PDA

View Full Version : Very worried...possible pneumonia????

YamahaGirl
10-15-2006, 05:49 PM
My male squirrel is "coughing" or what sounds like coughing. I do hear some little pops when he breathes but not all the time.

I know these are possible signs of pneumonia. Is there anything else I can look for or do?

He was fine this morning, ate his formula (which is rare because he seems to be starting to wean himself off the formula) and I was out most of the day, he was in his outside pre-release cage, I returned home at about 6 pm, went to the outside cage to get him to bring him back inside and he was inside a sack I have hanging in there sleeping, now this is a squirrel who does NOT want anything to do with being held or anything to do with people, he is very stand offish, I have had to feed him by sticking the syringe through the top of the cage and he would then come up to the top and suck on the nipple, I could not get any closer or he would run.

He is DEFINITELY not himself at all, he looks tired and is a bit lathargic, his eye just dont look right, just like he doesnt feel good. I was actually holding him in the sack petting his head and he was fine with it! NOT NORMAL. He would slowly close his eyes as I petted him. He is eating still, but slowly.

Like I said before I do hear popping noises when he breathes but not all the time and he is making this coughing noise occasionally.

WHAT CAN I DO?? Can he get antibiotics to cure this? I do not have a vet in my area who will see him. I have tried looking everywhere even with help from people on here, there is no where I can take him safely. Im not sure what to do. My sister is a vet tech and we are close with her boss (veterinarian), he is willing to give me the antibiotics to give to my squirrel but I would need precise directions on what strength of what medicine (amoxicillan??) how much and how often?

I KNOW this is not the RIGHT way to do it without direct veterinarian advice, but its the only thing I can do right now to help save this little guy.

He is about 13 weeks old and weighs 14.6 ounces, which I calculate to be about 414 grams.

Is there ANYONE out there who may be able to tell me more what to do to confirm pneumonia? Can tell me the right meds and dosages to give him? ANYTHING I can do...any other signs, can I hear with a stethescope maybe? Any suggestions I am open....

Please help!
Heather

YamahaGirl
10-15-2006, 07:02 PM
I cannot get liquid Baytril, only tablets and I dont think I would be able to crush them and mix and get a proper accurate dosage.

I can only get Clavimox or Amoxicillan liquid.

Any suggestions? I really need to find out this info ASAP, I will have to have the meds overnighted to me from my sister, I dont want to keep him suffering like this.

Which is better Clavimox or Amoxicillan? Dosages? How often?

THANKYOU!

island rehabber
10-15-2006, 07:06 PM
Hang on YG I'm hitting the books to see what info I can get you...in the meantime I hope Nutz is on line and will respond because she's way more knowledgeable....

YamahaGirl
10-15-2006, 07:14 PM
thank you sooo much, I await your response.

I have til about noon tomorrow to get my sister the info so she can get it to me by Tuesday.

YamahaGirl
10-15-2006, 07:15 PM
who is nutz? Can I PM her?

island rehabber
10-15-2006, 07:21 PM
I just PM'd you, and you can PM Chris (nutz4sqrls) by looking her up in the members list and then clicking on "send a private message to....".

nutz4squirls
10-15-2006, 07:53 PM
I just pm Yamaha girl, Tuesday is not quick enough to start on meds if he needs them. You need to get these meds asap. nutz

YamahaGirl
10-15-2006, 08:06 PM
I just pm Yamaha girl, Tuesday is not quick enough to start on meds if he needs them. You need to get these meds asap. nutz

I totally agree with you, however, tuesday is the sooner I can get the meds. My sister is in Texas, I am in NY. She can over night them to me tomorrow which means I would get them tuesday, I hate to wait this long, but as I said I dont have a vet I can talk to locally about this at all.

He weighs 414 grams (14.6 ounces).

She (sister) said she could get amox or clav for me, so I will tell her the Clavimox would be best.

If anyone can suggest anything else, Im open! Thank you so much!

nutz4squirls
10-15-2006, 08:16 PM
If this squirrel has an respiratory infection he won't last till tuesday. Where is Grand Isle NY, what part of NY is that? I may be able to hook you up with a rehabber is your area that would have the appropriate meds. Nutz

Somebody's Mother
10-15-2006, 08:17 PM
how cold is it outside? if his health is compromised i would think it best to bring him back inside. use the heating pad under half the cage. did he happen to aspirate some of his formula?
any chance there is a state closer than texas that allows squirrels to be kept as pets? somewhere where you could contact a rehabber or vet to help you.
are there any rehabbers in new york?

island rehabber
10-15-2006, 08:32 PM
If this squirrel has an respiratory infection he won't last till tuesday. Where is Grand Isle NY, what part of NY is that? I may be able to hook you up with a rehabber is your area that would have the appropriate meds. Nutz

Wasn't Grand Island where they held the NYSWRC conference last year? There have got to be some major rehabbers out there for them to select that as a conference site, no??

nutz4squirls
10-15-2006, 09:23 PM
I know two excellent rehabbers in the Buffalo area that would help with this squirrel. I did pm on the subject but haven't heard anything. Nutz:dono

YamahaGirl
10-15-2006, 09:50 PM
I doubt the conference was here, I surely would have known and we're not that big an island, lol.

But anyway, Grand Island is between Niagara Falls and Buffalo, Western NY.

I dont keep the squirrels outside permanently, they are kept inside in a smaller cage, when the weather is warmer out I put them in the large cage outside so they can acclimate with outdoor sounds, etc. They are always brought inside at night before sundown.

I do not know of anyone, vet or rehabber, in my area that can help??

NUTZ: Thanks! Let me know if you hear anything. What will I have to do, give him to them? Will I get him back? What is the procedure? Thanks.
Heather

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
10-16-2006, 06:43 AM
My cousin works at a vet I could have gotten meds from but if I overnighted it wouldnt get there before Tues. now anyway.
Hope some solution comes quick, or he gets better.
Saying a prayer on this end!

Please give us an update how is he this morning?

Gabe
10-16-2006, 07:29 AM
Yamaha Girl
I live two hours from you and have meds available if you would like to make the trip. Clavamox is the better choice as it is a broader spectrum antibiotic, amoxicillin will work fine for pneumonia also.
Dr. Balonek is a vet and rehabber in Irondequoit, I'm sorry, but I cannot find his phone number, his practice is "Irondequoit Animal Hospital". The is also a vet in Fairport, "Fairport Animal Hospital", they are both about 1 hour from you and I'm sure they can help.
We did have the seminar on Grand Island last year, that's how I know you are two hours away.
I'm working this morning from 10 - 1pm Feel free to call me at work. 315-594-2400, or at home after 1:30, 315-754-6208 if you would like to get meds from me. But everyone is right, he needs them right away. I have given a small drop of children dimetapp which may help his breathing until you are able to get antibiotics. Good luck, Gabe

YamahaGirl
10-16-2006, 08:29 AM
WOW! I wish I had known about the seminar for sure!

Anyway, this morning, he seems better, he popped his head out of his hammock this morning and was back to the point where he does not want me to touch him, he doesnt want his formula either, which is normal for him. He was running around the cage and eating veggies all morning. I do not hear the popping sound anymore and he is not coughing anymore either that I heard in the hour I was with him this morning.

I am hoping for the best! Is is possible he may have just caught a minor cold or something from being outside?

I try to not put them outside when it is really cold, I have been putting them outside everyday for the past 2-3 weeks now to get them accustomed to the outside and the temperature, which has been from 70 down to 40 this past few weeks here. I thought this was the right way to do it. I plan to over-winter the 2 of them and then release in the spring.

Is it going to be too cold out now to get them used to being out there? It is down to the 40's and 50's right now. The cage is 8' long x 7' high x 4' deep and there is wood covering both ends and the bottom 3 feet all the way around the cage. It is up against my house so the back is covered also. We have plexiglass in the one end to allow sunlight to come in for them. Is this going to be alright all winter for them?? Now I am a little worried. He was only outside yesterday for about 6 hours and this happened in that time period, as I said, he was fine in the morning when I fed them the first time.

Anyway, I no longer feel that it is life threatening, but I am keeping a close watch on him and will keep everyone posted. I am still going to get the meds from my sister today and I got some pedialyte this morning to give him (hopefully he will take it, lol).

Thanks to everyone. I will keep all the phone numbers given and names of vets handy. Thank you again!:thankyou

Squerly
10-16-2006, 08:34 AM
Anyway, I no longer feel that it is life threatening, but I am keeping a close watch on him and will keep everyone posted. Great news YamahaGirl. Given this turn of events, I am moving this thread out of the LT section and over to the NLT. :thumbsup If a new problem comes up, please start a new thread in the LT forum.

Momma Squirrel
10-16-2006, 09:01 AM
So happy to hear things have turned for the better. Didn't want to stick my head in while you were trying to get help but I have been watching the thread and hoping for the best. Keep us posted on the progress. :thumbsup

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
10-16-2006, 09:12 AM
:thumbsup :wahoo

YamahaGirl
10-16-2006, 09:43 AM
BIG THANKS to everyone on here, I could not have done any of this without all of you.

These are my first 2 squirrels and I was sooo worried I was going to lose him.

Again, thanks to everyone and I will surely keep this thread updated!

Heather:thumbsup

Mrs. Jack
10-16-2006, 09:57 AM
So happy to hear things have turned for the better. Didn't want to stick my head in while you were trying to get help but I have been watching the thread and hoping for the best. Keep us posted on the progress. :thumbsup

Me too. Glad things are looking better. :peace

Somebody's Mother
10-16-2006, 12:20 PM
just watch him closely. i know that quite often my animals have rallied just before they die. sort of a way of reassuring us to leave them alone.
also with children they are quite often okay all day till the sun starts to set. then they sound sick and miserable. i think it is their subconscious way of staying away from the doctor.
i hope neither is the case with your squirrel. god bless!

Gabe
10-16-2006, 12:31 PM
YamahaGirl,
Glad to hear he is better, Maybe he was too cold. Do you have a small nest box, made out of wood, filled with losts of warm nesting material? I use old wool blankets, real sheeps wool, leaves and jam it full. They should be able to maintain their body heat that way. I also put them out during a "warm" spell, not many left unfortunately, and leave them out, do not keep bringing them in at night. We should have a few good days after tomorrow. Feed them good, especially at night. Sometimes it doesn't hurt to keep them on the syringe feedings so that they will get a good belly full in the evening to get that metabolism going. Good luck, maybe it is too late does anyone else have any good ideas? Mine are in an unheated building before going outdoors this time of year, I've never had to go from warm house to outside.
Gabe

YamahaGirl
10-16-2006, 12:54 PM
YamahaGirl,
Glad to hear he is better, Maybe he was too cold. Do you have a small nest box, made out of wood, filled with losts of warm nesting material? I use old wool blankets, real sheeps wool, leaves and jam it full. They should be able to maintain their body heat that way. I also put them out during a "warm" spell, not many left unfortunately, and leave them out, do not keep bringing them in at night. We should have a few good days after tomorrow. Feed them good, especially at night. Sometimes it doesn't hurt to keep them on the syringe feedings so that they will get a good belly full in the evening to get that metabolism going. Good luck, maybe it is too late does anyone else have any good ideas? Mine are in an unheated building before going outdoors this time of year, I've never had to go from warm house to outside.
Gabe

We have built 2 nesting boxes, one for each in case they dont want to share, lol. I got the designs for them off the web, they are about 16"tall x 10" deep x 9 wide. We have just finished them, they are not inside the large cage outdoors yet, but are ready today. I only keep them outside now during the day, for a few hours at a time. I wanted to make sure they had the nesting boxes before leaving them outside at all for long periods of time. Does anyone know what might be TOO cold for them at this point? What temps? Now I am so afraid to put them outside at all because of this, but I dont have a large enough cage to keep them inside all winter, they will go crazy, lol. They love the outdoor cage. Maybe it just needs a bit more protection from the elements. I have put a thermometer on the outside of the cage as well as one inside the cage so I can monitor the temps, I just dont have a clue what is too cold? Im a first time mom, lol.

So you think taking them out and then bringing them back inside at night might not be a good idea?

They are 13 weeks now, is it ok to leave them outside permanently now?

When they see me, they are ready to come inside, thats for sure, lol, but maybe that is "spoiling" them?

The male will not take his formula at all, once in a great while, the female takes it every time. She is the more "tame" one, comes right to me when I call her, but the male would just like to be left alone and seen from a distance, sometimes he will come up to get a nut but then runs right away.

Is there anything else that may be causing this? Could he have swallowed a piece of material from the bedding?

OH and one more thing I wanted to ask about, we just had a WHOPPER of a snow storm up here in buffalo and they have said we cannot drink the water here, it must be boiled first for 2 minutes before drinking, if by some chance he drank some of this tainted water, could that be causing this? There is a very minimal chance that this may have happened (if my daughter went down and gave them tap water, not knowing)

Today at lunch I checked on him and he was still moving around, just slower than normal. And his eyes still look like he does not feel good. Definitely better than last night, but not fully "right". I am going to spend alot of time with him tonight, observing and listening.

My sister has sent me the antibiotics anyway, just in case, is it ok to give them to him anyway? Will it hurt him at all? Id rather give them to him and be safe (if it is safe) than not give them to him and something bad happen.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Heather

YamahaGirl
10-16-2006, 05:29 PM
UPDATE:

He is not doing so well again. Hearing little pops and harder breathing. He did drink about 13cc of pedialyte and seemed to perk up a little bit. He lets me pet him, he always turns over so I rub his neck and belly, cute. His eyes look sad again and sick.

I should have the antibiotic by noon tomorrow.....

Keeping my fingers crossed..:)

Gabe
10-16-2006, 05:58 PM
Wow, he must really be scaring you, going from bad to good to not so good again. No matter if he seems better or not, I would start him on the antibiotics as soon as you get them, in 24 hours you should be noticing some improvement.
I would not give them a choice of nest boxes. Put only one in there, they really should snuggle for body heat at their age.
If the weather goes up to upper 50's, sunny and warm 40ish nights you may have an opportunity to try to get them outside. We should be getting that weather on Wed. I watch the weather very carefully and look for a 3-4 day sunny, no rain period before putting them in release cage. It's been difficult this year with all the rain.
It is normal for them to hide in their nest box for the first 2-3 days, sometimes they don't even come out to eat. The new surroundings are very frightening for them. It is helpful at this point if they are still being syringe fed, as sometimes I will put almost weaned babies out, and actually increase their syringe feedings from one to two per day to insure calories for warmth.
I hope he does get better soon, Gabe

YamahaGirl
10-16-2006, 07:35 PM
Ok, I will take your advice. Someone had told me to put seperate nest boxes for them in case the didnt get along. I suppose I can just put one in there and keep the other one out, if I notice any fighting or anything, I can always put the other one in there. We designed the cage to be big enough to divide the whole thing in 2 if necessary. We were going to put each box on opposite sides of the cage.

Do you think one is enough for the entire winter?

He is doing a bit better than a couple hours ago. He seems to really like the pedialyte and seems to perk up a bit after drinking it. I do notice slight popping when he is breathing but not as bad as the first day. I just have to get him through the night and 1/2 a day tomorrow and its antibiotic time. I hope he can wait that long. He's been through so much already throughtout his short life.

:)

squirrelfriend
10-17-2006, 06:21 AM
there is a web site that I got info on that said to give 1/16 of a 5oo mg vitamin C tablet crushed and deluted in water to the squirrel for conjestion. I did this for Weebles when she was sneezing for a couple of days and it worked. Here is the web site that I got it from.
http://www.hl-pc.org/~jbsum/squirrel.html#NutHea

island rehabber
10-17-2006, 06:31 AM
I would be very cautious in following anything from that website. That person has had her rehabbing license revoked and her dietary information is dangerous, in fact lethal to squirrels.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
10-17-2006, 07:17 AM
That medicine should be there today, right? Thank God she went ahead & sent it anyway!:thumbsup

Suro
10-17-2006, 07:30 AM
OMG that website is shocking!!!! :soapbox
Good god....
Sugar on wounds and not giving antibiotics??!!!
For dehydration not using proper rehydrating fluids, but giving scalded milk!!??
Diarrhoea is no big deal??!!
Don't feed them puppy formula, but ok COW'S milk - Jeez they are not Cow's either??!!
She says thousands have died being fed esbilac!? Thats not true!!!
Squirrels don't get mange?? EH?!

The info on that site is awful - can't it be taken down?!

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
10-17-2006, 07:57 AM
I remember finding that website when my squirrels were about 7-8 weeks old my Daughter & I were both in tears..we thought surely we had done everything wrong according to her info.
Then we decided that RB & BG were in too good of health to believe that nonsense!
:pissed I have never forgotten the fear I felt after reading her site.

island rehabber
10-17-2006, 08:03 AM
This is why the internet is dangerous sometimes...people can be so authoritative, especially if they write well, and convince others that they are the Last Word on every subject. "Clarissa" is a great example of that. Although some of the squirrel owners will not admit it openly, a few of the squirrels we have seen sicken and then die through reading their threads on this Board have been victims of Clarisaa's "diet" and advice. :nono

GhosTS
10-17-2006, 11:13 AM
Clarissa must get the Nobel Prize for Medicine or something if she is curing Pneumonia with Vit.C.squirrelfriend, I think weebles got well by himself.Vit.C will help clear things.But when you have an infection in your lungs Vit.C wont do much good.Antibiotics MUST be given to stop secondary infections and any bacteria activity.

Suro
10-17-2006, 11:47 AM
Absolutley, tbh I missed that part...sheesh Vit C for a cure for pneumonia....:shakehead
How on earth did she get a license...I dread to think how many babies have suffered from well meaning people following her ridiculous information.

Critter_Queen
10-17-2006, 11:58 AM
Ok, I will take your advice. Someone had told me to put seperate nest boxes for them in case the didnt get along. I suppose I can just put one in there and keep the other one out, if I notice any fighting or anything, I can always put the other one in there. We designed the cage to be big enough to divide the whole thing in 2 if necessary. We were going to put each box on opposite sides of the cage.

Do you think one is enough for the entire winter?

He is doing a bit better than a couple hours ago. He seems to really like the pedialyte and seems to perk up a bit after drinking it. I do notice slight popping when he is breathing but not as bad as the first day. I just have to get him through the night and 1/2 a day tomorrow and its antibiotic time. I hope he can wait that long. He's been through so much already throughtout his short life.

:)

Hang on to that second nestbox...you little girl is likely to kick him out of the shared one not too long from now. I disagree that they can't stay warm on their own at 13 weeks. Zeke better be able to or he's dead meat...he can't be in with anyone else I have due to age and other issues.

Are you providing nesting materials for the nestboxes? I use straw, leaves, and if I'm feeling guilty (as usual! LOL!) I put an old t-shirt in there too. These are the items and boxes they are released with, so I try to make it as natural as possible while still allowing my instincts a little leeway. :) I just can't see how straw and leaves can be warm! LOL! But it works for the wilds, so it'll work for ours...

I agree, though, that if he's ill, he may be having trouble maintaining his body temp on his own. But I don't think it has anything to do with age.

Keep us posted! You should be getting your meds anytime now!! Fingers-crossed!!

susanw
10-17-2006, 03:44 PM
OMG that website is shocking!!!! :soapbox
Good god....
Sugar on wounds and not giving antibiotics??!!!
For dehydration not using proper rehydrating fluids, but giving scalded milk!!??
Diarrhoea is no big deal??!!
Don't feed them puppy formula, but ok COW'S milk - Jeez they are not Cow's either??!!
She says thousands have died being fed esbilac!? Thats not true!!!
Squirrels don't get mange?? EH?!

The info on that site is awful - can't it be taken down?!

We have had squirrels come in with mange, never heard of them dying from espilac though. Maybe if you feed them to fast and they aspirate.

Somebody's Mother
10-17-2006, 03:54 PM
i have seen some of those wacky sites where they offer bad and sometimes deadly advice to squirrel lovers. this board has been the best for me so far.

the flying squirrel forum is nice but not quite as entertaining or involved as this one. i mean if you have a problem and post it on here then you will get responses and people will try and help you as much as possible.
i learned of my delightful rehabber from someone on here.
make no mistake epsilac is the best thing for baby squirrels. the next best thing to mother herself:D

i too am waiting to hear how the little guy is doing.

island rehabber
10-17-2006, 04:28 PM
How on earth did she get a license...I dread to think how many babies have suffered from well meaning people following her ridiculous information.

Forgive me if I repeat myself, but the worst thing I find about her "advice" is that cow's milk is SO MUCH CHEAPER than Esbilac or Fox Valley. So, what do you think John Q. Public is most happy about spending when he finds a baby squirrel? $1.80, or $18.00? :frustratedx

Momma Squirrel
10-17-2006, 05:46 PM
Did I miss something anyone heard from Yamaha Girl about the meds :dono How is the little one doing :dono Need update

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
10-17-2006, 07:28 PM
How is the little man I have been thinking of him all day?

Squerly
10-17-2006, 07:43 PM
Your absence is scaring me Yamaha Girl.

GhosTS
10-17-2006, 09:04 PM
I PMd her.But no reply yet.

YamahaGirl
10-18-2006, 08:08 AM
SORRY SORRY.....

As I posted the first day he got sick, he went from bad (night) to good (morning) then bad to good again....soooo YES I did get the antibiotics yesterday and to be on the safe side I started giving them to him right away!

Since he was still in the "good" mode becuase it was during the day, I watch him very carefully last night to see if he would go down hill at all. He did not! He stayed eating well, climbing around, no coughing or popping at all.

It is not very easy to get him to take the meds, he is back not wanting to be touched at all. I have to lure him into the sack and grab it before he runs back out, I then have to wrap him in a small fleece blanket with only his head out the top and hold him securely and squeeze the tiny syringe into the side of his mouth, once he tastes it he is fine, but catching him and wrapping is quite a feat!!!!

But, all in all, things seems to be going fine, this morning was ALOT easier ( I think I got lucky ), he jumped right in the sack, took the meds and even took about 10cc of formula!

Im keeping my fingers crossed. I should definitely keep him on the meds for the full 10 days twice a day right??

:thumbsup

YamahaGirl
10-18-2006, 08:20 AM
Hang on to that second nestbox...you little girl is likely to kick him out of the shared one not too long from now. I disagree that they can't stay warm on their own at 13 weeks. Zeke better be able to or he's dead meat...he can't be in with anyone else I have due to age and other issues.

Are you providing nesting materials for the nestboxes? I use straw, leaves, and if I'm feeling guilty (as usual! LOL!) I put an old t-shirt in there too. These are the items and boxes they are released with, so I try to make it as natural as possible while still allowing my instincts a little leeway. :) I just can't see how straw and leaves can be warm! LOL! But it works for the wilds, so it'll work for ours...

I agree, though, that if he's ill, he may be having trouble maintaining his body temp on his own. But I don't think it has anything to do with age.

Keep us posted! You should be getting your meds anytime now!! Fingers-crossed!!

Yes, we have put some leaves, straw and strips of an old tshirt in there for them. I am keeping the 2nd box on hand with things inside also "just in case"...

I am thinking I should wait the full 10 days on antibiotics before putting him back outside???

I am so worried about putting him back outside now, both of them for that matter, it is getting so cold out now and it would figure that now when the weather is a bit warmer (50's) he is ill. I am afraid it will be too cold to get them used to being outdoors before winter comes and they will be out there permanently.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Heather

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
10-18-2006, 08:25 AM
Oh wonderful news!!! I hope he continues on the healthy path for you!:jump

Momma Squirrel
10-18-2006, 08:28 AM
You had us all scared there when we didn't hear from you :nono more gray hair, my hair dresser is going to start charging me double to cover all that up :D But news that was well worth waiting for :wahoo I know you are so happy things are going good, keep us posted.

Critter_Queen
10-18-2006, 08:31 AM
How long have they been outside so far? Had they been staying out there at night?

I would say that keeping him inside for 10 days won't be detrimental to him...but I would still put him outside during the day (when he seems to be on the upswing anyway) so he can keep whatever winter coat he has established so far. Do you have a room in your house that you can close the door and shut the heat vent off? It will still be plenty warm in there, but not so warm he sheds from being too hot. I kept an almost completely hairless squirrel (mange) in 40-50 degrees all last winter, as a single adult, on the advice of several rehabbers, my mentor and my vet. Since it was indoors, there was no worry of frost or freezing temps and the point of it was to encourage his body to re-grow hair rapidly...and he did. Beautiful fur. :)

As long as you can get him back outside permanently by Halloween, I'd say it's ok to bring him in for now.

Good job! You've had your share of issues with this little guy! You are doing great! :thumbsup

YamahaGirl
10-18-2006, 08:51 AM
How long have they been outside so far? Had they been staying out there at night?

I would say that keeping him inside for 10 days won't be detrimental to him...but I would still put him outside during the day (when he seems to be on the upswing anyway) so he can keep whatever winter coat he has established so far. Do you have a room in your house that you can close the door and shut the heat vent off? It will still be plenty warm in there, but not so warm he sheds from being too hot. I kept an almost completely hairless squirrel (mange) in 40-50 degrees all last winter, as a single adult, on the advice of several rehabbers, my mentor and my vet. Since it was indoors, there was no worry of frost or freezing temps and the point of it was to encourage his body to re-grow hair rapidly...and he did. Beautiful fur. :)

As long as you can get him back outside permanently by Halloween, I'd say it's ok to bring him in for now.

Good job! You've had your share of issues with this little guy! You are doing great! :thumbsup

Hmm, I would say they have been outside during the day for at least 4-5 hours for about, at least 2 weeks now. Never stayed outside at night yet. On the weekends I would put them outside in the morning and bring them back in right before dusk. During the week I would put them out there at lunch time around 1pm and bring back in around dusk. There has been some cold days that they didnt go out at all. Right now they are in our apartment downstairs that is unoccupied, it is not heated as we have not turned on our furnace yet, it is cool down there but not as cold as outside. I even opened the window down there so it would stay cooler.

How can I tell if a winter coat has started to grow? I noticed a few longer hairs sticking out on them, but nothing signigicant.

So as long as I have the nest box in there with warm materials in it, they should be able to avoid the colder temps by going inside that right?

Maybe ill wait 1/2 the time, 5 days, of taking the antibiotic and start putting him back outside. I know they miss being out there for sure, there is so much more room out there for them to climb, we have big log/branches secured in there for them to crawl on and chew, they carry leaves into the fleece sack to make their own nest before we had the box in there.

I hope it all works out or I guess Ill have to purchase some sort of large indoor cage til next spring, I would just think they would go nuts being in captivitiy all winter.

Heather

Somebody's Mother
10-18-2006, 08:55 AM
i think you will go nuts if you have to keep them in all winter. i know how you feel. i couldn't imagine trying to keep karen in all winter. she would have had a fit. she probably would have attacked me or the cocker spaniel.
thanks for the update. i was just going to share part of your email.
i know everyone was worried.
good job heather!

Buddy'sMom
10-18-2006, 09:03 AM
...It is not very easy to get him to take the meds, he is back not wanting to be touched at all. I have to lure him into the sack and grab it before he runs back out, I then have to wrap him in a small fleece blanket with only his head out the top and hold him securely and squeeze the tiny syringe into the side of his mouth, once he tastes it he is fine, but catching him and wrapping is quite a feat!!!!...

Have you tried luring him with a nut or avocado (or whatever he loves most)? This would both lure him and also make it more of a pleasant experience than punishment of some kind, so he doesn't grow to hate the sack.

Gabe
10-18-2006, 05:26 PM
Or... if he likes the formula, lure him with that and while he's sucking on that push the antibioitics gently in the side of his mouth. Certainly keep him on meds as long as he needs them. I was taught to give them for 3 days after all symptoms have disappeared. What does everyone else do?

YamahaGirl
10-20-2006, 11:30 AM
Things are going very well, he easily hops right into the sack now, then takes the meds, and then takes formula!!

Newest worry:

I have not been putting him outside until I am very sure he is not sick anymore, and of course now it is down to the 30's here during the day!!

I am nervous I am not going to be able to put them outside for the winter! I know I probly need to have some tough love here and just put them out there, but Im afraid they are going to get sick again?

I guess Ill just have to keep a very close watch on them, the nest box is out there now and the sides are up on the large outside cage, all I can do is hope for the best right?

I know I was told earlier to have them out there by Halloween, but its sooo cold out there...ugh.

Gabe
10-20-2006, 01:09 PM
Wow YamahaGirl, I don't know what to say. They're in an unheated room, right? Maybe we will get an Indian Summer, haha, Watch the weather and see what happens by the end of next week. If only the sun would come out, it would be such a big help. This rain rots, it makes everything so damp. Your outside cage sounds really wonderful and protected, not much different than an unheated room.

YamahaGirl
10-20-2006, 01:22 PM
Wow YamahaGirl, I don't know what to say. They're in an unheated room, right? Maybe we will get an Indian Summer, haha, Watch the weather and see what happens by the end of next week. If only the sun would come out, it would be such a big help. This rain rots, it makes everything so damp. Your outside cage sounds really wonderful and protected, not much different than an unheated room.

Yes, its an unheated room but it is by no means as cold as it is outside at all. I am thinking about opening more windows and let it get a little cooler everyday in there, maybe this will help!?

I agree, the rain is "dampening" my plans, no pun intended, lol.

*keeps fingers crossed*

We have a tree business so I keep close track of the weather, watching several times a day, so that wont be a problem! It has been rather nice this past week, very bad timing!

Critter_Queen
10-20-2006, 01:32 PM
don't worry about it...the weather will break eventually. And high 30's isn't too bad... I would just put them out for a couple hours a day for now...even if they just sleep in the nestbox the whole time...it will help them be used to the sounds, smells, cold, etc when he's done with the meds.

I wouldn't recommend keeping them inside all winter. I had to do that with my mangey one last year and it was hard on him.

You have 11 days until Halloween...and if the weather holds out for you for another 10 days or so after that, you're cool...no worries. Halloween is what we think of as ideal here in Iowa, but it's not a hard and fast rule. It can be in the 50's her in November some years...soo... You and they will be fine.

Just take them out for a little adventure every day now that he's feeling good and they will adapt very well. I promise. :thumbsup

YamahaGirl
10-20-2006, 02:14 PM
OK, thank you very much! Everyone on here does a great job of helping me not worry so much!!

don't worry about it...the weather will break eventually. And high 30's isn't too bad... I would just put them out for a couple hours a day for now...even if they just sleep in the nestbox the whole time...it will help them be used to the sounds, smells, cold, etc when he's done with the meds.

I wouldn't recommend keeping them inside all winter. I had to do that with my mangey one last year and it was hard on him.

You have 11 days until Halloween...and if the weather holds out for you for another 10 days or so after that, you're cool...no worries. Halloween is what we think of as ideal here in Iowa, but it's not a hard and fast rule. It can be in the 50's her in November some years...soo... You and they will be fine.

Just take them out for a little adventure every day now that he's feeling good and they will adapt very well. I promise. :thumbsup

Stephanie K Zon
10-21-2006, 10:47 AM
:Love_Icon Hi everyone When I frist found Missy I didn't have anything except some Ornacyn-Plus with vitamins& amino acids treatment for respiratory diseases of birds also corrects diarrhea and vitamins deficiencies it has a broad-spectrum antibiotic (erythromycin) I wasn't sure if it would work but if it worked for birds maybe it will for squirrels and it must have because she is grown and gone and I'm working on number 2 and she is a doll to. If any one has any feed back on this drug I would love to hear it Oh and you can buy it over the counter in any pet store or Wall-Mart type store I will pray for every thing to work out good God Bless and keep all squirrel lovers Stephanie.:wave123

YamahaGirl
10-23-2006, 09:49 AM
UPDATE:

Things are going smoothly still. He is fine, back to normal for sure! I have opened another window downstairs to let cooler air in. I can tell they are feeling it becuase now both of them huddle together when they sleep more, cute.:jump

Female is def starting to ween herself off formula while the male is starting to drink it more than before, lol. Ill try to give it at least once a day as long as they will take it. My female does not like the nipple on anymore, she would rather lick it as it comes out the end of the syringe. Both do it that way alot.

I think things will be fine, thanks to everyone on here for all your help and support through all my issues!

Oh, is there any fruits or veggies that you should NOT give them to eat?

Momma Squirrel
10-23-2006, 10:07 AM
:wahoo Great news, I just love it when there is a happy ending. You have done a terrific job for those little ones :bowdown keep us posted and let us know when they are released. We are all parents here even if we aren't where the squirrels are :)

GhosTS
10-23-2006, 11:15 AM
YamahaGirl, its good to hear that he is doing good.

When they are older they wont suck the nipple.They will just lick it.That is the way.

There are many things that you should NOT feed a squirrel.So I will post what you can feed a squirrel.

Kale,broccoli,apple pieces,grapes,sweet potatoe, pumpkin+seeds, carrot, cauliflower, squashes,walnuts filberts pecans and hard shelled nuts , small amount of avocado,zupreem primate diet,rodent block.

I think thats most of it.

island rehabber
10-23-2006, 12:02 PM
YAY great news, Yamaha Girl! :thumbsup
The list GhosTS posted above is just about perfect....go with it and you won't go wrong. Avoid peanuts, sunflower seeds, burgers and fries while they are under your roof. :D