PDA

View Full Version : Time to Release?

Surria
03-19-2010, 02:23 PM
Hi there! It's been a while, I know. Drey and I and our menagerie of animals are doing well. Gidget, our little Grey MBD/Head Trauma case, seems to think it's time to leave the nest so to speak. Since she's been on the MBD Diet for months and hasn't had a relapse, I think she may be right. So now I come with many a question!

Are there any schematics or plans for a squirrel hutch that I can use to make her an outside cage?

How long does a squirrel need to be outside before the actual release? I thought that I heard a month of days outside/nights inside and a month of pure outside before opening the cage and doing a month of feedings. However I could be wrong.

Gidget is not really afraid of cats. She will charge at our cats if they get too close to her when she's eating her nuts but otherwise ignores them. Do you think this will be a problem when she's released?

We have three huge trees in our front yard and are set back from the road but we live very near a busy road and are one house away from an intersection... I'm concerned about the traffic and Gidget meeting it, if you know my meaning. (However, she doesn't like loud noises, maybe that's a plus.)

Do squirrels who have been in captivity still like their squirrel blocks? When she's released, should I still be leaving out the blocks for the little fuzz butt or is she going to shun them in favor of her new favorite wild treats?

As always, thanks for your time. This place is a godsend!

PBluejay2
03-19-2010, 03:45 PM
Hi there! It's been a while, I know. Drey and I and our menagerie of animals are doing well. Gidget, our little Grey MBD/Head Trauma case, seems to think it's time to leave the nest so to speak. Since she's been on the MBD Diet for months and hasn't had a relapse, I think she may be right. So now I come with many a question!

I don't think there's any hard evidence that once an MBD squirrel has been "cured" that it can't/shouldn't be released, even though it's been suggested that they are more prone to having issues with it again. However, there's no verifiable case (or otherwise) of a squirrel living in the wild developing MBD, at least that I know of.

Are there any schematics or plans for a squirrel hutch that I can use to make her an outside cage?

4x4x8 foot box covered in hardware cloth with a nest box and plenty of branches to practice on is sufficient.

How long does a squirrel need to be outside before the actual release? I thought that I heard a month of days outside/nights inside and a month of pure outside before opening the cage and doing a month of feedings. However I could be wrong.

Weather permitting, I move mine to their outside cage and leave them there for a month or so to get used to the sights and sounds of the outdoors before releasing. You need to have as little contact with her during this period so that she also develops a wariness of you (hard, I know).

Gidget is not really afraid of cats. She will charge at our cats if they get too close to her when she's eating her nuts but otherwise ignores them. Do you think this will be a problem when she's released?

That could be a problem. Do you have cats roaming the neighborhood? The wild squirrels will more or less teach her by alarming when they see a cat. Hopefully, she'll quickly figure out that they are to be feared.

We have three huge trees in our front yard and are set back from the road but we live very near a busy road and are one house away from an intersection... I'm concerned about the traffic and Gidget meeting it, if you know my meaning. (However, she doesn't like loud noises, maybe that's a plus.)

We all fear this, but squirrels are everywhere in suburban, even urban, areas, and most manage quite well. Certainly a lot of squirrels are killed by cars, but per capita I think their odds are pretty good that they won't be.

Do squirrels who have been in captivity still like their squirrel blocks? When she's released, should I still be leaving out the blocks for the little fuzz butt or is she going to shun them in favor of her new favorite wild treats?

Once you've released her, offer her the blocks for a while. She'll let you know. I put out dishes of veggies, fruits, and nuts for my releases, and they soon let me know there's not much on the tray they're interested in other than the nuts. They're finding their own goodies elsewhere.

As always, thanks for your time. This place is a godsend!

I hope some of this helps.

djarenspace9
03-19-2010, 04:56 PM
All good advice you got there! :thumbsup
I just sent my two grown males to an outdoor cage for soft release and I feel both anxious (for them) and excited (for them!).
When it's time, it's time! :poke

It will be hard and you will miss your baby but it's what's best in some cases.
It's always possible Gidget takes a look around and then decides it's cozier at home with mama.
You're just being wise to let her make that choice. :bowdown

Good luck and keep us posted!

Jackie in Tampa
03-20-2010, 06:27 AM
:wave123 Surria
you have been giv en good advise...I want to add that if the back yard has trees...and no dogs, away from the street is best place for release cage.
If you do not feed G in the front, maybe she won't want to go there as often...unless the trees in front are yummy....

Surria
05-03-2010, 11:44 AM
Thank you so much for the advice! Dreygan and I have gotten the cage started and will be starting the process soon. :)

Kelly Brady
05-04-2010, 10:01 AM
I love this D is so right, and BlueJ2 gives you such good advice. I structured my releases around all of the good advice.

I have released with a heavy heart and been overwhelmed with joy, and released and had them come back. Letting go is the hardest part, the rest is amazing.

The joy of watching their booties romp in the trees is priceless !!!!
And yes some may come back, I have one to prove that is true. Thats just fine too!!!!!:D

Good luck and enjoy the process.

martine4161
05-13-2010, 01:39 PM
Very good theory and nice advice about the baby squirrel and I would like to appreciate that most. Actually what should people can do in these kind of situations not known but now people can aware about the pet and can take best care for them.