PDA

View Full Version : How many have thought about keeping babies?

ac556k
10-13-2006, 08:35 AM
My wife and I are getting fairly attached to these little creatures. She mentioned maybe we could keep them as pets? I really don't want the agrevation and responsibilty of finding a squirrel sitter when we go on vacation. Plus I bet they would be happier outside crapping on my car and ruining the fruit trees. Anyone ever keep the the baby squirrels?

Critter_Queen
10-13-2006, 09:04 AM
People do...but really you ought to leave that up to the squirrel...they'll let you know if they will be happy as pets.

Also, have you considered vet care? Appropriate caging? Will you give them the run of your house? They chew EVERYTHING... A healthy and well-cared-for squirrel can live 15 years or more in captivity...are you willing to make that kind of committment? If you tame them, you may never be able to make them wild enough for release if you change your mind.

What should be most important is the SQUIRREL's best interest. Would you want to be caged in your house for your entire life? Probably not, we aren't made to be caged, and neither are they...

BUT, some wild squirrels would rather be pets...so again, I say leave it up to the individual squirrel IF you are willing to provide for it for it's ENTIRE lifetime regardless...

Buddy'sMom
10-13-2006, 09:24 AM
We, too, have become totally attached and are heartbroken at the thought of Buddy leaving. We will miss him terribly. BUT: keep him? Absolutely not.

He clearly hates being in a cage for long periods -- but it is exhausting having him run around the living room! He loves the windows, climbs the screens, tries to get to the plants outside in the windowbox. Starting to explore a broader territory. We know he longs to climb trees (early, SCARY, experience letting him play in the grass! :nono ) and run free. It would be cruel to keep him inside.

Also, although we have devoted the past 2 months to him, realistically, we know we cannot do this over the long haul, for years. So we are preparing (all 3 of us) for release.

snakegetters
10-13-2006, 11:00 AM
The three I raised were excellent candidates for permanent captivity since it was pretty obvious how well bonded they became to me despite my efforts to encourage their independence. If I had not found the soft release option at a wildlife sanctuary for them, I would have found them a captive home before releasing them into the wild in a dangerous area.

A permanent resident squirrel in your home is a huge responsibility, highly demanding of your time, money and energy. I wouldn't undertake it personally. But if it's worth it to you to give up a big chunk of your home and your life to a wild animal, more power to ya. Just take good care of the little guys.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
10-13-2006, 11:09 AM
They can have the best of both worlds if you live in an area with some large trees in your yard, get some nesting boxes & place them fairly high. If you keep the food available ..they will stick around. However if you live in a neighborhood with a lot of dogs & cats roaming forget about it.
Keeping them is #1 against the law, & #2 sad for them to have to be caged. If you have a disabled baby by all means that is the right thing to do then, if your state allows it?
If you have a family, thats a lot to ask of them because vacations are out of the question.
The best thing for everyone is to let them have the life they were meant to live. Its not like a dog or cat if for some reason you cant keep them anymore..you cant give them away.

ac556k
10-13-2006, 01:39 PM
Actually it is legal here in Florida.

quirlgirl
10-13-2006, 02:49 PM
Hi ac556k, when I found Scooter as a baby about 4 years ago I didn't know then that he would become my pet.I thought his back legs might be ok a little later down the line ( he can't use his back legs but just a tiny bit) and I didn't even think about keeping him as a pet. I have raised 4 other squirrels and released when the time was right for them. It became clear that I couldn't release Scooter, everyone is right, it takes up most of your time giving them everything they need. He has chewed up and damaged everything in this trailer, I tried to block things from him but even with two good legs you wouldn't believe the things he could climb and get into. Alot of squirrels can be trained to a litter box but Scooter is not one of them. He sleeps in his nest right behind my pillow but doesn't pop or pee in his bed, he has a fury ledge beside the bed that he goes on and I have to wash it and him several times daily,every day, 7 days a week.Up until the last 6 months or so I took him out side every day for many hours to climb trees, bury nuts, hunt for food,etc. In the summer I spent all day out there in my woods with him. He would pace, climb the screen door, climb on me wanting to go outside till we did. For some reason he don't want to go out as much and it breaks my heart, squirrels are put here to be out in the trees and they don't understand why they can't.I refuse to cage him but that is just me, I wouldn't want to be in a cage while my people are at work, vacation or wherever. Rehabing for release is different, they have to be treated that way where they won't get tame and can't make it outside.If by some miracle he could use his back legs tomarrow and get wild I would let him go in a heart beat even tho I love him so so much and would be totaly lost without him. Sorry for rambling on so but it is a hugh responsability, just give it alot of thought.....:)