PDA

View Full Version : Please answer this quickly

lucky squirrel
10-22-2006, 06:42 PM
A bit after 4:30 a.m. I was awakened by a squeaking sound. Because my Eclectus parrot had a seizure that led to his death several hours later less than a month ago, I leapt out of bed instantly. I found my 3 cats chasing a young squirrel around the living room, around and under various bird cages. The poor thing was terrified, and it bit me on the thumb at one point.

I managed to finally catch it w=hen my oldest cat carried it into the kitchen by it's head. I was horrified, but this cat is reasonably gentle as she "plays" with mice before finally eating them. Happily Charcoal allowed me to remove the squirrel, who appeared unharmed aside from it's fear.

First I placed him/her into a tiny plastic tank cage I user as a small bird hospital cage. Then I hurriedly wiped out an empty finch flight cage, and placed him/her into it, along with a peanut and a bowl of water. I put it in a cat-free area (my office waiting room) and after making sure on the internet that it was unlikely that I could get rabies from my new darling, who I will from now on refer to as "Calypso". Then I went back to sleep.

Today I did some reading on related critters somewhat related to squirrels, to try to figure out what I ought to feed, etc. Then I went to a pet store and purchased a bag of guinea pig pellets for young ones, a heavy bar of seeds and other stuff, also formulated for guinea pigs, and a bag of some clay litter stuff to see if Calypso can learn like a hamster, to only use one corner for toilet activities.

Then, I started looking up squirrel sites, and was quite surprised to see how much was available. Currently the food bowl has one raison, 3 pieces of strawberry, a sugar snap pea pod snapped in 2, and two peanuts in shells. Calypso was still curled up in the same corner of the cage. I lifted him/her out to place a loosely coiled tee-shirt in for a bed. Then I added a water bottle and a piece of choella wood (cactus) to chew on.

But I have a concern. I do not know how to judge the age of Calypso. S/he has a body size equivalent to a grown hamster. Initially I assumed this squirrel was a teenager, out on it's own, thus weaned. But after doing some reading here, and looking at some photos of young squirrels, I have a growing concern that Calypso may need to be hand fed.

I have some plastic syringes and also eye droppers, and could mix up some watery baby cereal. Or I could open the youth pellets I bought, and turn them to mush with some warm water. Tomorrow I will buy an apple and a pear. I certainly don't want this squirrel so starve. But s/he is likely asleep for the night already. Problem is, I won't be up until 10 or 11 a.m. due to my own health.

All opinions are welcome. I'm not sure how to weigh this critter unless I put him/her into a plastic food container to hold still on my bird's postage scale. I hesitate to do that tonight because this squirrel has been through enough trauma already in only about 18 hours. Thanks.

Squerly
10-22-2006, 07:08 PM
I have moved this thread to the Emergency Help Forum. I believe that your squirrel will need some antibiotics ASAP as cat bits (and even just cat saliva) can be life threatening to a squirrel. You need get this little guy to a vet or a rehabber quickly.

muffinsquirrel
10-22-2006, 07:57 PM
Hi, and Welcome. Is there any way you can post a picture of the squirrel? Do you know what kind of squirrel it is? From the size, it sounds like it might be a flyer. Flyers are small, have a short furred coat that feels like velvet, are a brown/greyish color, have a piece of furred skin that is attached from wrist to ankle for gliding, and are nocturnal. They have a flat tail, sort of like a feather. Greys and fox squirrels are larger, and longer than flyers. They have short fur, with a harsher feel. Greys usually have a white underside, while foxers usually have a golden reddish color. Both of these are active during the day

The cat situation is serious, as the saliva can be deadly to squirrels unless they are given antibiotics. Your best bet is going to be to find a rehabber near you. Squirrels are illegal in PA, I believe, so a rehabber is the only one that will be able to get the right treatment for it. I'm just so glad you were able to get to the squirrel before the cats harmed it.

Offer some pieces of peeled apple, and maybe half of a shelled pecan. Yogurt - I use Dannon LaCreme, usually vanilla or strawberry - is always good for them - it is a good source of calcium, and good for their tummy.

Good luck with your squirrel.You will find places on this board that will help you find a rehabber.

muffinsquirrel

Apple Corps
10-22-2006, 08:29 PM
SMZ, Baytrill and Clavomax are names of antibiotics that you need to get into your fuzzer quickly. Dosage is important - here are PA rehabbers:

http://pawr.com/

Move quickly.

lucky squirrel
10-22-2006, 08:51 PM
Oh geez, I didn't know the cat saliva was a problem!!! I have some Baytril in the house from my Eclectus. There is no way I can go out now to drive to a wildlife rehabber. I have some serious health issues, and my energy level is gone. I can look into emailing a local one if I can find them on the web.

It never occurred to me that Calypso is a flier. I didn't try to maneuvour his/her body to look for the extra fold of skin. The belly fur is an off white, ande there is a dark stripe that I'd noticed on what whoud be the edge of that flap, if it's there. I was surprised to see that coloration before I tucked the squirrel in for the night, a few hours ago. The tail description sounds accurate.

I'll use the url provided. Thanx.

lucky squirrel
10-22-2006, 09:14 PM
It took several tries, but I awakened a rehabber serveral counties awat from me. She said to figure the dosage out by the weight of the critter, but there is nothing on the label to indicate a scale. I need to find the paperwork from my parrot, and do some math, I guess. He 0.829 lbs. If anyone is waychiong this now, you could save me some research time for conversion charts to calculate to ounces or grams for the squirrel. Thanks.

Mrs. Jack
10-22-2006, 09:46 PM
http://www.onlineconversion.com/weight_common.htm is an online conversion table

lucky squirrel
10-22-2006, 09:59 PM
OMG, Calypso IS a flying squirrel!!! I got a really good look at him/her when I removed him/her from the cage to medicate w/ Baytril after the weighing and calculating. I've never seen one of them before! Are they a wild form of a sugar glider? I have heard of those.

Anyway, I need to administer .01cc along with some fruit juice to hide the taste twice a day for 14 days.

Thanks for all the help. I guess I'd better go over to the flying squirrel board, unless Calypso still qualifies me to be here. S/he seems to weigh 82 grams, or 2.4 ounces. That's a lot heavier than my green cheek conure, who tends to weigh in between 62 and 66 grams.

S/he placed two very shiny black truds in the plastic container I used for the weighing. I hope that's a sign of health.

I really hope that s/he turns out okay. There has been much too much death lately.

Mrs. Jack
10-22-2006, 10:00 PM
We have many who love, breed, own and have owned flying squirrels. You're more than qualified to be here, and we'd love to have you and to continue hearing about how Calypso is doing. :)

muffinsquirrel
10-22-2006, 11:08 PM
By all means, definately stay on this board, as well as on NFSA. Many of us post on both, and you will learn from both, as well as make good friends on both boards. I'm glad you were able to get in touch with a rehabber so quickly. You will fall in love with your flyer very quickly - they are wonderful little critters.

muffinsquirrel

Momma Squirrel
10-23-2006, 08:17 AM
How did Calypso do last night? Can you see signs of improvement? We love all squirrels, and yes there are alot of people here that have raised, had, and even breed flying squirrels. I agree with Muffinsquirrel, being on both boards can only be good for both of you and your flyer.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
10-23-2006, 08:44 AM
Thank goodness you had the Baytrill on hand that is 1/2 of the problem we find here is getting the meds somehow for the squirrels.
I'm hoping for the best!
Please keep us updated!

lucky squirrel
10-23-2006, 11:41 AM
I just checked in on Calypso. S/he was curled up into a custom re-arranged tee-shirt that I had coiled loosely on the cage floor. This furball was much more relaxed than last night. I mixed the .01cc of Baytril with several ccs of coconut juice (not the sugary drink mix, but a healthfood store juice.)

Very little of last night's food was barely nibbled on, and two more little poops were melted from the juice of strawberry pieces. Mow that the bowl in washed out, I'll place some cantalope seeds, sunflower seeds in shells, dried papaya, dried carrot, and bee pollen into the cage. Towards evening I'll add some fresh foods.

I'm thinking I ought to up-end the cage at twilight, and put a long milti-branch manzita perch into it to serve aa a skinny tree. That will only allow about a square foot of ground space, but I guess that will be enough if I use a hanging food bowl. I'm already using a hanging water bottle, but it does have the little ball in the tip.

I wish I hadn't given away a small fluffy hanging pup-tent thingy for birds. That would have been a perfect sleeping place for Calypso. I wsuppose I could make one for him/her.

I don't know yet if I will free or keep Calypso. Last night I read a comment about letting the squirrel make the decision. Judging by the photos I looked at to guage age, s/he is at least 3 months old, if not full grown. I'm pretty sure that an adult would want to be freed.

It is good for Calypso that I already had some Baytril, but not good for my parrot who died a month ago tomorrow. But I suppose that is something good coming out of something awful.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
10-23-2006, 11:58 AM
I am so sorry about your parrot, I got my squirrles after losing my kitty of 18 years. Rippie Boy & Little Girl made such an impression in my heart, I knew I would love squirrels forever.
After just having swore off pets as its breaks your heart when you lose them.
I bet your little one there was sent to do the same work that mine were sent to me to do. They can mend a heart in a jiffy, continued good luck wishes!

Gabe
10-23-2006, 12:41 PM
I use little baby knit hats that tie under the chin. You can tie them to hang from the top of the cage. I bet she would like that to sleep in.

Momma Squirrel
10-23-2006, 12:42 PM
As Calypso settles in and gets more familiar with his/her surrounding things will probably change alot. In keeping a flyer keep in mind they require alot of patience and special needs due to their size and that they are nocternal (sp) up at night. Keep us posted on the progress. Good luck

lucky squirrel
10-23-2006, 05:40 PM
I had hamsters as a kid, even bred them. Calypso was snuggly in a very similar way with me about an hour ago. This furball is awful cute!!

The idea of a baby hat seems perfect!! I had cut part of the tee-shirt off, and wedged in into several branch V's. Unless Calypso jumps into it with great force, it out to support his weight, at least for one night.

I hope Calypso eats more food tonight. I'll add the fresh stuff shortly; there is already a new mixture of seeds and nuts in there.

Holly

lucky squirrel
10-23-2006, 10:14 PM
I just got nipped twice trying to give Calypso his/her medication. The furball didn't want to come out of the cage, and actually got away from me with each little bite, so I ended up doing a variation of what I'd call toweling with a frightened bird who needs medication.

Should I figure the avoidance and fear aggression is an indication of Calypso feeling better? I seems sad to blow the trust we have started to develop, but s/he needs to be medicated about every 12 hours. I don't have the time to sit and talk for long periods of time before picking up my lil fuzz to administer the medication.

Feedback would be helpful.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
10-24-2006, 06:56 AM
He needs the medication first and foremost no matter if he hates you for it. Pleanty of time for love & trust later.

susanw
10-24-2006, 03:53 PM
Wrap him in a towel or washcloth so just his face is showing and give him the meds is the best method I have found. Do you plan on releasing him when he is better? You could make him a hammock by pining each corner of a hand towel to the top of his cage.

muffinsquirrel
10-25-2006, 12:15 AM
You could make him a hammock by pining each corner of a hand towel to the top of his cage.

Please, not with towels of any sort - their little toes can get caught in the loops and injure them badly. Fleece is best. It's soft and warm, doesn't need hemming, doesn't ravel or fray. and you can just throw it in the washer and dryer. You can get it at walmart fabrics fairly cheaply - you could probably make 2 or 3 hammock sized pieces from half a yard of fleece. I use the old cheap shower curtain rings (the kind that are all metal, with no decorations) to hang things with. I often cut a good sized square of fleece, poke a hole in each corner, run a shower ring through all the holes, and hang it from the top of the cage. It makes a little pouch or bag type thing. I put some 100% cotton balls in it for bedding, and they all love it - flyers, foxers and greys.

muffinsquirrel

Gabe
10-25-2006, 05:47 AM
oh Muffinsquirrel, I never thought of cottonballs! Just picturing them curled up in cottonballs made me smile this morning.

susanw
10-25-2006, 02:07 PM
Please, not with towels of any sort - their little toes can get caught in the loops and injure them badly. Fleece is best. It's soft and warm, doesn't need hemming, doesn't ravel or fray. and you can just throw it in the washer and dryer. You can get it at walmart fabrics fairly cheaply - you could probably make 2 or 3 hammock sized pieces from half a yard of fleece. I use the old cheap shower curtain rings (the kind that are all metal, with no decorations) to hang things with. I often cut a good sized square of fleece, poke a hole in each corner, run a shower ring through all the holes, and hang it from the top of the cage. It makes a little pouch or bag type thing. I put some 100% cotton balls in it for bedding, and they all love it - flyers, foxers and greys.

muffinsquirrel

We have used the towels for all our squirrels, which right now is 28. We also use it on the raccons and possums at the wildlife haven and have been doing so for 25 years without a problem. We do cut off all loose strings. Since he had stated that he has serious heath issues and can't get out I thought it was a solution for him.

lucky squirrel
10-25-2006, 07:34 PM
Hmmm, I appear to have presented some misconceptions. I'm actually a her, not a him. :rotfl Aned my health issues don't keep me housebound, just mean that I limit how much I do so that my energy level doesn't crash, and other annoying symptoms don't kick in. I have been over-doing, and am paying for it with headaches the last few days. I look like a youthful 55, but my body acts and feels 20-25 years older much of the time.

Calypso is doing fine. S/he is a real sweetheart. I am struggling with the only appropriate longterm plan. Once the medication is done, I will need to release my furball. I start to cry every time I try to write this, but my three cats are very good hunters. one of the 2 newer ones murdered my wonderful budgie not long after I adopted them in the spring. They are highly praised by me every time they catch a mouse in my rural home, even though I feel a bit sad for the critter. Although I could keep Calypso in a lager cage in my office waiting room, there is no safe place to let him/her out to run because my home and office are in a small old stone barn. S/he'd be happier back in the woods.

Maybe I'd be smarted to take Calypso to a rehab so I don't get even more attached. The medication is supposed to be administered for 14 days, and it's only been 3 so far.

Would anyone like to swap me for a ground squirrel? :secret The nocturnal aspect of the fliers is a problem as far as keeping a squirrel in the house because of the cats. )A client already threatened tonight to turn me in, so the waiting room isn't a very good spot.) And I think I read that the flyers are more social. I'd love to be able to keep a squirrel as a pet.

slim
11-01-2006, 11:11 AM
shutup

island rehabber
11-01-2006, 11:13 AM
shutup

Slim, sweetheart, you're outta here.

Mrs. Jack
11-01-2006, 11:19 AM
I think maybe... if you have three hunting cats, that a squirrel wouldn't be a good pet in your home :/ much as you do seem to love them. I'd also consider taking Calypso elsewhere for release, because if she thinks of your home as 'safe' she might return there and get got by the cats.

AnimalLvr
11-02-2006, 06:30 PM
I'm glad she seems to be doing well, I do think it best for her to be realeased, but I don't know her personally, however if it illegal to keep squirrels and since there are cats that seem to want to eat her then it would probably be best to release her somewhere safe away from your place. I also didn't see that anyone had answered your question, nor did I know if you found the answer as to if a flying squirrel was like a wild sugar glider. They are not related even. Sugar gliders are marsupials from rainforests, can remember what country, flying squirrels are actually squirrels that as I'm sure you know live in many places across America. They are forest dwellers, basically just tree dwellers. Many people get the two critters confused, just thought I'd clear that up if you hadn't found the answer.
I hope to some day after I'm out of college to own a southern flying squirrel (from a breeder, not wild caught) I have wanted one for about 3 years now, I'm on the NFSA forum too. Great people with lots of info.

Timber
11-02-2006, 10:10 PM
Sugar Gliders are in the 'possum family and they are native to Australia.

zippy96444
11-08-2006, 03:26 PM
Your flyer deserves to be outside where it was born to be. It is a wild animal and would be happier with friends of its own kind. It must of gotten into your house by mistake. Trust me, it WANTS outside. Now, if you got a baby that hadn't ever been outside, that could be a different story. Please get it to a rehabber and let them release it. It needs friends of its kind to be released with. A rehabber will know best about release. I am a squirrel rehabber in Ohio. It iws so good of you to take care of this flyer. A lot of people would of been afraid and kill it. You have a kind heart! Thanks!