PDA

View Full Version : Wild baby squirrel question

graefin
10-17-2006, 01:51 PM
Hi,

I feed squirrels around the campus of the college I work at, and last Wednesday saw a young squirrel walking about at the base of a tree. I threw him a nut and he immediately went to pick it up, but then he couldn't open it. I stayed there a while and cracked a couple open for him, and then threw him the pieces, which he ate. There were a couple of other squirrels scampering about in the area. I remember thinking that the baby looked just like a mini squirrel, and I was surprised to see him because I have never seen any squirrels so young on the ground here before. He didn't come too close to me.

Today, I saw him again. What I'm wondering about is that he didn't seem scared of me at all. In fact, I probably could have picked him up. Is this because he remembered me from the first encounter?

He still cannot crack nuts, so I threw some walnut pieces at him. I'm not sure that I should be giving him any nuts, since if he can't open them himself, maybe he shouldn't be eating them yet at this point? There were other rather chubby squirrels nearby (at least 2 or 3), though none of them seemed very motherly. One kind of pounced on him, which resulted in the baby running up the tree.

I guess my question is whether it's normal for such a young squirrel to be on the ground? Shouldn't he be bigger this week than last? I'd estimate him to be 7-8 weeks based on pictures I've seen online. The back of his tail is sparse and you can see the pink "spine" running through it.

Should I be concerned about him?

Thanks,
Jennifer

Critter_Queen
10-17-2006, 02:25 PM
If his tail is bushy and he's still alive a week after you first spotted him, he's probably just still too young to crack the nuts...he may very well still be with Momma, but is also venturing out on his own as well. What kind of nut was it? I find that mine can crack almonds first, then pecans and acorns, then filberts, and finally brazil nuts and walnuts last.

In my experience, if the tail is bushy you can assume he's at least 8-10 weeks old. If he is close to 10 weeks it would be normal for him to venture out of his nest occasionally.

I would keep giving him goodies if he'll take them. I would try to discourage him from getting too close to you, though...don't want him doing that to the wrong person! I lob nuts at the squirrels here on this campus too...squirrels must know there are lots of trees on college campuses! LOL! Or maybe they've gotten smarter for being here! :D

graefin
10-17-2006, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the response. He's very cute and doesn't act sick, but I just wondered because I have never, ever seen such a young squirrel here before, and there are a *lot* of squirrels here. :)

I almost always feed walnuts because they seem to be the easiest for them to see in the grass/on the ground. I would never have guessed that a youngster could crack a pecan before a walnut! Walnuts seem to me (with the adults, at least) to require the least amount of work for them to open.

I know what you mean about them getting too close. The adults here are very friendly, though they will still run away if you approach too closely. This little guy didn't. I threw the nut at him, then was trying to get close enough to snap some pics and noticed that he didn't notice or care that I was standing right behind him. I waved my hand a little behind him, but he didn't move.

I'll try to maintain my distance from him. I don't think anyone would hurt him around here, but people do freak out when approached by squirrels.

Mrs. Jack
10-18-2006, 06:56 AM
My new bitties seem so small to be out and about, so I know what you mean.. I am wondering if maybe late fall babies venture out sooner because of necessity, with winter coming on they need to learn faster. At first they were eating the shelled things I have out, but then they decided they wanted pecans in the shell.. I wasn't sure what they were doing with them really, playing soccer until an adult took them away was what it looked like, but then bitty boy took a pecan and climbed up to the shelf next to my chair and after turning it around and around, began to crack it. "my what strong teeth you have." I told him and he clattered them at me. "yep, you're a big tough squirrel." He was showing off. What I loved was when they first showed up, they insisted on burying these little bits of shelled walnut... Graefin! We're getting the chance to watch them learn their squirrelly skills, how cool is that?

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
10-18-2006, 09:12 AM
I am wondering if maybe late fall babies venture out sooner because of necessity, with winter coming on they need to learn faster

I think you have something there Mrs. Jack.

graefin
10-24-2006, 02:48 PM
Just a follow-up question.

I saw the juvenile again today and yesterday. He was on the ground and acted like a squirrel other than the fact that he still cannot crack walnuts and is the same size as when I first saw him two weeks ago.

Somehow I was under the impression that youngsters grow relatively quickly (in fact, when I first saw him, I figured that when I next saw him I wouldn't recognize him because he'd look like an adult). Is it normal for him to stay the same size throughout the last two weeks?

Critter_Queen
10-24-2006, 03:08 PM
He could just be a small squirrel. If he seems normal otherwise, he should learn to crack a walnut when his teeth and jaw are hard/strong enough.

If he's still around and acting liike a regular squirrel, he's ok. If he was having trouble getting food he probably would look elsewhere or he'd starve. Plus, it is probably hard for him to find space/food that isn't already occupied on-campus. I know our squirrel population here on ours is really high.

People here laugh and smile at me because as I walk the two blocks to my parking lot I'm tossing pecans, filberts, almonds and english walnuts to the squirrels within tossing distance. More times than not, when a new person is hired in our building, they already know me as the crazy animal lady before I even get to introduce myself. :thumbsup My reputation preceeds me. LOL! I guess people take note when you walk a stranger's dog for free for four years every day on your lunch hour...or when you talk to the squirrels as you pass them. :D

Just keep giving him the kinds of nuts he can crack and a walnut each time you see him...you can be his winter food source. :)

graefin
10-25-2006, 09:21 AM
Thanks, Critter Queen. I actually did buy a bag of pecans the other day, thinking about what you said about babies being able to crack them first. But by the time I saw him again, I had already given them away to other hungry squirrels. :(

The good thing is that he maintained a healthy distance from me at all times.

I'm glad people on your campus are friendly about your feeding squirrels. People here sometimes freak out or are annoyed when a squirrel comes near them. And it's worse with the birds! Sometimes people just look at me like I'm weird. But every now and then, I get yelled at.

Critter_Queen
10-25-2006, 09:32 AM
Ugh. See, no one would yell at me here...we're all about equality and self-expression. As long as I leave the wildlife outside (what they don't know won't hurt them) no one complains about me.

I feel bad for you. I'd yell back at someone, or better yet, go to HR and say you feel threatened if you know who it is yelling. Don't let anyone discourage you from feeding or caring for animals of every kind. There aren't enough people like you in this world... :thumbsup