PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Scotland

izzywizzy
03-08-2010, 08:32 AM
Hi,

My names Louise. I am 24 years old. I live in Aberdeen, Scotland,UK. I have Chinchillas, A Rabbit and a Ground Squirrel.

I am here to ask for advice on taming my Ground Squirrel "Izzy" and to meet new people.

gs1
03-08-2010, 09:23 AM
:Welcome Louise:

here is our forum on ground squirrels

http://www.thesquirrelboard.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&f=97&page=1&pp=40&sort=lastpost&order=desc&daysprune=-1

I hope you can get some good information there.

while we absolutely love ground squirrels there aren't very many active on this board - and not because they're not adorable but mostly because we have a lot of gray squirrels, flyers, reds etc...

and we also have lots of non-squirrels so if you'd like to start a thread for your other babies you are more than welcome to do so ... we love all babies...

as for your richardsons - love them!!! we've also had a new member Naomi also from your part of the world that has a brand new richardson called Ava

here is her thread ....

http://www.thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21710

I don't know how to make them more comfortable so they'll become more sociable ... I think if anything, they're somewhat like rabbits - very cautious until they get to know the person ... and not like dogs at all who are sometimes very eager to get to meet strangers.

all the best to you and a very, merry welcome and ps: I love scotland!!!:Love_Icon and would love to visit it one day except my arthritis wouldn't be very happy with me but it is a beautiful place and the people are wonderful (who i've met so far!!!:flash3 )

:thumbsup

izzywizzy
03-08-2010, 09:59 AM
Thanks for that info Ill look at them. Izzy is becoming more inquizative but still refuses to let me pick her up. I can pet her head etc and feed her veggies/treats but she sraws the line at being picked up.

She is so cute and I just want to cuddle her and give her the love and cuddles she deserves.

Momma Squirrel
03-08-2010, 10:06 AM
:Welcome Louise and Izzy so glad you found us. Love the name and if you can and when you have time we would love to see pictures of Izzy and the others :)

izzywizzy
03-08-2010, 11:00 AM
ill get piccies sorted out once im allowed to post in other sections lol.

merman
03-08-2010, 11:13 AM
Hi there, welcome to TSB..

My girl Mia (she is not a ground squirrel) lets me pick her up recently, after more than a year we are together.
Even tho, still she freaks out if i pick her up from behind without showing my hands to her and approaching slowly.

It needs time.. and patience.. and lots of time together.. :thumbsup

:wave123

Skul
03-09-2010, 08:30 PM
Hiya, Izzy. Nice you could join us.
Try this with the ground squirrel.
When you try to pick it up, put your hand under the squirrel.
If you reach and pick up from the top, they see it as a threat.
That's much like a predator would do.
Give it a try and see what happens.:)

izzywizzy
03-10-2010, 09:46 AM
ahh that makes sense ive got some gloves on the way which will give me a little more confidence as im scared of being bitten im hoping once i get these gloves on and she tries to bite me and i dont react she will realise that biting me is not going to work and maybe it will stop but thats me just hoping.

the woman at the shop (who also has a rgs called Alfie and what a bugger he is lol) said she was able to pick her and does like cuddles but once she went to university she was not being handled as much so now izzy is not as friendly as she used to be so im hoping i can calm her down.

Shes coming to the front of the cage for treats etc so were getting somewhere.

Also if i put my hand in to pet her she will let me pet her for a few seconds then she sort of jumps up and tries to grab my hand, is this her trying to be
friendly or is she trying to grab me to bite me.

If I put my hand on covered up with the sleeve of my jumper she sort of comes towards me and starts what appears to be grooming and pulls on my jumper at the same time but its quite rough and sometimes hurts even through my jumper

NaturesGift
03-10-2010, 03:23 PM
AWWW :Welcome your Izzy sounds adorable!!!!! must see pics!!!:rotfl

Mandie

Ultra Peepi
03-10-2010, 10:30 PM
:Welcome