PDA

View Full Version : Pet Squirrel repercussions?

LoveAllLiving
04-11-2010, 12:48 PM
Hello all :) I'm here for advice and some hard hitting facts. Here's my story:

My boyfriend and I have a long time affinity for squirrels. But recently, it escalated to him wanting a pet squirrel. They are so adorable and funny, but I'm not crazy about the idea of holding a wild animal captive. The same reason I feel bad for caged birds. I love all animals wild and domestic and only want what's best for them.

I've been researching for a week now on rules and regulations. As I've read in this forum, PA is harsh when it comes to wildlife. I have emailed the W. Pa. Wildlife Rehab. about the matter, but have not yet received a reply.

On this forum the buying and selling of squirrels other than the flyer type is not condoned right? However, I noticed that most of you have ground squirrels. Are you all rehabbers?

This all started when he met a couple different people who successfully have a squirrel for a pet. In both cases they found them as babies abandoned, raised them, and kept them as a pet.

Breeding animals for profit is wrong, but I wouldn't be opposed to adopting a squirrel in need of a home.

I'm not sure I'm going to be able to talk him out of this one. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks and take care :)

Squiz
04-11-2010, 02:36 PM
Hey :)

Yeah i have exactly the same problem, i'm guessing its better to get a red squirrel which would love but how do you 'find' them? You dont want to accidentally take a baby from its mother do you? also would cats be a problem? i would hate for my squirrel (if i got one) to be attacked by a cat.

Please tell me if you manage to find an adoption place or any rules or just anything that might help :D thanks.

TinyPaws
04-11-2010, 03:32 PM
It is true that your state is an illegal state for owning or keeping wildlife unless you are a licenced rehabber...

The problems you can encounter are.....no vets available to you should the squirrel get sick...and taking the squirrel to one may most likely result in them taking the squirrel from you....so if the squirrel gets sick and needs medical attention and medications, how do you plan to handle this?

If someone reports you for having a squirrel, the wildlife people will come to your house and take your squirrel and euthenize the poor thing....

Do you really want to put the squirrels life at risk because you want one? In this case, your boyfriend.......

Most of the owned squirrels you see or have read about are non releasable for various reasons...and if set free, would not be able to make it as a wild squirrel and would die...

Squirrels can be very distructive...they love to chew...they also need a proper healthy diet that consists of a variety of fresh fruits and vegies, waxworms or mealworms, Henry's Blocks....nuts are not a diet for squirrels, only an occassional treat...

They need a large enclosure for when they are not running about the house...and they do need daily time out of the cage to run, jump and play...
Some squirrels tend to wildup when they reach a certain age and will begin to bite their caregivers...They also mostly take to one person and will bite anyone else that goes near them or the person they are attached to....

These are just a few things to consider....

:Welcome to TSB....there is endless information available to you and your boyfriend about squirrels here on tsb...I would encourage your boyfriend to read up on them....

mugzeezma
04-11-2010, 04:38 PM
I can't tell you about PA but in Illinois you can be fined $1500 dollars , the squirrel is confiscated and if the squirrel is at all social (towards humans) or has any disability and cannot be released within 120 days it WILL be euthanized. I would imagine the laws are quite similar in PA.
Some of the more senior members here are state licensed rehabbers. Acquiring a license in Illinois is no simple task. Appropriate holding facilities and release areas have to be inspected and proven along with testing and letters of reference from a wildlife veterinarian as well as another licensed rehabber.
As far as "accidentally" obtaining a baby from it's nest, beyond being cruel and unethical, be aware that squirrels are not fully weaned for up to 4 months of age. The first couple of months they have to warm and be fed AROUND clock with formula that is specific for squirrels, They are HIGHLY social, complex animals not to be mistaken for the low maintenance of a hamster. Squirrels DEMAND huge doses of attention and a varied diet.
If you live in an illegal state veterinary care is unobtainable... period. The vet stands to lose their license for treating an animal held by an unlicensed individual. Watching your baby in pain and not having any resource is heartwrenching. A lot of things can happen to them in captivity that you would not even think about.
Taking on a tree squirrel is a very serious undertaking.
make no mistake...THEY ARE WILD ANIMALS
You can reach an understanding but they will remain wild.

At this point in my life I am home most of the day and Mugzi is free in the house when I am there.
He is very bonded to myself and the kids because we are all he knows. He is almost always in the same room with someone by his choice.
Mugzi is a wonderful companion and an incredlble force of nature. This morning he broke my 4th coffee pot. H has tried to get at the tequila, torn the corks of f of wine bottles, he shredded a heads of garlic and knocked everything out of my spice cabinet trying to find the avocados. I have yet to keep tomatoes and bananas until they ripen. Mugzi has been closed up in the refrigerator by accident and quickly found thankfully. He has destroyed 3 WII nunchucks 4 chargers, peed and hid nuts in my printer, chewed the pullchords off of my drapes, and torn up all of the doors and moulding, anything new that comes into the house house gets peed on. He does all of these thing at lightening speed. By the time you catch him it's to late.
Mugzi has no qualms about jumping on or running up the legs of any person or animal. If they are not his family though, they are bitten.
He has a fairly large cage with a nest box but that is only for when he cannot be watched.
If you can't let the squirrel out of it cage frequently you shouldn't have a squirrel.
A tree squirrel can DESTROY your house. They are sport chewers and they are smart. There is nowhere in your house they can not get into given time.
their claws are very sharp and they can be aggressive.
Think about it.
A squirrel can bite through a walnut.
When frightened they can inflict some very nasty bites and scratches and squirrels , because they are wild animals, are skittish by nature.

Tree squirrels are notoriously picky eaters and expensive to feed. They live a long time, I have seen reports of 18 to 20+ years. The become very attached and territorial to their family.
Mugzi is also the sweetest cuddliest most playful creature I have ever known. My life has not been the same and I wouldn't trade it.
Just realize that there are BIG caveats to owning a tree squirrel.

Hannah
04-11-2010, 06:24 PM
I have no experience with captive squirrels, but there was a time when I didn't know much about squirrels that I though a pet squirrel might be nice.

I don't think a tree squirrel would generally make a good pet, and I don't have the accommodations for any sort of pet now, but I've found with patience and time, wild squirrels will let you get very close, and you can watch their behavior. To me, a wild squirrel doing what they were "designed" to do is much more interesting than the behavior of a captive squirrel. Perhaps your boyfriend could make some wild "friends," if a pet squirrel doesn't work out.

SquirrelsinSingapore
11-15-2010, 03:51 PM
Ime, a wild squirrel doing what they were "designed" to do is much more interesting than the behavior of a captive squirrel. Perhaps your boyfriend could make some wild "friends," if a pet squirrel doesn't work out.

And I so agree with peter.
If its staying in cage all day, then it will be sad. Unless you can have somebody whom loves squirrels as much like you do to be home all day or most of time:tilt

LMoS
11-19-2010, 01:02 PM
I raised both a Female and a Male, personally I would recommend staying away from trying to keep a female as a companion but that's just me :) Nursing a baby was one of the hardest things i've ever done since I did it alone. You have to feed them every 4 hours around the clock... Luckily they grow up fast cause it REALLY takes it toll on you. I think most people are attracted to wanting a squirrel because of their loyalty "bonding" and the loving affection they display that i've never seen in other animals, dogs sure... but noooooot quite like a squirrel's bond :) If you do get a female though, i think it's safe to say it will only like one person and anyone else who comes around you is viewed as a threat and attacked. mine was very vicious towards my wife especially and once she became an adult and made her nest, she quickly grew distant and preoccupied. rarely cuddled or showed any affection. Sadly I had to release her and never can say weather or not this could of been temporary since I never got the chance to find out. From what i've read here though... this kind of behavior seems to be the norm for females.

My little Zosi that's with me now is completely different from my female and personally is exactly what inspired me to ever want one in the first place.

If your like me and give your squirrel free reign of the house "no cages" and I share my bed with him, Sure there is having to wash my sheets/pillows every other day, waking up sometimes with poop smeared on my chest, laying in pee... but I wouldnt have it any other way, I LOVE how he always cuddles with me, not picking him up and placing him and he stays but he comes to me and cuddles, if he gets up to eat/drink... he comes right back! god its all worth it to me! ;) I would say the most trouble/worrysome thing for me is their habit to chew on electrical cords, I bought a very bitter spray that I have to put on all of them and anything else you dont want them munching on. It helps tremendously but **** still happens. sometimes things get broke on accident like with any pet. If you have a nice LCD monitor/tv be VERY careful to cover it, Neither of my squirrels ever damaged one but I was always paranoid about it and took steps to avoid it. well I cant really complain about much else. they tend to poop alot but they are normally very solid and easy to broom up.

I think most people here got their squirrels the same way I did, through rescues then fall in love with them, female or male never being a choice. I don't know how it would work actually buying one or getting one through a rescue agency as a rehabber. and wild caught adults can never be tamed. Sadly I imagine there are people who got theirs by raiding a nest for a baby.

Anyhow I wish you the best. Hope I was some help.

virgo062
11-19-2010, 01:18 PM
They are so adorable and funny, but I'm not crazy about the idea of holding a wild animal captive. The same reason I feel bad for caged birds. I love all animals wild and domestic and only want what's best for them.

You sound like a very smart person:thumbsup Here is my advice....PLEASE don't do it....Be very patient and hand raise a orphaned baby first I think you will change your mind....I've had Knothead for 15 long months even thought I love him dearly it breaks my heart to see him watching the other squirrels outside...I KNOW Knothead would rather be with his own kind. Sadly he is not releaseable and will never know what it's like to climb a tree or play with another squirrel...He is a lot of trouble and very expensive to keep up. When I get home from work before I can do anything else I have to spend time with Knothead. On weekends I play with him in between house work because of the guilt I have...I know it's not my fault but I do feel guilty... When a squirrel wilds up they are no longer "fun" and if you have treated them as a pet the chances of releasing them are very slim. I can't count the number of times people have asked a rehabber to take on a strange squirrel because it had been a pet but all of a sudden......You get the idea? Most of the time these squirrels must live a life of misery locked in a cage because someone didn't research (as you are doing) before they took on a squirrel...Hey, I know it's a cool thing to be able to say...I have a pet squirrel...but it's NOT COOL for the squirrel....Never take anything from the wild and try to tame it...Squirrels can't be tamed....So buy him a ferret they are cool too and a lot more fun:thumbsup

LMoS
11-19-2010, 02:44 PM
You sound like a very smart person:thumbsup Here is my advice....PLEASE don't do it....Be very patient and hand raise a orphaned baby first I think you will change your mind....I've had Knothead for 15 long months even thought I love him dearly it breaks my heart to see him watching the other squirrels outside...I KNOW Knothead would rather be with his own kind. Sadly he is not releaseable and will never know what it's like to climb a tree or play with another squirrel...He is a lot of trouble and very expensive to keep up. When I get home from work before I can do anything else I have to spend time with Knothead. On weekends I play with him in between house work because of the guilt I have...I know it's not my fault but I do feel guilty... When a squirrel wilds up they are no longer "fun" and if you have treated them as a pet the chances of releasing them are very slim. I can't count the number of times people have asked a rehabber to take on a strange squirrel because it had been a pet but all of a sudden......You get the idea? Most of the time these squirrels must live a life of misery locked in a cage because someone didn't research (as you are doing) before they took on a squirrel...Hey, I know it's a cool thing to be able to say...I have a pet squirrel...but it's NOT COOL for the squirrel....Never take anything from the wild and try to tame it...Squirrels can't be tamed....So buy him a ferret they are cool too and a lot more fun:thumbsup

I think just about every animal kept indoors is missing out on those things, birds not free soar the skies etc... I totally agree that Squirrels are not like cats and dogs "the normal pet". I've never even considered them as pets but as companions. I like to believe they stay with me because they want too. The idea of my baby being unhappy and depressed puts knots in my guts... Thankfully I know my Zosi is very happy with his life and although he doesnt know what he's missing out on, I do and think of the same things when I see other Squirrels running about outside... I try to do everything I can to ensure his happiness...which is why he has no cage, free to sleep with me and I take him out alot trying to get him comfortable outside and free to run/climb... I imagine how difficult it is working full-time... I feel bad just leaving him alone for an hour, especially when they spend every second of their time with you. If I was not in the position to work from home, I don't know what I would do... I should of mentioned this in my reply earlier. I'm relatively new at raising Squirrels compared to a lot of people here but one of the first things I learned is that these are not the leave at home kind of animals and they require a massive portion of your life to be devoted to them, much like a new born baby. Another thing I hadn't considered is your states laws which sounds pretty strict.

gosh this poor girl is probably so discouraged now thanks to us, lol. rly not intention tho... I just want her know what its gonna take is all.

virgo062
11-19-2010, 02:55 PM
gosh this poor girl is probably so discouraged now thanks to us, lol. rly not intention tho... I just want her know what its gonna take is all.

Just telling it like it is.....The truth shal set you free:thumbsup

Lulu2010
11-19-2010, 03:14 PM
The first squirrel I ever raised, I thought I could make her a "pet". We had her until she was 1 and she tore up everything in our apartment including ALL of our brand new furniture. She was my best friend and we spent so much time together. I'd take her outside to play all the time. I realized I could never make her as happy as she would be if she was free when she climbed her first tree. She ran all the way to the top and on her way back to me, she stopped at every branch to check it out. I'd never seen her so happy. That was when I began to face the hardest decision of my life. I called a local rehabber to prepare her for release. She was released on their property where there are no busy roads and nearly an endless supply of trees. I still think about her and pray that she's still out their safe and happy. They truly do long for freedom.

lilidukes
11-19-2010, 03:16 PM
Hello all :) I'm here for advice and some hard hitting facts. Here's my story:

My boyfriend and I have a long time affinity for squirrels. But recently, it escalated to him wanting a pet squirrel. They are so adorable and funny, but I'm not crazy about the idea of holding a wild animal captive. The same reason I feel bad for caged birds. I love all animals wild and domestic and only want what's best for them.

I've been researching for a week now on rules and regulations. As I've read in this forum, PA is harsh when it comes to wildlife. I have emailed the W. Pa. Wildlife Rehab. about the matter, but have not yet received a reply.

On this forum the buying and selling of squirrels other than the flyer type is not condoned right? However, I noticed that most of you have ground squirrels. Are you all rehabbers?

This all started when he met a couple different people who successfully have a squirrel for a pet. In both cases they found them as babies abandoned, raised them, and kept them as a pet.

Breeding animals for profit is wrong, but I wouldn't be opposed to adopting a squirrel in need of a home.

I'm not sure I'm going to be able to talk him out of this one. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks and take care :)

IMO If you are meant to have a squirrel a squirrel will find you. They turn your whole world upside down. A squirrel(s) rules and allows us to pay the bills. You don't just choose to keep a squirrel a pet they need to decide. Almost all want to be FREE in the trees where they belong.
My advice to you is to educate yourself about squirrels, find a vet willing to assist you. And in time a squirrel will find you or maybe you can find a non-releasable needing a forever home. If you don't have a vet willing to assist in an illegal state think about what you are going to do when you do need one and you will.
Just food for thought.:tilt

SquirrelsinSingapore
11-22-2010, 07:05 AM
II would say the most trouble/worrysome thing for me is their habit to chew on electrical cords, I bought a very bitter spray that I have to put on all of them and anything else you dont want them munching on. It helps tremendously but **** still happens. sometimes things get broke on accident like with any pet. If you have a nice LCD monitor/tv be VERY careful to cover

Hey a bitter spray on cords? thats something new.
And thanks for the useful info too

:ali_abduct

LMoS
11-25-2010, 04:56 PM
Hey a bitter spray on cords? thats something new.
And thanks for the useful info too

:ali_abduct

Any local PetSmart/Petco stores in your area? They are marketed for stopping dogs from chewing but it works on Squirrels just as well...

then there is the ghetto method...

Goto walmart and buy a can of Dust-Off, They have a VERY bitter "huffing deterent", Just turn the can upside down so the very cold liquid gas sprays out onto the cords.

SquirrelsinSingapore
12-12-2010, 05:07 AM
Unfortunately i live in high rised housing estate with many cords and windows and shared corridors. I'm not sure how it will work and raising squirrel is illegal practise where i live. I am limited to squirrel watching at the park near my area. Feed them nice things too. =)

For me the mere sight of squirrels hopping from one branch to another is pure joy