-11-2010, 09:58 AM
Congrats on the NP status!
Because of the rabies stats around here, there are tons of things that aren't allowed to be rehabbed. Laws are getting changed often and get almost impossible. Even one of the vets I work with who has a federal licence for birds I think has talked about just letting it lapse. :( Even the head honcho at our local zoo doesn't rehab anymore for some of the same reasons. No wonder I get calls for squirrels, the rehabbers here are few and far between. I thought about trying to get licenced, but I don't have a huge yard so I'm not able to much else besides a squirrel or two.
Have you thought about doing any fundraisers? There are some surprising ways to raise a little money. I'm an independant consultant for a company called Thirty-One. Sometimes consultants are willing to donate a percentage of the party sales if you are willing to host a benefit party. We have a horse show here every fall that benefits our local humane society. Also our local saddle club found a judge that was willing to judge the September show for free if we would donate her usual judging fee to a local horse rescue. There are even model horse shows, thats right people show plastic ponies to benefit good causes! I am one of those crazy folks and we are always looking for more shows! Here is a website for one I just attended in Ocala, FL recently to get an idea of what a model horse show is all about. :D http://mitsliveshow.webs.com/

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
05-11-2010, 07:00 PM
Elaborate on the word DONATE. Money? Animals?, stuff for the animals?

Donations can be either money or stuff for the creatures. I can always use Fox Valley 32/40 formula, Zoologic 33/40 formula, and Zoologic 30/55 formula. Baby blankets, towels, and tissues (I use tissues to pittle the creatures and go through AT LEAST a box a week, usually 2 boxes a week!) are also things I use all the time. Things like that that are used all the time and get expensive when you take in so many babies.

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
05-11-2010, 07:03 PM
Congrats on the NP status!
Because of the rabies stats around here, there are tons of things that aren't allowed to be rehabbed. Laws are getting changed often and get almost impossible. Even one of the vets I work with who has a federal licence for birds I think has talked about just letting it lapse. :( Even the head honcho at our local zoo doesn't rehab anymore for some of the same reasons. No wonder I get calls for squirrels, the rehabbers here are few and far between. I thought about trying to get licenced, but I don't have a huge yard so I'm not able to much else besides a squirrel or two.
Have you thought about doing any fundraisers? There are some surprising ways to raise a little money. I'm an independant consultant for a company called Thirty-One. Sometimes consultants are willing to donate a percentage of the party sales if you are willing to host a benefit party. We have a horse show here every fall that benefits our local humane society. Also our local saddle club found a judge that was willing to judge the September show for free if we would donate her usual judging fee to a local horse rescue. There are even model horse shows, thats right people show plastic ponies to benefit good causes! I am one of those crazy folks and we are always looking for more shows! Here is a website for one I just attended in Ocala, FL recently to get an idea of what a model horse show is all about. :D http://mitsliveshow.webs.com/

I haven't had the chance to look into fundraising too much yet. I worked on getting the non-profit status all last winter, so this winter (during the summer I have like NO TIME!) I can look into fundraising and stuff like that. There is someone who brought me some animals that has connections with the news and has volunteered to help me get my name out there. I haven't heard back from her yet though :( (I wasn't official yet when she brought the babies, so I had to wait).

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
05-11-2010, 07:10 PM
:thankyou for the donation IR :thankyou:thankyou:thankyou dizzy yet :D

Alcippe
05-12-2010, 10:57 AM
I totally understand! The most squirrels I've had at once was 2, and they were a full time job, so I know you stay busy...LOL. I just wanted to throw those ideas your way, while they were on my mind. Just tuck them away for a later date. If you are interested on the model show thing later, just LMK and I can find some crazy model horse people in your area to see about putting on a benefit show. :D

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
06-25-2010, 08:28 PM
I have decided to get my rabies preexposure shots since it seems that the wildlife center will transfer the baby bat calls to me after all :thumbsup. They are $238 PER SHOT! though. Luckilly it is a one time thing then the most you could need is a booster which I heard isn't needed more than every 10-15 years. If anyone would like to make a donation to help towards the cost of the shots, that would be awesome. I have to pay in cash or with a check when I go in to get the shots each time. I am scheduled for the 2nd of July, the 9th of July, and the 23rd of July (it is a 3 shot series for a total of $714 :sanp3). That is actually cheap for the shots, some places it is over 2000 to get them.

Milo's Mom
07-04-2011, 08:33 PM
Lynn, I am SO sorry I missed your thread.:shakehead CONGRATULATIONS!!!
What do you need the most right now? Blankets, formula, syringes, money, tissues, or something else? Leave me know...I've got your address...:tilt

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
07-05-2011, 04:37 PM
What I need most is sleep, could you send along some of that :rotfl.

If you would like to send some stuff, I can use some more goats milk (the powdered kind) to make more homemade formula. Also, I need some more powdered egg yolk, but can't find it anywhere. Chris used to sell it but not anymore :shakehead. I can also use tissues. Cash never hurts either, I always need fresh fruits and veggies.

So, pretty much whatever you feel like getting and sending is great (I do have plenty of baby blankets, but if you wanted to make the squirrels something on your sewing machine, I'm sure they'd love that). Don't feel like you have to send stuff though, you are unemployed aren't you? I have money to cover everything so it isn't like I can't take in babies because I don't have money to care for them. I am trying to save up to go towards vet school, which is gonna be super expensive, though, so any help with covering wildlife rehab stuff would be great. 34 babies (4 bunnies went free the other day, was up to 38 at one point :eek:) are expensive to care for.

Milo's Mom
07-05-2011, 07:03 PM
I can send you some sleeping pills!! I do not think that they are what you need though!! :rotfl

Yes, I am unemployed and the funds are tighter, but you've accomplished something great and it took a lot of work. Sometimes it's nice to reward hard work and accomplishments...sometimes it's nice to give something to a good friend...ya know what I mean, jelly bean?:poke

I might not get it shipped out tomorrow or the next day, but as soon as I send it your way, I'll leave you know to be on the lookout!!:wave123

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
07-05-2011, 07:19 PM
:thankyou Milo's mom. Sleeping pills aren't needed, I could fall asleep in about 2 seconds, just need some time to do so. Things have been CRAZY! I had to work 5 days this week at work and one day I had to stay over by 2 and a half hours. I was exhausted. Not a huge fan of holiday weekends!