PDA

View Full Version : Help Bloody Urine!!

heidiann
10-13-2006, 07:31 PM
Oh gosh, everything was going so well and tonight I spotted 2 blood tinged urine spots on the sheet. Heres the rundown.I have 4. They're about 13 weeks old. They've weaned completely from the esbilac and are on a steady and plenteous diet of sweet potatoe, mushrooms,broccoil,assorted fruit, acorns,brazil nuts,pecans,,cherrios. I've seen them drinking their water.They are active and all boys. Right now they're sleeping so I can't tell you if their behavior changed. How do I figure it out who it is?And how bad is this and what do I do first. The soonest I could get them to a rehabber would be sunday. Vet is out of the question. So what do I do? Please help me.:confused:

island rehabber
10-13-2006, 08:07 PM
Heidiann, the most likely cause of this is a urinary tract infection. You can try holistic methods such as giving them all some yogurt to be sure of treating the one who has the problem. However you may need to give antibiotic therapy and that would mean determining who has the infection and then dosing correctly -- if you can get them to your rehabber for the meds, great. In the meantime encourage them to drink as much water as you can by replacing it often....mine always like their water really cold, I've noticed. This will help to flush everyone's urinary tract.

nutz4squirls
10-13-2006, 08:13 PM
Are your sure it was blood or was it more like an orangey colored urine. The tannings in acorns will darken their urine alot but it should not cause blood, though it could be mistaken for blood because the urine is dark with a reddish tinge. I do feed acorns during the acorn season and I have seen this dark tinge and also thought it was blood untill I did some research on acorns. Also, check for swollen toes, one of the squirrels may have snagged a nail in the cage and that would certainly create some bloody spots. Nutz

Mrs. Jack
10-13-2006, 09:41 PM
Good luck, Heidiann. I know you must be really worried. Hopefully they'll be fine, or quickly made to be fine.

heidiann
10-14-2006, 09:49 PM
Thank you all for your advice and replies. I'm sorry to take so long to respond. Fell asleep soon after writing then sick today so had no energy for anything, even typing. I changed their water, took out acorns and gave yogurt today. They didn't like it much but the good news is, After changing their bedding and obseving them today, there has not been another bloody spot and they all seem to be their usual active selves. Maybe it was just the acorns or some irritation. But It really looked red like bloody urine. I know we may not be out of the water yet but, no incidents today sure is a hopeful sign. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again. Sorry I freaked. Heidi

heidiann
10-15-2006, 10:29 AM
Thanks skye. I'm still crappy but they're doing great. No red and they're having a ball today. Wheeew! I am so relieved. It's hard to take care of sickies when you need someone taking care of you. My daughter spent hours today playing with them and feeding them through the bars today. Thank God I have such a loving enthusiastic little helper. She's as in love with them as I am. I am so blessed.:)

ravenlaws32
10-15-2006, 11:09 PM
glad its better but take very serious . we lost our beloved lewis in september it started with finding blood in urine on a sunday , then to vet on monday got antibiotics and sub fluids then alot better monday and good tuesday night ,then wednesday moring he started having seizure and he passed away at 730 pm that night , i will never forget thatnight and the time he died. look for more on lewis and his struggles here on on the board if you like . just please take it seriously which im sure you are. i even winced reading the title of this thread. i do hope thing go well and all of them make it .

heidiann
10-16-2006, 12:10 AM
Thank you Raven. I am still keeping a watchful eye. I feel better about them but am still un-nerved. I remember your sad story about Lewis. I believe I posted to you after he died. I am so sorry. I teared up reading about it. Thank you for caring about my babies. I hope it was not what it looked like and just a fluke.I'll keep you posted.