PDA

View Full Version : help heavy breathing wild squirrel?

MyBackyard
10-17-2006, 09:43 AM
There's probably nothing I can do for this wild squirrel.

But yesterday a squirrel with dull eyes and what sounded like a congested nose -- he was breathing heavily -- approached me for a nut. It had what looked like a pencil lead sticking out of its right nostril. I wondered what it was. And I wished that I could help.

But I don’t think that Mr. Squirrel will let me set up a miniature vaporizer by its side or administer any other sort of aid. I figure that all I can do is provide food and water from a safe distance. Am I right?

Critter_Queen
10-17-2006, 09:45 AM
He could have something lodged in his nose. Will he allow you close enough to remove the object if you are offering a nut??? That pencil lead looking object could be a pine needle...

Poor little thing. Other than that, there isn't much you can do for him... Unless you can trap him and take him to a rehabber.

MyBackyard
10-17-2006, 09:46 AM
Thanks, Critter Queen.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
10-17-2006, 09:46 AM
Oh how awful poor little man, its terrible when there seems to be no way to help!

Mrs. Jack
10-17-2006, 09:49 AM
:( I wonder if he managed to get something stuck in his nose, pine needle, small stick, while digging and burying? I've had a lot of wilds with dirty faces and things all over them now it's fall.. Does he take a nut from your hand? Mrs. Jack had a pine needle stuck over her eye with slug slime not long ago, while I handed her a pecan with one hand I gently brushed it away.. it didn't come completely off but it did get off her eye.

Mrs. Jack
10-17-2006, 09:50 AM
oops, sorry CQ, didn't see your post while typing mine. :bowdown

Critter_Queen
10-17-2006, 09:58 AM
No problem Mrs. Jack...you probably know more about dealing with the wilds that are totally wild than I do...none of my local squirrels will even come around when we're outside...

So allow me... :bowdown :D :thumbsup

MyBackyard
10-17-2006, 10:31 AM
This little guy is too skittish to take a nut from my hand.

It was yesterday that I saw him. I didn't hear any heavy breathing on my nut dispensing trip this morning. I hope that means he's okay now. I've got my fingers crossed.

Thanks everybody!

Critter_Queen
10-17-2006, 10:35 AM
Hopefully he's ok now. You'd think with those nifty little fingers they'd be able to dig something out of their noses! :D

Thanks for letting us know...