PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on a soft release

djarenspace9
03-16-2010, 12:12 PM
I'm hoping to get advice from anyone that has soft release "older than usual" babies. My feeling is they need a bit longer to acclimate outdoors before release, since they have been conditioned for indoors longer.

I have found someone who can soft release two of my squirrels (2 male E. Gray, 8 months old). :wahoo She thinks after 1 week she can open the door to let them in/out until they stay out. I think they need longer time, unless they are showing signs of "let me out of here!" for some reason. Not sure what to expect. It's in central Florida...weather is good now and they will have food (seeds/nuts) available daily on this property and lots of trees.

Can anyone who's had a similar situation advise? I don't want to rush them, but I also don't want to be a clingy mother or to let them get so settled into the cage they don't want to leave it. The cage is really nice and very large (like the size of a garage). :D

virgo062
03-16-2010, 12:47 PM
With a nice cage like that and if they are not showing signs what's the hurry:) Enjoy them a little longer....

djarenspace9
03-16-2010, 01:19 PM
The cage is on someone else's property (I don't get to enjoy them anymore :shakehead) and they will need the cage soon to release some juveniles.

I don't want them rushed out but wondering if at that age they may adapt faster than say a 14-16 week old....

virgo062
03-16-2010, 01:37 PM
I think the squirrels age is not as important as their desire to be released. This is a tough one....for me:thinking I'm torn...Anyone else have any ideas?
Since they are not on your property and in a outside cage I guess they have had minimal contact with humans? I would not have a problem opening the door after a week some will disagree some say two - three weeks. As long as the door stays open if/when the boys want to come back. I've had squirrels take off like a bat out of hell and never look back and some that still come home to eat. All Squirrels are different...Sorry I'm not much help

djarenspace9
03-16-2010, 04:53 PM
:thumbsup Well I talked to the lady that's helping me with the release and we agreed on 2 to 2 1/2 weeks and unless we have any concerns we'll let them come out and explore and hopefully run wild! :poke
That seems more reasonable to me. :D