PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to worry?

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
10-17-2006, 06:09 PM
Preston found a ping pong ball thats been under my bed for ages and has eaten a couple bites out of it!?
Is this going to cause a problem:dono

Mrs. Jack
10-17-2006, 06:10 PM
Are you sure he's eaten it and not just chewed bits out and they're around?

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
10-17-2006, 06:12 PM
No I think he's eaten them he carried the ball in his purse and chewed it, theres no pieces to be found.
He may have also gotten ahold of one of the cats toy mice.
I swear these squirrrels will be the death of me.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
10-17-2006, 06:21 PM
How is it other squirrels have lots of nice little toys mine gets a hold of something and he destroys it!:nono

Gabe
10-17-2006, 06:54 PM
I'm sorry about your squirrel, but your e-mail made me smile, he sure sounds like a handful.
Gabe

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
10-17-2006, 07:08 PM
:hissyfit I wish I knew weither I need to worry before I went to bed, just so I know weither I need to be up all night. (Mrs Jack you know where I am coming from)

Mrs. Jack
10-17-2006, 07:22 PM
Yes, I do. And I'll be waiting for a report first thing in the a.m. that he's okay. but i really do think he's going to be okay. If he'd swallowed anything that'd hurt on the way down or get stuck, you'd know already. As long as he does his poops normal and doesn't act like he hurts, I think he'll be just fine.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
10-17-2006, 07:25 PM
can he get a blockage is my main concern?

Squerly
10-17-2006, 07:33 PM
I think he will be fine too. Bonnie (flying squirrel) lived in our bedroom for many years... munched on our TV, dresser, you name it. But never got sick. I really didn't like her doing it but what can you do? Anyway, she never really "ate" my TV, just chewed on it. And we didn’t always find a pile of sawdust next to the damage either. So I'm not sure what she did with the remains. But the point here is that I really don't think your squirrel would eat something so unappetizing as a plastic ball. Chew it up maybe, but I doubt he swallowed it.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
10-17-2006, 07:35 PM
:thankyou Squerly, maybe I can rest better now?

Squerly
10-17-2006, 07:39 PM
:thankyou Squerly, maybe I can rest better now?Your going to worry regardless of what we tell you. But I've seen my squirrels chew up stuff that would defy the imagination of most people. And then they went on to destroy something else! :shakehead

Somebody's Mother
10-17-2006, 08:05 PM
he hasn't been jumping back and forth across the net has he? and he isn't curled up on the ping pong paddle?
i agree with whomever said if he is still pooping and if he isn't showing signs of distress yet that he should be okay.
you could call poison control and ask them. say your child ate it.(or if necessary say your husband bit into one on a bet. men do the dumbest things on a bet) they can give you some idea. i know balloons can be dangerous to animals. never thought of ping pong balls.

GhosTS
10-17-2006, 08:48 PM
If he is not sowing any sign of choking, breathing hard, then you dont need to worry.

Squirrelly
10-17-2006, 09:04 PM
On the subject of poisoning... I believe styrofoam is very dangerous for animals to ingest, can anyone tell us for sure?

Squerly, do you think it might be a good idea to have a forum entitled (something like) "Caution - hazardous to squirrels" where whomever has a proven idea can post general warnings to share so that we may all learn from each others experience?

sparkysmom
10-17-2006, 09:07 PM
:dono Been wondering about Sparky too, he decided to help paint today, stole the paint brush from me, needless to say he and I both are covered in paint. He got it in his mouth and all over his face, but it is craft paint so I don't think it will hurt him. His pride is hurting a little because everybody keeps laughing at him. Any ideas, will craft paint hurt him? He seems fine.

Somebody's Mother
10-18-2006, 05:54 AM
i see preston's mom is signed on. i was wondering how preston is this morning??

Suro
10-18-2006, 06:02 AM
The first sign of a blockage would be passing no poo, abdominal pain - sitting hunched up and unhappy, regurgitaion/vomiting after eating, lack of interest in food and lethargy etc
If he is passing poo, eating well and happy, then there is almost certainly no blockage and you can stop worrying! :)

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
10-18-2006, 06:28 AM
He got it in his mouth and all over his face, he wanted to help Mom!:rotfl
Thanks everyone, I did get some sleep but got up periodically to check his purse to see if it was still warm.
I will see how he acts today it will be hard to check his bm's he always wants to head right outside..dosent even want to stop to eat?

Mrs. Jack
10-18-2006, 06:46 AM
Well if that's normal for him and he does that, then he's normal mama. He's just making sure you decide to take him camping with you ;)

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
10-18-2006, 08:12 AM
Well if he did get sick I sure couldnt see it, he tore out of the house (after is backy scratch that is)with his wheels spinning..till I got outside he had disapeared, he is coming into his own?
What happened to my little guy who would spend the whole day in one tree?
The hormones have kicked in.
Last night he was playfully biting me & jumping up & down at the same time..after I wrote this post. He wants to be his own squirrel. Hopefully nothing will come of this.

Momma Squirrel
10-18-2006, 08:38 AM
Rippie so glad to hear everything is back to normal, these guys can really scare and worry the day lights out of us but it is so great to find out they are just being little devil squirrels.

As far as the paint I had 5 daschunds at one time that got into green paint, needless to say they were fine but by the time I cleaned my entire garage of 20 green foot prints everywhere I could have rung their little necks. Vet said as long as it was water base the worse that would happen is bathing 5 daschunds :D