PDA

View Full Version : Hi everyone, and thanks for the help!

dianneS
04-07-2010, 07:28 PM
I started out with an "emergency" thread, but since that is all over I thought I would introduce myself!

I actually thought when I found this forum "how many squirrel lovers could there possibly be out there?" I figured it would be days before my posts would be answered. I was so pleased at the prompt responses and all the help I got as well as finding out how active this forum is!

I would never have called myself a "squirrel lover", but I love all animals and have always liked squirrels. My husband thinks they are really cool!

I live on a 14 acre farmette with two horses, 8 (soon to be 10 rescued goats) three cats and two dogs. Oh no, I mean three dogs! I forgot the livestock guardian dog that lives with the goats. He keeps predators away from our goats and chickens in a more humane manner (no poison, traps or shooting the predators) Oh yeah, and I have about 35 or so chickens I think??

I know some of you have squirrels as pets, and as tempting as it is, I won't be having any as pets. I was hoping for the best with the little one I found recently, but had hoped to return him to the wild had he survived.

I think I will be setting up some squirrel feeders now! I am lucky enough to have space for everyone to cohabitate in harmony. I have to say when I lived in the city, the squirrels made it impossible for me to put in a garden of any kind. They also destroyed my bird feeders. We even had some living in our attic. Now, we have so much space that I don't have any issues with the squirrels at all, even though we have plenty of them around.

I really appreciate the information I got on here. In case I come across another orphaned or injured baby, I will know what to do!

I'd like to find out more about feeding and observing wild squirrels and it seems like this site will be a good resource!

4skwerlz
04-07-2010, 08:41 PM
:Welcome We're always happy to have another animal lover onboard! Squirrels are fascinating to watch. I started out many years ago with bird feeders, and of course the squirrels raided them. I spent months trying to outwit them....then finally figured out that the squirrels were a lot more fun to watch than the birds. The rest is history! :D

We'd love to see some pics of your place and your critters.:)

(Sorry, again, for what happened with the little baby.... you tried really hard.)

island rehabber
04-07-2010, 08:54 PM
:wave123dianneS! I am so glad you're staying with us. There is so much info here on squirrels, on other critters, on life in general. We have waaay too much fun and this place is addictive. One look at the Mt. Everest of laundry overflowing my hamper will attest to that.....:osnap :tilt

Ultra Peepi
04-10-2010, 04:11 PM
:Welcome :wave123