PDA

View Full Version : Urinary Tract Infection? Help!

squirrelbaby
10-16-2006, 03:38 PM
My parents' squirrel (1 year old female) is having urinary problems where she will try to urinate and nothing, or very little, comes out. She is trying frequently, also. If this is a urinary tract infection or something else, how can it be treated and her discomfort alleviated? Thanks!

island rehabber
10-16-2006, 03:54 PM
Sometimes cranberry powder will be helpful when added to her water, if it is a mild urinary tract infection. Most likely though she will need antibiotic therapy and for that she needs to be evaluated by a wildlife veterinarian.

Critter_Queen
10-16-2006, 03:55 PM
You need to find an exotic vet in your area willing to treat squirrels. Since you are in FL, it's legal to have pet squirrels, so it should be "relatively" easy to find a vet.

It does sound like some sort of urinary problem. Please get her to the vet ASAP...their little bodies can't handle infection for very long without very serious consequences...

I hope this helps! Please let us know what you find out...

Somebody's Mother
10-16-2006, 06:17 PM
do squirrels get kidney stones? the squirrel sounds like what i went through when i had a kidney stone.
i know dogs can get them.
definitely get her to a wildlife vet!

Timber
10-16-2006, 07:37 PM
Yes they can get kidney stones but it sounds more like cystitis. A bladder infection that cause pain and or a burning sinsation when one pees, an urgent need to pee very very often but with little or no results and when there is blood it is called hemorrhagic cystitis which means that the walls of the bladder are basically weeping blood. This is the way the Doc. discribed it to me when I had it back in '81 and Timber has had it 3 or 4 times.

Somebody's Mother
10-16-2006, 09:30 PM
wow! i learn something new everyday. thanks.

GhosTS
10-16-2006, 09:54 PM
They do get UTIs very easily.Does the pee have a milky look,or a strong smell.You should get her anitibiotics.And it should be done quickly.

squirrelbaby
10-16-2006, 10:54 PM
Thanks everybody! My dad's following up on it and getting a sample(urine)
and taking her to a vet that specializes in wildlife. Thanks a lot!:)

chao0129
12-03-2008, 09:48 PM
Can anyone please share the treament of Cytitis? We just find out our 4 months old little boy got this issue and since we are in Texas, we can not find any vet that will treat him. Please help!!