PDA

View Full Version : Grey Squirrel Cage Question

jessicalyn
04-12-2010, 08:08 PM
Hi everyone I am new to TSB although I have been an avid reader for months. I have a question when we move our lol "Punkin"to a larger cage we found off a rescue sight that "ferret nation" cage provided enough space. Now it has plastic inserts on both levels, the bottom level I cover with a comfortable blanket and the second level is coved as well we did not want her to chew up the inserts, but I am now aware the spacing should be 1/2", not the 1", and I do not want her to attempt to chew the bars ( although we spoil her with chew toys) To be a safe mom ( I treat her like she is one of my kids) should I buy another cage or can I have my husband possible wrap it in the correct 1/2" wire needed?? She does not attempt to eat the bars (she is 5 mths old) but I have read that the spaceing could hurt her teeth so now I am a lil nervous.. Any ideas???

Nancy in New York
04-12-2010, 08:23 PM
I have a little red that we put the hardware cloth around and it works perfect...I will look for a photo to show you what I mean...

http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv95/nancym518/IMG_1937.jpg
We didn't put it were the door closed because it interferred with it closing and had some sharp points on it...but it's perfect...Oh course Jeffrey is never in his cage though....:rotfl
http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv95/nancym518/IMG_1942.jpg

jessicalyn
04-13-2010, 07:59 AM
Thank You Nancy, what did you use to attach it? and I am taking it you wrapped the out side of the cage, right? Also I love the hammock cube, when ever we "hang anything , Punkin chews it down, lol, so she now has a soft bed area. Any good suggestions for toys? I see You have a salt wheel, I was worried she would chew it all up at once, should I try one? I also wanted to get a branch for her, although we use the store bought "perches" I am skeptical here in Fl just getting one from outside, since I do not know if the tree has been fertilized? If you know of any good web sites I can order safe branches from, I would love to know.. Thanks again:)

Jackie in Tampa
04-13-2010, 08:17 AM
:Welcome :wave123
Feed stores carry pliers and bands to fasten cage wire, you must buy both.
There are two types of fasteners , one being a round thick wire material and the other is a flat band of metal.
The pliers/crimps must match the one you choose.
Also TRactor Supply carries these items...some Ace Hardwares also.
Home Depot and Lowes do not, or at least not the ones I have ck'ed.
Yes the hardward cloth [wire mesh] is installed on the outside of cage.
Sand paper/grind off the rough edges where Hcloth has been trimmed, it can get sharp!
I do not use a salt wheel at all...not sure why some members do:dono .
A wooden nestbox for small birds/finches {Petco $10} can be attached inside cage for a home since your sq chews...
I have a little chewer myself and refuse to mend her cubie ever again:nono ...she is a pirranha!
Welcome to TSB!
:poke Where's your pics...we love new members and their pics...so where are yours!!!!!:D
:worthless

Anne
04-13-2010, 09:14 AM
Yep, gotta have those Pictures. I think it's a rule :jump !
I wouldn't worry about branches from large trees, I don't think anyone is going to spray a huge Live Oak, etc:) And if you do have a chewer branches will need to be replaced very often. The real bark is a favorite to strip and chew. I have come across a few Parrot cages that have 1x1 wire spacing. I have only had "wilding up" squirrels get their teeth on the bars, but way better safe than sorry. Damage from wire mesh came be horrendous.
Good info on cage wire, building, etc in the Stuff or sale, trade section right now.
:Welcome :Welcome To TSB:jump

Nancy in New York
04-13-2010, 10:59 AM
:D
Feed stores carry pliers and bands to fasten cage wire, you must buy both.
There are two types of fasteners , one being a round thick wire material and the other is a flat band of metal.
The pliers/crimps must match the one you choose.
Also TRactor Supply carries these items...some Ace Hardwares also.
Home Depot and Lowes do not, or at least not the ones I have ck'ed.
Yes the hardward cloth [wire mesh] is installed on the outside of cage.
Sand paper/grind off the rough edges where Hcloth has been trimmed, it can get sharp!
I do not use a salt wheel at all...not sure why some members do:dono .
A wooden nestbox for small birds/finches {Petco $10} can be attached inside cage for a home since your sq chews...
I have a little chewer myself and refuse to mend her cubie ever again:nono ...she is a pirranha!
Welcome to TSB!
:poke Where's your pics...we love new members and their pics...so where are yours!!!!!:D
:worthless

The "salt wheel" is actually a mineral wheel that I heard was good for them...he smelled it...........once....:rotfl :rotfl
I will be back later with some sites for you with some toy ideas...:grouphug

I couldn't find what I was looking for and am in a hurry so I just copied and pasted...thanks 4S....
Can you tell me what type of trees are squirrel safe? I want to provide some fresh branches for my Boo to gnaw on.

Also, I know they can have pine cones ... can they have the baby pines cones that are just forming on the pine tree limbs?

Thanks in advance.

I am forever learning.

Oak, maple, fruit trees (except cherry), hickory, walnut, poplar, magnolia, pine, fir, spruce (no juniper), palms (except cycads--deadly poison). These are just a few.

Baby pine cones are fine.

Jackie in Tampa
04-13-2010, 11:13 AM
Nancy...no offense on the mineral wheel...I just do not really know anything about them...salt or mineral...I have never used them...
I did buy one 5 years ago and it still looks new..:dono

Nancy in New York
04-13-2010, 11:19 AM
Nancy...no offense on the mineral wheel...I just do not really know anything about them...salt or mineral...I have never used them...
I did buy one 5 years ago and it still looks new..:dono
Oh Jackie...I didn't take offense, actually I also had a salt one, and then learned that is an absolute no no...these may be too. I put it in, and never took it out...but I will fix that right now. You know if you put your tongue on it, it's very salty...so that can't be too good...:nono (oh not that I put my tongue on it though....:shakehead)

jessicalyn
04-14-2010, 09:11 AM
You guys are great, thanks so much.. I am gonna have to have my husband lokk into the wire mesh/ cage material from the websites people posted, there are several material types and then the size, I am writing down what I get off TSB, so we can figure this out.. Again thanks..