PDA

View Full Version : when to release

suzy72532
10-13-2006, 11:04 AM
Hey Yall

I have a Freddy and I think he is about 14 weeks old..He finally gave up his bottle this am and I am so proud of him ( a little sad too) . He still will not eat fresh fruit and veggies real well. He is fat and seems happy. I have done my best not to hold him and he refuses to be held, he loves to use the family as his own personal race track but wants to do the touching and not be touched unless he is wanting to play. My husband built him a 6 foot tall by 3 feet wide fenced apartment ( I don't like to use the word cage) and we have put lots of tree limbs and knotted ropes. He has a nesting box that he regulary pushes all his bedding out of. He stores food and he is getting very aggressive with other members of the family to the point of attacking and biting. He bit me for the 1st time last night and I powdered his little britches for him. We cut limbs from the different oak trees and pines and tie them to the sides of the apartment and he has learned to cut his own acorns he can break and hull any nut he wants. He always wants out of his home so I know he will be happy to be released but when should I do this? I think I should go ahead and winter him but the husband is getting worried about the biting. What to do?:dono

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
10-13-2006, 11:15 AM
Is his cage outside?
If it is then I believe about 16 weeks to be free?
If he has not yet been outside then I will let a rehabber answer that one?
The little guy is only bitting because he wants to be on his way now...its not something he can be punished for its nature at its finest. Depending on where you live he needs a nice warm coat, found your pictures and it looks like he's been in the garage. Thats good. Hes getting a nice coat built up then.

to cut his own acorns he can break and hull any nut he wantsThats a good sign he's ready Mom!

Critter_Queen
10-13-2006, 01:29 PM
Hey Yall

I have a Freddy and I think he is about 14 weeks old..He finally gave up his bottle this am and I am so proud of him ( a little sad too) . He still will not eat fresh fruit and veggies real well. He is fat and seems happy. I have done my best not to hold him and he refuses to be held, he loves to use the family as his own personal race track but wants to do the touching and not be touched unless he is wanting to play. My husband built him a 6 foot tall by 3 feet wide fenced apartment ( I don't like to use the word cage) and we have put lots of tree limbs and knotted ropes. He has a nesting box that he regulary pushes all his bedding out of. He stores food and he is getting very aggressive with other members of the family to the point of attacking and biting. He bit me for the 1st time last night and I powdered his little britches for him. We cut limbs from the different oak trees and pines and tie them to the sides of the apartment and he has learned to cut his own acorns he can break and hull any nut he wants. He always wants out of his home so I know he will be happy to be released but when should I do this? I think I should go ahead and winter him but the husband is getting worried about the biting. What to do?:dono

How long has he been living full-time outside? If he's able to crack all types of nuts, is becoming ornery, is no longer on formula (for a week), and there are plenty of trees in your area that still have live leaves...it's time to release him. Since it sounds like he just stopped formula today, I would wait until next weekend and open his apartment door...permanently. I would also suggest not allowing him on your person from now on as well...you wouldn't want him to jump on the neighbor's kid and use him for a jungle gym...

It really sounds like he's ready...at most I'd wait two more weeks if your weather holds out. Good luck!! You did a great job raising him! :thumbsup

ETA: I see you are in Arkansas...if you REALLY wanted to, you could keep him through part of November...but no longer than that... He doesn't need to be wintered if you live that far south. :)