PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Squirt-909
02-24-2010, 12:28 PM
Hello my name is Melanie. I have 4 cats, 2 dogs and a squirrel Oh yeah and my little girl who is about to turn 3 lol. I love all my babies. When we took in Squirt we decided to raise him to release. Now I'm not so sure and my husband is trying his best to talk me into keeping him. He is VERY attached to me. If I'm around then I can't walk off from him or he'll follow me and if he looses sight of me he freaks out. I love him to death and I'll do what ever I have to do to keep him going. I'm like that with all my babies. I have noticed that some are saying that they took the squirrels to a vet but where I leave there are not vets that will help. I will have to turn him over to the wildlife foundation if anything ever happens that needs medical attn. That I am not happy with but if anything bad ever happens then I've got to do what I've got to do.

amylou
02-24-2010, 02:03 PM
:wave123 Welcome to the board!
If Squirt is that attached to you, he most likely isn't releasable right now. I'm not a rehabber or anything, but just from the squirrels I've seen on here-they basically have to "wild up" before they can be released. If keeping a squirrel is illegal in your state and you turn him over to wildlife with him being nonreleasable they will most likely put him down. I hope someone else can give you info and advice. :thumbsup

virgo062
02-24-2010, 02:12 PM
:wave123 How old is your baby? Is squirt a grey?

Chickenlegs
02-24-2010, 03:09 PM
Hi Melanie! I have an "illegal" squirrel who has been with me since she was a few days old. The rehabbers I called never called back so The Squirrel Board raised my baby. Kibbles is juuuut 7 months old. So far the only wildness I've seen in her regards hazelnuts. She will KILL for a hazelnut. Gotta find a friendly rehab person to get vet care in these parts. If Squirt is bonded then she may not want to say so long to the soft life. As she ages she may change and I bet you love her enough to let her go--with loving preparation so she can thrive as an outside squirrel. In the meantime, love that girl for all you're worth. Even if she ends up in the back yard you will have a friend for life--and that life is VERY special (but you already know that.)

virgo062
02-24-2010, 03:14 PM
Hello my name is Melanie. I have 4 cats, 2 dogs and a squirrel

One more thing....Does Squirt have any fear of you other animals? If not no way :nono :nono can he be released:osnap

Legomom
02-24-2010, 07:41 PM
I have noticed that some are saying that they took the squirrels to a vet but where I leave there are not vets that will help. I will have to turn him over to the wildlife foundation if anything ever happens that needs medical attn. That I am not happy with but if anything bad ever happens then I've got to do what I've got to do.

:Welcome to TSB, Squirt! I'm so happy that you've found us. I just wanted to drop you a note to say that, should you or your sweetie ever need help (release, medical help, information), don't feel that you have to go to the Wildlife foundation. I've pm'd a member who is a few hours away from you & is a rehabber. She would be more than happy to help you with anything that you or your fuzzy baby might need. Hopefully, she'll pop in here & introduce herself to you soon.

In the meantime, if you do need some help, please ask away. If a rehabber is needed, I have the phone number & can put the two of you in touch. :peace

PS - Can't wait to see pics of your sweet boy! :poke

tomcics
02-24-2010, 07:51 PM
Welcome Melanie, can't wait to see your family including little squirt. Chickenlegs, I agree 100%, the only wildness I see in the wild ones on my porch are the 'wild fights' over the hazelnuts.

Squirt-909
02-25-2010, 06:37 AM
I wish I would have found this website a long time ago. Squirt is 6 months old. We would love to find somebody that could help take care of Squirt (medically) if needed. We've been tring to find a vet to look him over and make sure everything is going as it should. I'm right out of Columbia, SC and our vet is the only one in Columbia that treats different types of animals besides the normal. We live about half way in-between Columbia and GA so if we had to go to GA to see a vet that would be fine. I don't understand why we can't find a vet to look at him. It's not illegal in SC to have a Squirrel.
:thankyou

Secret Squirrel
02-25-2010, 10:45 AM
In SC, DNR frowns heavly on the general public having wildlife in thier possion. DNR has the right to take the animal from you and tack on a hefty fine too.
There are no vets that I know of that will give your little guy care when needed. The vets will lose thier license if they do. Only exotic vets will see flying squirrels but not squirrels considered "wildlife".

So when you say "it's not illegal to have a squirrel in SC" please think again. For your little fellows safety...please keep it under wraps.

Having said that.....there is a wonderful wildlife center in Columbia and if you can "rehab" or volenteer with them it would make it easier to get help when need for you boy. So it's a win win situation to seek out a rehaber or center in your area and see if you can help this baby season.

I am in Summerville, a pretty good distance away....and I rehab for a local center and it's very rewarding.
Good luck with what ever decision you make.:grouphug

Kelly Brady
02-25-2010, 12:14 PM
:Welcome Hello to you and all of your gang!!

Welcome to TSB:wott

Ultra Peepi
03-02-2010, 08:11 PM
:Welcome

Katherine
03-03-2010, 06:58 AM
:Welcome :Welcome

Jackie in Tampa
03-03-2010, 09:41 AM
:Welcome :wave123
it is hard to keep a sq healthy in captivity and expensive too...
stick around and read read read before making any permanent decisions! Besides most sqs wild up at about 6 months and start biting, it's their instincts...but one in a hundred does enjoy being a kept pet...please do not get your hopes up, and be ready to spend some money building a big cage, whether for release or for living quarters!
In the mean while, please keep your sq and other pets seperated, if Squirt decides to be wild and released, you will want him to fear dogs and cats! for his own safety, thanks!:)
TSB has alot of great members and forums...and we love sqs...
saying that, you are at the best site on the net!:Love_Icon
WElcome to TSB!:)
:poke and we love pics!