PDA

View Full Version : First post!

snowman
02-10-2010, 04:34 PM
Well here I am, like the title says this is my first post on this board. I decided that I would post here first before looking at the remainder of the board because I've often found that people fail to post there information later.
I'm 42 male, married with two kids, and hummm I'll try and guess, 137 animals living under our care! I know that sounds CRAZY and sometimes it is but the fact is that I raise snakes, so 130 of the 137 are colubrids. The remaining 7 pets are a dog, crested gecko, two hamsters, a fish (my daughters) and two Rio-Grande Paint turtles. Well then there is my wife's boa she has had for 17 years. Anyway I've kept many exotics over they decades :). I grew up on a farm and that allowed many opportunities that aren't always to easy to have when you live in the city. While some of you might find keeping zebra, porcupine, armadillo, Great horned owls, barn owls, crows, magpies, red fox, opossum or raccoons something normal it was something new and exciting for me every time a rescue was given to me in a chance to survive. Now I have had encounters with my share of squirrels over the years I've never kept one as a pet long term.
My goal in joining this site is to learn before I purchase... I don't want to purchase a squirrel to find out I should have done more research before making the plunge. My apology if you think I should have read every post and lurked for months prior to joining your site.
My sites are initially set on getting Richardson's ground squirrels. I grew up with 13 stripped ground squirrels in Western Kansas and while my dad kept them as pets as a kid I never did. Well what follows will surely be an adventure in learning! Please help me gather needed information!

Pointy Tale
02-10-2010, 05:16 PM
Snowman— :Welcome

amylou
02-10-2010, 07:07 PM
:Welcome to the board! I hope you are able to learn what you are looking for! I'm not familiar with ground squirrels, but I'm sure someone here could help you out.

Chickenlegs
02-10-2010, 07:21 PM
How smart. So many of us have kinda fallen on our faces into the wonderful world of squirrels and here you are--getting informed. A better lot of folks you'll never meet--every one with a "squirrels first" attitude. The rehabbers here are the caring-est folks on the planet. They're why my baby is a fat and sassy healthy squirrel-girl. WELCOME!!!!!!!!

Feeze
02-10-2010, 08:13 PM
Welcome!:Welcome

I hope you find this forum as enjoyable as it is informative.:D I wish you the best of luck in your research.:thumbsup

snowman
02-10-2010, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the WELCOMES! Well I'm going to have to do some first things first research. In reading here I see that squirrels aren't legal to posses in Kansas. I wonder if ground squirrels are part of the list or if it's just those who are native to the state. I'll send a PM to a rehab member here on the board to inquire, I don't recall the name but the individual is from Kansas.

Lulu-Bean's Mommy
02-10-2010, 09:20 PM
:Welcome

Thanks for joining us here! It's a great place to get the info you need/want, and everyone here is determined to help!
Thanks, too, for doing your research first! I'd check out the Kansas laws on wildlife, they've got to have a web site, and they should list specifically what is and isn't legal. Whether or not you can find a little guy of your own, I hope you stick around. All squirrel-lovers are welcome!

~Lulu-Bean's Mommy

Jackie in Tampa
02-11-2010, 06:26 AM
:Welcome :wave123
this is the right place for sure!
you're gonna love it, but be careful...it IS addicting!
:wave123

SquirrelNut
02-11-2010, 07:45 AM
welcome, snowman! yes, i agree that this site is extremely addicting! lots of information here and many people willing to help at any time! they are wonderful!

Ultra Peepi
02-16-2010, 11:57 AM
:Welcome