PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Colorado

Cbarnhorst
03-11-2010, 07:04 PM
Hi all! I am a senior who stumbled into squirreling in January and am now enjoying my new hobby. We have Eastern Fox Squirrels here in the Denver Colorado area.

We had some dry dog food remaining after bad luck with a dog and my daughter suggested leaving it out for the squirrels a dish at a time. Of course one can't watch squirrels and their antics without getting more interested and I did. Then I bought a 3 lb bag of whole peanuts naively thinking they would last the two or three squirrels for a while. It turns out there are ten to twelve squirrels in the backyards in my block and now I have a Stokes Squirrel Lunch Box mounted on a fencepost and I buy peanuts by the 50 lb sack.

I also put up a squirrel house (by KNWoodWorks) and have gotten quite an education watching the resident squirrel deal with Northern Flickers and Starlings as it defends its new home.

And of course I have rapidly built up quite a stock of squirrel stories, just as all of you have.

island rehabber
03-11-2010, 07:07 PM
:Welcome We're glad you found us! We'd love to hear stories of your yard buddies, and pictures are even better. A warning, though -- loving squirrels will send you broke. The more nuts you put out for them, the faster the nuts disappear. :D

CritterMom
03-11-2010, 07:10 PM
Sounds like you have been pretty well sucked in! When you are buying food in bags too big for you to pick up, it's a sign!!

Welcome!

Momma Squirrel
03-11-2010, 08:06 PM
:wave123 yelp you are in the right place with the rest of us suckers :rotfl They truly can win over your heart and can watch for hours. You will find yourself naming each one and worried about them during bad weather and if you go out of town who will feed them.

YELP you are hooked :crazy

Cbarnhorst
03-11-2010, 09:29 PM
:wave123 yelp you are in the right place with the rest of us suckers :rotfl They truly can win over your heart and can watch for hours. You will find yourself naming each one and worried about them during bad weather and if you go out of town who will feed them.

YELP you are hooked :crazy

Just because my wife is knitting little jerseys with numbers on them :D and I bought a heated birdbath to provide water on sub-freezing days doesn't mean I'm hooked does it?

Pointy Tale
03-12-2010, 07:48 AM
Cbarnhorst—:wave123
:Welcome
Can't wait to see pictures!!!!

Chickenlegs
03-12-2010, 11:08 AM
Join the rest of the chain gang--shackled by links of love to glorious little fuzzy guys who fully expect to be worshiped on their own terms. We have the keys of course and could bolt to freedom--but chose instead to forge more links as we learn about the little critters we're owned by. :Welcome

virgo062
03-12-2010, 11:26 AM
Yep you are hooked...Have you bought the binoculars yet? One day there will be a session for people like us...Hello my name is Debbie and I am addicted to squirrels:rotfl :rotfl

Cbarnhorst
03-12-2010, 03:41 PM
I already have the binoculars. :)

virgo062
03-12-2010, 03:46 PM
Love your super secret squirrel picture

Cbarnhorst
03-12-2010, 10:12 PM
That's "Boss Scamper."

Ultra Peepi
03-12-2010, 10:37 PM
:Welcome that is a great avatar indeed.:)

Skul
03-13-2010, 08:30 AM
Lived in Aurora quite a few years before moving to Bennett, then down this way.
Just think, in two more months, you might not get anymore snow.:D
Grab some pix of the squirrels when you can.

Cbarnhorst
03-13-2010, 02:27 PM
I went the other way. I grew up in Somerset (Bexar county) and moved to Colorado 30 years ago. Half the year I'm glad I did and the half I wish I hadn't. :)

CritterMom
03-13-2010, 06:10 PM
Just an awesome "squirrel-itar." Not everybody can pull off a fedora, but Boss Scamper has the perfect face shape for it...