PDA

View Full Version : Hey I'm New and Full of Questions

Kairi1
02-14-2010, 03:08 AM
Hey everone!!! my name is Cesar and I've wanted a flying squirrel since I was about 5yrs old. I was wondering if anyone could help me find out how legal it is to have one in NYC. I've been searching online and continue to get mixed messages including that the northern flying squirrel is illegal and the southern is completely legal. Other webpages have told me I need a special license but I do not know where I would to get one of those in NYC.
If anyone can help PLEASEEEEE help me, I would be forever indebted to you.

TinyPaws
02-14-2010, 04:40 AM
:wave123 Hi :Welcome toTSB

We have a member....Island Rehabber who would know for sure...She should be on later today...Sorry for not being able to answer your question....

Jackie in Tampa
02-14-2010, 05:54 AM
:Welcome :wave123

island rehabber
02-14-2010, 06:54 AM
yo, Cesar -- :Welcome neighbor! I'm on City Island...check out my "My Beautiful Bronx" thread when you have time. :D

I have always been told that no squirrels are 'legal' as pets in NYC, flying or otherwise. A licensed rehabilitator can rescue and then release them, but not keep them as a pet unless they apply for another "Permit to Possess" license which means you use the animal for educational purposes. (They actually make you submit proof that you've gone to this school or that nature center and given presentations.)

I can see that you are up at 4:00am which would make you a perfect flying squirrel parent :D. I'm not saying don't get one, as they are wonderful pets from what everyone here has told me. The thing will be to make sure you know of a vet who will treat your flyer should anything go wrong -- BEFORE you get one -- because that vet will be technically 'bending the rules'. I may be able to help you, with an email to my vet just to find out. You would not want to have an animal that you love get sick, and then no vet within 100 miles will see him. That's your biggest problem.

Anyway, check out our FLying Squirrel Forum and enjoy! :thumbsup

amylou
02-14-2010, 04:16 PM
:Welcome Definitely find a vet that would be willing to see your sfs before you bring it home. Hope things work out for you! :thumbsup

Pointy Tale
02-14-2010, 05:55 PM
:wave123 Cesar! :Welcome

island rehabber
02-14-2010, 06:53 PM
Cesar, I have good news -- check your Private Messages :thumbsup

Ultra Peepi
02-16-2010, 11:49 AM
:Welcome good luck on the search for a friend!