PDA

View Full Version : physical therapy suggestions?

Critter_Queen
10-20-2006, 10:49 AM
So, if you read the update I posted under Chet's thread, Chet's leg break set very nicely, he's using the leg well already...everything's looking really good there...

But Hope is a different story. Her break didn't heal as well, she doesn't really want to use her leg (though I did see her use it to scratch an itch this morning...bet THAT felt good :thumbsup ) and she seems more reserved than she did with the splint on in general.

I'm sure that having a tape-splint removed was traumatic for them (their leg that had the splint is nearly fur-less now) so I'm hoping that Hope's issues stem from that and weak muscles...and not pain or a deeper problem.

I'm in need of some physical therapy ideas folks. Will holding her in my lap and just moving the leg up and down help? How long should I wait before moving them all into a larger cage? The one they are in now is 18"high x 18" deep x 30" wide. Enough room for them to climb small branches, have a hammock and bedding under it on the cage bottom for sleeping/hiding, and have potty and food/water spots, too. The next size up cage I have is 36"high x 18"deep x 30"wide, is that too big for her for now???

Thanks in advance for any advice. :D

Somebody's Mother
10-20-2006, 11:28 AM
i imagine that holding her on your lap and moving the leg, as long as it doesn't seem to cause her any pain, would be good. that way the joint doesn't stiffen up on her. i wonder if climbing would force her to use the leg?
i know about that surgical tape. ouch!! i wonder why he didn't shave the legs before he added the splints?

Plumqik
10-20-2006, 11:33 AM
One idea to try for physical therapy is to get the Ziplock freezer bags and 3/4 fill one with warm water, cover with a towel and hold Hope upright with her hind legs on the towel covered baggie. This will giver her some gentle resistance and is not as forceful as handling her leg. Make her shift her weight from leg to leg or push the water from side to side with your hand and make the area either higher or lower. The towel will give her some grip and protect the baggie from her little claws.
Animals are amazing in they are not taught a learned theshold of pain as we are (when you are little and fall down your level of screaming and crying is somewhat based on the amount of attention and pity you received from adults/caregivers). Given that, animals will often use a limb that we would otherwise not due to their perception of pain is based solely on the discomfort level. She will use the leg as she needs it when it is comfortable (like her scratching)-also besides the muscles been weaker sometimes there is a lessening of sensation (temporary) in the extremity and she will favor it until the sensations all return to normal. Some gentle rubbing of her foot pads may help there-its like the limb has "gone to sleep" and tingles.
Hope this helps! Cheryl:thumbsup

Critter_Queen
10-20-2006, 12:06 PM
:thumbsup Very helpful suggestions! Thanks!

I'm thinking the vet didn't shave the legs first because then we would probably have had new hair growth anyway and then the skin would likely be raw or torn when we removed the tape...I think that's why anyway.

I will be working with her pretty extensively if she'll allow it. Rubbing her foot sounds like a good idea, too...

Thanks!

Gabe
10-20-2006, 01:05 PM
If you've ever had a cast... Some people can walk on their broken leg after a while when they have the cast on. When the cast comes off, they go back to crutches because it hurts!!! There is no support around that bone now. Very slowly increase activity. If you could start her on cage rest for a day or two it would help. Let her climb after she is bearing weight well and has had some good physical therapy for a few days. I like the ziploc bag idea.