PDA

View Full Version : Human bleeding ...

Buddy'sMom
10-15-2006, 07:15 PM
Tonite Buddy bit me. How afraid should I be that he might do it again?

Had a nice day, he was outside in his small cage most of the day, relatively calm for the first time, even eating outside. Came in for supper -- he greedily sucked down 20 cc formula. Then got startled (hubby sawing something for release cage!) and ran behind the chair. Came back and wiped his milky face on chair. I reached out w/paper towel to wipe drips on his arm and he yelped and sprang away (not hurt, maybe startled or just didn't like it?). Then came back and sat on my arm, but with his ears flat back, sitting very still. After several seconds, he just reached forward and bit me, hard. Intentionally. But after I jumped up he ran up under my sweatshirt and hung out there for a bit with heart pounding (mine was, too). Then came out and acted completely normally with my husband - jumped on the back of the chair like nothing was wrong. Played with him like always, jumping, flipping, nibbling fingers. Now he's back in his cage, asleep in his hammock. Mr. Innocent.

So: Is this just part of the unpredictable squirrelly nature? And some part of me should be glad that he is acting wild? Will he forget by tomorrow? OR should I be nervous feeding him? (I did buy gloves at the dollar store and cut the fingertips off, but hadn't tried them yet; tomorrow I will) Several people have posted here that their babies bit them (I think, at about the same age (12+ weeks) -- have any of them done it more than once?? (I mean a real bite, not the playing stuff)

Also: I think it's stopping bleeding and won't need stitches, but that's not entirely clear yet (nice slash at base of forefinger). What exactly does one tell the doctor in this situation?

Thanks for listening. I think I already know what the answers are.

nutz4squirls
10-15-2006, 07:55 PM
He's just becoming a wild squirrel. That's not abnormal behavior for a wild animal that is acclimating (or growing up). nutz

GhosTS
10-15-2006, 08:41 PM
Very normal.It is a good sign.That means he is getting ready for the release.

Mrs. Jack
10-15-2006, 08:47 PM
I just told my doctor I got bit by a squirrel.. then smiled a lot and tried not to foam at the mouth or clatter my teeth at him. I got a tetanus shot, figured I was due for one anyway, but it was no big deal.. my doctor already thinks I'm his weird patient.

Buddy'sMom
10-15-2006, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the confirmation nutz4squirrels, GhosTS, Mrs. Jack. Pretty much what I thought. Sigh. (In the human-mom-fantasy, he just stays sweet and cuddly 'til the door opens, then turns wild and independent. I know that's totally unrealistic. And he's been showing increasing independence and wildness, which is all very good and what we want to see. But ....)

On the plus side, bleeding finally stopped. I ran out and got some butterfly bandages. No stitches will be needed (had tentanus booster recently enough, but I don't think he could have been exposed to tetanus yet anyway). G'night!

susanw
10-16-2006, 03:59 PM
I have been bitten four times now by four different squirrels we were re-habbing. This is my second full year of raising squirrels and have found, as they get a little older don't make them do something they don't want to or you will pay the price! I'm learning the hard way, but still love them to death!:peace

I highly recomend neosaporin with pain relief!

Timber
10-16-2006, 04:15 PM
Hummm, I recomend neosaporin and Vodka, gin, burbon, whiskey, brandy, or wine. Bitees choice. :nurse :Drink :Pals :Cry

susanw
10-16-2006, 04:51 PM
Hummm, I recomend neosaporin and Vodka, gin, burbon, whiskey, brandy, or wine. Bitees choice. :nurse :Drink :Pals :Cry

I'll go along with that!

thundersquirrel
10-16-2006, 11:17 PM
that's very normal. sounds to me like he needs an outdoor home. if you need to handle him, just try to read the squirrely signals of "go away!". at his age he's ready to defend himself. approach with caution. :poke :D

Suro
10-17-2006, 05:24 AM
Last years babies gave me good warning when they got to this stage, with doing that growling peeping warning at me!
The last batch I had last month never got to this stage, though I recently visited them and they are doing it now! :D
My latest additions were slightly older when I got them and the 2 eldest are about 8 weeks old, they have started resenting being handled already and chirp warnings at me, its very funny when I offer the milk to them and I get this kind of reaction "brrrbrrrbrrrbrrr peeep brrb brrrr* with shows of launching at me *spots the milk* "slurrrp!" !!!!!
I don't think its going to be long at all before i have to get the gloves out to be able to clean the ungrateful little things out! :D :poke

Buddy'sMom
10-17-2006, 08:06 AM
Thanks, All. Yes, we've been trying to transition to outside home for a few weeks (release cage ALMOST finished! Hubby does very, very excellent work -- but very exacting, therefore a bit slow).

Buddy now spending most of the day outside in his ferret cage and is (finally) adjusting. BTW, much happier when cage is positioned so it's partially protected/screened by house, tree or vegetation (DUH. Took a bit to realize he HATED being in the middle of a nice grassy, sunny spot -- looked nice to us, anyway, but scary to a squirrel to be so open and vulnerable; also, he's happier w/cage on a sawhorse platform than at ground level (DUH, again).

And we let him out inside so he can do more tearing around than the current cage allows. Big cage should be ready today or tomorrow.

Bite wound is MUCH better than I expected; wound to psyche not as good. Yeah, I was WAY more cautious yesterday. Backfired a bit. I put on the gloves w/out letting him get used to them first. He sniffed suspiciously, ran on top of cage and wouldn't come near me til I took one off. Seems to be back to "normal" - periods of wild-and-crazy, will not be held (or, usually, touched) but still likes to nap perched on back of Buddy'sDad's chair (they both nap!:) ).

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
10-17-2006, 08:18 AM
I am probably going to regret writting this, everyone in my family has gotten bitten but me.
Little Preston has a way of running out & lunging!
Are you the person who does the feeding? I always though thats why I was spared being bitten?:dono

Mrs. Jack
10-17-2006, 08:21 AM
Glad you're doing well, Buddy'sMom. My experiences are different than many, as I'm dealing with wild's, so I don't know how applicable this is, but I thought I would mention it anyway.. maybe you'd feel less anxious around Buddy- you've been bitten now, 'inducted" you're part squirrel now ;) don't be surprised if you get a huge craving for nuts :D But what I'm thinking is, you know what it's like and you survived it, it's not an unknown anymore so you don't need to fear it. Use sensible caution, YES.. these are wild critters whether you've had them since they were babies or no, and all animals can be unpredictable or seem that way to us humans.. but try not to be too nervous because I really think the critters notice that and it affects their behavior. Buddy's going to be wild soon, so it's just fine if he's afraid of humans, keeps him safe.. but you don't want to be afraid of squirrels, because after this good job, I bet you find your self mothering someone else. :thumbsup

Buddy'sMom
10-17-2006, 09:13 AM
rippie-n-lilgirlsmom ... I do most of the feeding, but not all. Seemed strange timing because he had just happily slurped down 2 syringes and should have been sleepy and quiet (usually acts like he just pushed away from Thanksgiving dinner :D ). Something just spooked him.

Mrs. Jack ... Good points. I tried not to show I was nervous, not sure how successfully. Then I was away yesterday and today, so we'll see. (Actually, this is my 2nd squirrel bite -- in college (many moons ago) the squirrels were quite tame and used to being fed. We started offering nuts and one would take it from my hand. Made mistake of placing nut on open hand; it was snapped up ALMOST carefully enough, but squirrel's teeth cut me pretty good on the way to the nut (so, not technically a "bite" I guess). THAT was more scary because I knew nothing about the squirrel, disease-wise.

As for future squirrel babies ... we do have all the equipment now and maybe would do the same thing again. Buddy has been quite a joy and we are glad we did it. But I am absolutely AWED by all of you on this website that do this for multiple babies, multiple litters, multiple times each year!! :bowdown :bowdown :bowdown I don't see how you do it. You are truly wonderful to devote so much time, energy and heart to these little ones! :Love_Icon :grouphug

Mrs. Jack
10-17-2006, 09:24 AM
As for future squirrel babies ... we do have all the equipment now and maybe would do the same thing again. Buddy has been quite a joy and we are glad we did it. But I am absolutely AWED by all of you on this website that do this for multiple babies, multiple litters, multiple times each year!! :bowdown :bowdown :bowdown I don't see how you do it. You are truly wonderful to devote so much time, energy and heart to these little ones! :Love_Icon :grouphug

I second that wholeheartedly. There are folks on here that inspire me with their dedication.. and even more wonderful, how much they love what they are doing. Each new squirrel is special, I never see anyone seem jaded like "oh more pinkies" just always as excited and thrilled as if it were the first baby they'd seen.