PDA

View Full Version : Supplemental Heating

Courtney
03-22-2010, 10:27 AM
When do you stop using a heat source for your babies? How old do they have to be to regulate their own body temperature?

:D

Jackie in Tampa
03-22-2010, 10:49 AM
if it's a solo baby, i use a heating pad until about 7-8 weeks, and a rice buddy on the heating pad as a 'snuggle'....

Courtney
03-22-2010, 11:27 AM
Thank you!

I don't think Lint needs it anymore but I didn't want to stop using it until I was sure.

scoobysnack
03-22-2010, 11:52 AM
I'm not a big time rehabber. Only had a handful of them. I leave heat available for them until they seem to not wish to be on it. I have two that are 7 weeks (estimated could be a week either way) and they actively seek the heat. I leave the heating pad under part of the cage or container until they seem to be choosing to sleep away from it. My current two are definitely still seeking the heat as a preference. They may not need it but they sure do seem to like it. As long as a place is provided that is well away from the source I don't think it hurts to make it available.

That's just my worthless 2 cents on the subject. There are a lot of things they don't need that they seem to prefer.

Courtney
03-23-2010, 08:58 AM
Thank you for your input. :)

I may leave it available for a bit longer...he does seem to prefer it. I mostly wanted to make sure that it was no longer crucial for his survival, you know?