PDA

View Full Version : Taking squirrels for a walk in the yard

ac556k
10-17-2006, 08:24 AM
I took my baby squirrels out to climb some small 4ft fruit trees over the weekend. I find that when I set them in the grass they hop after me like I am their mom. Really weird, they just hop after me wherever I go. I also notice that any loud noise or sudden movement makes them haul @ss at top speed to my shoulder or pocket. Do they do this as adults too?
Thanks

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
10-17-2006, 09:00 AM
in a short answer no

Do they do this as adults too?

They hop when they are happy & carefree! I love to see this. How old are they? Becareful watching for predators on their behalf!

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
10-17-2006, 09:22 AM
on second thought I have read people posting that they have seen (older)squirrles hopping but they wont follow you after being released & wilding up.

ac556k
10-17-2006, 09:30 AM
I would say maybe 9 or 10 weeks old. I stay only a few feet ahead of them though. A full grown squirrel was up in a tree making funky noises at them! They started eating hard foods last weekend and I cut formulat down to once or twice a day. Drinking water and making a mess all over the floor which luckily my dog eats up. They have started putting various pieces of food in different parts of the cage. I still have not been bit by them yet, very nice and gentle except for those SHARP daggers on their fingers.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
10-17-2006, 09:55 AM
let them be the judge of when to cut formula down I would continue giving if they want it?
Predators I am talking Hawks..:chair
Its best to keep them in their cage when you take them out for safety sake.
What kinds of solids are they eating?

ac556k
10-17-2006, 10:05 AM
They like this special blend of food my wife got the best although they eat what they like and throw the rest out of the cage on the floor! It has corn, sunflower seeds, little biscuit thingy's, little brown pellets, and some black long things that look like poop. I also throw in some special gerbil pellets and puppy food the vet gave me. They eat it a lot and even though there is always some left I throw it out and give them new food daily. They are also drinking water out of a little bowl.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
10-17-2006, 10:26 AM
they need fresh veggies such as broccoil, califlower, kale, sweet potato, romaine.

Buddy'sMom
10-17-2006, 10:58 AM
Be cautious as they get more used to the grass, etc.

Buddy also liked to run between us outside. Then he got older and more courageous and ran AWAY from us, fortunately to the garage. Twice. Now we won't let him loose outside until he is ready for release in a couple of weeks. (We had thought about, and bought, a ferret harness for taking him outside. However, now that he is big enough to maybe fit, I know there is NO WAY he would allow us to put it on him! (with any skin intact :D )

GhosTS
10-17-2006, 11:01 AM
corn, sunflower seeds, little biscuit thingy's, little brown pellets ,gerbil pellets and puppy food arent very good for squirrels.Unless the biscuit thingy's are primate chow and brown pellets are rodent block.Gerbil pellets and puppy food isnt good for them.And sunflower seeds and corn are not good for squirrels in captivity.
A good diet will contain

Kale,broccoli, Cauliflower, apple, grapes, sweet potatoe, pumpkin, squashes, hard shelled nuts, small amount of avocado, zupreem primate diet,
rodent block.
And they need Deer antlers, Cuttlefish bones or Femur bones to chew on for calcium.