PDA

View Full Version : Color of poop

mpetys
03-04-2010, 10:39 PM
MonkeyButt is about 6 weeks old, on Fox Valley formula with some cheerios, rat block, a little avocado and apple. Will his poop change color as more foods are added to his diet? What should I be watching out for?

Thanks,

Michele in Tampa

PBluejay2
03-04-2010, 10:54 PM
At six weeks, he's a little young to be weaning, but they wean at differebt ages. The more solids he eats the darker his poo will become--until, once fully weaned it's a very dark brown, almost black.

mpetys
03-04-2010, 11:07 PM
I am not trying to wean him and he definitely is not ready to be weaned as he drinks his formula like his life depended on it (I guess it does, right? :) ). I just wondered if there would be any changes now, as he is nibbling on the other things. I just want to be on top of things.

Thanks for your advice. I am so grateful for this community.

Michele in Tampa

Secret Squirrel
03-05-2010, 08:38 AM
Formula and rodent block is really the only foods he needs at this young age...you will notice his stool getting darker in color with the addition of the rodent block. Give him a few more weeks before you start giving him other foods. The cheerios are OK, but it may make him not want the rodent block...which is much better for him in the long run.
:poop
Good luck and poop is the window to his internal spirit...LOL...we love poop!!!!

Jackie in Tampa
03-05-2010, 08:57 AM
yep...poop...where else in the world can you openly talk about poop on a daily basis!!!:rotfl
yep...sqs are the greatest! :Love_Icon
and sq love is too!

mpetys
03-05-2010, 03:22 PM
I see what you mean Secret Squirrel. He does prefer the cheerios to the blocks. I will hold back on the cheerios for now. I was just excited to see him learning to pick it up and hold it. He is still trying to learn to balance and sit.

He pretty much has been sleeping, eating, pooping and peeing. Today however, he exhibited some playful behaviour. I didn't feed him right away. I bought him this cute little bed to sleep in. It is made from a fuzzy, furry type fabric and made to look like a tree trunk with a hole in it. He sleeps inside. He will quickly outgrow it I am sure, but for now, he snuggles in there. I put the whole thing in his aquarium and when I take him out, I just pick the whole thing up and bring him out. I let him wake up and come out on his own and that is when he was being playful. Sometimes if I put my hand in there to take him out, he fusses at me.

Anyhow, I have attached a couple of pictures of MonkeyButt. There are not great as they were quick shots with the camera phone. The one in my hand was when his eyes opened and the second one is a shot of him in his little bed.

Michele in Tampa

virgo062
03-05-2010, 03:36 PM
Monkeybutt :rotfl :rotfl I just love some of the names we put on these babies. How did you come up with that one?

BTW he is very cute

momma2boo
03-06-2010, 02:44 PM
My Boo's poop is yellow right now since he is only on formula. He has been really sick and that is all I can get into him right now.

mpetys
03-07-2010, 08:13 PM
Hi Virgo062,

The name "MonkeyButt" just seemed a natural to me. Maybe it is a southern thing, but I grew up in the south (Alabama) and it was common to refer to a baby or toddler who wiggled around a lot a "monkeybutt". When I first got the four baby squirrels, they reminded me of that when they would wiggle around, each trying to get on the bottom of the pile. I called all of them my little monkeybutts, and when the other three died and I was left with just one, it just stuck.

Michele in Tampa

mpetys
03-07-2010, 08:19 PM
Hi momma2boo,

I have MonkeyButt on formula and the rat blocks. I don't know how much of the rat block he is actually ingesting as I end up with a pile of crumbs whenever he chews on them. I had started giving him some apple and avocado but decided to wait after getting advice here. MonkeyButt's poop is still a bright yellow. While he hasn't had diarrhea, occasionally he will be pooping and I will notice that he still has a piece on him. It is very soft and mushy and I have to use a paper towel to clean him as it is sticking to his fur. I had to use a wet paper towel to clean his hiney as he had some that had dried. He fussed and fussed but quieted down and let me finish.

What is wrong with your Boo? I hope he is doing better. How old is he?

Michele in Tampa