PDA

View Full Version : Dremel bits for filing teeth

SqrrlGrrl
01-29-2010, 05:14 AM
Hi!

I was hoping someone had experience treating malocclusions by filing down the teeth with a dremel and might be able to suggest suitable bits to use.

Thanks,
Abby

Jackie in Tampa
01-29-2010, 05:39 AM
hmmm, will said sq be asleep?
or on valium?
not saying it won't work, but I have clipped the teeth to a few 'pet sqs', one of which is semi-handicapped, and I cannot imagine them being tortured with a dremel while awake...much less surviving the torture:shakehead

they are pistols to do manually...
and a wild is totally outta the question.:rotfl jmo
and if under gas, moist vets have dremel tips for this!
Sqs do not tolerate stress well...be careful.
also, you can create an odontoma, not a good idea, jmo!
Good luck

SqrrlGrrl
01-29-2010, 05:59 AM
Of course the squirrel will be sedated! I'd like to stay in one piece and she HATES having her teeth done.

I've just decided that this is the safer way to go since I've fractured teeth, regardless of how careful I am or how good my clippers are. I also think a dremel will make it significantly easier for me to get the proper edges on her teeth.

No worries, I know what I'm doing. Just hoping someone out there has bit tips! :)

Jackie in Tampa
01-29-2010, 07:21 AM
:shakehead hmm., wondering if you call a clinic that offers specail dentistry...
let me ck at my local 'big clinic...my tech may can recommend something...
the clinic that is doing the sedation probably has catalogs, I would think, but who knows...I'll ask...
I know I recently had a cut that made me nervous, but the first time ever..scared the pajees outta me...
but I cannot phathom sedating a sq every three weeks for life...that too scares me...yikes...why do these kids mess up their teeth:shakehead
I am a bench jeweler and maybe I'll go look at my tips...just for curiosity...heck, I probably have a bunch that would work...they are all tiny...now you have me curious what I WOULD use if I had to:dono

babybleu
01-31-2010, 07:53 PM
chumpy mumps needs her teeth trimmed every 3 weeks. I took her to a vet that gassed her and used a dremel and she wasn't good for 3 days afterwards... wouldn't eat, come out, etc. Oh, yeah, it was a nice job but I think she was really hurting. The vet I use now says that the dremel can become hot very quickly and possibly burn them and cause a lot of discomfort. Have you ever filed your nails with one??? It gets hot really fast. My vet also says that the frequent gassing is not good for their systems, either. She doesn't like it either but it's that or she won't be able to eat. Her tops and bottoms are both screwed up so it's very difficult. If you could file them somehow with a manual file, that would be great but I've yet to be able to do that. Hey, Jackie, can we come up with something that they really can't resist that they'd chew on?? I was thinking about those bars that go in bird cages and even bought one, but she would have nothing to do with it.

Good luck with the dremel, but be soooo careful.

Secret Squirrel
02-03-2010, 02:30 PM
Please forget he dremel for trimming teeth. Too much fuss for trimming teeth, fast and quick with the squirrel awake....and wrapped like a burrito...!!!
It is so much easier to clip squirrel teeth with a hand tool. Small nippers for wire can work well or the large set of "nail" cutters for dogs. The kind of nail cutters that the blade slides up and down. The ring on the end of the cutters that you put the nail through will slip nicely over the teeth that need to be trimmed. Just squeeze the handle and the blade cuts the teeth. No fuss no muss !!!!:rotfl Oh yeah...rescue remedy will help calm your squirrel before you trim.
Good luck!!