PDA

View Full Version : legal?

lrjakes
10-16-2006, 09:47 PM
what eastern states are gray squirrels legal to be kept?
PA? NJ? MD? DE? VA? WV?

I have a squirrel that needs a vet and I don't know where to take it.

Thank you,

Mike

Gabe
10-17-2006, 06:19 AM
Irjakes,
I honestly don't know, there is a thread that may help you with that.
What is wrong with your squirrel? Did you just find it? Is it injured? Sick? How long have you had it? Try to give us some more information
Gabe

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
10-17-2006, 07:14 AM
I live in Pa, and it is illegal.

Somebody's Mother
10-17-2006, 08:19 AM
I live in Pa, and it is illegal.

yeah but you're nuts like most of us on here. :jump
maybe lrjakes could find a rehabber where he lives. the rehabber can get treatment for the squirrel.
i realise they might have to relinguish the squirrel to the rehabber but if it is a matter of letting go the squirrel so it can survive or hanging onto it and watching it die..........
well i know my decision would be for the squirrel to live.
i have had to make decisions like that in my life. not easy. :shakehead

Critter_Queen
10-17-2006, 09:38 AM
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1979

Here's a thread on this board about what states have what laws...

I hope this is helpful and you are able to find a good vet or at least a rehabber in your area to help you.

nutz4squirls
10-18-2006, 09:05 PM
Their are excellent rehabbers in PA. that would help this squirrel. Yes they will probably want to take the animal but they will give it the care it needs. If you need help locating someone I'd be happy to help. Nutz

skuirrel
10-18-2006, 11:26 PM
Hi Mike,
In most states it's illegal to keep squirrels as pets. Unless you are a rehabber it will be really hard to find a Vet to treat it. The best thing to do is find a rehabber in your area and relinquish it get the care it needs. Squirrels carry a number of diseases and many vets don't know how to treat them. A licensed wildlife rehabber can get it the care it needs. Many people keep these squirrels cause they are so cute as babies, but grow into animals that require the great outdoors. PLEASE let me know where you are and I might be able to find a rehabber to help with your squirrels medical care. Don't be selfish an hang on to it.

Elaine
Licensed Wildlife NC
sefph13@peoplepc.com