PDA

View Full Version : New babies seem a little bloated

lizharrell1
01-30-2010, 06:47 PM
My two new girls, that I am estimating to be around 2 1/2 weeks old and that I just got yesterday, seem to be a little bloated this evening. As of now, they are on half strength FV, feeding every 2 1/2-3 hours. Weights this morning were Brenna 42 grams and Tessa 43 grams, both up from their weigh in when I got them yesterday. They are both pooping upon stimulation (sometimes on their own while feeding). I have to work a little harder to get them to pee. Their poop right now is the usual black color they get from having mom's milk in their system, but it is slowly lightening in color.I fed both babies around 5 this evening, and I went in a little while ago just to check on the heating pad temp and one baby was up against the plastic side of their Sterilyte container and I noticed her belly was pretty round. I picked her up, her belly was taut but not overly tight. I immediately started stimulating her to potty, she poo'd but couldnt tell if she peed (I use a warm wet cotton ball). Her sister did the same. I continued to stimulate for around 5 minutes. Bellies still seem round but not quite as bad as they were. I have never experienced any bloat or gas problems with any of my other babies and I am just wondering if this normal when switching to the FV?:dono How much simethicone would be safe to give these two? Any other ideas?

PBluejay2
01-30-2010, 07:36 PM
I always give Pedialyte the first 12-24 hours to flush their systems before introducing formula. Did you? Maybe the switch from mother's milk to formula is causing problems. Disregard if you did so. Alao, I know a lot of people like to use cotton balls, paint brushes, Q-tips, but I've found the most effective way is a fingertip with a smudge of Vaseline on it. There's more control and no doubt if they pee.

lizharrell1
01-30-2010, 08:22 PM
Each baby got 3 feeds of Pedialyte before starting on first 1/4 strength FV, then 2 feeds later 1/2 strength and they are still on 1/2 strength FV. With the Esbilac I always added the heavy cream and yogurt (the yogurt was something I started with the later litters, but found it worked great and gave me nice healthy plump babies (along with the heavy cream). Is there any benefit that anyone has noticed from adding these two ingredients to the FV? This is my first time using FV-smells wonderful and I assume, to squirrels, it tastes good? :dono Should I put the babies back on Pedialyte for a few feeds? Am I maybe feeding too often? :dono If someone could please go look at the nursery thread I started "Meet Brenna" , I am correct on their age? They both have just a little brown popping in around their noses. I am estimating 2 1/2 weeks? Any advice welcome!!! But what IS a safe dose of Mylicon (simethicone)?

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
01-31-2010, 01:52 AM
Bloating was my main reason for switching from FV to Esbilac back when I first started rehabbing, everything I gave the stuff to bloated or got diarrhea or both. I switched to it again this fall, though and had no issues. Are you keeping you powder in the fridge? It doesn't say to on the can, but I think that leaving it out is what caused my guys issues when I used it before. This time I kept it in the fridge (since I am used to doing that with the Esbilac anyways) and no issues at all.

I usually keep my guys on pedialyte for 12-24 hours like PBluejay and then I transition them to full strength more slowly than you did. I do 4:1 (4 parts water to 1 part powder) for 24 hours, then switch to 3:1 for 24 hours, then 2:1 which they stay at. Don't mix fv at anything more concentrated than 2:1.

I agree with you, they look 2 and a half to 3 weeks old to me too. I usually feed squirrels that age no more than every 4 hours. I usually start them on 5 feedings a day for the first couple days then put them to 4 times a day.

As for simethicone, I usually add 1-2 drop to the formula for the feeding and shake it up.

lizharrell1
01-31-2010, 07:37 AM
Both babies pooped REALLY well and Tessa no longer looks really bloated. Brenna pooped A LOT , peed some, but still looks a little bloated, so unfortunately for her, I opted to make her skip a feeding. I do keep the FV dry powder in the fridge. I have only been making up enough formula for a couple of feeds. I also, after posting this thread last night diluted the formula even more than half strength. Thanks guys! Will keep you posted!

Nancy in New York
01-31-2010, 07:44 AM
Both babies pooped REALLY well and Tessa no longer looks really bloated. Brenna pooped A LOT , peed some, but still looks a little bloated, so unfortunately for her, I opted to make her skip a feeding. I do keep the FV dry powder in the fridge. I have only been making up enough formula for a couple of feeds. I also, after posting this thread last night diluted the formula even more than half strength. Thanks guys! Will keep you posted!

Thanks for the update...you're doing wonderful with these little peanuts...:grouphug :grouphug

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
01-31-2010, 09:35 AM
glad they are pooping and looking better. I don't worry to much if they are still pooping and especially if they are peeing. When they are still going it means they are processing it and maybe just dillute a little more or feed a little less often and the problem should resolve itself. I worry when they aren't peeing because that means they aren't processing the food you are giving.

lizharrell1
01-31-2010, 09:56 AM
The bloating seems to have resolved itself in both babies!! Hooray!! Both babies poops this morning are a mustardy yellow color and they poop A LOT!! And both are peeing up a storm!! Thank goodness!! I guess I was worried for nothing!! Thanks for the help everyone!!
Liz:thankyou

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
01-31-2010, 06:15 PM
:wahoobetter to worry over nothing than not to do anything when something is really up. Glad both little cuties are looking good and feeling better.